or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 963

post #28861 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryNY View Post

I am not trying to get anyone to choose equipment for romantic reasons, I am just describing the phenomenon.

- Kerry

My, but we are being sensitive, aren't we?

We seem to be mixing "romantic" with "nostalgic". I replied to Aleron earlier with regard to nostalgia so I won't repeat myself. But I have no problems adding to your list:

o Getting up to change the channel or adjust the volume.
o Moving the antenna after changing the channel.
o Adjusting the color and tint after changing the channel.
o Vertical and Horizonal controls.
o Waiting for the cassette to rewind.
o Tape players "eating" tapes (all kinds).
o VCR "tracking" control.
o Having to keep records clean and stored properly.
o Expensive turntables, tonearms, cartridges, and styli.
o Large speakers cluttering up the room.
o Having 6 remote controls on the coffee table.
o Having to cycle through television inputs to find the one you want.

Oh wait. You're still doing that last one, aren't you?

Sorry, Kerry. I just couldn't help myself !!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #28862 of 29213

Ok, this is becoming a social media thread.  So let's get Facebook to buy it and force Sony to fix the DHG.

 

And no mention of the Princess phone or PCV valve.

 

Don't touch that dial! Now where is my clicker? Film at 11.

post #28863 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Ah, but those were not inconveniences (at the time).
Dialing a telephone was way better than waiting for the operator at the local exchange to come on the line and connect you
Flipping an LP was a huge improvement over flipping a 78 which only had one song on each side
Waiting for a TV show simply replaced waiting for a radio show

You young whippersnappers just don't know what you missed. biggrin.gifeek.gifbiggrin.gif

The first house I remember living in (a couple of years after we moved back from your neck of the woods) was a two-story double that my dad owned (I mean was buying from the mortgage company). My dad had two elderly aunts (that had never married) that lived upstairs. They used to babysit us a lot.. I remember playing Chinese Checkers and Crazy Eights endlessly (long before video games), and I remember winding up their old phonograph to listen to 78's . . . smile.gif

They didn't have a TV.....
post #28864 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Ok, this is becoming a social media thread....

Well, until Izzy and CleClak come back with the latest greatest clock-set method there's not much else to talk about.. wink.gif

I still wanna see this thread get to 1000 pages! tongue.gif
post #28865 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post


Well, until Izzy and CleClak come back with the latest greatest clock-set method there's not much else to talk about.. wink.gif

I still wanna see this thread get to 1000 pages! tongue.gif

True. I would be happy with 30k posts. It does seem that so many DHG people are now on the TiVo forums. The TC forum is much more active, if redundant, than AVS, but Huddler made this place suck. I have noticed that the Tivo owned forum isn't so cool either.

post #28866 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post


I still wanna see this thread get to 1000 pages! tongue.gif

I don't think they'll have a problem with 1000+ pages. An implosion after post 32767 is more likely, but I'd still be surprised.
post #28867 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24 View Post


I don't think they'll have a problem with 1000+ pages. An implosion after post 32767 is more likely, but I'd still be surprised.

You're right. The new default is 30 posts per page. If it blows up with 32k posts we may need a while to get there. Maybe I should start a rumor of a clock fix? Next April 1?

post #28868 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24 View Post

IMHO, digital audio was the best thing to happen to HiFi. Like everything else it had its "debugging" phase which caused some hardware to be retired early.
As I mentioned a while back, we still have my husband's college system from 1978 in the Midlife Crisis room. It still works. But I can't listen to it for very long. It even bothered me back then, but there was no alternative. Now, happily, there is.

The Nakamichi 700 has enhanced Dolby NR, but the tape hiss is still plenty audible. Dolby helped, but also compromised the treble. I thought the noise reduction method was primitive even back then.

The HK ST-7 has audible rumble. Every turntable does. And no LP is perfectly flat or has the hole perfectly centered.

Now I can't tell the difference between Dolby 5.1, SDDS, THX, or whatever. But anyone with normal hearing could pick up tape hiss or rumble. Digital audio solved all those problems.

When I bought my first VCR in 1982 ($300), I couldn't wait for a consumer device that recorded video to disk. I was in the computer business and knew the technology was coming. I never liked any tapes - cassette, VHS, 9-track (computer) - any of them. They stretch. They break. They wear out. And no random access - even an LP had that (sort of).

Now, there are audio purists who feel that digital audio lacks the "fullness" of an LP played on a high-quality analog system. There was even an article in yesterday's paper about it:

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/215257931.html

What do you know? All you need is a $10,000 turntable fitted with a $5,000 cartridge!. No problem, right?

I wonder if possumgirl payed that much.

I think it was also around 1982 that I got my first VCR. It was in the $300 to $400 range. It had a little door on top of it and inside was 4 tuners and you used a little plastic device to adjust each one until the cable channels above 13 would come in. Of course if you wanted a different channel then you had to keep adjusting it. I then purchased a 4 head Hi FI Stereo RCA VCR a few years later for $600. Yea Hi Fi Stereo was just left and right stereo connections but it did have S Video. I still have this VCR and it still works. It was made in Japan, which was a bad thing in those days just like made in china is a bad thing today.

As for the difference between the surround sound codecs, I recently bought a Onkyo 9400 THX system and I was surprised on how well it sounded. It replaced a Onkyo 7100 system that I bought to replace my speakers that got ruined by a DTS Bomb. I grabbed the Blu ray Godzilla 1998 and I was stunned of the clarity of the sounds that were coming from the speakers as I have poor hearing, especially in my left ear. I could not hear these sounds on the other Onkyo HTIB. Even if I take it out of THX mode it still sounded better.

I subscribe to the OPPO 105 thread and some of those guys are real serious about 2 channel analog sound and have some really expensive gear. I started having visions of building a 2 channel system but decided I need a new home and a proper room first before I do this insane thing. I have a large collection of albums and 45 records. I was offered $500 for my original pressing of Wings Band on the Run. The guy's better half overheard the conversation and put the stops to the sale. It is apparent that she is not into the old analog sound;).
post #28869 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

That sounds pretty circumstantial to me. The human ear is capable of detecting frequences up to 20 kHz, but since the ear (like the rest of the body) suffers from decreasing performance with age, the range of audible sounds can decrease to 18 kHz by the mid teens and easily drop below 16 kHz before middle age. As such, only a six year old could truly appreciate the entire frequency response of audio CDs, and it is physically impossible for any human to gain additional benefit from the absurd sampling rates used on "HD" audio (96/192 kHz). It's just a marketing gimmick to trick the uninformed into buying expensive equipment.

I agree that hearing decreases with age but the story I told was relayed to me from a old RCA technician. He owns a appliance store and I bought my RCA DLP from him. The high pitched whine the color wheel makes reminded him of the incident as a few of his women customers who purchased the DLP sets from him complained of the noise were their husbands didn't notice it. I did read some articles about female senses are more acute than males mainly because of a females instincts to protect their babies.
The issue of the Pioneer kuros panel buzzing is something that I notice in my right ear but not in my left ear. I had one person claim that his panel did not buzz but when I checked it I heard the buzz with my right ear. He still thinks that I made this up because my two kuros buzz. By the way he can't hear my panels buzz. Go figure as I worked in very noisy environments for twenty some years and he did not.
post #28870 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

I waited a number of years for a big screen TV. Then I decided that I better wait to go large with an HDTV. That was a fairly easy decision since my neighbor across the street at the time bought (something like) a 57" SD-RPTV in like 2000 or so. I remember thinking those scan lines were horrible. I had to wait.. the HDTV's were coming . . .

So in November 2002 I bought my Mitsubishi Diamond series WS65711 (haha) which cost me a shade over $6000 including tax. ATSC and QAM tuners, no DVI or HDMI, one (1) set of 1080i Component inputs, 300-plus pounds of TV. It still serves me well. It broke once (within the past year) but I was able to repair it myself by changing out 8 capacitors on one PCB. Cost me about $12 to fix. smile.gif

There WAS a fair amount of OTA HDTV to watch when I first connected an antenna to the Mits in January 2003. CBS had some primetime shows in HD, and PBS used to have some spectacular stuff on the digital OTA feed. The other networks came later, and cable seemed to lag behind by several years.

BTW, I still don't have HD-DVD or Blu-Ray . . . eek.gif

I think I am getting a pain in my groin thinking about moving that set around.biggrin.gif I had a 36 inch analog RCA TV ($2385 new in 1997) and it weighed almost 400lbs. You had to be careful moving it as it was front heavy and it always felt it wanted to tip over. This TV had the original version of TVGOS embedded in it and it worked right up to the last day when Rovi shut the feed off. I gave it to my neighbor, who was bed ridden from a stroke, in 2004 when I got my first DLP set. It took four people to get out of my house and into hers.
My cable system had four HD channels in 2004. They were the four Philly broadcast channels as none of the Wilkes Barre stations were in HD yet. The PBS station in Wilkes Barre came online shortly after. Then we got Discovery HD Theater and HDNet and HDNet Movies. Like you said HD programming was pretty sparse.
post #28871 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

I think it was also around 1982 that I got my first VCR. It was in the $300 to $400 range. It had a little door on top of it and inside was 4 tuners and you used a little plastic device to adjust each one until the cable channels above 13 would come in. Of course if you wanted a different channel then you had to keep adjusting it. I then purchased a 4 head Hi FI Stereo RCA VCR a few years later for $600. Yea Hi Fi Stereo was just left and right stereo connections but it did have S Video. I still have this VCR and it still works. It was made in Japan, which was a bad thing in those days just like made in china is a bad thing today.

As for the difference between the surround sound codecs, I recently bought a Onkyo 9400 THX system and I was surprised on how well it sounded. It replaced a Onkyo 7100 system that I bought to replace my speakers that got ruined by a DTS Bomb. I grabbed the Blu ray Godzilla 1998 and I was stunned of the clarity of the sounds that were coming from the speakers as I have poor hearing, especially in my left ear. I could not hear these sounds on the other Onkyo HTIB. Even if I take it out of THX mode it still sounded better.

I subscribe to the OPPO 105 thread and some of those guys are real serious about 2 channel analog sound and have some really expensive gear. I started having visions of building a 2 channel system but decided I need a new home and a proper room first before I do this insane thing. I have a large collection of albums and 45 records. I was offered $500 for my original pressing of Wings Band on the Run. The guy's better half overheard the conversation and put the stops to the sale. It is apparent that she is not into the old analog sound;).

1982 was the year I bought my first VCR also. But I had to be different, being the new adopter that I am - went to the Crazy Eddie store in Orange, Connecticut, just outside of New Haven, and bought a Sanyo Beta Hi-Fi deck. For some reason, I saved the receipt. We still use a couple of betacam digital recorders at work. Pretty much everything else at the TV station is dumped to file servers.



The oldest component in my current home theater, is a Technics SL1500 MKII turntable - it's over 30 years old, built like a tank, and still works. Now that vinyl is making a comeback, I might buy a new cartridge for that bad boy, and have an analog weekend sometime. What goes around comes around. Instant karma's gonna get you...
post #28872 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
I think it was also around 1982 that I got my first VCR.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
Go figure as I worked in very noisy environments for twenty some years and he did not.

Chatty tonight. I got my first VCR about 1982, a Mitsubishi that still works. Someday I'll show you my stack of vinyl. All first pressing and 99% perfect. Some are unique since the artist is dead. Mostly 60's and 70's.

 

Noise has always been part of my life. The loudest noise I ever heard (actually felt) was at MacDill AFB when two F4 jets decided to do a max-G climb with afterburners going directly on top of my car when I was coming to work. I never knew noise could make you sick.

 

My love is the audio part of A/V. I bought my Blu-ray because it could play SACD and had DSD output. But then I needed a AVR that could use DSD. Then I needed better speakers that went to 100k and good sub-woofer. And then my neighbors moved out. Call this paradise. I appreciate every minute since I don't know when it will end.

 

Hot!


Edited by JoeKustra - 7/15/13 at 4:45pm
post #28873 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I just got my first HDTV 18 months ago, so I definitely don't fall into the "early adopter" category. wink.gif I wouldn't have even gotten one if the audio components on my CRT hadn't failed beyond repair. I do, however, have a Blu-ray player. I just got a USB Blu-ray burner as well, since DVD5 storage capacity is insufficient for most HD material, and BD-Rs cost about the same as DVD9s, despite having triple the capacity.

Aleron I think you fall in the Johnny come lately category.biggrin.gif You really avoided all the pitfalls of HDs past. I remember debating if people should get EDTVs or HDTVs. EDTVs were enhanced definition tv that had a native resolution of 480P. These TVs did not last long. Also a lot of early HDTVs could not properly deinterlace the 1080i signal as most will only display one of the fields and drop the other. Then came the 720 vs 1080 debate. Of course you missed the format war. All the forums were really busy when that was going on. AVS had to put a stop to it as things really got out of control. You needed to don your flame suit before posting in those days.
In 2005 I bought a RCA DVD player/recorder for $400 as it was the only thing that had a HDMI output and could upconvert SD DVDs and analog cable/OTA signals to 720p or 1080i. There was no such thing as a cheap HDMI cable either. I think I paid over $40 for a 6 foot braided one. Actually I still have this cable and it is the only thing I have from my first HD purchases.
post #28874 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

You're right. The new default is 30 posts per page. If it blows up with 32k posts we may need a while to get there. Maybe I should start a rumor of a clock fix? Next April 1?

Color ME stupid, Joe, but from time to time I fool around with the Enter Parameter screen hoping I'll stumble on to something. I still believe the Gemstar folks left themselves a back door to set the date. If only we knew who to ask ...

As for the DHG and this thread, I'm pretty neutral about 1000 pages or 32767 posts. I've looked in on the TiVo Premiere and "that other thread" but have little to offer and for whatever reason I really enjoy the back and forth that takes place here. Like all things, when it ends it ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

I subscribe to the OPPO 105 thread and some of those guys are real serious about 2 channel analog sound and have some really expensive gear.

I should clarify that I have nothing against the older technology and am not trying to criticize anyone who prefers that sound. In a side-by-side, I might like it better as well. The gear may be expensive but I'm a capitalist at heart and believe that people can spend their money where and when they want. The examples mentioned above involved an electric guitar or other "clean" source. On our "legacy" system, I can listen to FM with no problem. But if the source is noisy (hiss/rumble) then overly expensive amplifiers & speakers are a waste.

Incidentally, our pride and joy is a Sonora "Excellence" model 301 tabletop radio from the 1940's. The only antenna is a plain wire that runs along the floor for about 6 feet. At night, I can pick up 50+ stations for all over the world. UK, France, Russia, China, Japan, Australia - you get the idea.


IMG_0469.JPG 108k .JPG file
post #28875 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

1982 was the year I bought my first VCR also. But I had to be different, being the new adopter that I am - went to the Crazy Eddie store in Orange, Connecticut, just outside of New Haven, and bought a Sanyo Beta Hi-Fi deck. For some reason, I saved the receipt. We still use a couple of betacam digital recorders at work. Pretty much everything else at the TV station is dumped to file servers.

The oldest component in my current home theater, is a Technics SL1500 MKII turntable - it's over 30 years old, built like a tank, and still works. Now that vinyl is making a comeback, I might buy a new cartridge for that bad boy, and have an analog weekend sometime. What goes around comes around. Instant karma's gonna get you...

Ah Crazy Eddie. "Our Prices are Insane" I still remember those commercials. I had Technics components in the 1970s but I sold everything for motocross bikes (Maicos) then when I turned 16 I turned to cars, mainly Camaros.
post #28876 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24 View Post

Incidentally, our pride and joy is a Sonora "Excellence" model 301 tabletop radio from the 1940's. The only antenna is a plain wire that runs along the floor for about 6 feet. At night, I can pick up 50+ stations for all over the world. UK, France, Russia, China, Japan, Australia - you get the idea.

 

If you really want to DX radio check out http://vtuner.com/. It's part of several AVR's, like my Yamaha RX-V867. But for local I use an outdoor antenna and a Radio Shack HD/RDS clock radio. I can get Philly AM stations, but they are on the internet anyhow. The radios in all my past receivers are "ok", but then I found this RS (discontinued) radio with AUX output. I use Pandora mostly which I can get on my Blu-ray and TV also. Blu-ray is best since it has a built-in buffer so I never notice a lag when I share the internet with it.

post #28877 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Chatty tonight. I got my first VCR about 1982, a Mitsubishi that still works. Someday I'll show you my stack of vinyl. All first pressing and 99% perfect. Some are unique since the artist is dead. Mostly 60's and 70's.

Noise has always been part of my life. The loudest noise I ever heard (actually felt) was at MacDill AFB when two F4 jets decided to do a max-G climb with afterburners going directly on top of my car when I was coming to work. I never knew noise could make you sick.

My love is the audio part of A/V. I bought my Blu-ray because it could play SACD and had DSD output. But then I needed a AVR that could use DSD. Then I needed better speakers that went to 100k and good sub-woofer. And then my neighbors moved out. Call this paradise. I appreciate every minute since I don't know when it will end.

Hot!

The loudest noise I experienced was at a coal breaker I worked in. At the raw coal screen it was in the 140 to 160 decibels range. If you faced the screen and opened your mouth your fillings would vibrate. You had to wear foam ear plugs and headphones near the screen. Even with this your ears would still ring. MSHA shut us down and we had to replace the screen and drop off chute with plastic. The noise level dropped to about 110 decibels in the plant.
Anything coal mining is really not hearing friendly or lung friendly either.

My vinyl is 60's, 70's, and early 80's. Mainly rock and roll. I came to back A/V as I thought it would be a cheaper hobby and I wouldn't need a garage to store things. The cheap part I got wrong. I recently started getting the storage part under control as I gave away or throw away devices I wasn't using or could not repair. My new neighbor is not home much so I am getting to push the volume on this THX Onkyo HTIB. Boy does it sound good.smile.gif
post #28878 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24 View Post

Color ME stupid, Joe, but from time to time I fool around with the Enter Parameter screen hoping I'll stumble on to something. I still believe the Gemstar folks left themselves a back door to set the date. If only we knew who to ask ...

As for the DHG and this thread, I'm pretty neutral about 1000 pages or 32767 posts. I've looked in on the TiVo Premiere and "that other thread" but have little to offer and for whatever reason I really enjoy the back and forth that takes place here. Like all things, when it ends it ends.
I should clarify that I have nothing against the older technology and am not trying to criticize anyone who prefers that sound. In a side-by-side, I might like it better as well. The gear may be expensive but I'm a capitalist at heart and believe that people can spend their money where and when they want. The examples mentioned above involved an electric guitar or other "clean" source. On our "legacy" system, I can listen to FM with no problem. But if the source is noisy (hiss/rumble) then overly expensive amplifiers & speakers are a waste.

Incidentally, our pride and joy is a Sonora "Excellence" model 301 tabletop radio from the 1940's. The only antenna is a plain wire that runs along the floor for about 6 feet. At night, I can pick up 50+ stations for all over the world. UK, France, Russia, China, Japan, Australia - you get the idea.


IMG_0469.JPG 108k .JPG file

Hang on to that radio as I looked it up on ebay and I seen two selling for $1000 +. I never hung on to anything and I wish I did as I had some things that would be worth money today.frown.gif

Oh I have to mention my second TiVo arrived at 4:50 PM but I can not do the cablecard until tomorrow as my cable company closes at 5 PM.frown.gif

The guys, and one girl that I know of, are using the OPPO 105 mainly for 2 channel analog sound from SCAD, CD's and lossless rips. Some also listen to they lossless audio form Blu ray in 2 channel analog stereo. I really did not read of anybody trying to listen to music from old sources like tape or vinyl. I am amazed at the cost of the equipment they use as some of it cost more that what my house is currently worth.eek.gif I am considering getting the OPPO 103 but I do follow the 105 thread as I find the discussion about analog sound there interesting.smile.gif
post #28879 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post


Hang on to that radio as I looked it up on ebay and I seen two selling for $1000 +. I never hung on to anything and I wish I did as I had some things that would be worth money today.frown.gif

Oh I have to mention my second TiVo arrived at 4:50 PM but I can not do the cablecard until tomorrow as my cable company closes at 5 PM.frown.gif

The guys, and one girl that I know of, are using the OPPO 105 mainly for 2 channel analog sound from SCAD, CD's and lossless rips. Some also listen to they lossless audio form Blu ray in 2 channel analog stereo. I really did not read of anybody trying to listen to music from old sources like tape or vinyl. I am amazed at the cost of the equipment they use as some of it cost more that what my house is currently worth.eek.gif I am considering getting the OPPO 103 but I do follow the 105 thread as I find the discussion about analog sound there interesting.smile.gif

While I feel SACD is wonderful, I wish there was more content on Blu-ray. My favorite is Styx with the Contemporary Youth Orchestra of Cleveland. More and more audio is available on Blu-ray but it's mostly live concerts. Oddly, the Concert for Sandy on TV was broadcast in 2ch stereo. I only noticed because I saved it on my PC and it was so small. Go figure.

 

I still see ads for the opening of my SE new office on July 10.

post #28880 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

Hang on to that radio as I looked it up on ebay and I seen two selling for $1000 +. I never hung on to anything and I wish I did as I had some things that would be worth money today.frown.gif

Antique radios are more my husband's thing, but I really like the 301. It's amazing how well it works and how good it sounds after 60+ years. I'm a fan of art deco and that mirrored tuning dial is fabulous.

We actually have 2 of these. Another item where he wanted a "spare". I just asked him if he'd sell one for $1000 and he shook his head. What a moron.

The Sonora is Bakelite, as is our Sonorette model 50 which is also quite rare. Catalin radios are more valuable than Bakelite - we have 3 of those but they don't work nearly as well. I've bought 2 Zenith end table radios (as gifts) that work well and also function as furniture. I love the "tuning eye" on the old Zenith radios.

The 301 will still be going long after every last DHG has been turned to scrap ... rolleyes.gif
Edited by mac24 - 7/15/13 at 6:50pm
post #28881 of 29213
It's getting harder and harder to find analogue hookups. One reason I bought my particular model ot TV was that it still had a standard headphone jack, which allowed me to connect it to my Cambridge Soundworks stereo system. I was hoping to get an S-Video input, too, but TVs with those are even harder to find now.

I just hope audio CDs stick around. I'll be upset if the ability to buy physical copies of music disappears, especially if the only alternative is getting MP3 files on Amazon or AAC files on iTunes (or worse, streaming on Internet radio sites). Losing physical copies would be bad enough if there were at least some sites selling FLAC albums, but being asked to switch to lossy sources is unacceptable.
post #28882 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I just hope audio CDs stick around. I'll be upset if the ability to buy physical copies of music disappears, especially if the only alternative is getting MP3 files on Amazon or AAC files on iTunes (or worse, streaming on Internet radio sites). Losing physical copies would be bad enough if there were at least some sites selling FLAC albums, but being asked to switch to lossy sources is unacceptable.

I strongly agree. Although I decided to switch over to using a media player after my CD changer fills up (probably next year), I still prefer to purchase CDs, and convert to FLAC myself. Lossy compression is OK for a portable player, but not for my home system, where I want the truest / best sound I can afford. Keeping the original CD or other lossless master allows the flexibility to make lo-fi copies if desired, but not be stuck with those compromises.

- Kerry
post #28883 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I just hope audio CDs stick around....

I wish music would have stuck around. I don't know what's happened to it in the past 20 years . . .frown.gif
post #28884 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24 View Post

My, but we are being sensitive, aren't we?


I think you know me better than that! smile.gif

Quote:
We seem to be mixing "romantic" with "nostalgic".


Well, nostalgia is a type or subset of romanticism. (you can have romantic feelings / illusions about something in the present as well) I also wouldn't say that someone is "nostalgically attached" to some object, but I would say that they are romantically attached to an object for nostalgic reasons. Maybe I spend too much time talking to Richard Lederer at conventions. wink.gif

Quote:
Having to cycle through television inputs to find the one you want.

Oh wait. You're still doing that last one, aren't you?

I did receive my new remote last night, but there is still much programming to be done!

- Kerry
post #28885 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

You're right. The new default is 30 posts per page. If it blows up with 32k posts we may need a while to get there.

I was wondering if I am the only one who sees this on page 289. I changed my preferences to display the maximum number of posts per page right away. Seeing all those ads once is enough...

- Kerry
post #28886 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

I wish music would have stuck around. I don't know what's happened to it in the past 20 years . . .frown.gif

Now, now. Remember what your parents thought about what you listened to? My folks were into Glenn Miller, Frank Sinatra, and Broadway show tunes like My Fair Lady, West Side Story, and Oklahoma! This is just a natural cycle of music that appeals to different generations.

For the most part, however, I agree. Turn on rap music and I'm out the door. But some of the tunes the kids listen to I actually like, including a few by Lady Gaga. eek.gif

The kids themselves? That's another matter. mad.gif
post #28887 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

While I feel SACD is wonderful, I wish there was more content on Blu-ray. My favorite is Styx with the Contemporary Youth Orchestra of Cleveland. More and more audio is available on Blu-ray but it's mostly live concerts. Oddly, the Concert for Sandy on TV was broadcast in 2ch stereo. I only noticed because I saved it on my PC and it was so small. Go figure.

I still see ads for the opening of my SE new office on July 10.

I have ripping my CDs to a lossless codec and streaming them to my receiver. The songs sound better as my CD player does a poor job of reproducing the music. Plus my receiver has many digital connections in the back. Very little analog connections are left on it.

They have some pictures of the Grand Opening of the new Sunbury office on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.602435319791279.1073741828.148709088497240&type=1
In this picture the lady in the middle with the cane is the owner of our cable company:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=602435336457944&set=a.602435319791279.1073741828.148709088497240&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/ServiceElectricCablevision

The building in Hazleton looks similar. I haven't seen any of SECV vehicles around Frackville for a while not even the contractor. Things must be really slowing down.
post #28888 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24 View Post

Antique radios are more my husband's thing, but I really like the 301. It's amazing how well it works and how good it sounds after 60+ years. I'm a fan of art deco and that mirrored tuning dial is fabulous.

We actually have 2 of these. Another item where he wanted a "spare". I just asked him if he'd sell one for $1000 and he shook his head. What a moron.

The Sonora is Bakelite, as is our Sonorette model 50 which is also quite rare. Catalin radios are more valuable than Bakelite - we have 3 of those but they don't work nearly as well. I've bought 2 Zenith end table radios (as gifts) that work well and also function as furniture. I love the "tuning eye" on the old Zenith radios.

The 301 will still be going long after every last DHG has been turned to scrap ... rolleyes.gif

I guess your original statement you made does come to play here. The antique radios still work because 1. If they break they can be repaired and 2. As long as someone is broadcasting a radio signal that the radio can tune in, they still have use. In the case of the DHG it was really Rovi that killed it off as it is basically useless with out the guide data. Or should I say a pain the butt to use. But I suspect once the hard drives fail and Sony no longer repairs them then they are done as these devices will not operate with out the hard drive.

As for selling one of your radios I suspect that these devices will gain in value as time moves forward especially if they still work.wink.gif
post #28889 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

It's getting harder and harder to find analogue hookups. One reason I bought my particular model ot TV was that it still had a standard headphone jack, which allowed me to connect it to my Cambridge Soundworks stereo system. I was hoping to get an S-Video input, too, but TVs with those are even harder to find now.

I just hope audio CDs stick around. I'll be upset if the ability to buy physical copies of music disappears, especially if the only alternative is getting MP3 files on Amazon or AAC files on iTunes (or worse, streaming on Internet radio sites). Losing physical copies would be bad enough if there were at least some sites selling FLAC albums, but being asked to switch to lossy sources is unacceptable.

A lot of the new A/V receivers have very little analog inputs any more. My two 8G Kuros have one S Video input but I am totally using HDMI for all my hook ups now. I hope disc based media stays around for a long time is I like owning a physical copy of my music and movies. There is no way I am going to store my content on somebodies servers as I see this as a path to were the content owners will start charging per viewing. So you will have to pay each time you want to listen to your favorite song or watch your favorite movie.
One downside to streaming is you have to watch you don't blow your monthly cap or you will be charged extra or have your internet connection throttled.
post #28890 of 29213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

I guess your original statement you made does come to play here. The antique radios still work because 1. If they break they can be repaired and 2. As long as someone is broadcasting a radio signal that the radio can tune in, they still have use. In the case of the DHG it was really Rovi that killed it off as it is basically useless with out the guide data. Or should I say a pain the butt to use. But I suspect once the hard drives fail and Sony no longer repairs them then they are done as these devices will not operate with out the hard drive.

As for selling one of your radios I suspect that these devices will gain in value as time moves forward especially if they still work.wink.gif

You're partially correct. So few of the Catalin sets have survived that those collectors don't really care if they work. But we're with you - and prefer things that function. As a result, we get outbid on Catalin a lot (and I was wrong, we only have 2).

The 301 has no FM. It's AM, short-wave, and one other that I think is obsolete. Fortunately, there's still a ton of short-wave in use. The last time I turned it on was in January - it was about -20° and that night it picked up everything. It's quite fun to hear what the Australians think of Americans!

We actually collect a few things. We went to an antique show in 1987 and that's where it all started. I collect Royal Doulton, Moorcroft, and some Bakelite jewelery (VERY art deco!). In addition to radios, my husband collects pin-up art from the 1940's and 1950's - Elvgren (a local artist) and Runci. Especially Runci. He has an original Runci from 1946 that is his Holy Grail. If we were on a sinking ship and he had to toss stuff overboard, I sometimes think I'd be in the water before the Runci.

The value of our collections took a serious hit when the Internet came along. We learned that much of what we thought was rare is really not. Another hit in 2008, along with everything else. As for the future, only time will tell. Right now it's a buyer's market.

You're right about Rovi and the DHG. It's really a shame because it deserves to be a classic. Not only does it look like a classic but in many ways it was the first - and only - of it's kind.

Much has been written here and elsewhere about the real villain in all of this - Rovi or Sony. The reason I blame Rovi is how they've conducted themselves. If you called about TVGOS, as I did, you learned quickly how their staff was trained - which was to ask what equipment you owned, then provide you with the customer service phone number of Sony, LG, or whatever. A most unsatisfactory business.

Sony provided an Android app. Lord knows it wasn't much, but it was something. Plus their customer service would talk with you politely.
Edited by mac24 - 7/16/13 at 1:01pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread