or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread - Page 14

post #391 of 17304
Anyone try a HTPC as a DVD player for this set?
post #392 of 17304
Quote:


Originally posted by ADGrant
Penton

There really isn't a good reason why a cablecard would prevent you also using a settop box. The cableco may tell you otherwise of course, they don't want you to use a cablecard.

Someone has already reported that they can record to HD-DVHS from the internal tuner using the firwire ports.

That was me - no problem recording to DVHS via Firewire from the Qualia's ATSC tuner. Also no problem to record DVHS from a Comcast/Motorola 6412 DVR via Firewire. I'm archiving this season's "24" to HD DVHS from the DVR. Only problem with recording cable or satellite from the TV is that I assume the TV will have be turned on and you'll tie up the TV's ATSC tuner or cablecard tuner to record to DVHS. For my needs, I like the idea of a separate set top box with a Firewire output.
post #393 of 17304
Quote:


Originally posted by Joel
Another nice stand that I am considering, the Java series (one is 75" wide and 24" deep for $950) from Sanus systems. www.sanus.com. Has anyone used their stands? No casters, though ...... although I suppose one could put them on oneself.

I would also be interested in how to lock down the 275-lb monster to another stand besides the Sony.

Cheers

The Java stuff looks pretty cool, and attractive prices too!
post #394 of 17304
Ken, thanks. I like the Salamanders too but (1) the Java color works much better for us than the Salamander walnut, and (2) the Java is longer and deeper than the Salamander triples.

Can I correctly characterize the Java color as chocolate brown or is it more black? Thanks

Cheers

P.S.: What online vendors are you referring to that sell it cheaper? Thanks
post #395 of 17304
Quote:


Originally posted by MotorMouth777
<<They have them (Blu-Ray) now on eBay for $3,000 to $4,000.>>



And what exactly would one put in such a prize?

Perhaps, another $3,000 to $4,000
post #396 of 17304
ColorTV, have you tried the iLink standby mode? I got the impression from the manual that this will let you record with the display off.
post #397 of 17304
Just got my 006 this AM... All I can say is you guys were right WOW!!! HDTV is incredible on this... I am watching a DVD now on a Denon 3910 and tried passing 480P vs 480I. The 480i looks better to me less artifacts. Also, Joel I have the Salamander stand. If anyone can point me to "how to upload a picture" I will take a picture of it on the stand. This stand is a little higher than the Sony at 21 1/2 inches. For now, I put the discs, you can buy to move furniture, under the legs so I can slide it easy on the carpet. Special thanks to Colortv, Penton-man and JB007. You input helped me decide on this sight unseen. Back to watching!
post #398 of 17304
Quote:


Originally posted by DreamCatcher
Good question.
I've played around with different settings with my DirecTV HD receiver and really can't tell a difference between setting. That's not saying there isn't a difference we just haven't been able to detect any.

dc

I don't know if it's just my eyes, but it actually looks the best at 1080i on the Directv HD receiver, which was the setting the technician left it at.
post #399 of 17304
Quote:


Originally posted by MotorMouth777
<<They have them (Blu-Ray) now on eBay for $3,000 to $4,000.>>



And what exactly would one put in such a prize?

The Sony models on eBay are both players and recorders. The model number is BDZ-S77. Same player in the Sony Style stores in N.Y. and L.V. They have been out in Japan about a year, some people are just trying to make a buck by shipping them across the ocean.

post #400 of 17304
Quote:


Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
Just got my 006 this AM... All I can say is you guys were right WOW!!! HDTV is incredible on this... I am watching a DVD now on a Denon 3910 and tried passing 480P vs 480I. The 480i looks better to me less artifacts. Also, Joel I have the Salamander stand. If anyone can point me to "how to upload a picture" I will take a picture of it on the stand. This stand is a little higher than the Sony at 21 1/2 inches. For now, I put the discs, you can buy to move furniture, under the legs so I can slide it easy on the carpet. Special thanks to Colortv, Penton-man and JB007. You input helped me decide on this sight unseen. Back to watching!

