or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › DirecTV concerts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DirecTV concerts  

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
(I think this belongs here 'cos it's very old news)
I just came across this old DirecTV press release for three cocerts, two in HD. http://www.directv.com/press/pressde...12,316,00.html

Man, I really wish they'd repeat those, specially the Frampton concert. Did anyone here see those? Were they good? Was Barry pallatable when in HD, cos I find myself enjoying a whole lot of stuff when in HD that I wouldn't normally like.

------------------
"You can't argue with a confident man"
- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13
post #2 of 6
The quality of these and all of DirecTvs HD Concerts was fantastic, Im really surprised they dont repeat them about once a month.

These definately had the "window effect +" including Yes, Mannilow, Frampton ( probably the worst because of its orange hue), Stone Temple Pilots.

When I saw reviews of Springsteens Concert coming back as good ( best they had ever seen?) I had too wonder what other HD concerts they had seen because Springsteens looked like standard definition when compared to the 199 concerts

------------------
Mark

HTGuide
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Huskerduck:
The quality of these and all of DirecTvs HD Concerts was fantastic, Im really surprised they dont repeat them about once a month.
In another thread one of the senior DirecTV execs seemed to be clueless about DTV programming scheduling in HD that was going on, the forum member concerned seems to have actually started the ball rolling by clueing her in. I suspect that these concerts aren't being shown simply because no one ta DirecTV is really interested in HD programming per se. I really think that attitude could be changing, so it would be wonderful to have the opprtunity to see these. Of course, other factors such as broadcasting rights/costs could play a big factor.

Quote:

These definately had the "window effect +" including Yes, Mannilow, Frampton ( probably the worst because of its orange hue), Stone Temple Pilots.
It was seeing the window effect of the Frampton concert in the demo loop in GG on a well setup Mits that hooked me on HD... I was absolutely gobsmacked when I saw it. Since then, the material I've seen on PBS has also blown me away.

Quote:

When I saw reviews of Springsteens Concert coming back as good ( best they had ever seen?) I had too wonder what other HD concerts they had seen because Springsteens looked like standard definition when compared to the 199 concerts
Well, I guess this question has been talked to death in another thread in the main HD forum, but I will say that I agree with you 100%; on my setup at least, the springsteen concert PQ didn't come close to the Frampton concert PQ.


------------------
"You can't argue with a confident man"
- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13
post #4 of 6
Too bad the Madonna concert will not be in hd....the wife would have loved it.

------------------
Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?
post #5 of 6
An hd ppv channel all concerts in hd would be great.

------------------
Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones:
An hd ppv channel all concerts in hd would be great.
Kipp;
I agree; the concerts I've seen in HD have been stunning. It's the same kind of feeling you have when you are actually there; you find yourself more likely to watch a concert in HD than if it were in SD (but I guess that's probably true for most HD entertainment except Y&R)

------------------
"You can't argue with a confident man"
- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › DirecTV concerts