or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › 8300HD and External SATA - It Works!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

8300HD and External SATA - It Works!! - Page 198

post #5911 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

I'm pretty sure that TW in Syracuse has SARA. So getting a SA8300HDC does not switch you to Navigator, like Passport systems do. So you want to check the SARA database instead of the Navigator one.

wow. You're kidding. All this time I thought I had Navigator. To tell the truth, I have no idea how to tell the difference. Anyone care to enlighten me?
post #5912 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 View Post

wow. You're kidding. All this time I thought I had Navigator. To tell the truth, I have no idea how to tell the difference. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Check the first page: Shows Passport vs SARA.
post #5913 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatG25 View Post

The Swap button on my 8300HD remote doesn't do anything. It is on the bottom of the remote with other PiP buttons. Is there another Swap buttons? I haven't figured out a way to swap between tuners.

It works A-OK on my setup with Passport and an 8300HD. It is actually one of the only features that has NEVER broken through the years of various Passport updates.

If you don't have Passport, I can't help you. If you do have Passport, maybe you need to "swap" for a new remote from your local cable service office. At least here, they don't charge for swapping out a broken remote.....
post #5914 of 8998
A TWC Tech Manager called and left me a message, after I called and asked for advice on which SATA ext drive to buy for my 8300HDC box. (I called because that's what the manual said to do) Well, it was no suprise to me when the tech said he isn't allowed to give me advice on an ext drive because TWC does not support that feature. He said we are welcome to use the SATA connection, but he warned me that when they go to upgrade my SARA software to Navigator, all of my recorded shows would probably be erased.

A couple things suprised me. First, I had no idea we were going to get upgraded to Navigator (Syracuse). Second, does this mean that even my recorded shows that are stored on the 8300HDC will get erased as well?! If this is true, I would hope TWC would give it's customers a heads up before they change the software on our DVRs.

If I do decide to buy a SATA external HD to hook up to my DVR, and by some chance the Navigator software completely breaks the connection, can I use my SATA drive with my PC? I'm pretty sure I have spare SATA connections "inside" my PC, but I don't know if there is a good way to hook up an external drive.
post #5915 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

It works A-OK on my setup with Passport and an 8300HD. It is actually one of the only features that has NEVER broken through the years of various Passport updates.

If you don't have Passport, I can't help you. If you do have Passport, maybe you need to "swap" for a new remote from your local cable service office. At least here, they don't charge for swapping out a broken remote.....

I have Sara 1.88.25. Does everyone with Sara know if the Swap button works. I am trying to set both tuners to a music station so the hard drive defrags. Does anyone know if the external HD gets defraged at the same time?
post #5916 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 View Post

A TWC Tech Manager called and left me a message, after I called and asked for advice on which SATA ext drive to buy for my 8300HDC box. (I called because that's what the manual said to do) Well, it was no suprise to me when the tech said he isn't allowed to give me advice on an ext drive because TWC does not support that feature. He said we are welcome to use the SATA connection, but he warned me that when they go to upgrade my SARA software to Navigator, all of my recorded shows would probably be erased.

A couple things suprised me. First, I had no idea we were going to get upgraded to Navigator (Syracuse). Second, does this mean that even my recorded shows that are stored on the 8300HDC will get erased as well?! If this is true, I would hope TWC would give it's customers a heads up before they change the software on our DVRs.

If I do decide to buy a SATA external HD to hook up to my DVR, and by some chance the Navigator software completely breaks the connection, can I use my SATA drive with my PC? I'm pretty sure I have spare SATA connections "inside" my PC, but I don't know if there is a good way to hook up an external drive.

All TWC sysytems will eventually get Navigator, it is going to be their in-house DVR software.

And, when you do get it, you probably will lose all your recordings (doesn't matter which 8300 you have), that seems to be the case so far. And, there has not been any prior notice, so all you can do is keep watching what is importatn as soon as possible.

However, losing your recordings just means that you have to start recording all over. It does not necessarily mean that you will not be able to continue using your SATA drive, so don't fire up the PC just yet.
post #5917 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatG25 View Post

I have Sara 1.88.25. Does everyone with Sara know if the Swap button works. I am trying to set both tuners to a music station so the hard drive defrags. Does anyone know if the external HD gets defraged at the same time?

The Swap button works on SARA, but only when you have PIP turned on.

Why are you trying to defrag? There is absolutely no reason to do so unless you are trying different things to troubleshoot a problem. In fact, I may just take that out of the first post as there's been no definitive proof that there is even a defrag happening and too many people are trying to use the 8300 as if it were a PC.
post #5918 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony57 View Post

Did you only use the eSata cables supplied with the enclosures? I have not had a glitch since I started using a $20 eStata cable with an Apricorn.


No, I bought a $20 cable. I think you posted the link to it. Didn't change a thing unfortunately. I've tried 3 different cables actually.

Thanks for the help though!
post #5919 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilan View Post

No, I bought a $20 cable. I think you posted the link to it. Didn't change a thing unfortunately. I've tried 3 different cables actually.

Check the cable connections inside the enclosure.
post #5920 of 8998
I noticed a couple of days ago that the first post doesn't include a link to the Navigator database. So, rather than edit it and contact DMILANI to repost it, I asked CPanther95 if it was possible to reassign the first post to someone else here. Unfortunately, the answer was No.

In light of that, I thought about starting a new thread, but that would kind of lose a lot of info. I know, it would still be accessible, but that's just not the same no matter how you slice it.

So, I'd like to explore the idea of changing the first post to simply a single link. The link would be to a new "First" Post that we (someone who expects to remain active in this thread for the foreseeable future) would be able to maintain easier and more current than what's there now.

I know some would like to see the thread split into 3 parts, but I still believe there would be too much overlap. I think a new post could divide the unique info enough to satisfy that desire while keeping everything accessible to all without having to keep up with 3 threads.

Comments?
post #5921 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

The Swap button works on SARA, but only when you have PIP turned on.

Why are you trying to defrag? There is absolutely no reason to do so unless you are trying different things to troubleshoot a problem. In fact, I may just take that out of the first post as there's been no definitive proof that there is even a defrag happening and too many people are trying to use the 8300 as if it were a PC.

Thanks for the info. I never use PiP, so it is probably not turned on. The only reason I am trying to defrag is because of the first post. I didn't think it was necessary since large files are stored on the HD. It is not like a PC with a huge amount of small files. But I figured in can't hurt, either.
post #5922 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Check the cable connections inside the enclosure.

I've tried 2 different enclosures. Assuming that's the problem, what should I be looking for?
post #5923 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilan View Post

I've tried 2 different enclosures. Assuming that's the problem, what should I be looking for?

Slightly loose and/or misaligned connectors. Look closely. Better yet, re-seat them all. SATA connections, especially the "internal" kind are exceptionally dodgy. Not saying that's your problem with two enclosures, but it's work a try.

Good luck!
post #5924 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatG25 View Post

Thanks for the info. I never use PiP, so it is probably not turned on. The only reason I am trying to defrag is because of the first post. I didn't think it was necessary since large files are stored on the HD. It is not like a PC with a huge amount of small files. But I figured in can't hurt, either.

I believe with Passport, the Swap button switches tuners whithout having to turn PIP on. I would apprecaite it if you turned PIP on and tried the Swap button to make sure I'm giving you accurate info.
post #5925 of 8998
Is there going to be an upcoming fix so that one can instant replay live TV when using an eSATA drive?

Dan
TWC SE Wisc, Passport
post #5926 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno321s View Post

Is there going to be an upcoming fix so that one can instant replay live TV when using an eSATA drive?

I think the current wisdom is that Passport is too close to being replaced by Navigator throughout TWC, so there will be no more Passport updates released to TWC customers.
post #5927 of 8998
Here's a pisser for y'all. Bare Feats (http://www.barefeats.com/) just did a comparison among... terabyte drives! By a significant margin, Seagate took the crown!
post #5928 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Here's a pisser for y'all. Bare Feats (http://www.barefeats.com/) just did a comparison among... terabyte drives! By a significant margin, Seagate took the crown!

I don't think anyone has tried a 7200.11 yet... Maybe it will work? 7200.3 drives came out after 7200.10, and they seem to work with the box pretty well.

xnappo
post #5929 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Here's a pisser for y'all. Bare Feats (http://www.barefeats.com/) just did a comparison among... terabyte drives! By a significant margin, Seagate took the crown!

A Raptor killer?? Oh no, say it isn't so.
post #5930 of 8998
Here is a very in-depth comparison of the Hitachi and Seagate's Barracuda ES.2 and WD's Caviar GreenPower. The ES.2 is the enterprise-grade version of Seagate's consumer-oriented Barracuda 7200.11. The comparison is worth a read, but they conclude "When it comes to sheer single-user performance, the newest offerings from Seagate and Western Digital cannot touch Hitachi's mighty Deskstar 7K1000. Those seeking the ultimate in capacity and speed remain with the 7K1000 as their only choice." That is completely at odds to what Bare Feats concluded. One of them is wrong.
post #5931 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

I think the current wisdom is that Passport is too close to being replaced by Navigator throughout TWC, so there will be no more Passport updates released to TWC customers.

Does Navigator handle instant replay properly with an eSATA drive? With Passport, if I hit Skip Back, it goes to where I started watching and then I can't fast forward at all.
post #5932 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 View Post


If I do decide to buy a SATA external HD to hook up to my DVR, and by some chance the Navigator software completely breaks the connection, can I use my SATA drive with my PC? I'm pretty sure I have spare SATA connections "inside" my PC, but I don't know if there is a good way to hook up an external drive.

After disappointing results with an ESATA drive and my 8300HDC I ended up adding the 500GB external drive to my PC. I used an adapter plate to make the connection from the internal SATA on the PC motherboard to the ESATA. Google "dual sata esata plate" to get a link for the adapter plate I used.

Once the drive was connected and powered up I went into the PC BIOS and enabled the SATA port for the new drive. The PC recognized the drive and told me the hard drive manufacturer (Western Digital) and model number. I then used the model number to go to the Western Digital website and download the driver software for it. After installing the driver software, the PC was able to access the drive with no problems. All in all, a pretty simple upgrade for the PC and it took some of the sting away from the disappointing results with the 8300HDC.
post #5933 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

I believe with Passport, the Swap button switches tuners whithout having to turn PIP on. I would apprecaite it if you turned PIP on and tried the Swap button to make sure I'm giving you accurate info.


Swap button does not work with PiP off. Works fine with PiP on, but then you have the little window up; which is a pain in the a** if all you want to do is switch quickly between two channels
post #5934 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatG25 View Post

Swap button does not work with PiP off. Works fine with PiP on, but then you have the little window up; which is a pain in the a** if all you want to do is switch quickly between two channels

Sorry, but I have to ask, have you read any of the remote User's Guide to see what the dfferent buttons do? If all you are trying to do is switch between the same 2 channels a lot, like between 2 ballgames or something, simply hit the LAST button and it will take you back and forth. PiP is there to keep track of 2 channels at the same time and the Swap button is there to change the Active windowl, mostly for the audio.
post #5935 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 View Post

If I do decide to buy a SATA external HD to hook up to my DVR, and by some chance the Navigator software completely breaks the connection, can I use my SATA drive with my PC? I'm pretty sure I have spare SATA connections "inside" my PC, but I don't know if there is a good way to hook up an external drive.

No problem. If you have a free drive bay in the PC, just remove the SATA drive from its external enclosure and install it there. That's what I did when I replaced the 320 GB drive that I'd used with my 8300HD with a larger drive and moved the old drive to a PC. Or you can leave the SATA in its case and hook it up using an adapter like the one that's included with the Apricorn enclosure. It features a bracket with a SATA connector that sits at the back of a PC expansion slot, to which an external drive can be connected, and a cable that plugs into the PC's SATA controller.
post #5936 of 8998
Optimum Online Metuchen NJ, have a Seagate 750GB HD in a Antec Veris MX-1 case, for several months now working without issue.
(SARA, 8300HD)

Last few days, having early termination of random recordings, and sssstttuuuuddderrriiinggg from time to time.

To do what to fix, different HD, case??

Need stability, consistency and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
post #5937 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by guruuno View Post

Optimum Online Metuchen NJ, have a Seagate 750GB HD in a Antec Veris MX-1 case, for several months now working without issue.
(SARA, 8300HD)

Seagate 7200.10? Known issue - look in the database for a more suitable drive.

xnappo
post #5938 of 8998
Thankz xnappo, could you just tell me, without my brain siezing up digesting the database, as to a simple cut and dry, use this, this is the best, least problems, works recommendation?

Appreciate it, truly.
post #5939 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by guruuno View Post

Thankz xnappo, could you just tell me, without my brain siezing up digesting the database, as to a simple cut and dry, use this, this is the best, least problems, works recommendation?

Appreciate it, truly.

The whole purpose of xnappo going to the trouble of setting up and maintaining the database, and then us cajoling everyone to use it is for the members to look at and draw their own conclusions. It is NOT for xnappo to analyze and then tell everyone what to do. Besides, there are a number of successful drives and enclosures. You've been shown how to fish, now go fish.
post #5940 of 8998
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

The whole purpose of xnappo going to the trouble of setting up and maintaining the database, and then us cajoling everyone to use it is for the members to look at and draw their own conclusions. It is NOT for xnappo to analyze and then tell everyone what to do. Besides, there are a number of successful drives and enclosures. You've been shown how to fish, now go fish.

Nicely said.

I constantly find it amazing how folks have expectations that internet forums will provide them with instant, accurate, and pre-digested answers for FREE.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › 8300HD and External SATA - It Works!!