or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread - Page 556

post #16651 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post


Ted, this was exactly my failure mode and I was told that the bad gray scale and washed out color (that I had) was another form of the OB failure!

There are several failure modes. This is one of them.
post #16652 of 17304
Need Some More Help! Okay I got the light ballast in and replaced it, had my fingers crossed, but no luck. Same thing happens when I turn on my Unit, the red light blinks 5 times and I hear vol for about a minute and a half and then the unit shuts off! URGHHH. One thing that I noticed was that the small fan that cools down the ballast does not turn on, maybe just wishful thinking. Talked to the Sony rep in town and after talking to him, he says that the only way to diagnose it correctly after everything I have done is to take it in...so any help will be much appreciated.
post #16653 of 17304
Thanks Mspan and UMR. I'm sad that my Q isn't repairable. So now I guess I'll contact Sony and see what their willing to do to make it right. I appreciate your help and expertise.
post #16654 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfire View Post

Thanks Mspan and UMR. I'm sad that my Q isn't repairable. So now I guess I'll contact Sony and see what their willing to do to make it right. I appreciate your help and expertise.

After you talk with Sony would you kindly return and detail their offer ?

Thanks
post #16655 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfire View Post
Thanks Mspan and UMR. I'm sad that my Q isn't repairable. So now I guess I'll contact Sony and see what their willing to do to make it right. I appreciate your help and expertise.
Glad to help even though you spelled my name wrong.
post #16656 of 17304
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post
Glad to help even though you spelled my name wrong.
Better than mSpam
post #16657 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
after you talk with sony would you kindly return and detail their offer ?

Thanks
+1
post #16658 of 17304
Ack our first "fix it yourself" attempt seems to be going awry. Unfortunately I don't have any advice other than the usual, check all the connections twice and see if anything is loose or possibly reversed.
post #16659 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by inzomnyac View Post
Need Some More Help! Okay I got the light ballast in and replaced it, had my fingers crossed, but no luck. Same thing happens when I turn on my Unit, the red light blinks 5 times and I hear vol for about a minute and a half and then the unit shuts off! URGHHH. One thing that I noticed was that the small fan that cools down the ballast does not turn on, maybe just wishful thinking. Talked to the Sony rep in town and after talking to him, he says that the only way to diagnose it correctly after everything I have done is to take it in...so any help will be much appreciated.


Here as everything I could find.
looks like you need a TV service person who can check why the set does not see power to the lamp.

 

Qualia 6.pdf 163.9755859375k . file
post #16660 of 17304
Thanks GUYS! I guess I am stuck loading this 350 lb pig on to my truck to take it to the Masters of Sony...wish me luck....!!! Thanks again for all the help and I hope I didnt overlook anything, I double, triple and cuadruple checked all the connections, so we should be good....gonna be a scary ride to the sony rep...he promised he could unload, I have 4 guys lined up to load up on my truck!!!
post #16661 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by inzomnyac View Post

Thanks GUYS! I guess I am stuck loading this 350 lb pig on to my truck to take it to the Masters of Sony...wish me luck....!!! Thanks again for all the help and I hope I didnt overlook anything, I double, triple and cuadruple checked all the connections, so we should be good....gonna be a scary ride to the sony rep...he promised he could unload, I have 4 guys lined up to load up on my truck!!!

It appears it takes a village (and a pickup) to have any hope of fixing humpty dumpty when it fails again. Careful that thing is a real pain to move.
post #16662 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by inzomnyac View Post

Thanks GUYS! I guess I am stuck loading this 350 lb pig on to my truck to take it to the Masters of Sony...wish me luck....!!! Thanks again for all the help and I hope I didnt overlook anything, I double, triple and cuadruple checked all the connections, so we should be good....gonna be a scary ride to the sony rep...he promised he could unload, I have 4 guys lined up to load up on my truck!!!

What ?
The tv service people do not make house calls where you reside ?
post #16663 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

what ?
The tv service people do not make house calls where you reside ?

+1????

You REALLY don't want to have move it if you can help it.

Chas
post #16664 of 17304
Well, I have all but completely given up on the possibility of restoring the OB on my Q which is now starting to exhibit the green OB defect.
I was ready to remove my OB and sent several emails to John Breton about rebuilding the OB.
Alas, Mr Breton must be so busy rebuilding Sony XBR OBs that he hasn't found the time to answer my emails. He has an unlisted telephone number which is very unusual for someone who is attempting to solicit business.

Must be great to be in such demand that you can overlook at least a bit of professional courtesy.
Very disappointing.

