or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › ATI HDTV Wonder: Step-by-Step WMCE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATI HDTV Wonder: Step-by-Step WMCE - Page 2

post #31 of 162
Thread Starter 
Bryan

I've done some research on your issue, but I haven't found any solutions. It's difficult to point the cause.

Are there any processes running that shouldn't be in Windows Task Manger?

Note which processes are running before WMCE exits, and compare with the processes that are running after WMCE exits.
post #32 of 162
Has anyone else experienced loss of the MCE 2005 GUI when flipping through HD channels? I have tried everything (clean system install, other drivers, different decoders, etc) to get rid of this major bug, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
post #33 of 162
md500 - sorry to hear about this problem ! All I can say is that I have NEVER seen this problem. I know this doesn't help you much, but just a data point.

Post your complete system specification (hardware details, as well as software details e.g. what DVD decoders you have in the system, which one is the default etc.) and may be we'll be able to offer some clue.
post #34 of 162
Thread Starter 
bump
post #35 of 162
Here my system specs:

2800 Athlon XP
1GB RAM
160GB HD
NVIDIA 6600GT AGP 128MB - latest NVIDIA beta drivers
Hauppauge 150PVR MCE Edition
ATI HDTV Wonder with latest Drivers
MCE 2005 - with HDTV rollup
.net framework 1.1

Currently only using onboard analog sound (C-Media) - had too much trouble with digital

DVD Decoders:
Latest NVIDIA decoder
Currently also WinDVD decoder installed (gives me same loss/ lock of MCE GUI problem), but HD picture quality is much worse than NVIDIA decoder
My default decoder is the WinDVD - but I will switch this back to the NVIDIA.
(I also tried PowerDVD and Sonic on a prev. system install - but they did not work at all...)

Thanks for any suggestions!

md
post #36 of 162
md - how many PCI slots are there in your motherboard and which ones are being used by PVR150 and ATI HDTV Wonder ?

BTW, you can use the Microsoft DECCHECK utility to verrify and set your default decoder in MCE.
post #37 of 162
The motherboard has 5 PCI slots. I use the No. 2 for the HDTV wonder and No. 3 for the 150 PVR. I don't have any other PCI cards in the computer. In another configuration I was using no 3 for the 150 PVR and no 4 for the HDTV wonder...
post #38 of 162
Thanks, I used that utility and NVIDIA is now again my default decoder.
post #39 of 162
my motherboard also has 5 PCI slots. counting the PCI slot immediately next to the AGP slot at no 1, I use no 2 for ATI HDTV Wonder, no 3 and 5 for two PVR 250 cards and no 5 for an ATA card.

I too have a 6600GT AGP card and am using the drivers from here --

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_do..._2k_67.03.html

See if these help.
post #40 of 162
I installed the forceware drivers - with the same results. The GUI still freezes up and the video keeps playing...
post #41 of 162
Thread Starter 
All these motherboards are different when it comes to figuring out which PCI slot is better than another for a card like the HDTV Wonder.

The issue is trying to avoid having two or more high performance PCI cards sharing the same IRQ. Any card that passes video data trough the PCI bus has to be classified as a high performance card.

If you have video running through the PCI bus from a 1394/ILink port from a miniDV camcorder, then the 1394 card or chipset should also be considered a high performance card. Additionally, if your NIC card continously sends video data or files through your home network, it might be considered a high performance card while it is in action.

So, MadDog500, at the very least we much classify your Nvidia 6600GT, the HDTV Wonder, and the WinTV 150PVR as high performance cards. If any two or three of these cards are sharing the same IRQ, certainly the probability of conflict rises.

The closest I can come to a general rule is that the first PCI slot will be sharing an IRQ with the AGP graphics card, so you don't want to put the HDTV Wonder there. Second, contrary to what many believe, the last PCI slot often shares an IRQ with the AGP card and PCI slot one, so it is often a poor choice. PCI slot three is often loaded with other devices like the USB controllers, so it may be a poor choice also.

I'd try PCI slot four, with PCI slot two as a second choice. However, if there is a card already in four, move it to PCI slot two.

I think that all of the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Cards, Live as well as the Audigy cards, are finicky cards as well. Back in 1998, I wrestled with a Hauppauge WinTV Go card and a Sound Blaster Live card for a month trying to figure out where to put them. Of course, Hauppauge didn't have tuner drivers as good as they are now, and Windows 98 was a BSOD creator.

