OK all...got it up and running so it's time for a little review.......
First off, this TV is absolutely stunning in my living room! Now, I have only had about an hour or two of uninterrupted veiwing/tweaking/playing time because of my work schedule and have not had time to properly calibrate it with AVIA yet, but here is what I can tell you so far:
1) design of the cabinet itself is to me awesome looking (almost ALL screen with thin bezel and base)
2) warm up time seems to be shorter then stated in the manual (all of about 15-20 seconds for nice bright picture)
3) Can lower or completely turn OFF the blue power light at the bottom (great for dark room DVD watching!)
4) Side bars are BLACK not gray if you so choose to watch SD in normal mode
5) why watch it in normal mode...the stretch modes are done VERY well and you can barely tell that its stretched at all!
6) SD looks very decent if you are back enough from the TV anyway (I would not recommend sitting too close as you will see a sort of grainy gelatin type of pixelation [for lack of a better description] on SD and low quality broadcasts
7) When watching a DVD with the theater pro mode on it looks absolutely wonderful as it tones down the artificial brightness and vibrantness. If you have the room dark on this mode with a DVD playing I swear it looks the closest to FILM that I have ever seen on a consumer grade set. And mind you this is BEFORE calibration!
8) The dynamic gamma does a great job producing dark blacks from what I have seen so far.
Now some CONs I have noticed -
1) When watching SD broadcasts (from my cable at least) there is some of the grainy gelatin looking pixelation [if someone has a better term for this let me know lol] as the scenes pan around.
2) The fan noise is noticable if you have the sound very low or off, not a biggie for me but if you have it set-up in a small room it may be an issue for you.
3) Other than the theater mode, it is a bright set...I happen to like this quality but I have read some complain that this is a negative for them so I'll note it here.
That's about all I can think of at the moment and as I am stuck at work all day again today I can't play with it more until tonight. If you guys have any questions about things I didn't mention post them here and I'll answer the best I can with the limited experience I have with the set so far.
Also, I have to thank everyone here for all the information about various sets and technologies out there so that I could make such an informed purchase! I have absolutely no buyers remorse and am very happy with my decision to purchase this set over a DLP or other type. On a side note the WAF for me was extremely high (YMMV). My wife (who by the way cares nothing about electronics except the price) said WOW when she saw me turn it on for the first time, and actually said good job honey it looks perfect I can even see the details now (She wears glasses).
Anyway, for those who have already ordered their's don't worry about your purchase...I believe you WILL BE HAPPY!
P.S. I did take some pics, but had no time to post them, hopefully I will do it tonight so you all can have a look.
Take care all,