Originally Posted by HoustonPerson
I am thinking about getting the Sony HD Recorder and have a couple of questions:
1. Can you set the system up and leave the TV Guide system turned "off" and still set up a recording list with dates, times, channels etc. (just like the old VHS recorders)?
2. If you do turn on the TV Guide system and it screws up the internal tuners, is there a system reset to clear everything out?
3. Are you able to record 2 HD channels at the same time - perhaps from the "recorders" tuner and the "TV's" turner?
4. Have you received a software upgrade from Sony? If so, what is the software version and was it installed via the USB port?
1. You can set manual recordings only once you get the correct time delivered over the TV signal. There is no way to manually set the clock. However all manual recordings show up as 'Unknown' in the recording listsings and there is no way to change the title. You'd have a hard time finding things you recorded.
2. There is a reset and if you search this post I believe you can find the remote codes to do that.
3. You can only record one at a time. There is only a cable and an antenna input on the back.
4. I've received no software updates. I haven't needed any so far anyway.