or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Panasonic XR55 7.1 Digital Receiver
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic XR55 7.1 Digital Receiver - Page 113

post #3361 of 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisTheKing View Post

If your speakers have a very varying impedance curve, then Pannies could sound harsh and bright, more precisely very varying over the freq spectrum. There is no circuit to correct this in these amps. Some speakers sound good with XR series, some are warm, some are bright. You should try them before buying such a unit.

"Tube like warm sound" is caused by the output filter charachteristic.

I have read somewhere that Bruno Putzeys (former Phillips engineer) has built a Class D circuit that is not affected by crazy impedance curve, it is called UcD amp, Universal Class D....

In theory, yes because the XR has relatively high output impedance. But how likely we use the XR to drive speakers with an impedance curve that is crazy enough to badly distort the system's FR, is another practical matter. At least, with the 7 different pairs of speakers I tried (all with the XR and other amps for fair comparison), I didn't see a noticeable effect.
post #3362 of 3606
I am having trouble deciding between this reciever and the XR57. HDMI pass-through is not important to me so that is not a factor in the decision.

I have the Velodyne front rows, running only a 5.1 setup. Will the dual amp feature of the XR57 make a huge difference, or does the XR55 have enough juice to where the added power of the XR57 is negligible? I haven't yet picked out my sub, but as far as I know both recievers are no different in their support of a powered sub.

Really I just want to know if I'm short changing myself by picking the 55 over the 57, or if the dual amp feature will not make a huge difference with my particular speaker setup.
post #3363 of 3606
Go with the 55 if you don't need HDMI. You won't notice any difference between dual amp and single amp in 5.1 mode.
post #3364 of 3606
what do you think about onkyo?
post #3365 of 3606
I have a pair of speakers that is biwireable(Wharfedale). In the XR 55 manual it shows what it calls "biwiring" that uses both speaker A and B terminals. In the Wharfedale instructions it shows "biwiring" using two sets of cables from one set of speaker terminals. The Wharfedale method is the one I have seen in other descriptions of biwiring. The XR 55 description is more like what is described as "biamping".

If I go with the traditional means of biwiring will I hurt my speakers or my receiver?
post #3366 of 3606
Yes, what the XR55 manual calls "biwiring" is actually "biamping." Biwiring will not hurt anything in your system, but it won't change anything in sound quality of your system, either. Most people here don't believe in biwiring. Its effect is simply that of using a thicker cable. If you're already using 14AWG or thicker cable, biwiring won't make any difference. Try biamping or triamping (dual amp on the bass and another amp on the tweeter).
post #3367 of 3606
Jay,

Thanks for the input. How would I "triamp" with the XR 55?

I use a technique I got from the Wharfedale folks, and I call it "cross connecting". Instead of having each cable be connected to either high or low, I have one connector on high and the other one on low. Each speaker is matched in the connecting scheme. I find it produces a slightly more lively sound.
post #3368 of 3606
You cannot triamp with XR55, I believe 57 can do tat
post #3369 of 3606
Yes, you can triamp with the XR55 in a stereo mode. The only difference between 55 and 57 is that the 55 doesn't support dual-amp in a 5.1 mode but the 57 does.
post #3370 of 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMineral View Post

Jay,

Thanks for the input. How would I "triamp" with the XR 55?

I use a technique I got from the Wharfedale folks, and I call it "cross connecting". Instead of having each cable be connected to either high or low, I have one connector on high and the other one on low. Each speaker is matched in the connecting scheme. I find it produces a slightly more lively sound.

There SHould be no difference between the regular way of biwiring and what you call "cross connecting." I strongly suspect that the effect you believe you perceive is a placebo effect.

To triamp your speakers in 2-ch mode, connect speakers according to the "biwiring connection" described in page 8 of the manual. Then, when the receiver in a 2-ch mode, if the dual amp and the bi-amp lights are both on, the receiver is in the tri-amp mode. If the dual amp light is off and the bi-amp light is on, then the receiver is in the regualr bi-amp mode. The tri-amp mode is essentially bi-amp plus dual amp. You can turn the dual amp function on or off in the menu.
post #3371 of 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_WJ View Post

Yes, you can triamp with the XR55 in a stereo mode. The only difference between 55 and 57 is that the 55 doesn't support dual-amp in a 5.1 mode but the 57 does.




Do you guys who have experience with both, XR55 and XR57 consider the 5.1 Dual Amp feature to be as good as it is on the XR55 for stereo only?
post #3372 of 3606
On the XR57, you can turn the dual amp function off. I couldn't tell the difference between the 5.1 dual amp and single amp modes, at least in my setup.
post #3373 of 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_WJ View Post

On the XR57, you can turn the dual amp function off. I couldn't tell the difference between the 5.1 dual amp and single amp modes, at least in my setup.


That is surprising.
post #3374 of 3606
This is actually not so surprising. In a 5.1 mode, the center channel speaker works as much as (or more than) front speakers. So dual amp for front speakers may not have much effect on overall sound quality.
post #3375 of 3606
Got the XR55 from Circuit City web site with free shipping. Set it up in bedroom. I like the sound quality. Wife also likes the small size(I have a couple Harman Kardons that are big and heavy) and the silver color that matches the color of the DVD player.

I missed the all channel stereo mode at first. Now I think it's OK after I raised a few dB on the rear speakers.

Connected an optical cable from TV to XR55 and like the Dolby Digital sound of HD channels. XR55 displays the audio format of the TV channels: Steoeo(analog), 2 or 3(LCR) or 5.1 Dolby Digital, etc. Very cool.

The remote is not too bad. One thing I found handy is the subwoofer level button.
post #3376 of 3606
I've bought several XR55's for friends (when Amazon had some of their deals on it). I am wondering if there is any competition to the XR55 currently in its current price class? ($250ish) It's been about 6 months since I bought it and was wondering if other stuff was or is coming out?

Thanks
post #3377 of 3606
I apologize in advance for the noob question, but didn't have time to search 113 pages!

Why can I not adjust the level of the front left and front right speakers? I'm given the option of changing the subwoofer level, center channel, and both rear surround speakers. I thought this was odd....
post #3378 of 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post

I apologize in advance for the noob question, but didn't have time to search 113 pages!

Why can I not adjust the level of the front left and front right speakers? I'm given the option of changing the subwoofer level, center channel, and both rear surround speakers. I thought this was odd....

You don't adjust the LR levels directly; you adjust the balance. You balance the fronts and then adjust the levels of the other channels.
post #3379 of 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_T View Post

You don't adjust the LR levels directly; you adjust the balance. You balance the fronts and then adjust the levels of the other channels.

And it can't be done with the remote. You have to do it on the receiver.
post #3380 of 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post

And it can't be done with the remote. You have to do it on the receiver.

I think you can adjust it with the remote.
post #3381 of 3606
Balance you can't... Rear and center levels you can!
post #3382 of 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafAudiophile View Post

I think you can adjust it with the remote.

Balance can't be adjusted with the remote.
post #3383 of 3606
My bad. Got the XR55 mixed up with the XR25 which could adjust the balance with remote.
post #3384 of 3606
newb alert!

actually, I should know this by now.. or maybe I did at one time, but now I can't recall the answer...


what is the point of adjusting (or balancing in this case) the volume of your front left and right speakers? I can see if you are primarily seated in a location which is closer to one speaker than the other, and you want to even out the volume for that seating position.. but other than that, what's the point of it?

Adjusting volume on a sub, center channel and the various surrounds so that they are in proper volume relation to the mains, that.. I can see. But aside from the one example I've provided above, I cannot fathom the purpose of needing L/R volume/balance adjustments. What am I missing?
post #3385 of 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

newb alert!
what is the point of adjusting (or balancing in this case) the volume of your front left and right speakers? I can see if you are primarily seated in a location which is closer to one speaker than the other, and you want to even out the volume for that seating position.. but other than that, what's the point of it?

You answered it yourself - so that the volume of both front speakers are of the same loudness from your primary listening position.

Once the fronts are balanced, you can then proceed adjust the center and surrounds to volume-match the fronts. This is how most of us calibrate the Panny.

post #3386 of 3606
well, ok then. I guess I hadn't forgotten the answer afterall!

thanks.
post #3387 of 3606
Are their any better receiver out there for under $200? Would this be an upgrade over my Onkyo R500 which came included in a HTiB? My speakers are: 4 Athena AS-F2s and 1 AS-C1.
post #3388 of 3606
With all the features & sound quality the Panasonic offers, the short answer is "no".
Your Athenas sound be a perfect match for it.
post #3389 of 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post

With all the features & sound quality the Panasonic offers, the short answer is "no".
Your Athenas sound be a perfect match for it.

"no" it wouldn't be better than my current Onkyo...or "no," there's nothing better for the price?

oh btw...can I get the 55 in black for the same price as the silver anywhere? The black is about $50 more than the silver at Amazon.
post #3390 of 3606
I've no experience with your model Onkyo, I do, however do not think you can find a better multi-channel receiver for *what the Panasonic goes for*.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Panasonic XR55 7.1 Digital Receiver