or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Sony KDF-55/60XS955 owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony KDF-55/60XS955 owners thread - Page 91

post #2701 of 2853
I have been doing some reading on the optical block issues but I have not come across any symptoms like mine (see attached) This was noticed after the set had not been used for approx 3 months. The blue dots are only on the left side of the screen. Optical block or other cause?
LL
LL
post #2702 of 2853
I have a Sony KDF-60XS955 that was purchased on 04/23/2005. It now has the blue discoloration with a central oval in the middle of the screen. Is Sony still offering replacement TVs? If so, who do I contact at Sony and what is the best approach to get a replacement?
Thanks!
post #2703 of 2853
Find Sarah Kepler or Arica Cooper on Facebook. You can also email them at:
SonyListens@am.sony.com
post #2704 of 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0452 View Post

I have a Sony KDF-60XS955 that was purchased on 04/23/2005. It now has the blue discoloration with a central oval in the middle of the screen. Is Sony still offering replacement TVs? If so, who do I contact at Sony and what is the best approach to get a replacement?
Thanks!

They replaced my 60xs955 in September with a 60ex500.

AFAIK, they are still doing that. I posted my problem on the "I have a defective Sony TV" facebook page. Scott Fuentes from the Sony listens group monitors that page and he got in touch with me.
post #2705 of 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by drill View Post

They replaced my 60xs955 in September with a 60ex500.

AFAIK, they are still doing that. I posted my problem on the "I have a defective Sony TV" facebook page. Scott Fuentes from the Sony listens group monitors that page and he got in touch with me.

Did you have to pay anything to get the new TV? Did you have to return the old one?
post #2706 of 2853
If you qualify, you don't have to return your old TV but you do have to send in the serial number sticker on the back of the TV.
post #2707 of 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

If you qualify, you don't have to return your old TV but you do have to send in the serial number sticker on the back of the TV.

Yeah, I qualified over a year ago but at the time they were charging for a replacement set and it wasn't that great of a deal.

I'm just curious if the offer has changed...maybe they are replacing the TV with a new one at no charge? Or a lot less of a charge?
post #2708 of 2853
Offers change depending on multiple factors. Some offers are for free refurbs, or deep discounts on new models.
post #2709 of 2853
Ok, well I'm emailing Sony again per that Facebook page.... I will see if they offer anything better than they did ~2 years go....
post #2710 of 2853
Offers are better but do vary. I paid a bit more than some for my KDL-52EX701 but was very appreciative and love my TV.
post #2711 of 2853
Thanks for the info!!!

I will contact them via the facebook page.
post #2712 of 2853
The menu of choices varies from time to time. I think that the offer Sony makes is based on which TVs have the highest stock levels at their distribution center. The cost seems to vary slightly depending on which model you owned originally, and when you first contact them. It definitely seems to be a highly variable replacement program.

My offers originally ranged from 40" to 55" with costs from free to ~$1200 depending on which model I chose. I negotiated with them and eventually got an offer for a 60" TV that was a little higher than I wanted to pay for replacing a defective TV, but I accepted.

FWIW, I found dealing with Scott from the Sony Listens group to be reasonable and civil. All my dealings with the Sony reps on the phone were the complete opposite ... the phone reps were unreasonable, rude, and they generally came across as uninformed drones reading from a script, and basically unable to help in any way.
post #2713 of 2853
Sony just called me and made an offer for my 60XS955. Offers are better than they were almost 2 years ago. They offered me three different models: 40", 46", and 60". I am probably going to get the 60" .. too bad it's just the EX500 model instead of the EX700. Oh well.
post #2714 of 2853
Hey guys, I have a '04 55xs955 that has bulb went out few months ago. Anyways after reading all the horror stories on this forum about "Blue Blob" problem, I decided just to buy a new replacement LG LED TV. The Sony is sitting in storage now. Nothing wrong with it except it need a new bulb.

I'm contemplating about buying new bulb and reviving the old beast to watch football in the garage. Is it true that many people experienced Blue Blob problem after replacing bulb? Should I even bother to spend the money on new bulb then having a worthless piece of crap to deal with later?
post #2715 of 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpdata View Post

Hey guys, I have a '04 55xs955 that has bulb went out few months ago. Anyways after reading all the horror stories on this forum about "Blue Blob" problem, I decided just to buy a new replacement LG LED TV. The Sony is sitting in storage now. Nothing wrong with it except it need a new bulb.

I'm contemplating about buying new bulb and reviving the old beast to watch football in the garage. Is it true that many people experienced Blue Blob problem after replacing bulb? Should I even bother to spend the money on new bulb then having a worthless piece of crap to deal with later?

I believe that many have replaced bulbs perhaps multiple times without having the "blue blob" problem. If I've read these threads correctly, it seems that once you HAVE the blue blob problem, replacing the *optical block* seems to only temporarily solve the problem, if at all. Bulb replacement is usually straightforward and a non-event, though you have to be extremely careful not to touch the bulb at all.

I've got the same set you do - it's still in operation daily in our main living area - and I've yet to replace the bulb even once. I do have a spare sitting around awaiting the time when the bulb finally does fail.

No, I'd say go ahead and replace the bulb. They can be found on the Internet for a little more than $100, and you might still get years out of your set. (I'm not sure how durable it'll be in a garage, though.)

Harry
post #2716 of 2853
Thanks, I guess I should revive her then. I'm actually giving it to my brother-in-law. He wants to set it up in his garage to watch sports.

Can you please point me to a reputable website to purchase OEM bulb? I don't want to deal with Ebay or third party bulbs.
post #2717 of 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpdata View Post

Thanks, I guess I should revive her then. I'm actually giving it to my brother-in-law. He wants to set it up in his garage to watch sports.

Can you please point me to a reputable website to purchase OEM bulb? I don't want to deal with Ebay or third party bulbs.

OEM replacement bulbs are made by Philips - these are identical to the ones originally installed by SONY. Here's a link to an Amazon seller that includes the housing, meaning that you don't have to handle the bulb.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y0ST20

This is identical to what I've purchased as a replacement and I'm still waiting for the original bulb to die.

Harry
post #2718 of 2853
Wow, that's wild that you guys have 5+ years on a single bulb. Have you checked your Lamp Time? I have replaced mine 3 times when they got over 5000 hours. None of the bulbs blew completely but they really start to dim at that point (in my experience). A new bulb is soooo much brighter you'll be stunned.
post #2719 of 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpdata View Post

Hey guys, I have a '04 55xs955 that has bulb went out few months ago. Anyways after reading all the horror stories on this forum about "Blue Blob" problem, I decided just to buy a new replacement LG LED TV. The Sony is sitting in storage now. Nothing wrong with it except it need a new bulb.

I'm contemplating about buying new bulb and reviving the old beast to watch football in the garage. Is it true that many people experienced Blue Blob problem after replacing bulb? Should I even bother to spend the money on new bulb then having a worthless piece of crap to deal with later?

YES ... changing the bulb is related.

the optical block problem is accelerated by heat. bulbs degrade over time, so the old bulb produces less light and heat than the new bulb will. a new bulb degrades the optical block faster than the old bulb.

when you change the bulb, clean out as much dust you can. clean the fan if you can. make sure the TV is in a well ventilated area. that will extend the life of the optical block as much as possible.
post #2720 of 2853
Our TV has always been in a well-ventilated area. Just before ordering the extra bulb, I did a check of the lamp hours and on-off cycle count. This has to be about four months or so ago, but the totals then were:

5960 hours
3916 cycle counts

We're actually using the set even more now than before, having both retired from our jobs. Heck, the set even survived a 1000 mile move to Florida.

Harry
post #2721 of 2853
One of the reasons I decided to get a replacement bulb to have on hand is that I've noticed that the TV has dimmed - but just slightly and not to the point yet of having a poor picture.

When we first got the set, I always set the picture setting to PRO and had the power saving option activated. Brightness and contrast levels were set around the default value, never more than a point or two higher or lower.

Within the past months, in order to view programs at what I'd consider normal levels, I've had to take off the power-saving options, and turn up brightness and contrast levels to near maximum. But I'm still using the PRO setting.

Harry
post #2722 of 2853
Are their any good guides on how to best clean out the set? Do I just use a vacuum within the bulb-housing? Or are you referring to removing the back and stuff?

I'd rather not disturb too much if I don't have to.

Harry
post #2723 of 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post

Are their any good guides on how to best clean out the set? Do I just use a vacuum within the bulb-housing? Or are you referring to removing the back and stuff?

I'd rather not disturb too much if I don't have to.

Harry

based on anecdotal evidence it is not a question of if your optical block will go bad, just a question of when. the amount of effort you want to exert to delay the inevitable is up to you.

i have read lots of cases (including mine) where the OB goes bad 9-12 months after a lamp change. My TV was getting dimmer exactly like HGN2001 describes. I changed the bulb mid Sep 2009 right before football season (i didn't want the bulb to die in the middle of a game). the bulb had about 6500 hours on it at the time, but was still working. the OB died in Jul 2010.

there is a guide describing how to remove the OB and send it off for repair. i still use my 60xs955 during football season as a second set to display the redzone channel or game mix. i read through the guide, but never went through with the process because the picture is still watchable for my purposes. anyway, the process did not seem too difficult to get access to the OB, fan etc.

if it were me, and i wanted the TV to last as long as possible, i would spend the 30 minutes to take the back off the TV and clean out the dust around the OB and fan.
post #2724 of 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post
OEM replacement bulbs are made by Philips - these are identical to the ones originally installed by SONY. Here's a link to an Amazon seller that includes the housing, meaning that you don't have to handle the bulb.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y0ST20

This is identical to what I've purchased as a replacement and I'm still waiting for the original bulb to die.

Harry
I'm kinda hesitant buying from that seller. Amazon has only 3 reviews. One of them said bulb blew up after only couple months.

Anyone else have other recommendation for a reputable seller of OEM Phillips bulb?
post #2725 of 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpdata View Post

I'm kinda hesitant buying from that seller. Amazon has only 3 reviews. One of them said bulb blew up after only couple months.

Anyone else have other recommendation for a reputable seller of OEM Phillips bulb?

I've bought a lamp twice from "Gear4Less" on eBay with no problems. They are still on there, but the XL-2200 isn't on eBay at the moment. They do have it via their on-line store here.
post #2726 of 2853
Thanks for that link...looks like they sell the real deal bulb made by Phillips.

Does anyone buy from this merchant? They're authorized dealer with 180 days warranty on OEM Phillips bulb with housing.

http://www.discount-merchant.com/Pro...ING-H&CartID=1
post #2727 of 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpdata View Post
Thanks for that link...looks like they sell the real deal bulb made by Phillips.

Does anyone buy from this merchant? They're authorized dealer with 180 days warranty on OEM Phillips bulb with housing.

http://www.discount-merchant.com/Pro...ING-H&CartID=1
I've purchased a bulb from "niosales" on ebay. They currently have an XL2200 with housing, genuine Philips bulb for $119 w/ free shipping. I bought one a couple months ago from him and it works great.

Edit - link removed - guess i can't post tiny url links. Oh well, do a search for XL-2200 and you'll find it.
post #2728 of 2853
My beloved 55XS955 has these blue dots all over the screen. I'm assuming my OB has failed. Just curious if anyone did a recent replacement offer? What models and prices are currently offered?

TIA
post #2729 of 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injected Sin View Post

My beloved 55XS955 has these blue dots all over the screen. I'm assuming my OB has failed. Anyone have a website address or number to contact sony on this issue on a replacement offer?

TIA

sonylistens@am.sony.com

Attn: Sarah Kepler, Arica Cooper, or Scott Fuentes. Also, you may access them on Facebook...They were very good to me.
post #2730 of 2853
Care to share what the replacement offers were?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Sony KDF-55/60XS955 owners thread