or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread - Page 574

post #17191 of 17304
Sounds really sexy:cool:
post #17192 of 17304
Been away a long time (OT)...

I haven't been perusing the AVS Forum much recently, but my 2007 KDS-55A2020 recently developed the green tinting problem. Posted some on the relevant threads, etc. Then I remembered that back in the 2005-06 time frame that there was one killer thread that I remembered always reading through first thing in the morning when I came into work. After about 5 minutes of searching I came across it. This one smile.gif

It was reading through this thread that got me very excited about being able to get the TV that I eventually ended up with. It is unfortunate that the SXRD line developed the severe problems that eventually cropped up, but as we all know, new technology carries risk. I remember how excited I was when I got the TV for about $1,800 from Onecall. The plasmas at the time were something like 2x as much. Even given that I may end up now buying a new TV, I am very happy with how it performed up until now. And also a big thank you to all the posters here whose posts I very much enjoyed reading back in the day. Including everything that I learned while scanning this and many other threads on AVS. I even remembered some of the names: umr, thestewman, jb007 even though it was quite a while ago. Very nice community here, and glad to have been part of it smile.gif

RT
post #17193 of 17304
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberToe View Post

Been away a long time (OT)...

I haven't been perusing the AVS Forum much recently, but my 2007 KDS-55A2020 recently developed the green tinting problem. Posted some on the relevant threads, etc. Then I remembered that back in the 2005-06 time frame that there was one killer thread that I remembered always reading through first thing in the morning when I came into work. After about 5 minutes of searching I came across it. This one smile.gif

It was reading through this thread that got me very excited about being able to get the TV that I eventually ended up with. It is unfortunate that the SXRD line developed the severe problems that eventually cropped up, but as we all know, new technology carries risk. I remember how excited I was when I got the TV for about $1,800 from Onecall. The plasmas at the time were something like 2x as much. Even given that I may end up now buying a new TV, I am very happy with how it performed up until now. And also a big thank you to all the posters here whose posts I very much enjoyed reading back in the day. Including everything that I learned while scanning this and many other threads on AVS. I even remembered some of the names: umr, thestewman, jb007 even though it was quite a while ago. Very nice community here, and glad to have been part of it smile.gif

RT

The action on this thread has certainly dwindled down to a post a month or so, but there is still a core group and we do stay in contact and sometimes discuss new offerings. I recently donated my Q006 to a local law school. It is still in perfect working condition with no blobs or tint, but it is only a matter of time. Our main TV is a 70" Sharp Elite downstairs, the Sony 65" in our bedroom and the Sony 95ES projector in the theater. All nice pictures, but I do still miss the Q smile.gif
post #17194 of 17304
The end of the jb007 Q... a law school and no dreaded blob or tint. Kind of nice that it is going out on a high note to see continued use (and if it is being used in a class it may last almost forever before the issues come in). There is something about the Q that isn't easily matched even watching one with some blob issues I can see it is special. That mixture of softness and sharpness just isn't able to be matched with the new digital feels.
post #17195 of 17304
I just have to drop in occasionally to be part of this apparently eternal thread. Long may it continue...

(Back in my plasma loving days, the Qualia 006 was the first and really only rear projection set that made me lust after it).
post #17196 of 17304
They just don't make threads like this anymore...
post #17197 of 17304
Indeed I hope we start hearing more about toys... personally I am planning on a ps4 and just picked up "The Last of Us". I will see if it lives up to the hype - the PS4 sounds like it "might" managed to hookup with oculus rift someday in the future which really is where games at least need to go... an interactive movie sounds fun too of course.
post #17198 of 17304
Yesterday I spent all day at Infocomm in Orlando. While the show is geared toward commercial applications, all the major players (except JVC) were there and it gave me a chance to talk to engineers and highers up about what might be coming for us.

Most of the emphasis on projectors was developing laser and LED light engines and passive 3D. LG's 3D was incredibly bright and amazing. Many companies and specialty groups were showing holographic stuff, which was gimmicky but fun. Sony had a 55" OLED that was stunning, but large screens are out of the question price-wise for a long time. The Sony guy was well aware of the Qualia group and had experience with SXRD. He was very sympathetic to us and was really glad to see, finally, that we were taken care of, albeit it was too spotty for too long. Like me, he had a 65" 929 and agreed that full array back-lit is the real deal and all of the edge-lit sets have even lighting and dimming limitations. At the very least you don't have the trade-offs with full array, but he did say the R&D on edge-lit is actively working to improve diffusion. Of course I emphasized my Holy Grail 90"-100" 4K for under 8-10 grand (gotta be realistic) with even back-lighting. He said don't be surprised if we are there sooner rather than later. I threw in the LG being 10 grand cheaper, but he held his ground on side-by-side comparisons. I'm sure he's right but only people like us care about those kinds of no compromise performance.

One comment I kept hearing was how the projectors are getting so bright and cheap that many folks are going to start using them much more for ordinary viewing, with light control being less important than in the past. I think the jury is still out on that one but the Mitsubishi folks pushing laser had a point insofar as their units were operating with almost no heat, super bright and whisper quiet.

I hope everyone is doing well and we keep the thread going.

Joe
post #17199 of 17304
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofer View Post

Yesterday I spent all day at Infocomm in Orlando. While the show is geared toward commercial applications, all the major players (except JVC) were there and it gave me a chance to talk to engineers and highers up about what might be coming for us.

Most of the emphasis on projectors was developing laser and LED light engines and passive 3D. LG's 3D was incredibly bright and amazing. Many companies and specialty groups were showing holographic stuff, which was gimmicky but fun. Sony had a 55" OLED that was stunning, but large screens are out of the question price-wise for a long time. The Sony guy was well aware of the Qualia group and had experience with SXRD. He was very sympathetic to us and was really glad to see, finally, that we were taken care of, albeit it was too spotty for too long. Like me, he had a 65" 929 and agreed that full array back-lit is the real deal and all of the edge-lit sets have even lighting and dimming limitations. At the very least you don't have the trade-offs with full array, but he did say the R&D on edge-lit is actively working to improve diffusion. Of course I emphasized my Holy Grail 90"-100" 4K for under 8-10 grand (gotta be realistic) with even back-lighting. He said don't be surprised if we are there sooner rather than later. I threw in the LG being 10 grand cheaper, but he held his ground on side-by-side comparisons. I'm sure he's right but only people like us care about those kinds of no compromise performance.

One comment I kept hearing was how the projectors are getting so bright and cheap that many folks are going to start using them much more for ordinary viewing, with light control being less important than in the past. I think the jury is still out on that one but the Mitsubishi folks pushing laser had a point insofar as their units were operating with almost no heat, super bright and whisper quiet.

I hope everyone is doing well and we keep the thread going.

Joe

Thanks for that info Joe. Very interesting.
post #17200 of 17304
Pondering letting geek squad do a calibration (it is a benefit of silver premier) on the 65hx929, not sure if it is a good idea or not - hopefully at worst I could reset it to factory. Any experiences with them? I certainly wouldn't expect UMR level service, but with a price of free it seems like little to lose.
post #17201 of 17304
Hmm just replaced a Qualia Lamp... a part of me is getting paranoid about new ones. If anyone knows of a great really cheap source please post or pm... The math of new lamps with a blob makes me wonder if it may be time to consider using my old assemblies with a new bulb. The price on new tvs is dropping drastically but I still think that it is worth holding out for 4k tvs with glasses free 3d before I even think of buying anything else. The 3d glasses with built in screens do seem like they will become a bigger and bigger part of life (although god everyone sitting there with headsets... it reminds me of the matrix when keanu goes under to train...
post #17202 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesirjay View Post

Hmm just replaced a Qualia Lamp... a part of me is getting paranoid about new ones. If anyone knows of a great really cheap source please post or pm... The math of new lamps with a blob makes me wonder if it may be time to consider using my old assemblies with a new bulb. The price on new tvs is dropping drastically but I still think that it is worth holding out for 4k tvs with glasses free 3d before I even think of buying anything else. The 3d glasses with built in screens do seem like they will become a bigger and bigger part of life (although god everyone sitting there with headsets... it reminds me of the matrix when keanu goes under to train...

I have a brand new genuine Sony bulb I will sell for less than you can buy one from a supplier.
If interested send me a PM
post #17203 of 17304
Toys I would love to have - http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/24/sony-dev-50v-digital-recording-binoculars/ binoculars that I could easily carry with me with huge zoom and 3d video options smile.gif. My poor camera always seems too bulky so my phone gets a workout at least for nature walking have a pair of binoculars that double as camera, video camera would fit the bill nicely.
post #17204 of 17304
This quote gave me a bit of a chuckle.... The days when TVs commanded huge prices seem to be long gone...

" To be clear, that is $15k per TV. One TV. Fifteen thousand dollars. Slightly curved."

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/22/samsungs-55-inch-curved-oled/#comments
post #17205 of 17304
Is sony still offering the new tv's if you send in your working 006 or if you have one with a green blob? Mines still working but thinking of sending it in if I can get a new 60".
post #17206 of 17304
Don't know if they are still doing the replacement, what they had been doing for awhile was just having you send in the serial number sticker and leaving you to decide how to dispose of the Q when it was past viewable stage. You had to submit photos of the problem (pick any screen where you can see it easily which is usually a dark scene and just take a photo). My blob has been slowly growing for awhile but for bright kids cartoons it isn't too bad so it is getting usage even with the newer tv in residence.
post #17207 of 17304
Wow - I can't believe this thread is still going strong. I was one of the early and frequent posters here but haven't checked it in years. I still own my Q, one bought directly from Sony. I'm not sure if it is because of luck, relatively light usage or the fact that I've always used external cooling fans with the set (it is in a cabinet so I didn't want to take any chances) but somehow I still have not gotten the green blob. The picture has degraded from what I remember, though. The blacks seem to be somewhat blue tinted, something I cannot seem to adjust away. It is still viewable but certainly has a whole lot less of the "wow factor" I bought it for.
post #17208 of 17304
Thread Starter 
Have you tried replacing the lamp?

Long live the Q!!
post #17209 of 17304
No - I probably should go get one and do it. Perhaps that's all it needs.
post #17210 of 17304
I have about 5k hours now on my set, got it with only 2k hours. Still a champ with like new picture. Looking at even the 3-5k tv's at different shops I do not like the picture as much as this tv! It is a shame dlp got dumped by manufacturers most likely from this and other sony tv's bad rep, would have loved to see it get updated with more techy dlp sets.

If you are looking for a lamp be sure to get the stock one and not a knock off, I had two knock offs blow up on me with a loud pop! The new stock one is going strong for over a year.
post #17211 of 17304
I wish I had dodged the blob - seeing it with old films really makes the hx929 pale in comparison. I have 3 new lamps stored up I believe so reluctant to pick up too many more as that should last me quite possibly past the point of watchable condition. It still feels good to see it in action though and I may end up picking up a bulb or two more just on the off chance it will last that long (although 300 or even 100 now seems too darn much for a set with a less than stellar future). I may even experiment with replacing the filament myself if I get that far down the road.
post #17212 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by trad209 View Post

I have about 5k hours now on my set, got it with only 2k hours. Still a champ with like new picture. Looking at even the 3-5k tv's at different shops I do not like the picture as much as this tv! It is a shame dlp got dumped by manufacturers most likely from this and other sony tv's bad rep, would have loved to see it get updated with more techy dlp sets.

If you are looking for a lamp be sure to get the stock one and not a knock off, I had two knock offs blow up on me with a loud pop! The new stock one is going strong for over a year.
I hate to give you some bad news but your sony TV is not a DLP set.
Sony used SXRD technology which is basically a red, blue and green chip that the projection lamp light shines thru.
The heat of the lamp melts the Blue lens causing a green tinted overall picture eventually. There is no way to elude the failure except by minimum use of the set
post #17213 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by trad209 View Post

I have about 5k hours now on my set, got it with only 2k hours. Still a champ with like new picture. Looking at even the 3-5k tv's at different shops I do not like the picture as much as this tv! It is a shame dlp got dumped by manufacturers most likely from this and other sony tv's bad rep, would have loved to see it get updated with more techy dlp sets.

If you are looking for a lamp be sure to get the stock one and not a knock off, I had two knock offs blow up on me with a loud pop! The new stock one is going strong for over a year.

By stock do you mean one with a Sony OEM label?
post #17214 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

I hate to give you some bad news but your sony TV is not a DLP set.
Sony used SXRD technology which is basically a red, blue and green chip that the projection lamp light shines thru.
The heat of the lamp melts the Blue lens causing a green tinted overall picture eventually. There is no way to elude the failure except by minimum use of the set

Hmm, all this time thought it was dlp. I don't think I will ever have a problem, I always keep room temp under 80 and the fan clear and clean. If I do I have done alot of research and talked with people who repair other sxrd screens. Turns out the three filaments themselfs are all the same. The filiment that gets too hot is on the side that the fan is oposite from. Apparently all sxrd this guy repaired all used the same filiments so I just grab any sxrd donor and you have 2 good filiments(3 if there is no green blob). After that it is just a matter of aligning the OB and filiment you replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefchopper View Post

By stock do you mean one with a Sony OEM label?

The stock philips bulb. Just do not get the cheap osram bulb. There are no full lamps with plastics but it is easy to replace. I believe this is the one linked below, not sure. Check the model number on your current bulb.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-SONY-LAMP-FOR-XL-5300-XL-5300U-F-9308-870-0-/390254657139?pt=US_Rear_Projection_TV_Lamps&hash=item5adcfd7e73
post #17215 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

I hate to give you some bad news but your sony TV is not a DLP set.
Sony used SXRD technology which is basically a red, blue and green chip that the projection lamp light shines thru.
The heat of the lamp melts the Blue lens causing a green tinted overall picture eventually. There is no way to elude the failure except by minimum use of the set

At about how many hours does that blob appear? I still am using my Q and to this point have not had it happen to mine. I wonder if it is because my set has had relatively light usage (I'm a snowbird and spend half the year down south) or because I have always had it sitting in a wall unit with external fans behind the set that turn on automatically every time I use the set and give it quite a bit of additional mechanical ventilation.
post #17216 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb007 View Post

Have you tried replacing the lamp?

Long live the Q!!

Thanks for the suggestion - it was the lamp. I hadn't realized it needed replacement because the picture on my set was getting an overwhelmingly blue shade so I assumed it must have been part of the well publicized problem with the light engine. I thought a lamp replacement would make it brighter but not get rid of the blue tint but I was wrong. The tint disappeared with the new lamp.
post #17217 of 17304
Not wishing to be a bearer of bad news... Look carefully at darker scenes... brightness (which a new bulb brings) can actually wash out blobbage and other issues, if you take a screen like the i-link one and turn the brightness way down see if the uniformity and color remains true - if not then you are getting to have the blob effect coming through. I always kept my bulbs on power saver which meant not quite as high of power and I would start noticing the discoloration on darker scenes like the stars in star wars...
post #17218 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by trad209 View Post

Hmm, all this time thought it was dlp. I don't think I will ever have a problem, I always keep room temp under 80 and the fan clear and clean. If I do I have done alot of research and talked with people who repair other sxrd screens. Turns out the three filaments themselfs are all the same. The filiment that gets too hot is on the side that the fan is oposite from. Apparently all sxrd this guy repaired all used the same filiments so I just grab any sxrd donor and you have 2 good filiments(3 if there is no green blob). After that it is just a matter of aligning the OB and filiment you replaced.

Hmm I didn't think there was any fix available for this.... I can't say I would want to put too much money towards "deblobbing" but if there really is a fix available I would love to hear more details... Maybe a DIY guide if we can find a way to get our hands on replacement parts (I know I am blobbing away with green here...).
post #17219 of 17304
Quote:
Originally Posted by trad209 View Post

The stock philips bulb. Just do not get the cheap osram bulb. There are no full lamps with plastics but it is easy to replace. I believe this is the one linked below, not sure. Check the model number on your current bulb.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-SONY-LAMP-FOR-XL-5300-XL-5300U-F-9308-870-0-/390254657139?pt=US_Rear_Projection_TV_Lamps&hash=item5adcfd7e73

Unfortunately all of my boxes say XL-5000, that seems to be XL-5300. At 85 dollars it would be a bit tempting I have convinced myself that 50-75 dollars is about my cap as I have multiple saved up and unless I solve the blob it will get bad enough I can't keep using it. If I were blob free that is a different equation smile.gif.
post #17220 of 17304
FYI this appears to be the one you are looking for...



http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamp-for-Sony-XL-5000-F93087200-HDTV-/200630464806?pt=US_Projector_Lamps_Components&hash=item2eb681f126

BUT - I don't know if any of the ones on ebay right now are the real deal.... The ones who mention Phillips sound decent but their picture is wrong from all the ones I have seen. This one looks like the right bulb but since they aren't showing you the cardboard box and aren't being too clear that it is TRULY a sony OEM new in box that leaves room for them to have messed with the housing etc..
Edited by thesirjay - 9/1/13 at 8:27pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread