or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread - Page 571

post #17101 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb007 View Post

$25,000.00. No thanks. I'm done with spending big dollars on first time Sony experiments, even if they do look amazing,

i'm with you...a friend of mine sent me an email yesterday about this tv and i said the very same thing...never again will i spend that kind of money on a tv...it was the very same "friend" who basically was responsible for me getting the Q in the first place eek.gif
post #17102 of 17304
I have noted the number of recent posts here, talking about the group, its members, Q owners moving on to newer sets, and ruminations on the future of this thread. I just wanted to give everyone an update on my personal situation, and to let you know that I appreciate those of you that have stuck around and continued to post updates regarding your adventures.

I think as Qualia owners we all share a passion for quality, and an eye for perfection. So, for this reason, I am most interested to hear the thoughts of this community as new technologies emerge. Perhaps the thread should be renamed, or restarted, as a group for like-minded, high-end aficionados. Just sayin'...

Anyway, I still have my Qualia -- one of the first ones. Two years ago I had the optical block replaced by Sony (for free -- great customer service!). I never had the green blob problem, but I did have some other slight color aberrations, and macroblocking, so I wanted to make sure I got one of the replacement optical blocks before they ran out or discontinued the free replacement program.

We still love the picture on our set, though we've now moved, and it is in a much smaller room so we are beginning to think about the new flat screens (an 80" model would be great), but I really hate what I see when I go into the stores. I understand the difference that calibration, or just turning off that damn "vivid" setting can make, but there is still something about the new LCD sets -- the Sharps, etc. -- that just hasn't grabbed me yet.

However, another issue we are coming up against is HDCP. We are unable to stream HD content because of this limitation, though I am still far from satisfied with the quality of streaming video, but that's another story -- I hate the "it's good enough" mentality that has allowed this media to supplant higher quality options. But, if I learned anything from working in the audio industry years ago it's that consumers will always choose convenience over quality. Sad, but true.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for your thoughts and passion. I'll continue to follow your posts here with interest. Onward...

All the best,
David
post #17103 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

hmm, link works for me...takes me to the engadget page which discusses sony's 84 inch 4k tv being displayed at ifa...maybe if you copy/paste the full url:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/29/sonys-84-inch-4k-bravia-kd-84x9005-hits-the-ifa-show-floor-we/

OK, it works now.
post #17104 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb007 View Post

$25,000.00. No thanks. I'm done with spending big dollars on first time Sony experiments, even if they do look amazing,


A BIG +1 for me!! And, in my case, not just for TV's!
post #17105 of 17304
David. I agree with what you say about the new consumers requirements. Can you imagine watching a movie on the beach with a 7" screen. And don't get me started on MP3's!

Take care,

Dave, too
post #17106 of 17304
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfokos View Post

Perhaps the thread should be renamed, or restarted, as a group for like-minded, high-end aficionados. Just sayin'...

The beauty of this thread is many of the "originals" still follow and post, as well as some "newer" people. The rest of the forum stays out and doesn't hassle us with "my set is better than a Q006," etc. Since we all know how to get here, why draw attention to ourselves with a new thread or title? This has been one of the longer running, informative and civil threads on AVS forum. I hope it lasts until I get my first 16K, holographic TV. biggrin.gif

jb007
post #17107 of 17304
Hey guys. Count me in on continuing with the thread, as is. We are a different breed of A/V folks. Some, mature "cough, cough" in age; all mature in thought. I was so naive about online forums back in 2005. I never realized how nasty some of the flaming and trolling could get. As a group, we are in it for the right reasons. This is our hobby, our passion, dare I say, our illness :-). Also, even as like-minded enthusiasts, we have some other off-topic interests that we have mined, and we didn't need a moderator or rogue poster telling us to get back on point. Let's keep it the Q thread.

As for me, I have had my 92" Mits for a couple of weeks now. It's a great value/performance display. I paid about 80% LESS for it than the Q. Actually, it costs less than the center channel speaker in front of it. No, it doesn't have that drop dead razor sharp picture that the HX929 has that was my replacement set. I have a light controlled room and the glossy screen isn't an issue. And there is always the sweet spot you look for, just like in a movie theater or some FP systems. It's also surprisingly bright enough, with replacement bulbs being under a hundred bucks. This is a great transition display for now. If anyone is considering getting one of these, do it before the 2011s are sold out. The only differences from the new sets are related to streaming and transmitting features and not to display technologies.

I'm looking forward to the eventual OLED and 4K stuff when pricing gets reasonable. Yeah, I'm also done with big dollar early adopter halo products. Although you audio guys know that compared to high-end audio components, video is a bargain. Let keeps this thread alive.

Regards,

Joe
post #17108 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb007 View Post

The beauty of this thread is many of the "originals" still follow and post, as well as some "newer" people. The rest of the forum stays out and doesn't hassle us with "my set is better than a Q006," etc. Since we all know how to get here, why draw attention to ourselves with a new thread or title? This has been one of the longer running, informative and civil threads on AVS forum. I hope it lasts until I get my first 16K, holographic TV. biggrin.gif
jb007

Indeed it is a warm and cozy environment for many of us - I like your vision jb 16k holographic, I am aiming for a mere 8k 3d glasses free without "sweet spots" myself.
post #17109 of 17304
Hi Joe. Yeah, I's one of the high end audio guys who got Stereophile. I still have my red "S" T shirt!

Love the Tube Guys. When you go over and listen the sound is usually better than what you are hearing because...

A) They just put in new tubes and they are not broken in yet.

or

B) They need to put in new tubes as the ones you are hearing are old.


Anyway, I am sure my next display will be under $5, 000. I still have my Meridian Proc that will not do the lossless Dolby or DTS. It will be a long time before I spend that much on a proc, either...perhaps an Integra?
post #17110 of 17304
Good point jb -- I'm with you! It's almost like a secret society. Do we get decoder rings, or a secret handshake, or t-shirts? ; )

And mspan, I completely sympathize! I used to work for cj in the golden years of Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. I was their 6th employee. I still think the Premier One with 6550s was the best amp I've ever heard. Incredible bass from those 6550s.

By the way, if anyone is interested... last year I moved to a smaller place so I now find myself with a Theta Casablanca preamp and a Theta Intrepid 5-ch. amp for sale.

All the best,
David
post #17111 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfokos View Post

Good point jb -- I'm with you! It's almost like a secret society. Do we get decoder rings, or a secret handshake, or t-shirts? ; )
And mspan, I completely sympathize! I used to work for cj in the golden years of Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. I was their 6th employee. I still think the Premier One with 6550s was the best amp I've ever heard. Incredible bass from those 6550s.
By the way, if anyone is interested... last year I moved to a smaller place so I now find myself with a Theta Casablanca preamp and a Theta Intrepid 5-ch. amp for sale.
All the best,
David

Well, David, it has been a long time since I used Valves. :-)
I remember I built my first tube amp. It was an Eico HF12. When I "upgraded" I ended up using it as a plate modulator for a 2 meter AM ham radio rig decades ago!
post #17112 of 17304
Hi guys,

Been reading the thread for awhile and just wanted to contribute my story to the pile
Optic block started to give out and then power supply went dead. Was hoping to get hx929 as that seemed to be the best case scenerio but to my surprise they offered me the 950 to be delivered in November! They are charging me taxes and the environmental levy which equates to about $700, tried to get it waived but didn't put up much resistence when they told me that was the best they could do. I'm not sure if my situation is different because I reside in Canada or if this is part the continuance of the program. Anyways, be back to post when it arrives.

Cheers
post #17113 of 17304
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4hire View Post

Hi guys,
Been reading the thread for awhile and just wanted to contribute my story to the pile
Optic block started to give out and then power supply went dead. Was hoping to get hx929 as that seemed to be the best case scenerio but to my surprise they offered me the 950 to be delivered in November! They are charging me taxes and the environmental levy which equates to about $700, tried to get it waived but didn't put up much resistence when they told me that was the best they could do. I'm not sure if my situation is different because I reside in Canada or if this is part the continuance of the program. Anyways, be back to post when it arrives.
Cheers

That's wonderful news!! Congratulations!
post #17114 of 17304
Hey, mpsan, hope you've been well. Yeah, high-end audio gets crazy expensive, with firehose cabling, etc. On the other hand, I'm just settling in with the best price/performance audio piece I've ever had, the Oppo BDP-95. I'm using the analog out connections and the sound is improved over my Lexicon universal player, which cost over three times more than the Oppo. The newest Lexicon player is actually a re-badged Oppo anyway. When I'm ready to upgrade my Lexicon processor, right now the choice would a Marantz, although the Integra, while more expensive, is also a good bargain. I'm set on using balanced connections so I've narrowed it down to those two.
post #17115 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4hire View Post

Hi guys,
Been reading the thread for awhile and just wanted to contribute my story to the pile
Optic block started to give out and then power supply went dead. Was hoping to get hx929 as that seemed to be the best case scenerio but to my surprise they offered me the 950 to be delivered in November! They are charging me taxes and the environmental levy which equates to about $700, tried to get it waived but didn't put up much resistence when they told me that was the best they could do. I'm not sure if my situation is different because I reside in Canada or if this is part the continuance of the program. Anyways, be back to post when it arrives.
Cheers

That is very good news - it appears Sony is still trying to make things right, but I know I wouldn't wait if you have any symptoms and haven't contacted them yet as who knows what the future will hold. I am pleasantly surprised that the door is still open and it has me giving Sony some kudos for not putting this under the budget axe.
post #17116 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofer View Post

Hey, mpsan, hope you've been well. Yeah, high-end audio gets crazy expensive, with firehose cabling, etc. On the other hand, I'm just settling in with the best price/performance audio piece I've ever had, the Oppo BDP-95. I'm using the analog out connections and the sound is improved over my Lexicon universal player, which cost over three times more than the Oppo. The newest Lexicon player is actually a re-badged Oppo anyway. When I'm ready to upgrade my Lexicon processor, right now the choice would a Marantz, although the Integra, while more expensive, is also a good bargain. I'm set on using balanced connections so I've narrowed it down to those two.

I hope you are doing OK as well. Long time since we have talked.

Yup. I am already using balanced from my Meridian, but only fronts and center. Not sure why rears are not balanced. I like the Marantz also. I also was looking at the OPPO.

Right now I am fighting a battery purchased 2 years ago for our Compaq Laptop. Not a bad laptop, but heavy. A few days ago I went by the room it was in and thought I smelled smoke! I went in and it was burning...a few minutes away from starting the house on fire! The Laptop, battery, and the cooling base are destroyed along with a damaged tabletop. The battery must have shorted internally! I sent pictures to the place I bought it and their supplier wanted my UPC code. I wonder if they will say they are sorry but what can they do!!!!!!!!!

You know, there was something to be said when I was a kid and we watched TV on a round 7" green screen Motorola. I then got a 12 watt HiFi amp I built (Eico) and a speaker, I think it was a University speaker system. All we had was one channel and it sounded great and we actually used this stuff. We did not spend several days a week trying to fix it or make it do what it was supposed to do! I guess I'm just an old guy with no use for "FaceTube" :-)
Edited by mpsan - 9/15/12 at 7:57pm
post #17117 of 17304
Hi everyone
I've been reading this thread for some time now.

A few months ago, I was able to get my hands on a 70" Qualia.
It has been working just fine, looks great...till yesterday.

Now I know the symptoms of the optical block issue...the discoloration, green blobs, etc.

Yesterday, my set wouldn't fire up.

The power/standby light would continue to flash, audio was there.
After powering down a few times, the bulb finally fired, but, the image was very dark, I would say 25% of what it should be.

The lamp light is not on or flashing, and it takes a few reboots to get it to fire.

Is this just a bulb issue or something related to the optical block?

Awaiting your expertise smile.gif

Tony
post #17118 of 17304
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech9ine View Post

Hi everyone
I've been reading this thread for some time now.
A few months ago, I was able to get my hands on a 70" Qualia.
It has been working just fine, looks great...till yesterday.
Now I know the symptoms of the optical block issue...the discoloration, green blobs, etc.
Yesterday, my set wouldn't fire up.
The power/standby light would continue to flash, audio was there.
After powering down a few times, the bulb finally fired, but, the image was very dark, I would say 25% of what it should be.
The lamp light is not on or flashing, and it takes a few reboots to get it to fire.
Is this just a bulb issue or something related to the optical block?
Awaiting your expertise smile.gif
Tony

Based upon the symptoms you describe, I would definitely suggest replacing the lamp first.
post #17119 of 17304
Well, I've arranged for my Q to be picked up for recycling in anticipation of my 950 getting delivered. I have to take the speakers off to be able to fit it in the elevator ( yes I actually bought this tv for my apartment). My question: is there any use in keeping these speakers? It has the square Sony connectors for those that haven't taken them off

Thanks for any input!
post #17120 of 17304
About to go pick up my iPhone 5, unfortunately they only got in 1 of my 2 pre-orders so I imagine the wife will get to play with one first (her old one got stolen and she has been living with a "windows phone" ). I am interested to see how the camera does as while I like my Nikon D5100 with 18-200 lens I just don't find myself able to carry it with 2 smaller children enough. A huge percentage of my shots end up coming from my iPhone 4 and they are not as bad as I would have expected. The iPhone 5 isn't likely to make me want to give up on a quality camera but I hope it will make me think to take more shots especially in less than ideal lighting when my "real" camera isn't with.
post #17121 of 17304
Hmm 75 inches and 10k asking price, I am glad they are making them bigger although the idea that it still requires glasses at that price point seems a bit odd, then again it also isn't 4k so that is 2 strikes against it. I am glad they are making them big and technically 4 figures...

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-es9000-hdtv-led-series-9,18218.html
post #17122 of 17304
Thread Starter 
post #17123 of 17304
Hi Canuck, I am located in Toronto, and have PMed you to get more detail on your experience with sony Canada
Best Ross
post #17124 of 17304
I must admit I keep hoping to hear someone has come up with a way to save the old Qs... Mine still gets some usage as a kids tv and they aren't too concerned with the blob effect yet (but that puppy is definitely growing). I wish replacing the OB was a sane proposition, heck replacing it with one that isn't too old would be cool (starting with a nonblob one of course). I have a closet with gobs of lamps waiting to be used and some real doubts if the tv will be usable that long. AH well fun to dream, Best of Luck all you fellow Qualians the road goes ever on and on and who knows maybe something will turn up to unite us again smile.gif.
post #17125 of 17304
I guess anything can happen if Han, Leia, and Luke come back with original actors there may be hope in a Disney Star Wars world.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/harrison-ford-says-open-another-star-wars-film-185829069.html
post #17126 of 17304
End of year 2012 - what direction is everyone headed?

Though my Q still works great (no blobs) I am thinking I may soon get a new set -- one that will give me back 24" of floor space in our very small room, one that doesn't have trouble streaming HDCP material, etc.

Since people here in The Forum have spoken so highly of the Sharp 844, I am thinking that may be the direction I go. Is the 844 still near the top of most of your lists, or have there been newer (comparably priced) sets that have come out that you feel are better?

Also, where are people finding the best deals?

Thanks, and best wishes to all for a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Best,
David
post #17127 of 17304
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfokos View Post

End of year 2012 - what direction is everyone headed?
Though my Q still works great (no blobs) I am thinking I may soon get a new set -- one that will give me back 24" of floor space in our very small room, one that doesn't have trouble streaming HDCP material, etc.
Since people here in The Forum have spoken so highly of the Sharp 844, I am thinking that may be the direction I go. Is the 844 still near the top of most of your lists, or have there been newer (comparably priced) sets that have come out that you feel are better?
Also, where are people finding the best deals?
Thanks, and best wishes to all for a very Happy Thanksgiving!
Best,
David

Just moved into a new casa. I went with Sharp Elite 70" Pro-70EX5FD in family room, Sony (gasp) VPL-VW95ES projector in theater room and Sony 65" XBR65HX929 (provide by Sony because of Q006) in master bedroom. So far, after three weeks, I have been happy with all. umr will be making visit in a couple weeks and I expect to be even more pleased with my purchases. More infor to come after that time. Good luck Doc.
post #17128 of 17304
My Qualia is about five years old and still on its first optical block, with no problems. Doesn't have a ton of hours on it, perhaps 4,000 or so. Is there anyone out there with a Qualia that has not failed, and how long has it been going?

I understand it is likely (certainly) just a matter of time but I am wondering if there are any success stories out there.

Wonder why the SXRD front projectors do not have this problem?
post #17129 of 17304
My Qualia will be 7 years old in mid-January and received a new optical block install under a Sony extended warranty almost exactly a year ago.
(Sony gave me the a new Sony 65 at the same time, which I sold for cash new-in-the-box.)

Still no yellow blob. I hope I get another year or two out of it.

If it blew today, I'd have a hard time deciding between the picture quality of the Sharp 70 Elite and the dramatic size of the Sharp 90 . . .

Does anyone have a left over unused lamp from having sold or to-the-dumped their Qualia?

If so, please PM me your price.

Thanks,

Chris
post #17130 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabGuy View Post

My Qualia is about five years old and still on its first optical block, with no problems. Doesn't have a ton of hours on it, perhaps 4,000 or so. Is there anyone out there with a Qualia that has not failed, and how long has it been going?
I understand it is likely (certainly) just a matter of time but I am wondering if there are any success stories out there.
Wonder why the SXRD front projectors do not have this problem?

I've thought about that too. DiLA and DLP and even 3-LCD are still used in projectors as well. I suspect that the same problems they all have are also seen in projectors, but that we don't expect as much from a projector. I don't think anyone expects to use a projector for five years, running eight hours a day. They tend to be reserved for sports events and movies, and I doubt if anyone has a projector that doesn't also have a tv for more routine use.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread