Found a front panel service menu this evening. This is dangerous stuff, so don't try this unless you are having a problem and your unit is already out of warranty.
When the unit boots up, the instant Welcome
appears, press and hold Menu
simultaneously. Keep holding until the display says Repair?
. Release both keys.
Then press and hold one of the following keys:
- Format to get Clear NVM? (NVM = non-volatile memory)
- Select to get Zero HDD? (resets CPRM code? does not appear to modify the disk itself)
- Exit to get Wipe Unit? (performs both a Clear NVM and Zero HDD in one operation)
Release the key.
Once one of the above questions is displayed, there is a lengthy confirmation step to actually execute the operation. You'll notice there's a 1
displayed above the operation name.
- Press and hold Guide until the number changes to a 2 (takes about 5 seconds).
- Release Guide and press Exit until the number changes to a 3.
- Release Exit and press Format until the number changes to a 4 - the operation will then begin.