or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Grey's Anatomy on ABC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grey's Anatomy on ABC - Page 22

post #631 of 961
lax01: what am i expecting? a good storyline. If you dont plan to tease viewers by pretending to kill off the main character, why do it at all? they dont have any other creative ideas than to waste a 3 episode arc on 'hey wtf medical miracles happen, lets go back to having sex with random people starting in two weeks again as if nothing happened...'

it was a shallow cheap ratings stunt and i lost so much respect for shonda rhimes and the rest of the writers. its like they wrote this episode on the back of a napkin, what the hell was the point of that purgatory scene? that seemed totally a ripoff from the sopranos, expect a lot more poorly done. just left a horrible taste in my mouth.
post #632 of 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

lax01: what am i expecting? a good storyline. If you dont plan to tease viewers by pretending to kill off the main character, why do it at all? they dont have any other creative ideas than to waste a 3 episode arc on 'hey wtf medical miracles happen, lets go back to having sex with random people starting in two weeks again as if nothing happened...'

it was a shallow cheap ratings stunt and i lost so much respect for shonda rhimes and the rest of the writers. its like they wrote this episode on the back of a napkin, what the hell was the point of that purgatory scene? that seemed totally a ripoff from the sopranos, expect a lot more poorly done. just left a horrible taste in my mouth.

actually, the whole point of her dying, was to really show how messed up Meredith was...after dealing with her mom and everything else that has happened to her, she's really in bad shape...tease the viewer? EVERYONE knew she wasn't going to die...you really thought they'd kill her?

I also don't think they're all going to go back to normal in 2 weeks....what I like about this show is that they allow the characters to get comfortable and then they throw them a curve-ball (i.e.: ferry boat accident)...then we spend another few episodes resolving how that affects the characters...I have no doubt that Meredith will be a totally different person next episode...

Nobody said it was purgatory...they left it very vague on purpose...and I assure you, if you read her blog, Shonda worked incredibly hard on these episodes...
post #633 of 961
What is the point here? You like the show or you don't.

Just like "Lost" or "The Sopranos" or "The Office" or anything else on TV.

It certainly doesn't make one viewer "better" than another, or that he or she has better taste whether he or she likes "Grey's" or is entertained by "American Idol" or finds enjoyment watching "CSI".

But it seems to make lots of people feel better to claim some kind of self-professed cultural superiority. So this has become just like so many of the product threads where people who don't have LCDs or perhaps front projectors or (fill in the blank here) are sneered at by their supposed "betters" for their lack of interest in quality.

It is just a television show. If it didn't work for you, so be it.

If we are all so earnestly looking for truly deeper meaning, there are probably far better venues to begin our search than network TV programming.
post #634 of 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

If we are all so earnestly looking for truly deeper meaning, there are probably far better venues to begin our search than network TV programming.

Yep - Battlestar Galactica.
post #635 of 961
as much as i like greys anatomy (well before this 3 episode arc) House is much better show in terms of the respect they have for their characters and not participating in cheap ratings fodder. I dont care how Shonda spins these episodes on her blog and showers herself with some undeserved sense of accomplishment, this last episode was the most slipshod thing i've seen on tv in years.
post #636 of 961
looks like I hafta agree with the prevalent opinion here with the exception being that I really liked the first two of the three episodes. I didn't care for the seeing Denny and the dead people, might have just been that they drug it out to long! I love this show ather than it bringing out my inner wuse, seems like I'm tearing up on a regular basis!!!
post #637 of 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post

I also don't think they're all going to go back to normal in 2 weeks


Well, duh.....the Feb Sweeps are only 4 weeks.
post #638 of 961
While I really wouldn't have minded if they did indeed get rid of Meredith, she is the main character so I knew my wish wouldn't be granted. They shouldn't have written it such that she ends up fine and intact at the end as if she is supposed to just continue as normal. She should have at least some sort of temporary/remnant effect of that traumatic ordeal. Seems like they are really setting up Addison's character for leaving afterall, based on her revelation to Mark that Derrick never felt that way about her. Guess we'll see if her deal works out with Mark.
post #639 of 961
Band Name... Denny and the dead people!!
post #640 of 961
I know the show is just fantasy and I know it's just a soap opera but I wish it would not go so over board for ratings that things just seem ridiculous.

1. Meredith has no brain activity for an hour but she recovers as if she just had a long nap.

2. The best doctor for handling brain problems is her boy friend but he can't help her.

3. Her mother dies just in time to convince her to go back in there and carry on the fight. And OBTW, she convinces her she is not anything like she had been telling her for the past few days.

4. The chief doesn't have time to talk to meredith's mother when she was alive but, suddenly, he finds time when she is dead.

5. Meredith's best friend goes shopping with no wallet or any visible means to pay for anything.

Yea, I'm being picky. But I actually like this show even if they have to have tears every episode. But please, pretty please, I just wish they would stick to some semblance of reality. I'm sure the actors would appreciate it. They are the ones that really make me watch. They make the most ridiculous situations seem like it actually could happen.
post #641 of 961
If "reality" becomes a standard, just about every show on prime time would be in trouble: "24", "Lost", the "CSIs", "House", the "L&O" franchise, "Desperate Housewives", "NCIS", "The Unit", "Ghost Whisperer", "ER", "Criminal Minds", "Bones" and "Without A Trace" just to name a few of the shows normally in the top 30 which don't come anywhere close to reality.

But then we deal with reality every day in our lives, and reality just isn't all that entertaining.

You want reality? There is always "60 Minutes". But come to prime time TV and be prepared to suspend your disbelief. Or simply change the channel when a show's fantasy goes too far to suit your own taste.
post #642 of 961
It isn't as much the unbelievability, it's all the hype leading up to this story arc promising a "shocker of a death that you'd never expect" or "a major character will die". Coupled with the creators comments patting herself on the back for the genius of the plot twist.

Then we get the same schtick we've seen dozens of times before using a completely unbelievable way to carry it out. The major character death turned out to be a minor sub-character of little relevance. Having Lara Flynn Boyle carried off the roof of the Montecito by a gust of wind (on Las Vegas) was ridiculously unrealistic, but was at least a creative plot twist.

This was just a cheap ratings stunt, and the lack of realism is only hard to swallow because it was only to deliver this sad cliche`of a plot.
post #643 of 961
I agree than Shonda tends to get too self-congratulatory for my taste. But the over the top promos have been a TV way of life for decades. (And it seemed to me to be a fairly expensive ratings stunt.)

Most promos, by the way, try to make you believe it would be better to lose a relative than missing the next "shocking" or "amazing" of "life-changing" episode of "ER" (or "Lost" or "Gilmore Girls" or "The War At Home" or "CSI: Dubuque").

Few people read as many spoilers about as many different shows as I do. But when I watch, I just try to forget the hype, the spoilers and everything else and just enjoy the show.

It is not surprising, unnerving or even unpleasant that a large number of folks on this overwhelmingly male-dominated forum have issues with "Grey's".

That's fine. I enjoy it.

And that's fine, too.
post #644 of 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

You want reality? There is always "60 Minutes".

LOL ... or even better, "Dan Rather Reports." ... grueling ... exhausting ... I feel always feel like asking what will be on the final exam.
post #645 of 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCurious View Post

I know the show is just fantasy and I know it's just a soap opera but I wish it would not go so over board for ratings that things just seem ridiculous.

1. Meredith has no brain activity for an hour but she recovers as if she just had a long nap.

2. The best doctor for handling brain problems is her boy friend but he can't help her.

3. Her mother dies just in time to convince her to go back in there and carry on the fight. And OBTW, she convinces her she is not anything like she had been telling her for the past few days.

4. The chief doesn't have time to talk to meredith's mother when she was alive but, suddenly, he finds time when she is dead.

5. Meredith's best friend goes shopping with no wallet or any visible means to pay for anything.

Yea, I'm being picky. But I actually like this show even if they have to have tears every episode. But please, pretty please, I just wish they would stick to some semblance of reality. I'm sure the actors would appreciate it. They are the ones that really make me watch. They make the most ridiculous situations seem like it actually could happen.

It was absurd IMO. She was beyond having permanent brian damage last week! I watched a few minutes of this bologna, rolled my eyes and thought "I hope the b$tch dies" and flipped the channel. "If its gotten this ridiculous just kill her off already". Although I knew very well they would bring her back to life. I guess this unbelievable formula is entertaining for the sesame street crowd.
post #646 of 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

It was absurd IMO. She was beyond having permanent brian damage last week! I watched a few minutes of this bologna, rolled my eyes and thought "I hope the b$tch dies" and flipped the channel. "If its gotten this ridiculous just kill her off already". Although I knew very well they would bring her back to life. I guess this unbelievable formula is entertaining for the sesame street crowd.

have you ever been to a hospital? I don't work at one, so I could be completely off, but I don't think that EVERY SINGLE PERSON that works there is gorgeous....by your logic, they should be using ugly doctors too...

You obviously need to stop watching the show if you expect this to be a realistic medical drama....I hope you don't watch House
post #647 of 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

The major character death turned out to be a minor sub-character of little relevance. Having Lara Flynn Boyle carried off the roof of the Montecito by a gust of wind (on Las Vegas) was ridiculously unrealistic, but was at least a creative plot twist.

You do realize she weighs 70 bucks soaking wet?
post #648 of 961
Obviously this comes as no surprise, but ABC officially announced today it is picking another season of "Grey's Anatomy".
post #649 of 961
Will all of the actors be back though? That's the question.
post #650 of 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

Will all of the actors be back though? That's the question.

I think this would be considered a spoiler if anyone answers this
post #651 of 961
um wow...this thread is dead but that was by far the most amazing Greys in a long time...Adison's spin off is going to absolutely incredible if they bring that line-up back...I have goosebumps...
post #652 of 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post

um wow...this thread is dead but that was by far the most amazing Greys in a long time...Adison's spin off is going to absolutely incredible if they bring that line-up back...I have goosebumps...

The spin off looks very promising... they merged the two together very well IMO. The flow of the show was very great.
post #653 of 961
That spin off was the worst TV I have ever seen. It was one cliche character after another. Every scene was about sex, sexual tension, etc. That script was clearly created by a computer because there was nothing original in it. And, they "forced" viewers to watch it by weaving it into an episode of Grey's. It was cleaver marketing but the poorest excuse for night time programming I have ever seen.
post #654 of 961
I agree. I thought the spin-off episode was terrible - so bad so that I thought it was written by a different writer than Grey's Anatomy (am I right?). A lot of corny, lame situations, the elevator voice was stupid, Addy's character behaved quite differently than on Grey's, overall extremely disappointing and if Addy indeed gets her own show, her castmates won't have to be disappointed as it won't last too long. If someone DVR'ed the show last night, I'd recommend skipping the spin-off entirely as it's boring, adds nothing and the actual Grey's was much more interesting. Too bad no one told me that and I had to watch the spin off (though at the end of the show I figured it out and skipped over the spin-off parts).
post #655 of 961
Yea, that was pretty bad. My wife and I were laughing at how bad the dialogue was. Also, isn't it convienent that everybody in the office is "unattached"...it's so... real life!
post #656 of 961
lol haters...I loved it...

Sark! Marcey! Paul Kellermen! Detective Brett Hopper! Piz!

How can you not love those people? They took all the characters from my favorite cancelled shows (well Prison Break isn't cancelled) and put them together....
post #657 of 961
Spinoff: I'm with dminches. Did NOT like it. Was bored within the first few minutes. I wonder if the Grey's fans are viewing through rose colored glasses.

I'd say skip it, except the Grey's back story was pretty important.
post #658 of 961
Spin off = awful

I too fast forwarded the "Private Practice" parts.

post #659 of 961
I feel scammed. I tuned in to watch Grey's. Not the spinoff. I stopped watching after the first half-hour. Felt like the spinoff was about to turn into an orgy or something along the lines of Nip/Tuck.
I'll watch the DVR tonight and FFW through all the spinoff crap.
post #660 of 961
(From Marc Berman's Friday, May 4, 2007, Programming Insider column and blog at Mediaweek.com )
http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newslett...ider/index.jsp

The expanded new series pilot edition of Grey's Anatomy on ABC dominated from 9-11 p.m., with the half-hour breakdown as follows:

Grey's Anatomy
9:00 p.m.
Viewers: 20.79 million, A18-49: 8.7/23
9:30 p.m.
Viewers: 21.48 million, A18-49: 9.1/23
10:00 p.m.
Viewers: 20.93 million, A18-49: 9.1/24
10:30 p.m.
Viewers: 20.67 million, A18-49: 9.1/25

Overall, Grey's Anatomy averaged 20.97 million viewers and a 9.0/24 among adults 18-49 from 9-11 p.m. Although the ratings are stellar, let's be honest: Is Kate Walsh really strong enough an actress to anchor a new drama? If the spin-off does get on the air, I propose Monday at 9 p.m. out of Dancing With the Stars and into the relocated Men in Trees. How is that for a solid Monday, ABC?...

Source: Nielsen Media Research data
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Grey's Anatomy on ABC