or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 916

post #27451 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy900 View Post

Or you can just adjust to the variance in time and just be off by a couple of hours. You will have to know what time of the day the DHG is on AM or PM......wink.gif
AM or PM can be determined from FP if it has time or the 753.. display since it's a 24 hour clock and if the offset is zero, well you get the point.
post #27452 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

AM or PM can be determined from FP if it has time or the 753.. display since it's a 24 hour clock and if the offset is zero, well you get the point.

Touche Joe...wink.gif
Got Sony back on Facebook too! Just can't see new post, only Sony's post..eek.gif
post #27453 of 29213
I have 1.2.21 and still have my channel lineup, but getting annoyed at getting the channel is not in the channel lineup when setting a record more than 7 days out. I have the clock set at the correct time even though it's 1 day behind.

If I downgrade the firmware back to 1.2.13, will I lose my channel lineup?
post #27454 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossie View Post

I have 1.2.21 and still have my channel lineup, but getting annoyed at getting the channel is not in the channel lineup when setting a record more than 7 days out. I have the clock set at the correct time even though it's 1 day behind.

If I downgrade the firmware back to 1.2.13, will I lose my channel lineup?

I would first try changing the channel up and down then go back to the channel you want to record and try it again. That worked for me. Also try recording on the SD channel and then stop the recording and go back to the HD channel your trying to set manually and try it again.
post #27455 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossie View Post

I have 1.2.21 and still have my channel lineup, but getting annoyed at getting the channel is not in the channel lineup when setting a record more than 7 days out. I have the clock set at the correct time even though it's 1 day behind.

If I downgrade the firmware back to 1.2.13, will I lose my channel lineup?

It's impossible to be 100% sure you won't. I've done it many times yet only lost it once. You will lose the network/call sign on the front panel.
post #27456 of 29213
mad.gif
Put me in the group that found a stability issue without the TVGOS data. I lost data on 2/21. Yesterday the remote seemed sluggish. This morning the white button gave me a blank screen and no DD indication. Clock stopped at the power on time.

So I pulled the plug. Now I play the clock games. This unit was running .13 already, so my call letters are now gone. Line up and "no listing" not affected.
post #27457 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

mad.gif
Put me in the group that found a stability issue without the TVGOS data. I lost data on 2/21. Yesterday the remote seemed sluggish. This morning the white button gave me a blank screen and no DD indication. Clock stopped at the power on time.

So I pulled the plug. Now I play the clock games. This unit was running .13 already, so my call letters are now gone. Line up and "no listing" not affected.

Well Joe, You can just set the DHG to be one hour behind since we are springing ahead an hour this Sunday......wink.gif
post #27458 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy900 View Post

Well Joe, You can just set the DHG to be one hour behind since we are springing ahead an hour this Sunday......wink.gif
I didn't lose my UTC offset or DST change date. Right now I'm plugged it to get the clock to a reasonable time before I shutdown again. My reset time is showing 1/1/90 also, not 1/1/04. Such is life.
post #27459 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I didn't lose my UTC offset or DST change date. Right now I'm plugged it to get the clock to a reasonable time before I shutdown again. My reset time is showing 1/1/90 also, not 1/1/04. Such is life.
You gotta admit it's a lot easier to set your recordings if you nail the time to the next hour instead of calculating in minutes....rolleyes.gif
Word of caution, when you cycle through the date time menu make sure the AM, PM are correct for that recording period...eek.gif
I had set my weekly recording of RAW and NCIS LA, and forgot to change the finish time from AM to PM. Woke up at 2AM and my recorder was still recording till 11:15AM!....
post #27460 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I didn't lose my UTC offset or DST change date. Right now I'm plugged it to get the clock to a reasonable time before I shutdown again. My reset time is showing 1/1/90 also, not 1/1/04. Such is life.

It is interesting that none of us in the "clock-adjusting club" seem to have the exact same situation/quirks. You have reset to a Monday, rather than Thursday, correct? I suppose you will avoid any fancy resets while you still have a grid and FP clock, though. Personally, I find having the wrong weekday/time more cumbersome than a lack of FP clock/grid.

Has anyone without a cableCard lost their grid, but still managed to set timer recordings manually?

- Kerry
post #27461 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy900 View Post

You gotta admit it's a lot easier to set your recordings if you nail the time to the next hour instead of calculating in minutes....rolleyes.gif
Word of caution, when you cycle through the date time menu make sure the AM, PM are correct for that recording period...eek.gif
I had set my weekly recording of RAW and NCIS LA, and forgot to change the finish time from AM to PM. Woke up at 2AM and my recorder was still recording till 11:15AM!....
I'll be careful. For the first several years I did only manual recordings since I have no cable card and all my channels were four decimal places. If you do discover a mistake, you can change the current recording's stop time while it is recording. I've done that more than once.
post #27462 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy900 View Post

Well Joe, You can just set the DHG to be one hour behind since we are springing ahead an hour this Sunday......wink.gif

Ah... crap. The fly in the ointment. So much for the smooth sledding. That was short lived.

Now I have to adjust all my weekly recordings to be off an hour next week...
post #27463 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleskier View Post

Ah... crap. The fly in the ointment. So much for the smooth sledding. That was short lived.

Now I have to adjust all my weekly recordings to be off an hour next week...
True if you have lost the clock change date. If so, remember it's only twice a year. It could be worse.
post #27464 of 29213
Dallas - Very interesting:

Got a TimeZonePkt; first one in over a month.

Now on NumSearch "6" and HostSUFlag went to 0xee8
post #27465 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryNY View Post

Has anyone:
[A] without a cableCard
[B] lost their grid,
[C] but still managed to set timer recordings manually?

- Kerry

 

 

[A] Yes.

[B] Yes.

[C] Yes.

 

 

biggrin.gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

post #27466 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryNY View Post


Has anyone without a cableCard
lost their grid
but still managed to set timer recordings manually?

- Kerry
Fur sure.
Perhaps the wording "timer recordings manually" was confusing when I first read it.
As for "grid", I guess you mean a black screen without channels or listings, or channels without listings, or a channels not shown on the guide but tunes manually since it's in the Sony's channels list.

Just noticed that if I hit guide, then enter 107.2, then tune channel, I get "not in channel" error with .21 firmware. I can still go to that channel, and with .13 firmware set a manual recording if it's a valid channel with video.
Edited by JoeKustra - 3/5/13 at 2:25pm
post #27467 of 29213
My Mag MDR513H/F7 clock constantly drifts forward, about a minute every 2 weeks! In comparison my DHG seems stable to about 5 seconds a month or was it 2 months..rolleyes.gif. The only time I have clock issues is when the unit becomes unresponsive to commands or a power failure! They sure made them better back then...mad.gif
post #27468 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy900 View Post

My Mag MDR513H/F7 clock constantly drifts forward, about a minute every 2 weeks! In comparison my DHG seems stable to about 5 seconds a month or was it 2 months..rolleyes.gif. The only time I have clock issues is when the unit becomes unresponsive to commands or a power failure! They sure made them better back then...mad.gif
You can slow it down with a capacitor across the crystal. Check the forum. And my 515H is on a UPS too.
Edited by JoeKustra - 3/5/13 at 5:16pm
post #27469 of 29213
frown.gif With no guide and Sony's apparent abandonment of us users, I think I'm set to go the HTPC route (OTA/Clear QAM) - with a mini-PC and Win7 WMC. As much as I love the DHG, the messed-up times, no guide, an old-generation tuner that can't handle strong OTA multipath - it's time to relegate it to backup recording duty. The wife doesn't want to give the cable-co another penny, and I concur. HTPC won't be cheap - but it will be flexible and controllable. WMC with its 3rd party plugins will give me close to the same flexibility as the DHG, perhaps more. If the cable-co ever gets rid of clear QAM, it will be the shove I'll need to cancel cable altogether (we already have a Boxee). If WMC ever becomes obsolete, I can always turn the mini-PC into a "DXing" machine.

P.S. - Looking online at the cable-co PVR manual...I was sickened to see the Rovi name attached to the guide. That alone made me want to turn the other way and run.
Edited by cxgy - 3/5/13 at 5:18pm
post #27470 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxgy View Post

frown.gif With no guide and Sony's apparent abandonment of us users, I think I'm set to go the HTPC route (OTA/Clear QAM) - with a mini-PC and Win7 WMC. As much as I love the DHG, the messed-up times, no guide, an old-generation tuner that can't handle strong OTA multipath - it's time to relegate it to backup recording duty. The wife doesn't want to give the cable-co another penny, and I concur. HTPC won't be cheap - but it will be flexible and controllable. WMC with its 3rd party plugins will give me close to the same flexibility as the DHG, perhaps more. If the cable-co ever gets rid of clear QAM, it will be the shove I'll need to cancel cable altogether (we already have a Boxee). If WMC ever becomes obsolete, I can always turn the mini-PC into a "DXing" machine.

P.S. - Looking online at the cable-co PVR manual...I was sickened to see the Rovi name attached to the guide. That alone made me want to turn the other way and run.

Windows Media Center in 7 uses rovi for their guide data provider. We are in the process of clearing old "unknown" programs off our dhg250. I attached a 3tb external drive to my server in the basement - together with the hd homerun box, I have close to 400 hours of HD storage available to me. And I can record two shows at the same time from any windows 7 box on our network. It works best on a wired network, although I was able to record a show on my wife's ultrabook over the wireless network. That program over the wireless had some macroblocking artifacts.The segate 3tb drive was on sale at newegg for $119, and the hd homerun was $59 also on sale at newegg. I am OTA only, and the picture quality from the Sony tuner is slightly better than the silicon dust box, but the user interface, the speed of the guide in Windows Media Center, and the ability to add storage makes up for the loss of the dhg functionality. Not having to pay every month to watch television is an added bonus.

Seagate Expansion 3TB USB 3.0 Black Desktop Hard Drive STBV3000100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178117

HDHomeRun DUAL - High Definition Digital TV Tuner (Network Attached) HDHR3-US (Black) by SiliconDust
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345007
http://www.silicondust.com/products/models/hdhr3-us/
post #27471 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofHD View Post

I would first try changing the channel up and down then go back to the channel you want to record and try it again. That worked for me. Also try recording on the SD channel and then stop the recording and go back to the HD channel your trying to set manually and try it again.

In the setup I changed the tune to channel from the HD channel to the SD station, then tuned to the SD station, then manually set the recording and changed the channel there in the edit recording box over to the HD channel I wanted, and it takes it. Hopefully it will record it.
post #27472 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

mad.gif
Put me in the group that found a stability issue without the TVGOS data. I lost data on 2/21. Yesterday the remote seemed sluggish. This morning the white button gave me a blank screen and no DD indication. Clock stopped at the power on time.

So I pulled the plug. Now I play the clock games. This unit was running .13 already, so my call letters are now gone. Line up and "no listing" not affected.
Is your zip code 00000 or is your unit on 24/7? (IOW is it blocked from trying to find a host?)
post #27473 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwpottberg View Post

Is your zip code 00000 or is your unit on 24/7? (IOW is it blocked from trying to find a host?)

The bottom line is if you do not have a grid, and you do not want the DHG to shut down on schedule to look for data, you should have the auto off set to off and the zip to 00000. I am doing that now because I do not have a grid now and there has been reported instabilities in the DHG after the data stream was pulled by ROVI.mad.gif Just remember not to hit the Guide button on the DHG or it will go to the setup screen, use the menu button instead! A word to the wise, if you are now doing manual recordings for daily, weekly or once, you should program all your recordings before the recording time arrives! Lest you find the dreaded channel not in lineup notice.....eek.gif This is really important! Don't procrastinate and wait till the recording time arrives to record a program! Get your program guide from Titan online or other sites offering a program guide for your area!....rolleyes.gif You are going to have issues trying to get the channel to take the recording, it is not always Smooth Sledding!...rolleyes.gif
post #27474 of 29213
Good new! The Sony Facebook page is back up! Including the part that allows us to view recent post by Sony customers! I read the recent post and was lead to the Sony Community site, read the post and got this for all of you that do not have smart phones follow the link below1....smile.gif


Keep_it_alive
Occasional Contributor
Keep_it_alive
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎11-29-2012
Re: dhg-hdd250/dhg-hdd500 Sony DVR's
Options
yesterday
Although the recording start / end time calculator is far from an acceptable solution to the loss of clock-setting ability, it does at least allow for programming the machine like a VCR.
So, for those of us who don't have Android devices, I've developed a web version of the calculator. Click Here for the online calculator. http://steveroess.com/Enter%20DVR%20Dates.php
Sony should still work on a way to set the clock automatically.
post #27475 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

As for "grid", I guess you mean a black screen without channels or listings, or channels without listings, or a channels not shown on the guide but tunes manually since it's in the Sony's channels list.

Just noticed that if I hit guide, then enter 107.2, then tune channel, I get "not in channel" error with .21 firmware. I can still go to that channel, and with .13 firmware set a manual recording if it's a valid channel with video.

So, does that mean that the loss of a "lineup" or "grid" is of really no consequence to anyone w/o Rovi data, whether on cable or OTA? If so, there is no reason to fear warm resets, or for anyone to resort to channel-switching tricks to avoid the "not in lineup" error, because the .13 firmware will get rid of that once and for all.

We seem to be overly concerned with saving someone's grid or the last automatic clockset, when it's pretty easy to step back to .13 firmware in order to move forward. smile.gif

- Kerry
post #27476 of 29213
I kinda like to see the channel I'm watching, getting up there in age..wink.gif I will stick with .21, use 00000 as the zip and auto off set to off. This should address the buggy issues reported after the loss of TVGOS data and I like to at least have the channel name showing that I am watching...rolleyes.gif
post #27477 of 29213
Hey Joe, Correct me if I am wrong! on March 10 (DHG internal Date not real date) of my DHG the unit will go forward an hour for DST? Cause I'm fixin to adjust the clock for tomorrow to be ahead an hour! But I know that the internal date is FEB 28 and will have to adjust again. I am off by an hour now.
post #27478 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy900 View Post

Hey Joe, Correct me if I am wrong! on March 10 (DHG internal Date not real date) of my DHG the unit will go forward an hour for DST? Cause I'm fixin to adjust the clock for tomorrow to be ahead an hour! But I know that the internal date is FEB 28 and will have to adjust again. I am off by an hour now.
If it shows next DST as 3/10 then it better move at (what it feels is) 2am local time. That's why I'm not bothering to set a clock until Sunday morning. I don't have a clue what or when the change will happen if your year is 1990 or 2004 or if it matters.
post #27479 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy900 View Post

Hey Joe, Correct me if I am wrong! on March 10 (DHG internal Date not real date) of my DHG the unit will go forward an hour for DST? Cause I'm fixin to adjust the clock for tomorrow to be ahead an hour! But I know that the internal date is FEB 28 and will have to adjust again. I am off by an hour now.

DST goes into effect on March 10th. Your DHG thinks it is February 28th? Then it won't sail forward an hour until IT thinks it's March 10th. smile.gif
post #27480 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryNY View Post

So, does that mean that the loss of a "lineup" or "grid" is of really no consequence to anyone w/o Rovi data, whether on cable or OTA? If so, there is no reason to fear warm resets, or for anyone to resort to channel-switching tricks to avoid the "not in lineup" error, because the .13 firmware will get rid of that once and for all.

We seem to be overly concerned with saving someone's grid or the last automatic clockset, when it's pretty easy to step back to .13 firmware in order to move forward. smile.gif

- Kerry
The DHG is a "state" machine in many ways. Just a few minutes ago I took my test machine with a full lineup from .21 to .13. This machine was:
receiving TVGOS data from tape (legacy data)
Host channel set
Clock channel set

I did not lose my channels. I did lose the FP channel name but not the number. And if you haven't played with Favorites, you can always make Favorite called NBC, ABC, etc. until you hit an unknown limit. I always used News, HD, Basic Cable as my catagories. If you have channel logos they show in Favorites.

I can't understand the clock or lineup obsession either. It's nice but not essential.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread