or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 925

post #27721 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24 View Post

But when I restart the DVR (either by unplugging or using the 147412356 reset), I don't lose the date (it comes up with the last date it had while "running") - and the time always comes up at 5:00 PM...
 
Originally Posted by KerryNY View Post

That sounds very strange to me. The 147412356 warm reset never reboots my DHG... it just resets the date and time, and then closes the menu by itself. Although setting to 5:00 PM would be more convenient than 12:00 AM, my main use for that code is to set the date back to 01/01/04, and that doesn't work for you. (you do enter the code when "Change system settings" is highlighted, right?)

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I lost my patches and FP clock during major crashes and other resets prior to using the warm reset...

 

Indeed.  The 147 412 356 code resets the Menu Clock and Date back to 1/1/2004, 12am Thursday...   IF you do not have any TVGOS Patches.   The 653 274 147 code reset strips the Patches.  No Front Panel Clock, also.    The Reset User Configuration would probably or should do the same, I suppose.  I do not know, as I did the 653 reset first, and away went the Guide Patches and the FPC. 

 

At least this is how it worked on my 250.

 

 

 

 

 

 - Pj,  Slickedly Slidingly Smoothedly. 

post #27722 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post

At least this is how it worked on my 250.
This is no FP clock: --:--

Any time shown, right or wrong, is a FP clock. After some operations the --:-- displays until you hit the white button or the remote's power. Losing power can cause no FP clock, but it displays if there is a channel number showing. Agreed?
post #27723 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post


This is no FP clock: --:--
 

Yes, I have, and only have a --:-- since the 653 Guide Reset.   I have not had any FP clock time, accurate or otherwise since that reset. 

 

 

 

 

           .

       ...  ...    ...  ...

           .

 

 

 

.

post #27724 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post

Yes, I have, and only have a --:-- since the 653 Guide Reset.   I have not had any FP clock time, accurate or otherwise since that reset. 
That's probably unique. But lately unique is starting to sound normal.
post #27725 of 29213
Thanks for this info about clock adjustment and using the .13 firmware .. this is helpful..I have a somewhat useable HD DVR

$2.00 a month no TV Guide but records... that is ok.. cool Rivo should make the equipmebt sellable to the Public ..I bet someone would take up maintaining this..
post #27726 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post


That's probably unique. But lately unique is starting to sound normal.

Unique?  Not so.  Many on this thread do not have any clock time on the FP.   Just this:  --:--  .

 

This is why some do not want to reset yet.  They have a clock, with or without a working TVGOS.  Do one of the 'hard' resets and you will lose the FP clock

if one does not have TVGOS and/or lost the Guide Patches.

 

They may be hanging on now... but when their TVGOS quits, it is just a matter of TIME (HA!) that the --:-- will catch up to them when a certain reset/lockup happens.  biggrin.gif

post #27727 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24 View Post

But when I restart the DVR (either by unplugging or using the 147412356 reset), I don't lose the date (it comes up with the last date it had while "running") - and the time always comes up at 5:00 PM (if the DVR thinks its earlier than 5:00PM, it will go to 5:00 PM for the previous day). So it's pretty easy for me to set the time, although for the day-of-week it's trickier. Also, the 147 restart doesn't always reboot the DVR - only sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryNY View Post

That sounds very strange to me. The 147412356 warm reset never reboots my DHG... it just resets the date and time, and then closes the menu by itself. Although setting to 5:00 PM would be more convenient than 12:00 AM, my main use for that code is to set the date back to 01/01/04, and that doesn't work for you. (you do enter the code when "Change system settings" is highlighted, right?)

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I lost my patches and FP clock during major crashes and other resets prior to using the warm reset. Can anyone else weigh-in on this? Has anyone else used 147412356, and not had the date change?

- Kerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post

Indeed.  The 147 412 356 code resets the Menu Clock and Date back to 1/1/2004, 12am Thursday...   IF you do not have any TVGOS Patches.   The 653 274 147 code reset strips the Patches.  No Front Panel Clock, also.    The Reset User Configuration would probably or should do the same, I suppose.  I do not know, as I did the 653 reset first, and away went the Guide Patches and the FPC. 

At least this is how it worked on my 250.


 - Pj,  Slickedly Slidingly Smoothedly. 

