Originally Posted by knackll
I just wanted to let everyone know that the user Crabbon in this forum was an absolute Godsend!! He has been very helpful to the point of discussing this Panasonic plasma issue with the 1/3 offset monitor on his own dime. He was absolutely correct as to how to fix the problem & I did it for less than $40.00.
I bought the TNPXJIG (test Jig)
from Panasonic which now stocks this part that at one time was discontinued (I wonder why they decided to restock?? RIGHT!!). I received the part with no instructions at all but, thanks to Bruzzi's fantastic website and Crabbon's instructions I made it through the ordeal. However, I made one mistake of powering off the TV with the remote at the end of the programing instead of the power button on the tv and it locked me in the service mode without letting me have the option to set the sleep timer. Without being able to set the sleep timer I was not able to get in or out of the mode so I reset the TV by holding down the power button and the ok and it reset me back to normal.
At this point my PLasma is back in action and working great. Thanks to all the great people on this forum who have helped. It's because of you guys that people like me have the opportunity to keep from making a big costly mistake in service & parts.
One other thing, SHAME on PANASONIC
for not openly coming forth on this issue which, after loosing my temper with the tech guy he finally admitted to me that there is an issue. They should fix this problem by issuing a recall notice! This is a freak problem not caused by the consumer. Just think how many people have probably paid the $600.00+ for the dg board and a service guy to come out to do the repair. Thats not right, especially after paying $2000.00 for their product.
I'm quoting Crabbon's work of instructions to hopefully continue to help others out there with this issue. DO NOT PAY FOR A DG BOARD! IF YOUR TV IS SKEWED IN 480I MODE ITS MOST LIKELY THE SOFTWARE UPDATE ISSUE. YOU CAN DO THIS UPDATE ITS VERY EASY!! CRABBON INSTRUCTIONS BELOW:
1) Remove one screw in the back of the plasma in the top left to access connector PA23.
2) Plug in the EEPROM (the part # above), and turn on the unit.
3) Go to serviceman mode (BRUZZI'S WEBSITE HAS INSTRUCTIONS if the part does not have them as to HOW TO GET INTO SERVICEMAN MODE
4) Go to EEP "AREA" and press "OK"
5) Press > cursor button twice to select "15 9C FIX", press "OK"
6) Select EEP "EX > IN" and "15 9E _____" will begin flashing yellow/purple once data transfer starts. (about 30 seconds)
7) When EEPROM data update is done, the unit will turn off and back on.
Wait for it to power itself back on. (about 30 seconds)
8) Do some self checks if you like
9) Make sure to power off the TV with the button on the plasma! Not the remote
10) Disconnect AC cord, remove JIG, and turn it on.
10) Enjoy, your plasma is fixed!!!
This really works!!