It might be useless to check the motherboard manual because they are difficult to figure out at times, but that is where one should start.
post #42 of 162
Quote:


Originally posted by md500
Has anyone else experienced loss of the MCE 2005 GUI when flipping through HD channels? I have tried everything (clean system install, other drivers, different decoders, etc) to get rid of this major bug, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I'd experienced this on a single HD channel (WB). When I took that channel out of the line-up, the problem went away. The only other HD channels I get are PBS and FOX. I suspect my problem is caused by not having upgraded my graphics card to an HD-capable card (DX9 accelerated), and as a result I can display 720p but not 1080i.

IRQ conflicts sounds like another possibility. Device manager doesn't show any conflicts, but I did find that my sound card and my graphics card share the same IRQ. I've also noticed occasional audio dropouts when displaying digital TV (even SD). Is this likely the cause? Is moving the cards to different slots the only solution? I only have 4 slots in my computer (1 AGP and 3 PCI). Slots are occupied as follows (top to bottom, not sure which one is slot 1 though I know the AGP must be the top slot):

graphics (GeForce MX420)
audio/firewire (Audigy)
analog capture (Emuzed)
digital capture (ATI HDTV Wonder)

Thanks,

John
post #43 of 162
Geek, thanks for the info.

So far I tried the ATI Wonder in slot 4 and slot 2 (where it currently resides). The PVR150 is in slot 3 and does not give me any problems. The 6600GT is AGP. I have no other cards installed. I checked device manager (sorted by resource) and it turns out the ATI does not share its IRQ with any other resource.

It looks like at this point I will have to try another motherboard altogether. Any recommendations?

Brian: The problem seems to be worse on certain channels. My CBS station ( which has 5 bars reception) locks up the GUI almost every time as I tune to it...
post #44 of 162
MD500,

I just finished rebuilding a HTPC with a new Motherboard because the system was crashing constantly. So I got a new mb hoping that it would help solve the problem. So far no crashes but I am loosing the MCE GUI when watching a digital channel or recorded digital show and pressing guide or start. The video is minimized to the small thumbnail window. I can go back to full screen video without a problem.

I am also having a problem watching live digital TV. It just won't display or takes along time to display video, 10-15 seconds. I have not had a chance to troubleshoot that much because I had to go out of town today and won't be back until Monday. One thing I did test is recording digital channels and watching while recording. This worked without a problem. I started recording a show and went to recorded TV immediately and started watching the show without a problem. Analog TV displays without a problem.

I will check the IRQ when I get home. The only PCI cards are the tuner cards. I am using onboard sound card. I think but will have to confirm that the analog tuner is in slot 3 and the HDTV tuner is in slot 5. My motherboard does a good job documenting the IRQs.

My system is a
ASUS P4P800-E delux
Intel 3.0 with hyperthreading
1 gig PQI DDR400 pc3200 memory. (actually 512mb waiting for a replacement dimm because one went bad)
Chaintech 6600GT AGP video card - 66.93 driver I believe
Onboard sound ALC850
Avermedia MCE1500 analog tuner
ATI HDTV Wonder digital tuner
Disks
OS installed on WD 80 gig 7200 rpm
RAID array promise 2 250 gig maxtor drives. RAID 0.
NVIDIA dvd decoder

I have upgraded the cooling on the CPU and video card.
CPU cooler has an arctic freezer 4
Video has a Zalman VF700

I also upgraded the powersupply to an Antec 480 True Power supply.

I think that about covers the system config.

I got on the forum to search for a loss of the MCE gui when watching video and found this thread. I will post my troubleshooting when I get home Monday/Tuesday.

One question is if this is happening with your analog channels.
Also noticed that once this happens, you loose the pause time indicator on full screen video.

Bryan
post #45 of 162
Quote:


Originally posted by md500
Here my system specs:

2800 Athlon XP
1GB RAM
160GB HD
NVIDIA 6600GT AGP 128MB - latest NVIDIA beta drivers
Hauppauge 150PVR MCE Edition
ATI HDTV Wonder with latest Drivers
MCE 2005 - with HDTV rollup
.net framework 1.1

Currently only using onboard analog sound (C-Media) - had too much trouble with digital

DVD Decoders:
Latest NVIDIA decoder
Currently also WinDVD decoder installed (gives me same loss/ lock of MCE GUI problem), but HD picture quality is much worse than NVIDIA decoder
My default decoder is the WinDVD - but I will switch this back to the NVIDIA.
(I also tried PowerDVD and Sonic on a prev. system install - but they did not work at all...)

Thanks for any suggestions!

md

What motherboard are you using?
post #46 of 162
Bryan,

I am using (until today) an ASRock K7VT6 Motherboard. This is based on the Via KT 600 chipset. I will go out today and upgrade my motherboard to a nforce2 based chipset and rebuild my system.

The problem you describe is EXACTLY what I have been struggling with the past week or so. I am not happy that you are having to deal with this issue, but at least I am not the only case where this occurs. Let's try to solve it once and for all.

Here is what happens: This only happens on the digital channels. I loose all Windows GUI - but Video keeps playing. When I hit the start button - I see "Start" with some messy locked and trailing video feed behind it. The preview window keeps playing fine - and when hitting the live TV button on the remote it goes back to full screen w/o a probem. In full screen mode, I cannot see the progress bar either. I appears the MCE GUI cannot be rendered for some reason.

At this point, I must assume it is a problem with the motherboard. I did a lot of testing over the last week and noticed that the problem mostly occurs on digital channels that do NOT do multicasting (i.e. have the highest datastream through only 1 channel). My CBS station for example does broadcast subchannels - it almost immediately locks up the MCE GUI. While my local PAX station has 3 (!) subchannels and has hardly ever locked up the GUI.
It appears that in that case of a full data stream the ATI starts hogging resources and puts the MCE GUI renderer in lockdown.
However, as noted before, none of my system components shares IRQs. I also tried all possible PCI slot arrangements with no success.

Questions for you:

Did this same problem occur before you replaced your motherboard - or were they just pure system crashes you were experiencing?

Did DTV work OK before you replaced your motherboard? Or did it seem to cause the system crashes?

Thanks,

md
post #47 of 162
The problem is the exact same thing, although I don't know if there is more or less of occurrence if the channels multicast subchannels or not. I will see if there is a better chance of it happening or not based on multicasting.

My old mb was an ECS PT800CE-A. I did not have the loss of gui with the old motherboard, just crashing after ten minutes of watching TV. The current mb is not crashing, just doing the loss of gui.

What about watching live TV? Are you having a problem with that? I described that I get a long delay when tuning to a channel. Watching a recorded show there is no problem.

Also no problems with analog channels, until I tune to a digital channel. Then when tuning back to analog, the gui is still gone if I experienced the loss of gui problem.
post #48 of 162
MD,
Lets dedicate a thread to the resolution of this problem here. I just found this thread tonight.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...postid=5318460

Chris is also having the same problem on an Nforce MB so you may want to hold off before you make that purchase and find out some more details. It would not be good to get a new MB and have the same problem.

Bryan
post #49 of 162
All -

In order to find out which devices in your machine are sharing IRQ, if any, and if so which ones, use the Windows Device Manager.

1. Open Device Manager
2. Use menu View -> Resources by Type
3. Expand the IRQ node

If you see one or more high performance devices sharing the same IRQ, try moving them around in different PCI slots until you get them to use different IRQs.

md500 -- I have had very good luck with nForce2 9and now nForce3) chipset based motherboards, and I am sticking with them. Good luck with your new motherboard search. ASUS is always my first choice when it comes to motherboards, followed by ABIT and MSI.
post #50 of 162
ok, I am wanting to set up a HTPC with a pvr. I have a 450 dollar gift card with Dell, so I am stuck getting a dell. I was going to get one of their systems which the video card can be upgraded to carry a 128 meg video card and I was going to add the HDTV wonder. Will I be able to get the PC to record 720P for later playback? thanks in advance.
post #51 of 162
Well I am just about ready to install MCE 2005 on a spare HDD in my system to test things out before wiping my WinXP/HDTV Wonder install on my main drive. I was hoping someone can clarify some of the steps for me since the ATI 9800 Pro AIW card has the tuner built in. So here are my thoughts on the steps posted so far for my situation:


1. Install Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 *WITH ATI 9800 AIW* Don't go into MCE to setup TV yet, of course.

*What video drivers/software do I need to install after the setup is complete? ATI's Radeon drivers site for MCE2005 notes "ALL-IN-WONDER Series are not currently supported under Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005." when refering to the MCE2005 Catalyst download? There are two options "Display Driver, Control Panel" and "Display Driver, CATALYST Control Center". I am assuming I just install "Display Driver, COntrol Panel"? Will I be missing any video output resolutions/options not using ATI's CATALYST software"

2. Install the HDTV Rollup update from Microsoft, if not previously installed

3. Install the analog TV tuner drivers. Shutdown.

*WHERE ARE THE ANALOG TUNER DRIVERS FOR THE AIW? All i see on ATI's MCE2005 driver download site for tuners aside from the HDTV wond*

4. Physically install the analog TV tuner in the PCI slot. Restart. Check Device Manager *Step skipped*

5. Install the HDTV Wonder driver from ATI. Shutdown.

6. Physically install the ATI card in a PCI slot

5. ReStart. The card gets detected and set up automatically. Check Device Manager.

6. Launch MCE and setup TV channels that you want; you need an internet connection.

*Where and when do I install the ATI DVD Decoder? I have not yet purchased the Nvidia DVD decoder.

I know other people are using the 9800Pro AIW in ther MCE2k5 install so I was wondering how you guys installed this setup with the HDTV Wonder. You guys are using the AIW tuner card as your analog tuner correct?

Thanks in advance.

ATI download pages for reference
CATALYST 5.3 Windows XP Media Center Edition - Driver Download

ATI Radeo Download Page for MCE2005
post #52 of 162
Quote:


Originally posted by psxjunky
All -

In order to find out which devices in your machine are sharing IRQ, if any, and if so which ones, use the Windows Device Manager.

1. Open Device Manager
2. Use menu View -> Resources by Type
3. Expand the IRQ node

If you see one or more high performance devices sharing the same IRQ, try moving them around in different PCI slots until you get them to use different IRQs.

Thanks. Does a PCI slot always correspond to the same IRQ (if I move a different card into the slot, will it always get the IRQ that the previous card had)?

How can I tell which USB controller is being used by which USB device (and does switching USB plugs change that)?

I ask because all of my PCI slots are occupied by "high performance devices" (when considering MCE/AV capture and playback as the applications) so I don't really know what I can do to get them to not share an IRQ. My cards are: audio, video (AGP slot), analog tuner, digital tuner. I have no spare slots, so all I can do is move them around. I assume the video card needs to stay in the AGP slot, so can only move around the tuners and audio. Right now, my audio uses the same IRQ as video, but if I were able to make them use different IRQs, but have the tuners either share IRQ with each other (bad for recording two shows at once) or one of the tuners share with the audio instead (bad for recording and watching at the same time), that seems like I'm just trading off one problem for another. I'd like to find out how to avoid any IRQ conflicts for any device involved in AV recording or playback (I didn't mention I have a USB disk, so I wouldn't want to create a conflict with that either, which currently may also share the IRQ with audio and video -- I have 4 USB controllers showing in device manager, but can't tell which is being used by the disk, and one of them conflicts).

Thanks,

John
post #53 of 162
Thread Starter 
Quote:


Originally posted by JohnDiamant
Thanks. Does a PCI slot always correspond to the same IRQ (if I move a different card into the slot, will it always get the IRQ that the previous card had)?

How can I tell which USB controller is being used by which USB device (and does switching USB plugs change that)?

I ask because all of my PCI slots are occupied by "high performance devices" (when considering MCE/AV capture and playback as the applications) so I don't really know what I can do to get them to not share an IRQ. My cards are: audio, video (AGP slot), analog tuner, digital tuner. I have no spare slots, so all I can do is move them around. I assume the video card needs to stay in the AGP slot, so can only move around the tuners and audio. Right now, my audio uses the same IRQ as video, but if I were able to make them use different IRQs, but have the tuners either share IRQ with each other (bad for recording two shows at once) or one of the tuners share with the audio instead (bad for recording and watching at the same time), that seems like I'm just trading off one problem for another. I'd like to find out how to avoid any IRQ conflicts for any device involved in AV recording or playback (I didn't mention I have a USB disk, so I wouldn't want to create a conflict with that either, which currently may also share the IRQ with audio and video -- I have 4 USB controllers showing in device manager, but can't tell which is being used by the disk, and one of them conflicts).

Thanks,

John


Generally, the BIOS or the operating system (Windows) will assign IRQ to PCI slots. However, some motherboards will always assign a particular IRQ to a particular PCI slot. But, you can change them in the BIOS settings.

But, as you are doing, it may be easier simply to move the cards from one slot to another.

You may have to sacrifice that audio card if you can tolerate the builtin audio, as a last resort.

Let's consider these factors. Of the four cards you use, the HDTV Wonder should be considered the heavy lifter because it processes high definition video. If you can isolate an IRQ for the HDTV Wonder, then do so.

Next, the analog tuner is probably a hardware encoder; that it, video processing is done on the card itself instead in software, which means the CPU does the processing. So, the analog card might share an IRQ fairly well, particularly if it has good software drivers. Excellent drivers might cure all such issues.

If the audio card does hardware processing, then the same applies. Despite its apparent reputation for good audio cards, Creative Labs Sound Blaster audio cards have been known to be finicky. It used to be that you had to isolate the SB with its own IRQ, otherwise the sound would sputter and pop. I have no experience with the current SB models.

With respect to the USB devices, in the Device Manager at the bottom, there will be listed within the Universal Serial Bus Controollers' section several USB Root Hubs. Selecting and double-clicking each Hub will bring up the properties of the Hub.

Under the "Power" tab, you will see which USB device is associated with that particular USB Hub. If you check the properties of all the USB HUBs listed, you can figure out which HUB Hub is associated with which physical USB port.
post #54 of 162
Quote:


Originally posted by GeekFunk
You may have to sacrifice that audio card if you can tolerate the builtin audio, as a last resort.

Let's consider these factors. Of the four cards you use, the HDTV Wonder should be considered the heavy lifter because it processes high definition video. If you can isolate an IRQ for the HDTV Wonder, then do so.

Next, the analog tuner is probably a hardware encoder; that it, video processing is done on the card itself instead in software, which means the CPU does the processing. So, the analog card might share an IRQ fairly well, particularly if it has good software drivers. Excellent drivers might cure all such issues.

If the audio card does hardware processing, then the same applies. Despite its apparent reputation for good audio cards, Creative Labs Sound Blaster audio cards have been known to be finicky. It used to be that you had to isolate the SB with its own IRQ, otherwise the sound would sputter and pop. I have no experience with the current SB models.

With respect to the USB devices, in the Device Manager at the bottom, there will be listed within the Universal Serial Bus Controller' section several USB Root Hubs. Selecting and double-clicking each Hub will bring up the properties of the Hub.

Under the "Power" tab, you will see which USB device is associated with that particular USB Hub. If you check the properties of all the USB HUBs listed, you can figure out which HUB Hub is associated with which physical USB port.

Thanks.

Not using the audio card would be a problem for me since I'm feeding a digital receiver with a single coax digital cable using limited in-wall wiring -- and I don't want to lose the ability to transmit DolbyDigital, and built in audio (whatever that might be) isn't likely to be able to generate digital audio out.

I'm using the Kram drivers, and using the HDTV Wonder as a 2nd analog as well as a digital tuner, but that means MPEG2 encoding in software for the HDTV Wonder, so yet another good reason to keep it from sharing an IRQ.

So, it sounds like having the HDTV Wonder and audio card on their own IRQs, and having the USB disk and analog capture card share an IRQ is preferable. What about the video card? While I can't move it, and it's currently sharing an IRQ with a USB Universal Host Controller (not USB Hub). I may be able to change (likely) or prevent (unlikely) what's sharing with it.

As to the USB mapping, thanks. However, as I point out above, the IRQ conflict shows with a USB Universal Host Controller, not a USB Hub device, so I'm not sure how to map these back together.

Thanks again,
John
post #55 of 162
Thread Starter 
Quote:


Originally posted by JohnDiamant
Thanks.

Not using the audio card would be a problem for me since I'm feeding a digital receiver with a single coax digital cable using limited in-wall wiring -- and I don't want to lose the ability to transmit DolbyDigital, and built in audio (whatever that might be) isn't likely to be able to generate digital audio out.

I'm using the Kram drivers, and using the HDTV Wonder as a 2nd analog as well as a digital tuner, but that means MPEG2 encoding in software for the HDTV Wonder, so yet another good reason to keep it from sharing an IRQ.

So, it sounds like having the HDTV Wonder and audio card on their own IRQs, and having the USB disk and analog capture card share an IRQ is preferable. What about the video card? While I can't move it, and it's currently sharing an IRQ with a USB Universal Host Controller (not USB Hub). I may be able to change (likely) or prevent (unlikely) what's sharing with it.

As to the USB mapping, thanks. However, as I point out above, the IRQ conflict shows with a USB Universal Host Controller, not a USB Hub device, so I'm not sure how to map these back together.

Thanks again,
John


OK. The coax connection can't be beat. My motherboard has builtin spdif and coax connections. Anyway, its a good reason to keep the Audio card.

I know of the Kram drivers, but have no experience with them. If the Kram's are poorly written, then it may contribute to the problems.

Well, we're getting way too technical, but there is a direct relationship between the USB Host Controller and the USB Root Hub: for every host controller there is a root hub. So, if the root hub shows that an USB device is connected, then it is also connected to the corresponding host controller. Which host controller "controls" the root hub, you will have to do some exploring.

Double clicking the host controller will give a little information about how much bandwidth is being used in the host controller, but not necessarily which USB device is using the bandwidth.

You say that you have a USB disk: is that a hard drive disk? Is is always active, that is, you are writing to and reading from it constantly? Is it a powered external USB drive or does it draw power from the USB port?

If the USB device is constantly on, using up all the USB bandwidth, and drawing power from the USB port, then it might require an IRQ of its own. If its sorta passive, then it should not of concern.
post #56 of 162
Those have problems with the analog tv tuner (like me) try this:

Coppy

vidcap.ax
kswdmcap.ax
ksxbar.ax
kstvtune.ax

from win/sys32/drivers folder to the ati/multi/main folder.

Hope this helps!
post #57 of 162
Thread Starter 
I don't believe that there is a QAM capable HDTV tuner card presently in production.

Hauppuage is said to release such a card later this year.
post #58 of 162
Quote:


The Kram modification of the Catalyst drivers will get the HDTV Wonder going in MCE without the presence of an analog TV tuner.

From another forum:

http://www.whatsnsb.com/MCE4.10kv.zip

This is download of the Kram drivers. I haven't used them myself as I have analog tuner.

GeekFunk, I am not using an ATI video card (I'm using a MSI 6600GT PCIe), so I am not running Catalyst drivers (unless the HDTV Wonder that I am about to buy needs to use them). Also, I do not have a free PCI slot to install an analog tuner, unless there is a PCIe supported card available. Will this Kram fix do anything for me to get the HDTV Wonder working as the only tuner card in my system?
post #59 of 162
Thread Starter 
You seem to be making this unnecessarily complex. I suggest that you understand the technique instead of focusing on the particular parts.

Installing the software drivers before physically installing the tuner cards in the PCI slots seem to increase the success rate. The support pages at Dvico.com for their FusionHDTV card follow the same plan.

It shouldn't matter that you are using a Nvidia graphics card. Just install the card in WMCE and make sure that it's working before installing the tv tuner cards. The Catalyst drivers for ATI graphics cards are not necessary to get the ATI HDTV Wonder tv tuner card to work.

Once you get a stable installation of WMCE without the tv tuner cards, you might consider making an image of the installation with Norton Ghost so that you won't have to start all over again if the tv tuners don't install the way you want them the first time.

You absolutely, positively have to have an analog tuner installed if you want to get the HDTV Wonder to work WMCE, unless you use the Kram drivers. Of course, if you use the Kram drivers, you are on your own as to getting them to work. In a plain Windows XP environment, the ATI HDTV Wonder will work in the absence of an analogue tv tuner.

I have absolutely no experience in using the Kram drivers. You will use them at your own risk, and must accept that you may run into some problems and no one at MS or ATI will help you out. So, if you have a lot of experience in trouble shooting computer problems, then have at it. Otherwise, go the safe route.

Instead of an analog TV tuner on a PCI card, some have used USB analog tv tuners with success when installing the HDTV Wonder in WMCE. The Hauppauge WinTv USB tuner is one such product. After you've installed both tuners, and setup the analog and digital channels in WMCE, the USB tv tuner can be removed, so I've heard. The key is the fact that WMCE must see an analog tuner before it will setup the digital channels.
post #60 of 162
Gotcha, GeekFunk....My problem is that there is no way for me to install more than a single tuner card in my system *IF* it requires a regular old PCI slot . I have 3 PCI slots on my mobo, one taken up by my VGA cooler, one for my Revo 7.1, and one proposed for the ATI HDTV Wonder card. ALL I have left are a pair of PCIe x1 slots, so my plan was to install the HDTV Wonder with no analog tuner at all. I don't need or want an analog tuner anyway, as most of my viewing is OTA HD with an occasional digital SD show.

Quote:


You absolutely, positively have to have an analog tuner installed if you want to get the HDTV Wonder to work WMCE, unless you use the Kram drivers.

Well, since it looks like I won't have an analog tuner, and I don't have an ATI video card with which to use the Kram/Catalyst drivers, then I guess I am SOL. Who was the super genius who designed MCE such that it REQUIRES you to have an analog tuner installed? And are there any plans that you know of for repairing this glaring error in judgement?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › ATI HDTV Wonder: Step-by-Step WMCE