I can verify that using the "Reset User Configuration" in the TVGOS setup menu dumps the TVGOS patches and sets the date back to 1/1/2004 as that's what I stumbled into when I first lost TVGOS in KC in November 2012. I posted the following back on 11/24/12:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smf_sony View Post

An interesting observation: I lost TVGOS at the beginning of November and before I had checked this thread to find that TVGOS had gone away, I performed a TVGOS reset on my HD250 and lost the clock and the empty grid. Since then I have been performing manual recordings but the dates were in January of 2004. Just two days ago, my 250 had locked up while I was fast forwarding while recording and had to have the power pulled to recover. I lost the clock again but even without TVGOS I see that the front panel clock is now displaying time that is 6 hrs and 16 minutes ahead of local time. But the strange thing is that the internal clock now has the correct date showing 11/24/12. My HD250 is running software version 1.2.21.

And from 2/13/13:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smf_sony View Post

Just by accident, the last time I pulled the plug was on Thursday Jan 10, 2013 and my system reset to 1/1/2004. My current system date is 2/4/2004 Wednesday which corresponds to today's date of Wednesday 2/13/2013. Thus my manual recording schedule is correct day for day Monday through Friday and Saturday and Sunday.

I had a power failure 3/13/13 early AM. and when I powered the unit back on on later that morning My DHG internal time was 3/3/04 at 4:59 am. I used DHG-SonyTime.xls to re-calculate my recording times and reset them all successfully: 18:30 (6:30 CDT Wheel of Fortune) came out as 12:15pm Sony time.

No idea why the date was not reset to 1/1/2004 with the power loss. It may have been just a short blip enough to set the microwave clock blinking --:-- and my Panasonic DMR EZ28 to flashing 12:00 (last setup was set to "manual" clock set).

Prior to the power blip the record time for 18:30 was 07:21 pm
post #27728 of 29213

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smf_sony View Post




...I used DHG-SonyTime.xls to re-calculate my recording times and reset them all successfully...
 

 

 

That is cool for anyone wanting to use the time calculator and/or do plug-pulling (stressing the DHG), but for me, I have to have the correct time and day-of-week.  It helps when viewing the list of Unknowns to know what recorded just by seeing the correct time and the early-to-mid Jan dates of 2004.    wink.gif

post #27729 of 29213
I've heard a lot of you mention the no FP clock. I've got cable/cable card (only) and I've done numerous resets (only power via power chord) and I still have a grid, clock, FP clock and channel logos.
post #27730 of 29213

smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkstur View Post

I've heard a lot of you mention the no FP clock. I've got cable/cable card (only) and I've done numerous resets (only power via power chord) and I still have a grid, clock, FP clock and channel logos.

Do you have TVGOS data still incoming?  If so, then you will have the FPC. 

 

If not, let me help you out so you too, can join the...

 

NO FP Clock Club! 

--:--

 

 

 

 

It is FREE! 

 

 

 

 

Yes, I said it is FREE to join. 

 

Just send $39 for process and handling.  biggrin.gif

 

 

 

 

Start by doing the one of the following:

 

  a) With the remote, press the [REC List] button to enter the TVGOS system.
  b) Navigate to the left to highlight [SETUP] on the [Service Bar]. 
  c) Navigate down to highlight [Change System Settings].  (Do NOT Press Select or Enter.) 
  d) Enter the following 9-digit codes (do not include spaces):

 

   653 274 147  TVGOS System Reset (Also Deletes Guide Software Patches)

 

   or...
 
   Press the following sequence of keys on the Remote Control:

 

    [MENU]     [SCREEN MODE]     9 0 1 2


   Select and go into, "TV Guide".   "Reset to Factory Defaults" is highlighted.  Activate it. 
   This will return the TVGOS system to factory defaults.  Warning: There is no warning before
   doing this reset.  Selecting this option immediately performs this reset.  

 

   “Make it so”, says Captain Picard.

 

 

The above will delete any Guide Patches. 

 

Welcome to the Club! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...

post #27731 of 29213
I just came home from a ski weekend, to find my smooth sailing has suddenly turned into tough sledding, faster than I expected.

I swear I had already edited the schedule last week, but my SNL recording missed the 1:30 am shutoff a second time, so recorded until 1:30pm (14 hrs).

I came home at 6pm. My front panel had "-- --" instead of a clock. We did not lose power - so I was perplexed.

I turned the unit on. Suddenly the clock changes to 1:35pm, and the RECORD light comes on. The DHG felt it was still recording SNL, despite being past the cutoff time of its own clock (was 1:35pm when should have shutoff at 1:30pm, when the real wall clock was 6:30pm).

So it appears that the DHG had a freeze up - and rebooted itself - and thus I lost my perfect clock in a way I did not expect. It was not a power outage that got me - but a hang with reset.

I now have to re-edit all my recordings to adjust the time for being 5 hours behind.

So it begins.

Sony - where is the simple clock fix!?!?!
post #27732 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkstur View Post

I've heard a lot of you mention the no FP clock. I've got cable/cable card (only) and I've done numerous resets (only power via power chord) and I still have a grid, clock, FP clock and channel logos.

Yes, just like CleCakYngMfd, I performed more destructive resets before trying the warm reset. Now it makes more sense why that works for us, and not for some others. BUT, there is also the 653214741 ("cold reset") option. I think Mark said he did not see much difference between the two, but maybe that will reset the date for people who still have a FP clock and patches. On the other hand, it might just destroy them in one easy step. ;^)

It's too late for me to test it, but some brave soul should do it. If it sets the date w/o screwing up the FP clock, it would be a great solution for many people.

- Kerry
post #27733 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post

smile.gif
   This will return the TVGOS system to factory defaults.  Warning: There is no warning before

   doing this reset.  Selecting this option immediately performs this reset.  [/SIZE]
 
   “Make it so”, says Captain Picard.
 
 
The above will delete any Guide Patches. 

Welcome to the Club! 

No, I haven't had TVGOS since November. And I think I'll pass on your club. Thanks anyway.











...
post #27734 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryNY View Post


I performed the more destructive resets... BUT, there is also the 653214741 ("cold reset") option. I think Mark said he did not see much difference between the two...
 

 

The  653 214 741 reset will retain the Grid, Listings, and perhaps the Scheduled Recordings.   I have not used it, so I do not know what it would do on my DHG.

 

Woops!   Sailing Alert!   

 

The sails are down.  I just had an encounter with twin-date recordings.  One played, the other would not.  I had others that each played and deleted OK.   I know at first, I had twin-date recordings with this problem, but the one recording was before I deleted the Guide Patches.   So, I am stumped why this is showing up with some twins and not others.

 

I think WS shot down my sails and remotely hacked my DHG!  biggrin.gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...


Edited by CleCakYngMfd - 3/17/13 at 10:13pm
post #27735 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post

smile.gif
Do you have TVGOS data still incoming?  If so, then you will have the FPC. 
Welcome to the Club! 

Been there, done that. Still have FPC. You give refunds, right?

Since there is no bit or flag known to cause the FP clock or call letters to function or not function, it's not personal.
post #27736 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleskier View Post

I just came home from a ski weekend, to find my smooth sailing has suddenly turned into tough sledding, faster than I expected.

I swear I had already edited the schedule last week, but my SNL recording missed the 1:30 am shutoff a second time, so recorded until 1:30pm (14 hrs).
So it begins.

Sony - where is the simple clock fix!?!?!
WAG here: have you disabled the automatic shutdown?

What's the last two or three codes in the reset log? I have found these:
0x7000 - power cycle
0x110 - 147... reset
0x9004 - 653... reset
0x102 - a TVGOS patch applied
0x800A - 147... reset with reboot
0x8013 - 9012 TVGOS reset (not sure yet)
Those codes have a date of 1/1/90 if there is no TVGOS data during the boot/reboot process.
Edited by JoeKustra - 3/18/13 at 3:22pm
post #27737 of 29213
The crazies sound terrible.

I may hook up the Artec to see if I can get a correct November DST date. I have no idea if I will be able to get around to it, before the inserter goes away.

Date and Clock are still ok for now; but I know it will all be very short lived.

Currently the TiVo covers about 95% of the recording “needs” and we only use the Sony for the 3rd channel record about once a week. I could have used a 4th a couple of times but those were not really “must haves”.

Honestly, I do not think I will spend the time everyone else is attempting to keep the Sony alive………………um well maybe next year? LOL The Sony project is number 6,492 on my list of things to do, so it is a little low on the list(s).

Side Note: The last updated Grid in my Sony Box was the first of February. Now "key drops" are increasing. So far it has not affected the major stations in the grid and link to the tuner, only minor channels that I have no interest in. Because TVGOS data no longer flows, it is unlikely "key drops" would be resolved with the attachment of the Artec; but the DST issue might be.
Edited by HoustonPerson - 3/18/13 at 6:05am
post #27738 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

The crazies sound terrible.

I may hook up the Artec to see if I can get a correct November DST date. I have no idea if I will be able to get around to it, before the inserter goes away.

Date and Clock are still ok for now; but I know it will all be very short lived.

Currently the TiVo covers about 95% of the recording “needs” and we only use the Sony for the 3rd channel record about once a week. I could have used a 4th a couple of times but those were not really “must haves”.

Honestly, I do not think I will spend the time everyone else is attempting to keep the Sony alive………………um well maybe next year? LOL The Sony project is number 6,492 on my list of things to do, so it is a little low on the list(s).

Side Note: The last updated Grid in my Sony Box was the first of February. Now "key drops" are increasing. So far it has not affected the major stations in the grid and link to the tuner, only minor channels that I have no interest in. Because TVGOS data no longer flows, it is unlikely "key drops" would be resolved with the attachment of the Artec; but the DST issue might be.
I don't know what I will do in the future either. Right now I'm just playing. I wonder what the DHG is going to do when DST change date is in the past. For those "must haves" that don't fit in the TiVo (Mondays) I use the Mag on ABC or Fox. That will last as long as I have digital QAM for basic cable. There is still a lot of SD content riding on HD channels.
post #27739 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

Honestly, I do not think I will spend the time everyone else is attempting to keep the Sony alive………………um well maybe next year?

I can understand that, especially when it isn't your main/only DVR. But it really isn't bad — once you give up on saving a "grid", FP clock, automatic DST, etc. Once free of those, the maintenance is pretty low. I spend much more time reading and writing in this forum than I spend actually tweaking the DHG. (that wasn't the case when I had the "not in lineup" error, though!)

While we are still learning, and the process is evolving, it currently looks like the following formula produces a nice manually-programmable DHG:

  1. Major reset (choose your flavor at this point)
  2. Load the .13 firmware.
  3. Warm reset (147412356) on Wednesday night (a few seconds before midnight Thursday, if possible, or do it early and adjust the time later by pulling the plug)
  4. When the clock is thrown off by a crash, power outage or DST change, repeat step #3 as necessary.

All this just takes an hour or two the first time; once you commit to it. Grasping at straws is a very natural reaction that all of us have, and it does makes sense for most people to wait for the dust to settle, and see what works for whom. But once you let go, you can still have a very good recorder.

- Kerry
post #27740 of 29213
Just an update from the San Antonio area...sometime on Wed. 6th received the "No Listings!"...on thurs. receive notice from CBS affiliate KENS-TV that they are removing hardware by Friday, March 29. I am still getting the clock...I will start experimenting after the 29th...

In thinking about the clock issue, I recall when VCR's were the norm but a lot of consumers complained about how tedious programming a recording was. I recall various "timers" that would schedule recordings very easily...wondering if any of these devices would work on the Sony. Perhaps someone can chime in if this is even possible...
post #27741 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiorick View Post

In thinking about the clock issue, I recall when VCR's were the norm but a lot of consumers complained about how tedious programming a recording was. I recall various "timers" that would schedule recordings very easily...wondering if any of these devices would work on the Sony. Perhaps someone can chime in if this is even possible...
I still have two of those "timers" that I used extensively back in the VCR days and it was called the One For All VCR PRO. However even if one was able to get it to work with the DHG-HDD250/500 according to the following thread it succumbed to a y2k bug and was never fixed so we would be right back where we started frown.gif

I will dig them out and check them out just the same. If it did work I think it would be an acceptable solution at least for me. If I recall how they work the DHG-HDD250/500 would need to accept a discrete IR code to tune to a channel as well as start and stop a recording.
post #27742 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrach View Post

... but has anyone thought about just taking them to small claims court? I know they tried to protect themselves with EULA language but I don't think they could convince a judge that that protects them from breaking the device with no repercussions. Ultimately the responsibility is with the manufacturer, not a third party supplier. Just flying a lawyer into the jurisdiction where the claims are filed would cost them more than the typical payout. Who knows, they might just send you a check. I'm thinking about it.

I spoke to a friend who is an attorney, but not in this area of law. The problem is that small claims court wouldn't have jurisdiction over Sony since they don't have offices in the state (this may not be a problem if you live in CA, NY, or NJ: US headquarters are in CA and they used to have offices in NY and NJ, but I don't know if they still do). I need to check the court's Web site in my area to confirm this.

That's why a class action is more appropriate here.
post #27743 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiorick View Post

Just an update from the San Antonio area...sometime on Wed. 6th received the "No Listings!"...on thurs. receive notice from CBS affiliate KENS-TV that they are removing hardware by Friday, March 29. I am still getting the clock...I will start experimenting after the 29th...

In thinking about the clock issue, I recall when VCR's were the norm but a lot of consumers complained about how tedious programming a recording was. I recall various "timers" that would schedule recordings very easily...wondering if any of these devices would work on the Sony. Perhaps someone can chime in if this is even possible...
I'm sure you mean well, but there are many ideas since 1/11/12 and nothing "easy" is one of them. Best suggestion, should you wish to continue using the DHG, is to skim the various 2500 posts since then and decide if you find one you like. I still use mine a little but as the days get warmer (or should be) I wonder if it's worth the effort. Right now I have a VCR feeding TVGOS into one of my units since the one I'm recording with is getting very unstable.
post #27744 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post

smile.gif

NO FP Clock Club!
[MENU]     [SCREEN MODE]     9 0 1 2 - "Factory Restore"
Welcome to the Club!

A full Sony factory restore does kill the FP clock, sets the date to 1/1/04 and loses all Sony firmware updates and TVGOS patches. I just tried it. All other user configuration, lineup, etc. also gone. The format of the HDD also clears the reset log.

So what's the secret handshake? wink.gif
post #27745 of 29213
I noticed that my machine will sometimes make a clicking noise, I have read on here that someone said it may be because of analog channels? I use a cable card but I use to have an outside antenna when we use to rely on analog so my machine is scanned for analog channels. Since TV guide no longer exist I removed the outside antenna (I should have removed it long ago since we went to digital host)

So how do I remove all the channels picked up by the antenna scan I did long ago? When I go into menu preferences ch +- list , do I have to manually uncheck each OTA channel and will that remove the clicking I hear every so often?
post #27746 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofHD View Post

I noticed that my machine will sometimes make a clicking noise, I have read on here that someone said it may be because of analog channels? I use a cable card but I use to have an outside antenna when we use to rely on analog so my machine is scanned for analog channels. Since TV guide no longer exist I removed the outside antenna (I should have removed it long ago since we went to digital host)

So how do I remove all the channels picked up by the antenna scan I did long ago? When I go into menu preferences ch +- list , do I have to manually uncheck each OTA channel and will that remove the clicking I hear every so often?
I assume you only receive cable channels? Then you have two choices. Set your zipcode to 00000, or do what people that have a cable card do to stop that OTA search. I don't have a cable card. I would scan cable only but I think the cable card doesn't do that. I could be wrong. There are several cable card users here who will help.

Turning off the channels doesn't stop a host search.
post #27747 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

So what's the secret handshake? wink.gif

Welcome, Joe! smile.gif

It will be good to see another configuration being tested: Factory restore, and cable with no card. Did you install the .13 firmware again, or was that unaffected? Will you try a warm reset on Wednesday night, or are you just going to use your tapes on this machine, too?

- Kerry
post #27748 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryNY View Post

Welcome, Joe! smile.gif

It will be good to see another configuration being tested: Factory restore, and cable with no card. Did you install the .13 firmware again, or was that unaffected? Will you try a warm reset on Wednesday night, or are you just going to use your tapes on this machine, too?

- Kerry
Sorry Kerry, but I done this so many times that after I get the "fixed sector" message I load .21 firmware. This avoids using 9012 to get the patches applied. I could have left it at 1.2.06 anyhow since with tapes DST transition isn't a big deal. I sort of have a mantra I follow including locking the listings, arranging the old analog channels, killing the 1am power off and a few others that escape me right now. I will map HD Fox and CBS to their vsb channels. Since I'm making post-DST tapes now a few miles away I may test them also.

I will leave the .21 installed since after mapping the HD channels they are on my lineup and I don't get an error. I still get get legacy data, either here or over the hill, so the VBI G* test still works. I'm afraid to email my headend to see if they are going to reinstall my inserter. They might say no.

As for Wednesday night, that isn't needed. I make one tape that contains 10pm to midnight Sunday, then 12pm to 12:30pm Mon-Sat. With FF & REW I can set the clock right on any day of the week.
post #27749 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofHD View Post

I noticed that my machine will sometimes make a clicking noise, I have read on here that someone said it may be because of analog channels? I use a cable card but I use to have an outside antenna when we use to rely on analog so my machine is scanned for analog channels. Since TV guide no longer exist I removed the outside antenna (I should have removed it long ago since we went to digital host)

So how do I remove all the channels picked up by the antenna scan I did long ago? When I go into menu preferences ch +- list , do I have to manually uncheck each OTA channel and will that remove the clicking I hear every so often?

It seems to have stopped for me after I went back to the TV Guide setup screen and said no to Antenna search setup, with the zipcode set to 00000 and firmware now at .13 I don't seem to hear any clicking anymore...rolleyes.gif I am hoping this will stabilize the DHG without the constant switching from Cable to Antenna, and it seems to be working...rolleyes.gif
Edited by izzy900 - 3/19/13 at 3:05pm
post #27750 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

As for Wednesday night, that isn't needed. I make one tape that contains 10pm to midnight Sunday, then 12pm to 12:30pm Mon-Sat. With FF & REW I can set the clock right on any day of the week.

I'm very jealous! wink.gif

- Kerry
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread