or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Dell Inspiron XPS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dell Inspiron XPS  

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I just ordered a Dell Inspiron XPS laptop to replace my Inspiron 8200.

I'm getting it with:
Pentium 4 HT 3.4 GHz (but not the extreme ed.)
15.4" WUXGA screen (1920x1200)
1 GB RAM (might add another 1 GB later)
60 GB 7200 RPM HD
8x CD/DVD Burner
ATI Mobility Radeon 9800 256MB graphics card

I didn't get it specifically for gaming, but as a development workstation (I'm working on 2D and 3D scientific visualization), but am thinking I might use it for some entertainment (already have an XBox).

It has a DVI out, so I may want to connect it to my Samsung HLP6163. Is there any software I should get for that?

For gaming are there any must-have accessories I should pick up?

Dean
post #2 of 13
Is that a generation 4?

As some of you may know I had a lot of problems with my Dell XPS but Customer service is making it right for me finally so I also have ordered a new XPS to replace the one I have had issues with.

My new one will be a generation 4

Gen4Pentium(r) 4 Processor w/ HT Tech Extreme Edition (3.40GHz, 800 FSB),
FREE UPGRADE! Microsoft(r) Windows(r) XP Media Center 2005 Edition Qty:
Memory2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x1GB)2GB5 [311-3771]
Video Card256MB PCI ExpressTM x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI RadeonTM X850 XT PEX850XT [320-4208]
Hard Drive250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)250S [341-0988]
Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices3.5 in Floppy DriveFD [340-1927]
Operating SystemFREE UPGRADE! Microsoft(r) Windows(r) XP Media Center 2005 EditionWMCEP
Sound CardsSound Blaster AudigyTM 2 ZS (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, IEEE 1394 capabilitySBA2X [313-3114]

As far as must have accessories for gaming you pretty much have everything you need right in that box. My Gen 2 Dell XPS was able to handle anything I threw at it game wise.
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
Is that a generation 4?

As some of you may know I had a lot of problems with my Dell XPS ...
Your machine sounds like a desktop. I was referring to the Inspiron XPS laptop.

Dean
post #4 of 13
Oops. missed that part.
Still, specs sound pretty good but I haven't had much experience with Dell Laptops.
I'm guessing you took advantage of their 20 percent off sale over the weekend.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
Oops. missed that part.
Still, specs sound pretty good but I haven't had much experience with Dell Laptops.
I'm guessing you took advantage of their 20 percent off sale over the weekend.
Yes, the 20% off was sweet (plus free 2-day shipping). Ordered it yesterday (Monday) morning and it looks like they're already up to testing the build.

I generally buy a new laptop for SW development every 2.5-3 years, but with that deal I decided to spring for a new one early. The wife's happy about it as she gets my Insirpon 8200.
post #6 of 13
Well my my $1400 laptop is faster for pure processing power, but you beat me in the video card department. The best 3d2001 I have ever gotten, was 13780.
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by dwette
Yes, the 20% off was sweet (plus free 2-day shipping). Ordered it yesterday (Monday) morning and it looks like they're already up to testing the build.

I generally buy a new laptop for SW development every 2.5-3 years, but with that deal I decided to spring for a new one early. The wife's happy about it as she gets my Insirpon 8200.
Because of some aggravation I had wirh Dell I not only got that sale but 20 percent off on top of that so after I return my old PC for full credit I will end up owing them about $150 which is pretty sweet since this new build beats my Gen 2 by a mile.
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
Because of some aggravation I had wirh Dell I not only got that sale but 20 percent off on top of that so after I return my old PC for full credit I will end up owing them about $150 which is pretty sweet since this new build beats my Gen 2 by a mile.
I've had pretty good luck dealing with Dell. Once I had an idiot salesperson and had to go thru his supervisor to get things going. Because of that they ended up doing some upgrades (HD, processor speed, memory) for free.

The only bad experience I had was with an in-home service. They came to replace a bad fan in my laptop and the guy fried one of my RAM modules becuase he didn't take any grounding measures. Dell wouldn't replace the RAM becuase it was third party, but instead cut me a check to more than cover it. It wasn't worth the aggravation, but they did respond reasonably.

Dean
post #9 of 13
I amazed that they crammed 1920 x 1200 resolution in a 15" display. The pixels on my 1920 x 1200 desktop monitor already seem very dense.

EDIT: My monitor is 23"
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by chris5977
I amazed that they crammed 1920 x 1200 resolution in a 15" display. The pixels on my 1920 x 1200 desktop monitor already seem very dense.
My current laptop is 1600x1200 (15"). The new one is 1920x1200 (15.4") but with a 16:10 aspect ratio, which makes it 1.5" wider and a tad shorter.

But for everyday use I just set it to "Large Fonts" in Display Properties and that works pretty well for me. It should be similar with the XPS.
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
So is Half Life 2 the game to get? The impression I get it's sorta the Halo of PC games. Will it run OK on my XPS?

Dean
post #12 of 13
It's not like Halo at all except it's in the first person perspective. HL2 is twice the single player experience of Halo 2.
With Halo 2 the multiplayer is really where it's at.
Halo 2 is an arcadey sort of game with a lot of shooting. it's mostly action whereas HL2 is half action and half adventure with rudimentary puzzle solving.
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
It's not like Halo at all except it's in the first person perspective. HL2 is twice the single player experience of Halo 2.
With Halo 2 the multiplayer is really where it's at.
Halo 2 is an arcadey sort of game with a lot of shooting. it's mostly action whereas HL2 is half action and half adventure with rudimentary puzzle solving.
That sounds like a recommendation for HL2. I may pick it up once I know I can get the XPS connected to my TV OK.

I've never played the original. I'm assuming that doesn't matter (I finished Halo 2 before I finished Halo).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Dell Inspiron XPS