There is a proliferation of new large screen tv sets about to come to market.
All with 70 inch+ screens. Back lit LEDS, RP DLp, Utra HD (3,840 x 2,160 ) and 3D.
Hope my Qualia hangs in there until I can make a decision on which set to buy.
post #16665 of 17304
Thread Starter 
A 75" 3D TV from Samsung, all at the incredibly reminiscent amount of $13,000.00 Deja vu?
post #16666 of 17304
After the Q, my rule of thumb has become to divide the price by 5 and consider that the annual cost of ownership. Decide if that is an acceptable number. Our Q's lasted 5 years, and frankly, I'd rather have a new TV in the new sizes and new features than repair the beast. But, $2600 per year is about double what I'd be willing to pay, after the Q experience. I went into the Q with the cultural memory of CRT tv's with their seemingly infinite lifetimes. The technology is just moving too fast and i have had to readjust to a 5 year timeline before I succomb to upgradeitis. I've been grateful to Sony for giving me the interim XBR60 as a bridge to the next step change which thestewman mentions. 2012 seems to be a key year for a lot of good new things and may be the high water mark until big OLED and/or glasses-less 3D comes along.
post #16667 of 17304
After telling them everything I had done to the TV, they said that there wasnt much they could do at the house, they would have to diagnose it at the shop. I took it in today, took four of us to load onto the back of the truck and four to unload. The repair guy is very reputable with outstanding reviews on YELP, unlike the service people Sony recommended to me. We shall see, he said two days and he should know, but not to worry...I have my fingers crossed, I TRULY LOVE MY QUALIA!!!!!!!!! Without a doubt I have not been able to find anything that I would want to replace it with!!! =(
post #16668 of 17304
I corresponded with John Breton and he just didn't seem too enthusiastic or optimistic about taking on the Q OB project. My sense of things was that it was going to entail too much time for so few Qs in the marketplace.

In my case I'll make the best deal I can with Sony when my OB fails (again) for another set and then move on. I hope we all keep the thread going for awhile. I can use a support group.
post #16669 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofer View Post

I corresponded with John Breton and he just didn't seem too enthusiastic or optimistic about taking on the Q OB project. My sense of things was that it was going to entail too much time for so few Qs in the marketplace.

In my case I'll make the best deal I can with Sony when my OB fails (again) for another set and then move on. I hope we all keep the thread going for awhile. I can use a support group.

He never even responded to my emails.
So there is no other avenue to get the OB rebuilt.
post #16670 of 17304
This certainly has taken a dark turn, the OB light has dimmed and the do-it-yourself trade seems to be fraught with peril. Will anything save the Q? Tune in next week for more in the amazing Q saga! Entries into the participant pool are now closed no refunds on your 13k admittance price.
post #16671 of 17304
We are in luck!
B & O has announced an 85 plasma for sale.
Only $85,000.
Saw it in the Los Angeles Times Tech section.
Our lucky day.
Dave
post #16672 of 17304
post #16673 of 17304
Yesterday at a big box retail store a 65" Panny was about $4K, and they had an ad for an 85"er for about $24K and I think the 103"er was close to 50 large.

I was at a trade show once where Panny had those three sizes next to each other. After drooling over the 103", the 65" looked like an iPhone screen.
post #16674 of 17304
Someone has posted a picture of the 70" Sharp and it looks like it has bad uneven backlighting. This was the killer on my Samsung edge-lit. My eyes get drawn to the spots I know will show up with certain pictures every time I watch it. The fully backlit LG I have doesn't suffer from this problem.
post #16675 of 17304
I just joined AVS today. My color block starting going about 2 weeks ago. They are offering me a KDL60EX720. I went to Bestbuy to look at it, I'm not impressed. Talked to Sony today about the problem and they said they will give me the new set but I can't buy a new CB from them, idiots. I'm not giving up on the 006 yet. Has anybody else settled with Sony? What did they offer?
post #16676 of 17304
If you take the time to review the more recent posts in this thread, you'll find out everything there is to know about the Qualia optical block problems.

The nutshell version is that we believe that the OB was a flawed design that cannot be repaired; Sony has been making deals with Qualia owners for various replacement 60" sets. Without speaking for anyone else here, I would make the best deal you can with Sony and move on.
post #16677 of 17304
+1. Anyone else have a recent (last month) offer from Sony?
post #16678 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofer View Post

If you take the time to review the more recent posts in this thread, you'll find out everything there is to know about the Qualia optical block problems.

The nutshell version is that we believe that the OB was a flawed design that cannot be repaired; Sony has been making deals with Qualia owners for various replacement 60" sets. Without speaking for anyone else here, I would make the best deal you can with Sony and move on.

It is sad to say, but there is no other choice, since John Breton the OB rebuilder has refused to respond to any requests for help or information.
post #16679 of 17304
Hey guys! Just an update on my negotiations with Sony regarding my defective optical block. I called the 1-800 number and talked to someone in India. They offered me a free 60" starter model to replace my Qualia, not happy about that. Told me I had one week to decide. Then went to the Facebook page, "I have a defective Sony TV" made a single post and was connected to someone from Sony right away. They were very nice and listened when I told them that the Sony TV I'm most interested in won't be available till August (the 65" XBR-929 series) Spoke to Sarah from Sony Listens team and she told me that since they have no "official" information on that model, they could keep my event file open until that model is released. I don't know what they'll charge me for the replacement, but I'm really impressed with their attempts to keep me happy. Sony will keep me as a loyal customer. They did also offer to fix it but couldn't guarantee how long the repair would last.
post #16680 of 17304
Good news. Always go to the facebook site, not customer (non)service. The difference between 60 and 70 is very apparent. Between 65 and 70, not so much. I'd probably be happy long-term with a 65. My wife FAR prefers the sharper picture of the LCD for TV shows, as compared to the more film-like RPTV picture. Since we have an FP system for movies, it's clear to me that our "upgrade" from the XBR60LX900 will be a larger LCD ( I don't want to add another heat source to our Houston house, in the form of a large Plasma, even though the picture is superior).

Sony does seem to have markedly improved it's attitude after the facebook site was established. It was terrible in the beginning. The internet works for the consumer, once again!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread