Originally Posted by HonestLeeD
James - unfortunately, your method hasn't worked for me in Central NJ...although I get three analog stations with cable scan (and two doing an antennae scan), the senior level engineer from Comcast with whom I've been working told me neither of those carry TVGOS data and are used by Comcast field techs for diagnostics. My understanding is that the TVGOS data is incorporated into the digital QAM NY CBS affiliate signal sent out by Comcast (TVGOS to CBS via Rovi). I've also engaged Sony "Tier 2" support to see if they can figure out whether a new firmware upgrade beyond v1.21 may be required to enable the DHG tuner to decipher the TVGOS data, but as yet have not heard back. The the senior level engineer from Comcast also wondered if perhaps the circuitry in the DHG cannot interpret the TVGOS from a Digital QAM despite the ability of the DHG to otherwise function properly as a receiver broadcasting content, just not TVGOS; we're hopeful it's a software, and not circuitry (hardware) issue, and looking for help from Sony on that as well.
Lastly, under hidden menus we did a "Factory Default Reset" (unfortuantely eliminating channel listings), and clock went to "----" and under 753... diagnostics was stuck at 1/1/04. Subsequently the senior level engineer from Comcast took my DHG to his home (as his Bravia gets TVGOS off Comcast signal to test), no new grid or restoration of clock on face of unit, however, clock does indicate time and date under 753... diagnostics screen, albeit it's off by a few hours indicating it's misinterpreting the time zone! The tech's signal is from CBS Philly whereas mine is CBS NYC so perhaps Rovi (as per Sony Eng'r report of 6/30) is experiencing "issues" in the NY area.
Either way, I'm really very non-technical and grasping at straws (have read many threads and posted a few before looking for help but still feel adrift); ANYTHING ELSE anyone on this site can suggest to help restore my clock and grid as a fix for my CABLE ONLY setup (3 units) would be greatly appreciated as I too really don't want to give up on my DHGs which I've used for about 10 years now .
p.s. have spent hours on hold at Rovi (literally), and sent a couple emails, all with no reply as yet.
Everything that WS65711 said is true, and good information.
It has been proven numerous times that receiving the TVGOS through a QAM channel works as well as getting it OTA, so that is not the issue (this was also proven by the DHG setting the GMT clock a the Comcast person's house). The clock in the 753 menu will always show GMT time, never local time. That is how it works. The Sony has to get a timezone packet from the TVGOS data, which will tell the front panel how far to adjust its clock so it reads local time (even after this happens, the 753 menu will still show GMT time). You said you saw in the 753 menu that you were still running 1.2.21 firmware, but I don't think that version is visible anywhere in the 753 menus. However, what you will find in the 753 menu is the TVGOS base version which will be 08.01.71 on 1.2.21 firmware, or 08.01.42 on all firmware versions below that. There is one way that I know of to keep the version 1.2.21 even if you do the 'Restore Factory Defaults', and that is if you sent the unit back to Sony for repair, I believe they would permanently install the 1.2.21 firmware files onto the hidden partiton of the hard drive. This is the firmware that gets restored with a 'Restore Factory Defaults'.
If you connected the DHG to cable and, after a couple of hours, it did not even set the GMT clock on the 753 menu screen, then one of these things must be happening:
1) You are running firmware older than 1.2.21, and you didn't run the G* Test.
2) The cable card is blocking the TVGOS data.
3) Comcast's equipment is stripping the data from NYC's signal.
4) Comcast's equipment is munging NYC's data in some other way.
If you are running 1.2.21 firmware, and there is data there, the DHG will find it. From what you described I would conclude that either number 1 or number 3 is what is happening. The fact that it set the GMT clock when he took it to his home eliminates the possibility of a hardware problem in the DHG (and probably eliminates number 1 too, since he probably didn't run the G* Test either). The fact that it didn't get a grid there doesn't surprise me at all since (even with OTA) it can take a few days, to a few weeks, and in a few cases months to build a grid for the reasons that WS65711 explained.