or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 939

post #28141 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy900 View Post

All I have is Edit post and report post to Moderator no delete..eek.gif
Using .13 firmware .21 Channel not in lineup was a pain...eek.gif

WS is being cruel/funny again.

I can restore my analog channel lineup and then map my HD channels to their analog equivalent. So I don't need to record the clear QAM channels directly and therefore don't need the .13 firmware anymore. My SD channels are 4 decimal points so I can't map them or record them directly. When you pulled the cable card you lost your channel lineup.

 

I found that both my old Mitsubishi VCRs preserve the VBI when playing via rf. I'm going to see if I can duplicate a tape next week.

post #28142 of 29213
Has any one here tried hacking into a DHG using a tablet (not an iPad )? cool.gif Since most use an interface with a male Type 'A' USB charger connector.
post #28143 of 29213
Good ideas and input. Never checked my memory allocation, would be curious to see that. OK, just checked, Allocated block count matches exactly the Used block count (both 0x9CA). Free blocks are 0x23. No errors or leaks. Item count = 273, Valid count = 267, Deleted = 6. What do NoPath=6 and BadDev=6 signify?

All of my lockups have happened in 90x speed, my usual. I disabled 3x and 30x since I never used it and found the four speed key click progression too slow for me, when I mostly use 90x or 9x when 'going slow'. I'll also throw some 30-sec advances into the mix as well. I probably wouldn't have as many lockups if I could be patient and just simply 'go slow' at 9x through the commercials, but that's not in my nature. smile.gif

So how do you get the current DHG date and time to be displayed?

I get the time from the Rec_List window, and can only see the current date when I go to create a new manual recording. I'm sure there must be a better way. You'd think the System menu would contain that info, but it does not.

So it turns out that my 5-minute lockup set the clock back 27:24:21 behind the real time - it lost a whole day on top of it all. You don't notice that by only seeing the FP and Rec_List clock. I had to re-edit all my recordings. Again. Sigh.

Lots of initial cursing, but the edits went faster than I feared. My brain adjusted to everything in the schedule being off one day behind. DHG lives for yet another day.

I feel like the machine is being wise by breaking me in slowly to the pain of post-TVGOS, first set him back two hours, then when he's handled that, set him back one whole day, then....
Edited by teleskier - 4/12/13 at 11:01pm
post #28144 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleskier View Post

So how do you get the current DHG date and time to be displayed?

I get the time from the Rec_List window, and can only see the current date when I go to create a new manual recording. I'm sure there must be a better way. You'd think the System menu would contain that info, but it does not.

I feel like the machine is being wise by breaking me in slowly to the pain of post-TVGOS, first set him back two hours, then when he's handled that, set him back one whole day, then....

The fastest way to display the date is holding down the record button for 5 seconds until the manual recording screen shows. The exact TVGOS time is still up there in the little box. Internally with the 753... screens the time is shown as GMT. The local time is computed by including the clock offset (clocks1 screen) which is always -18000 for the east coast. The correction for DST is appplied also and not part of the offset.

 

For some reason the time stamp of a recording can change. I have three old shows made before I lost TVGOS and their time has changed from 9pm to 3pm. I keep them to check if my drive has been formatted.

 

Good Luck.

post #28145 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Yes. I had 3 cards in my DHG's and 1 card in a Mits TV. When I got the TiVo's I just moved the three cards from the DHG's to the TiVo's. I was expecting to have to call Charter, but everything "just worked" so all I did with Charter was go to the office to pick up SDV adapters. I did have to call Charter to activate those, as they must be paired to a specific CableCard. I often move the card from the Mits TV back to one of the DHG's for a while. It's all plug-n-play in my situation. My cards are Motorola "M" cards.

My experience when I had CC's in one of the DHG units was that the DHG was more stable with a "single stream" cablecard. You will have to be specific when asking for it as the "normal" card is the two - stream version. This is not surprising as the DHG was designed at the same time.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the device and CC must be paired by the Cable company. I had to call in the numbers on my Tivo and Sony, and had a discussion with the tech rep about the numbers on the sony. He'd only heard the tivo numbers, so was confused when I read him other numbers. You can't pull the CC from device a and just put it into device b.
post #28146 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlaw View Post

Also, I'm pretty sure that the device and CC must be paired by the Cable company. I had to call in the numbers on my Tivo and Sony, and had a discussion with the tech rep about the numbers on the sony. He'd only heard the tivo numbers, so was confused when I read him other numbers.

In my case that Charter Guy came to my house. This was before the CableCo's began allowing "self-install" of CableCards. The Charter Guy called in numbers to the home office while he was here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlaw View Post

You can't pull the CC from device a and just put it into device b.

I only have experience with CableCards in my own house with my own equipment. I can swap the cards from Device-A to Device-B at will, and do it quite often. smile.gif
Again, the first time I did it I thought I was going to have to call Charter, but I was surprised to discover that it "just worked".
post #28147 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

I only have experience with CableCards in my own house with my own equipment. I can swap the cards from Device-A to Device-B at will, and do it quite often. smile.gif
Again, the first time I did it I thought I was going to have to call Charter, but I was surprised to discover that it "just worked".
Depends on how your provider does things. If they "hard-pair" the cards in their system, the card will be locked to that specific host. Some providers do that, but others do not. If they only "soft-pair" the cards, you can take the card out and put it into another host. Just because they record the host ID and/or pairing ID, doesn't necessarily guarantee they're hard-pairing the cards.
post #28148 of 29213

All cable is local. I may have posted that somewhere. smile.gif

post #28149 of 29213
post #28150 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotkar View Post

Has anyone here seen this post on the Sony Support Forum?
http://community.sony.com/t5/Other-Sony-Products/dhg-hdd250-dhg-hdd500-Sony-DVR-s/m-p/114607#M3293 confused.gif

Apparently San Diego still has their inserter installed. I think the reason he has to leave the DHG off for 5 hours is because he normally leaves it on all the time, and with it on, it would only set the clock if he were tuned to his TVGOS station. There is no magic here, if you don't have a TVGOS source, the clock cannot be set to the correct time & date. There are plenty of people out there who have been without a clock for at least several weeks, who can verify that the clock does not just set on its own.

Mark
post #28151 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

Apparently San Diego still has their inserter installed. I think the reason he has to leave the DHG off for 5 hours is because he normally leaves it on all the time, and with it on, it would only set the clock if he were tuned to his TVGOS station. There is no magic here, if you don't have a TVGOS source, the clock cannot be set to the correct time & date. There are plenty of people out there who have been without a clock for at least several weeks, who can verify that the clock does not just set on its own.

Mark

Although Rovi's doomsday message said "North America", I wonder if they forgot about XETV in Tijuana?
post #28152 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post


Although Rovi's doomsday message said "North America", I wonder if they forgot about XETV in Tijuana?

Interesting. Can you still receive their analog channel 6?

post #28153 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Interesting. Can you still receive their analog channel 6?

I'm too far from San Diego/Tijuana to get any stations from there. However, I just checked the schedule for analog shutdown in Mexico and Tijuana is supposed to go dark tomorrow. So those folks still getting time signals are likely getting them from analog 6.
post #28154 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post


I'm too far from San Diego/Tijuana to get any stations from there. However, I just checked the schedule for analog shutdown in Mexico and Tijuana is supposed to go dark tomorrow. So those folks still getting time signals are likely getting them from analog 6.

Thanks for checking.

 

I just came back from my mother's house where I have a DHG installed. It was placed there the day before the guide died on an analog cable feed. The NumSearch is up to 6, so 4 is not a magic number. I set it to record daily just to see when it locks up. Unless there is a power failure first.

post #28155 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

I'm too far from San Diego/Tijuana to get any stations from there. However, I just checked the schedule for analog shutdown in Mexico and Tijuana is supposed to go dark tomorrow. So those folks still getting time signals are likely getting them from analog 6.

Are you sure that XETV isn't already digital? I interpeted this message from catmother as an indication that XETV went digital over a year ago. Here is the quote that lead me to that conclusion:
Quote:
According to rabbitears:

XETVDT and KGTV provide TVGOS data. As reported earlier my HDD250 clock channel is 0:23-0 which is the UHF RF channel for XETV, virtual channel 6.1

In any case, that could be where the data is coming from.

Mark
post #28156 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

In any case, that could be where the data is coming from.

I think it's a miracle!
post #28157 of 29213
I could be totally wrong, but I thought XETV was still broadcasting analog on 6 in addition to digital on virtual 6.1. You'd think someone posting on that Sony community site would just check their clock set channel. biggrin.gif
post #28158 of 29213
The Tijuana analog shutdown and digital conversion has been delayed until May 28, 2013. For more info in Spanish: http://www.tdt.mx/tdt/

Yes, XEDT was a provider of the TVGOS data, at least when I last followed this years ago. And yes they are still broadcasting on analog channel 6 as well as their digital channels on 6.1 and 6.2 (actual channel 23).

FWIW - North America includes Canada, USA, and Mexico.

Analog 6 is Canal 5 from Mexico, Spanish programming. 6.1 is the CW network, English programming. 6.2 is Canal 5 digital.

Although from what I remember when I had a Sony DHG, isn't the clock timing signal independent from the TVGOS program guide material? So the clock data can still be received independently of the TVGOS program guide?
post #28159 of 29213
Another thought... Maybe Sony Electronics (being located in San Diego) has installed an experimental time inserter at one of the local TV stations. cool.gif
post #28160 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotkar View Post

Another thought... Maybe Sony Electronics (being located in San Diego) has installed an experimental time inserter at one of the local TV stations. cool.gif

That would truly be a miracle! smile.gif
post #28161 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydrew View Post


Although from what I remember when I had a Sony DHG, isn't the clock timing signal independent from the TVGOS program guide material? So the clock data can still be received independently of the TVGOS program guide?

Thanks for the update. Yes, the clock signal is generated by the TVGOS inserter, so as long as the inserter is still in place (and the station is broadcasting), it doesn't matter that the program guide sent out daily has terminated.
post #28162 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Thanks for the update. Yes, the clock signal is generated by the TVGOS inserter, so as long as the inserter is still in place (and the station is broadcasting), it doesn't matter that the program guide sent out daily has terminated.

So it is quite possible that XETV still has their equipment in place. I suspect that Rovi is not making it top priority to collect their equipment in Tijuana Mexico.
post #28163 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotkar View Post

Another thought... Maybe Sony Electronics (being located in San Diego) has installed an experimental time inserter at one of the local TV stations. cool.gif

I don't think that Sony cares much about these DVR's that they discontinued 7+ years ago. Although Sony previously surprised me when they issued a software update to allow the reception of TVGOS on digital channels when the analog shutdown occurred in the USA. Although now it's 4 years later...
post #28164 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

I could be totally wrong, but I thought XETV was still broadcasting analog on 6 in addition to digital on virtual 6.1. You'd think someone posting on that Sony community site would just check their clock set channel. biggrin.gif

Five days before that post by catmother (whose DHG had locked onto the XETV digital host channel), someone posted this message which indicated that the XETV analog data had gone away.

What struck me about the post on the Sony site was that the guy claimed that after plugging his DHG back in, and turning it on, his front panel clock would always read 00:00. That would be very strange for a 12 hour clock. I see that someone had him post his last clockset time, which was today. He also posted his HostSUFlags which is 0xff8 which means his host channel is even set. He is definitely getting data from an inserter.

Mark
post #28165 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

What struck me about the post on the Sony site was that the guy claimed that after plugging his DHG back in, and turning it on, his front panel clock would always read 00:00. . .
That poster (KARCHIN) from the Sony site is an AVS member and reposted his note here in the AVS DVD Recorder forum yesterday. I directed him to this thread, let's see if (s)he surfaces.
post #28166 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

Five days before that post by catmother (whose DHG had locked onto the XETV digital host channel), someone posted this message which indicated that the XETV analog data had gone away.

I suppose it is possible that XETV stopped TVGOS via analog on the same day as changing their programming. On March 5, 2012 XETV changed from broadcasting the CW network on analog channel 6 to Mexican Canal 5 on analog channel 6. They are still broadcasting analog TV. More info about XETV here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XETV-TV

XETV analog channel 6 will shutdown on May 28, 2013 when Tijuana Mexico does their conversion to Digital TV. (unless this date is pushed back again) Tijuana Mexico is the first city in Mexico that is scheduled to shut down their analog TV broadcasts.
post #28167 of 29213

After 5 weeks and two days my DHG finally lockup up when I applied power. The FP clock was correct at 8:02 (but stopped). The channel number and call letters were there but not the DD indicator. After a FP reset the time was 07:16 and the date was unchanged at 4/3/2013. I'll fix the time and see how long it lasts. No schedule or recordings were lost, but most counters are back to zero. Still running .21 and local zip code.

post #28168 of 29213
Still have clock, and a third channel to record tonight. Thursday or Friday we will lose power to at least part (maybe all) of the house for the first minor part of electrical work on the house (this could last months).

Roof is finished, which means the new antenna should be operational within a week.

Wonder how much the clock would be off if I unplug the DHG and run to a neighbors house for electricity?
post #28169 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

Still have clock, and a third channel to record tonight. Thursday or Friday we will lose power to at least part (maybe all) of the house for the first minor part of electrical work on the house (this could last months).

Roof is finished, which means the new antenna should be operational within a week.

Wonder how much the clock would be off if I unplug the DHG and run to a neighbors house for electricity?

If it's off for over 30 minutes I bet you lose 2 to 2.5 hours.

post #28170 of 29213
I should check-in and mention that my date reads 1/21 and the time is correct, which means I am on the 21st day without a crash/reset. The only trouble I had was a skipped recording. I am using my real zip code, and since this is the greatest stability I have had to date, I do not plan to change anything.

- Kerry
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread