flashed the player with the new firmware, however, it has not solved my macroblocking woes. My macroblocking test disk is Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. It seems like the new firmware has not helped at all in this movie
There is still macroblocking on the walls in the first scene where Harry is in his bedroom. It is quite bad and very unenjoyable. Seems pretty much the same as what it was before.
I will try out more movies later when I have time. I watched "Vertical Limit" last week, pre-new firmware obviously, and I did not notice any macroblocking. However, most of this movie takes place outside where it is bright, with white snow everywhere, and etc, so macroblocking would not be very apparent there anyways. i didn't notice any in the scenes with the girl and those 2 guys who are stuck under the snow from the avalanch (fairly dark in those scenes)