SRT,

Congrats on receiving your 006. I will try what you did on your 3910 on mine later. I see that you have the Salamander also. Can't wait to see a pic. When you reply on a post, go to attach file and browse your computer to where the pic is located and just add. Make sure it's not too large a file.
post #401 of 17304
Joel:

Chocolate brown doesn't work for me so I was curious about seeing the Java in person. I had spoken with a Sanus rep on the phone before I went out to CES and she characterized it as black which I thought was odd since I believe they refer to the color as "espresso". I looked at it carefully at CES. At first glance I thought it was black but looking carefully I can definitely see brown in there. I think espresso is probably as good a description as it gets.

I may have screwed up on the pricing. I had seen it listed on www.racksandstands.com but it appears as though I was looking at the smaller unit. The larger one, which is the one I assume you are interested in, is $950 as you mentioned.

Joel I don't know if the size works for you but we did see gorgeous A/V furniture from a company called Mizzico Furniture. Their website is www.mizzico.com. Take a look at their living room credenza. I thought the quality was outstanding - far better than the Salamander Designs. I have absolutely no idea what the pricing is like. Probably in the stratosphere but worth investigating. Very substantial stuff.

Ken Golden
post #402 of 17304
Be careful about buying a tall stand. See posts over the last couple pages.
post #403 of 17304
"The Sony models on eBay are both players and recorders."

But are very unlikely to ever played pre-recorded BluRay discs.
post #404 of 17304
Quote:


Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
Just got my 006 this AM... All I can say is you guys were right WOW!!! HDTV is incredible on this... I am watching a DVD now on a Denon 3910 and tried passing 480P vs 480I. The 480i looks better to me less artifacts. Also, Joel I have the Salamander stand. If anyone can point me to "how to upload a picture" I will take a picture of it on the stand. This stand is a little higher than the Sony at 21 1/2 inches. For now, I put the discs, you can buy to move furniture, under the legs so I can slide it easy on the carpet. Special thanks to Colortv, Penton-man and JB007. You input helped me decide on this sight unseen. Back to watching!

You should be able to post a picture from your computer by using the browse button and attaching the file.
I assume your using component cable hookup from your 3910 to your 006?
Because I don't think the 3910 will let you pass 480i through HDMI, for some reason.
I've found the Pioneer 59AVi will pass 480i through HDMI and this seems to work best (letting the 006 do it's 1080p thing).... for me.

dc
post #405 of 17304
Ken: very nice. $2200 with glass doors. It's not clear from the Mizzico site how much weight it will sustain, etc. But thanks for the tip.

NHey, I didn't see a lot of detail on the height in the last few pp. I don't really like the Sony stand at all, and I have seen it in person. So that's not a good option for us. Plus, I have some sizeable ottomans and coffee table between the set and the sofa. 16" stand height seems just too small for me; I would prefer something 20-36" off the floor. How many inches does the screen start from the pedestal base? I don't mind looking up a little bit.

Cheers
post #406 of 17304
Quote:


Originally posted by Joel
Ken: very nice. $2200 with glass doors. It's not clear from the Mizzico site how much weight it will sustain, etc. But thanks for the tip.

NHey, I didn't see a lot of detail on the height in the last few pp. I don't really like the Sony stand at all, and I have seen it in person. So that's not a good option for us. Plus, I have some sizeable ottomans and coffee table between the set and the sofa. 16" stand height seems just too small for me; I would prefer something 20-36" off the floor. How many inches does the screen start from the pedestal base? I don't mind looking up a little bit.

Cheers

10 1/2 "..... I also recommend keeping the 006 as low as possible.

dc
post #407 of 17304
Quote:


Originally posted by DreamCatcher
I assume your using component cable hookup from your 3910 to your 006?
Because I don't think the 3910 will let you pass 480i through HDMI, for some reason.
I've found the Pioneer 59AVi will pass 480i through HDMI and this seems to work best (letting the 006 do it's 1080p thing).... for me.

dc

DreamCatcher,
I haven't been able to do anything with my Denon 3910 because I have been waiting for my toslink switcher, but is it true that I can't pass 480i through HDMI, and would have to go the component route, especially having spent some big bucks on these HDMI cables.
post #408 of 17304
DreamCatcher, thanks. That's more than I thought.

Cheers
post #409 of 17304
Joel:

I don't know how much weight it will sustain but to our eyes it looked like a substantial piece of honest to God furniture. Since they are designing it specifically for home theater use I would assume it will support a Qualia 006. Worth asking them.

Ken Golden
post #410 of 17304
Quote:


Originally posted by mauricef
ColorTV, have you tried the iLink standby mode? I got the impression from the manual that this will let you record with the display off.

Yes, I believe that mode allows the TV to act as an iLink relay, so if your STB is connected to the TV via iLink/Firewire and the TV is turned off, the iLink signal will pass through the TV to another iLink device, such as a DVHS machine or DVR connected to one of the TV's other iLink ports.

My concern is if there is a cablecard in the TV and the TV's power is off, how could one select the cablecard's cable channel and pass it onto a DVHS machine or external DVR via iLink for recording?
post #411 of 17304
Quote:


Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
Just got my 006 this AM... All I can say is you guys were right WOW!!! Special thanks to Colortv, Penton-man and JB007. You input helped me decide on this sight unseen. Back to watching!

I would not give such a glowing review if I didn't think this TV is the winner you now know it is. Most folks aren't going to have a chance to see SXRD in a showroom near term, so we need to depend on each other to lay it out honestly. My thanks to jb007 for his initial review. I placed my order sight unseen based on what he said.

Watched "24" last night with good friends - everyone was just blown away. The SXRD experience is worth the steep admission price!
post #412 of 17304
Quote:


Originally posted by Joel
16" stand height seems just too small for me; I would prefer something 20-36" off the floor. How many inches does the screen start from the pedestal base? I don't mind looking up a little bit.

Although my Chicane stand is taller than the Sony stand and forces a slight upward look, it's under the threshold of annoying and no worse than where I sit at movie theaters. No neck cramps, and nary a complaint from the stream of lookie-loos that have dropped by my house to see this Sony marvel. Faced with the choice again, I'd pick the Chicane in a heartbeat to fit my home's decor. Nonetheless, the Sony stand is likely to give a dead center eyeline in many home theaters.
post #413 of 17304
Anyone try a HTPC as the DVD player for this set?
post #414 of 17304
punkzip,
I am using my htpc mainly to play ripped dvds from another server. It works very nicely via 1080i into the hdmi ports on the tv. I am not having much success getting 1080/24PsF to sync though. The pq when using a htpc is much better than my yamaha s2300 (via component). I am using roxio's dvdmax as a front end and have nvidia as the decoder and graphics card. I am looking into theatertek as a replacement front end but I'm not sure how much of an improvement this will be. The roxio was free with some device that I got a while ago and it works very good. It also passes dd and dts which wmp and other front ends have given me problems. I'm not sure what to do about the 1080/24PsF issue. I've run out of things to try and nvidia doesn't support any issues other the their decoder. It may be that the 006 doesn't want to sync with that setting although the 004 seems to take it with no problem.
brgds,
jp
post #415 of 17304
I was able to get my Denon 3910 to work over HDMI at 480i.

Here is a picture of my set up / stand. The picture was taken with a flash so the screen doesn't look as good... The orange discs under the legs will go once I have the TV set up the way I like it.

Great TV!
LL
post #416 of 17304
Quote:


Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
I was able to get my Denon 3910 to work over HDMI at 480i.

Here is a picture of my set up / stand. The picture was taken with a flash so the screen doesn't look as good... The orange discs under the legs will go once I have the TV set up the way I like it.

Great TV!

SRT,

Did you just simply set it to 480i or is there other things to do? How was the PQ compared to 1080i?

The stand looks great. I especially like the color tone which compliments your sound system? I've never seen that style of Salamander before.
post #417 of 17304
Here is a picture of the screen with HDTV cable show.
LL
post #418 of 17304
Spam;

I've only tried 480p and 480I... I liked 480i better (less artifacts). I'll try higher settings later... My wife is watching news on it right now.
post #419 of 17304
Quote:


Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
Spam;

I've only tried 480p and 480I... I liked 480i better (less artifacts). I'll try higher settings later... My wife is watching news on it right now.

Nice speakers also.... are those the B&W N802's?
I guess you're using phantom center?

dc
post #420 of 17304
Quote:


Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
I was able to get my Denon 3910 to work over HDMI at 480i.

Here is a picture of my set up / stand. The picture was taken with a flash so the screen doesn't look as good... The orange discs under the legs will go once I have the TV set up the way I like it.

Great TV!

Viper,

Nice setup! What speakers?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread