or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 894

post #26791 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

That is very good to know, the older Tivo's I played with series 3 and before where way off when restarting with "play". If the seriers 4 can do either a 60 or 90 speed and get within 15 seconds of the "actual" show then that will be good enough for me. All other DVR's I had tried that on were often up to 4 minutes off.
TiVo has three FF or RW speeds and the "jump backs" vary accordingly. I prefer the 30sec skip forward which is instantaneous and works as fast as I can push the button. If I push it fast enough it will skip multiple 30 sec periods in one jump. The 8sec skip back is perfect for correcting the inevitable overshoot and works as instantaneously as the skip forward. Additionally there is a 15min skip forward or backward if you want to get somewhere in a long recording in a hurry.
post #26792 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson

That is very good to know, the older Tivo's I played with series 3 and before where way off when restarting with "play". If the seriers 4 can do either a 60 or 90 speed and get within 15 seconds of the "actual" show then that will be good enough for me. All other DVR's I had tried that on were often up to 4 minutes off.

HP, FWIW I've always preferred using FF on the DHG rather than the skip. I found it VERY easy to transition to the fastest FF on the Premiere and hit the cue adjust within a second or so. You won't be disappointed with it. smile.gif
post #26793 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post

Not true, at least in my case.  Doing a 753 check shows, "Time Zone Offset      0".       (Except briefly when I got it from WKBN, and originally with WVIZ.)

 
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

the 0 offset is why you still have the front panel clock, resets on my DHG cause the offset to go to garbage numbers like -4294967295 (WS65711, should be able to verify this on his DHG). invalid offsets like that cause the front panel clock to be --:--. So the question is why does your DHG apparently fill memory with 0x00 on a reset, and most DHGs get filled with 0xFF, or some other garbage. It's puzzling.

BTW my guide clock always fills in with a time.
Mark

 

While I was going back and correcting my colored-text posts, I read your message again and was wondering. 

 

Maybe nothing, but... 

 

All my resets were done during a 'live' signal to the HDD250.  Could the clock thing act differently if no signal is present during a reset?  Are we dealing with different updates/mods, perhaps not documented?   Maybe we'll never know?  Will the Cleveland Browns ever win a Super Bowl?   biggrin.gif

post #26794 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Regarding CleCakYngMfd's post formatting, other users have encountered similar problems. Wordpad, like Notepad, is a plain-text editor and does not support formatting, but Word does. It is likely that copying the text from there into a post is preserving the formatting and overriding the forum defaults. Composing messages in the forum's text fields, as well as using Wordpad or Notepad, should avoid that problem.

 

Well, I have corrected a post (I'll search again, I thought there is another one) with the color problem.  Strange, but I copied the text this time to NotePad, then back to the forum.  I don't see the color problem until I changed to the black background.  I looked at the source code in the forum editor and it shows, "404040" for the text color.

 

One more time, I take the forum text back to NotePad.  This time I changed the Font Size to 16 and the text to Verdana.  Copy-n-Paste back to the forum and this time it worked.  

post #26795 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Unfortunately, I can't confirm this. My DHG also has a zero offset, but I haven't had a Front Panel Clock for several weeks.

Edit-1: I went back about 2 hours after I took these picture and did the "653274147" Reset again just to be sure of the result. The offset was again at 0. And as others have indicated, the Guide Screen clock doesn't start to run until after the DHG is turned "Off" and back "On" again.

Edit-2: I just went back again and did a Guide reset from the "9012" menu. After this reset the offset was still at "0", however I did notice that the Guide Screen clock ran immediately afterwards.. it never noticeably went to "--:--", only to "12:00" and began updating. There was no need to power off/on to get the clock to start.

Mark... maybe there is a difference between what happens with the normal "Guide" reset and the "653" reset?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post

While I was going back and correcting my colored-text posts, I read your message again and was wondering.

Maybe nothing, but...

All my resets were done during a 'live' signal to the HDD250.  Could the clock thing act differently if no signal is present during a reset?  Are we dealing with different updates/mods, perhaps not documented?   Maybe we'll never know?  Will the Cleveland Browns ever win a Super Bowl?   biggrin.gif

Strange stuff here. I decided to try this out for myself. I did a 9012 TVGOS reset. My front panel clock actually reset to 12:00, and was still there after the reset (I swear it didn't used to survive that reset). I checked the offset, and sure enough it was 0. I know in the past I have seen crazy numbers in the offset field after a reset. Then I unplugged the DHG, and when I plugged it back in, the front panel clock didn't come back. The offset was still 0, so I thought maybe when TVGOS set the GMT clock the front panel clock might come back, so I turned the DHG off, and left it alone for awhile. The clock didn't come back. I finally turned it back on to try some other things, but when I pressed the power button, the DHG spontaneously rebooted. When it came back up, the front panel clock was back. I went in and looked at the last reset and it was an 0x8013 reset (I don't know what that is). I decided to start all over with a 9012 reset (clock was still there), unplug/replug (clock gone). Then I did a few other resets (front panel reset, 653 reset 9012 reset, etc.), the clock has never come back.

CleCakYngMfd, I'm not sure what you mean by a live signal. Do you mean having the antenna connected to the DHG? That is how I always have done resets, although I played around the other day with doing the front panel reset without the antenna connected, but that is the first time I ever did that.

Mark
post #26796 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

HP, FWIW I've always preferred using FF on the DHG rather than the skip. I found it VERY easy to transition to the fastest FF on the Premiere and hit the cue adjust within a second or so. You won't be disappointed with it. smile.gif

Thanks Possumgirl, based on what you, Mark and others have said I should be able to adjust well to the Premiere. The Skip on the Sony I just disregarded, and even forgot it was there - basically it did not work for me. The smart que adjust on the other hand was utopia.

It is encouraging to know that the Premiere (even if non-adjustable) is able to somewhat mimic the DHG in this regard, and hopefully work for me. If "I" am able to adjust within a 15 second window via hitting it with "play", then that would work for me.

I am sort of looking forward to getting the Premiere. I am not excited about the high cost subscription; but if the box will last longer than 5 years it makes it a tiny amount easier to accept. Of course 7 or more years is better.

One of the caveats for us: We may end up moving way out in the country in as little as two years. That means satellite and a whole new adventure.
post #26797 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

One of the caveats for us: We may end up moving way out in the country in as little as two years. That means satellite and a whole new adventure.

Check carefully on which Premier models (if any) support Satellite. I know the model I have (Premier XL) does not.
post #26798 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

CleCakYngMfd, I'm not sure what you mean by a live signal. Do you mean having the antenna connected to the DHG? That is how I always have done resets, although I played around the other day with doing the front panel reset without the antenna connected, but that is the first time I ever did that.

Mark
I'm now wondering if my testing with rf disconnected may be changing the parameters. I know that the lack of rf prevents the DHG from recording. I wonder if it might change the clock/channel search operation also. There are just too many variables to make accurate predictions, so I guess I'll wait untl the data goes away.
post #26799 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

... so I guess I'll wait until the data goes away.

Mine went away on December 6th. I thought that Mark still had data? Maybe I missed it if he said his was gone . . .
post #26800 of 29213
Anybody familiar with the Rovi Services Gateway? I was at the ROVI Facebook site, giving my 2 cents on how their move to pull the plug on TVGOS for OTA/Cable has bricked many devices. And on the left hand side of the web site there is an entry on a demo of Rovi Services Gateway, which transforms the legacy guide experience into TotalGuide. Would Legacy mean our TVGOS?

https://www.facebook.com/RoviCorp
post #26801 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Check carefully on which Premier models (if any) support Satellite. I know the model I have (Premier XL) does not.
\
From tivo.com:
"Works with all cable providers. Antenna is supported on TiVo Premiere but not Premiere 4 or Premiere XL4. Satellite not supported, but you can get a TiVo HD DVR from DIRECTV."
post #26802 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Mine went away on December 6th. I thought that Mark still had data? Maybe I missed it if he said his was gone . . .

My data is still here. I wouldn't have reset it yesterday if it wasn't. I do realize the "danger" in resetting the DHG at this point. The data could vanish at anytime. I haven't recorded anything on my DHG since I got the TiVo at the end of last year. My front panel clock did come back overnight, and is correct.

Mark
post #26803 of 29213
^^
It was your Front Panel Clock that had me wondering. It seemed like it was gone for quite a while? Maybe Rovi's messin' witcha?
post #26804 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

^^
It was your Front Panel Clock that had me wondering. It seemed like it was gone for quite a while? Maybe Rovi's messin' witcha?

After a reset, my front panel clock is gone until I get a timezonepkt which in the past has taken up to three days. For about the last year and a half, I have been getting at least one timezonepkt a day though.
post #26805 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Check carefully on which Premier models (if any) support Satellite. I know the model I have (Premier XL) does not.

Since our situation is fluid - on where we live and what services are available, it is all "iffy"

Right now we are only OTA so the base Premier is the only choice for us.
post #26806 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

Right now we are only OTA so the base Premier is the only choice for us.

Or the Premier XL also does OTA but has larger drive and illuminated remote.
post #26807 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy900 View Post

Anybody familiar with the Rovi Services Gateway? I was at the ROVI Facebook site, giving my 2 cents on how their move to pull the plug on TVGOS for OTA/Cable has bricked many devices. And on the left hand side of the web site there is an entry on a demo of Rovi Services Gateway, which transforms the legacy guide experience into TotalGuide. Would Legacy mean our TVGOS?

https://www.facebook.com/RoviCorp

No. This has to do with cable companies and the start of the roll out to IP Video services. Here is a white paper from Cisco that explains all this.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps11488/ps12334/ps12291/CiscoMultiscreenGateway_WP.pdf
Towards the end of the document you will see some schematics on how this will work.
Joe Kustra and I might start seeing this in the near future with our cable company, especially with guide services.
The news announcement from Rovi.
http://www.rovicorp.com/company/news-center/pressreleases/1434_17176.htm
It might be possible that the DHG will work with some of these ideas as it is nothing more than a cable box since it has a cable card slot. It will require some type of MoCa bridge. Bundle 4 of the Cisco document shows how this maybe possible. This idea will start gatting the cable companies out of the STB rental business and shift it to the customer. STB DVRs are big losses to cable companies as the boxes cost them about $600 to $800 each and take over five years of rental fees in order to break even. The average life span of a STB DVR is about 2 to 3 years for your cable provider. The Pace RNG 200 that I have from SECV has an ethernet port but it is not active yet. It also has a MoCa bridge built into it.
post #26808 of 29213
Thanks for the info Jed1, I kinda thought the Legacy Guide ROVI was referring to was our OTA/Cable TVGOS.and not cable company related.rolleyes.gif
post #26809 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

I am sort of looking forward to getting the Premiere. I am not excited about the high cost subscription; but if the box will last longer than 5 years it makes it a tiny amount easier to accept. Of course 7 or more years is better.
Take what you spent to buy the DHG then double it as a fair comparison to the $600 TiVo since the TiVo comes with two tuners and double the guide length. The only thing that typically goes wrong with a TiVo is the HDD eventually dies. That is user replaceable and procedures are fully documented on the TiVo forum. My TiVoHD just celebrated its 4 yr birthday and that includes the external expansion drive that everyone said at the time would only last a year (if I was lucky) -- good ventilation to keep everything cool is the key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Check carefully on which Premier models (if any) support Satellite. I know the model I have (Premier XL) does not.
TiVo does not support satellite. But a TiVo with lifetime has a good resale value on Ebay.
post #26810 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

This idea will start gatting the cable companies out of the STB rental business and shift it to the customer. STB DVRs are big losses to cable companies as the boxes cost them about $600 to $800 each and take over five years of rental fees in order to break even. The average life span of a STB DVR is about 2 to 3 years for your cable provider. The Pace RNG 200 that I have from SECV has an ethernet port but it is not active yet. It also has a MoCa bridge built into it.

I don't think your information is quite correct. I can buy the exact same MOTO box (with DVR and dual tuner) for around $300. That's ONE at a time. When you're buying 10's of thousands, I would imagine you'd be getting a slight discount off of that. Also, the box in my house is almost 5 years old. At $17/month, that's about $1000.00 the cable company rakes in. I believe that equipment rental is a HUGE source of income for the cable companies. It also secures their services. Unlike in the early days when they relied on filters and first gen scramblers that were easily defeated.
post #26811 of 29213
Has anybody that has lost their TVGOS/Clock, tried another zipcode to a known station that is still transmitting the TVGOS signal in their timezone, to get some listings and or clock back?....rolleyes.gif
post #26812 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy900 View Post

Has anybody that has lost their TVGOS/Clock, tried another zipcode to a known station that is still transmitting the TVGOS signal in their timezone, to get some listings and or clock back?....rolleyes.gif

Yes.  Previous TVGOS/Clock was from WVIZ CLE.  They stopped TVGOS in November.  The Listings were fading away.  Not long after, either I had a lockup or I did a reset, always had a clock.  For a while, I was doing manual recordings with a clock way off the correct time until I eventually did the Guide Reset at 12am on a Thursday (for the 1/1/2004 date). 
 

One day I noticed the clock and date updated.  How had that happened?  Well, at certain times, WKBN 27.1 Youngstown's signal would pop-in just long enough to update the clock and date.  It became the new Host channel.  That is with my local zip, also.  Then, the very week I was trying to get a Grid and Listings turned-out it was not to be.   They pulled TVGOS on the 28th.   Before that, I did do one G* Test with that station, and in less than 30 seconds I had the clock and date updated!  I do not know if I would have received Listings with my zip, but I was going to try that Youngstown zip one more time.  However, I first eMailed WKBN to check when they were going to pull the TVGOS - - - and got the bad, sad news.
 
Therefore, in short, the zip does not matter to get a proper clock and date - - - within your time zone.

post #26813 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post


Therefore, in short, the zip does not matter to get a proper clock and date - - - within your time zone.
That is quite logical. Unless you live on the edge of two time zones the clock and its support data would be the same.
post #26814 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post

[...]
Therefore, in short, the zip does not matter to get a proper clock and date - - - within your time zone.

This is not always true. Only if you have the correct timezone offset, would the clock be corrected by a station outside of your DMA. Most likely YNG was in your DMA, so you probably would have gotten data even with your local zip code. I could explain the technical reason for this, but at this point it doesn't matter. What does matter is, if someone wants to try to pull in a station transmitting TVGOS that is a long way away, it is best to set your zip code to one close to the transmitting station, otherwise you may find that it doesn't work.

Mark
post #26815 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Take what you spent to buy the DHG then double it as a fair comparison to the $600 TiVo since the TiVo comes with two tuners and double the guide length. The only thing that typically goes wrong with a TiVo is the HDD eventually dies. That is user replaceable and procedures are fully documented on the TiVo forum. My TiVoHD just celebrated its 4 yr birthday and that includes the external expansion drive that everyone said at the time would only last a year (if I was lucky) -- good ventilation to keep everything cool is the key.
TiVo does not support satellite. But a TiVo with lifetime has a good resale value on Ebay.

Yes there are a few good advantages to the TiVo. Recording two shows at once is a definite plus as is the season pass. I think much of the time the user defined automatic priority thingy will help some with program overlaps. I will miss the instant user defined times on start and end of programs –was so super easy. And everyone tells me I will get use to the “speeding through commercials” with the TiVo version of semi-smart que adjust (where “I” do the adjusting).

The TiVo to DHG comparison is sort of like the 30 year old Maytag being compared to a new high priced LG washer. The old Maytag always worked like a tank, you picked out the size of the load, the water temp, and how aggressive the agitator was and it virtually never went out of balance. With the new LG you almost have to be a computer programmer. “Load Sensing” (for the correct amount of water) does not always work as intended, and sometimes there is not enough water to get the clothes clean………….but we have figured out ways to over ride the computer to get enough water in the washer. If you are not real careful in loading the washer and programming it; it will go out of balance easily. So we have become computer programmers to run a washing machine. Once you spend a couple of months with the new washer, we finally have figured out “how to program it” to make it do what it is supposed to do. In that regard it can do “many” things better than the old Maytag. Much bigger loads for one – nearly three times bigger and still using less water overall. And just how neat is it to “steam clean” two pair of tennis shoes on the rack in the dryer. Things the Maytag could never do. So in that regard we now consider the new LG set washing utopia.

The 30 year old Maytag washer and dryer went with the old house; the buyer wanted it real bad; they knew what it was. So now we have a high ticket LG washer dryer, the same frigging price of my first new car. And while the appliance salesman said the LG is indeed the most fantastic Washer/Dryer made; it will NOT “last” like the old Maytag’s. He said it won’t even be a close draw. He said we would be lucky to get 8 years out of it – YIKES!
post #26816 of 29213
^^^
Not to get too far OT here, but you really have me laughing because I also got a new washer/dryer last year to replace my 20 year old set. Nine months in and I'm still wishing I had my old agitator back. biggrin.gif Trust me, you'll find it much easier to adjust to a TiVo vs. the DHG!!!
post #26817 of 29213
Another thing about those shiny new front loaders... be sure to leave the washer door open when not in use. Otherwise prepare for the stink that starts in about 6-12 months. We learned the hard way . . .
post #26818 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Another thing about those shiny new front loaders... be sure to leave the washer door open when not in use. Otherwise prepare for the stink that starts in about 6-12 months. We learned the hard way . . .

We were lucky on that point, the Sears man said: "go with the fancy pants top loader so you don't stink".............so far we're not stinking, but it's only been 3 months LOL Just to be safe we leave the lid open.
post #26819 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Not to get too far OT here, but you really have me laughing because I also got a new washer/dryer last year to replace my 20 year old set. Nine months in and I'm still wishing I had my old agitator back. biggrin.gif

I don't know, IMHO, it would be like having a perfectly good working Maytag, but having to replace it because Tide stop making the (non HE) detergent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Trust me, you'll find it much easier to adjust to a TiVo vs. the DHG!!!

That has not been my experience. While my new TiVo can tune in clear QAM channels, it refuses to record from them even in manual mode. The DHG can not only easily record from clear QAM channels, I can edit its Program Guide to use QAM channels..

To avoid some conflicts, I can set the DHG to record the 1am encore broadcast of the show. It is really, really difficult to do such on the TiVo (the 1am encore is tagged as a repeat, not a 2nd chance at a new episode).
post #26820 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post

I don't know, IMHO, it would be like having a perfectly good working Maytag, but having to replace it because Tide stop making the (non HE) detergent.
That has not been my experience. While my new TiVo can tune in clear QAM channels, it refuses to record from them even in manual mode. The DHG can not only easily record from clear QAM channels, I can edit its Program Guide to use QAM channels..

To avoid some conflicts, I can set the DHG to record the 1am encore broadcast of the show. It is really, really difficult to do such on the TiVo (the 1am encore is tagged as a repeat, not a 2nd chance at a new episode).
Strange. Without a cable card I recorded many clear QAM shows. I got tired of the warnings so I got the card. If you don't set a Season Pass you can select any episode of any show to record. Only the SP makes you go though hoops to select just the repeat.

As example, a SP of SyFy's Continuum would be hard since none are new. I does usually handle The Daily Show properly, but not always.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread