or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays › The Official Samsung SlimFit HDTV Thread...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Samsung SlimFit HDTV Thread... - Page 87

post #2581 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzleation View Post

sorry to interrupt the "when in doubt sue" discussion, but I just had a quick question.
I know that the picture can be quite sub par when connecting a PC to a CRT television, but I sort of want to try anyway. If I connect my 7800GT using a DVI to HDMI adapter, would I get a decent picture on my slimfit? If not, I am looking for a new video card anyway and might consider a card with HDMI out. Would this lead to a better picture as opposed to using a DVI-HDMI adapter? (I do realize that it will always be a better picture if you don't use more connectors, but would it be significantly better for any other reason?)

Thanks for your suggestions!

Commence legal discussion.

The Slimfit is one of the worst choices for HTPC, unfortunately. Horizontal resolution is very low, and muddy at the edges. You'll have a hard time reading text in windows. If you keep Windows in 4:3 (manageable in your NVidia settings), text will be legible, but just barely.
post #2582 of 2843
I have a Samsung SlimFit HDTV 27" (TXS2782). I rarely listen to the TV with any significant volume whatsoever (maybe going up as high as 25 when watching a movie, but often watching at 10-15). After all, almost all my TV watching is at night when the kids are sleeping.

Despite that, I have noticed lately that the speakers sound almost like they are blown. Whenever there are low notes (or even mids for that matter) there seems to be a distinct "buzz" sound to it, almost like the source is overmodulated. I have tried this watching DirecTV as well as watching DVDs, the sound is the same.

This makes it irritating to watch TV to say the least, and makes dialog harder to understand. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be a setting in on the TV? And if it is in fact blown speakers, where/how do I go about replacing the speakers? I'm pretty competent technically, so replacing the speakers myself is a possibility if it's not ridiculously difficult.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #2583 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by merggarvey View Post

I have a Samsung SlimFit HDTV 27" (TXS2782). I rarely listen to the TV with any significant volume whatsoever (maybe going up as high as 25 when watching a movie, but often watching at 10-15). After all, almost all my TV watching is at night when the kids are sleeping.

Despite that, I have noticed lately that the speakers sound almost like they are blown. Whenever there are low notes (or even mids for that matter) there seems to be a distinct "buzz" sound to it, almost like the source is overmodulated. I have tried this watching DirecTV as well as watching DVDs, the sound is the same.

This makes it irritating to watch TV to say the least, and makes dialog harder to understand. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be a setting in on the TV? And if it is in fact blown speakers, where/how do I go about replacing the speakers? I'm pretty competent technically, so replacing the speakers myself is a possibility if it's not ridiculously difficult.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.



Don't ever attempt to fix anything inside a CRT TV, I don't care how competent you are. You touch the wrong thing and you are most likely gone from this world, that is all I will say about that. Even if it hasn't been plugged in for a long time, it still holds a charge.

Fortunately, your problem is easily solved. Be smart. Go and get a receiver and speakers. Since you only watch with the TV's speakers anyway, you could probably get some cheapo home theater system from Wal-Mart that would cost far less than the repair job it's going to take to fix that TV and you would have a center channel so you could hear the dialog better.
post #2584 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by merggarvey View Post

I have a Samsung SlimFit HDTV 27" (TXS2782). I rarely listen to the TV with any significant volume whatsoever (maybe going up as high as 25 when watching a movie, but often watching at 10-15). After all, almost all my TV watching is at night when the kids are sleeping.

Despite that, I have noticed lately that the speakers sound almost like they are blown. Whenever there are low notes (or even mids for that matter) there seems to be a distinct "buzz" sound to it, almost like the source is overmodulated. I have tried this watching DirecTV as well as watching DVDs, the sound is the same.

This makes it irritating to watch TV to say the least, and makes dialog harder to understand. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be a setting in on the TV? And if it is in fact blown speakers, where/how do I go about replacing the speakers? I'm pretty competent technically, so replacing the speakers myself is a possibility if it's not ridiculously difficult.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do some searches in this thread history, because I'm almost certain other people have complained of this. I'm sorry, I forget the cause of the problem...I'm tempted to say power supply interference...might be remembering incorrectly.
post #2585 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleme7 View Post

Don't ever attempt to fix anything inside a CRT TV, I don't care how competent you are...

Yes, that's great advice as usual. Regardless of how compentent you are, and that goes for you techs out there too, just stop working on CRT TVs.
post #2586 of 2843
Samsung called me back today, and they are waiving the "out of warranty" replacement fee. Give me a break Samsung, you try to make it sound like you are doing me a favor. Anyway, they are sending me a LN-T3242H which is retailing at best buy for 809.99. Considering I paid 660 for my 30 slim fit almost a year and a half ago I am pleased. However, it is safe to say when I purchase my next tv (or anything electronic) it will not be a Samsung.
post #2587 of 2843
I'm glad my SlimJim Samshit died a few weeks ago. Although I don't like wasting money, buying this TV was probably the biggest waste of money I ever spent.

I ended up buying a Sony 32" LCD...the picture is awesome...no geometry problems, no transformer buzz, NO HASSLES! I actually got it from a NYC Internet site for $849...which is cheaper than I originally paid for the Samshit 2 years ago locally from Woofer!

I should have done more research before I got this piece of crap...Buyer Beware!!
post #2588 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post

Samsung called me back today, and they are waiving the "out of warranty" replacement fee. Give me a break Samsung, you try to make it sound like you are doing me a favor. Anyway, they are sending me a LN-T3242H which is retailing at best buy for 809.99. Considering I paid 660 for my 30 slim fit almost a year and a half ago I am pleased. However, it is safe to say when I purchase my next tv (or anything electronic) it will not be a Samsung.

That rocks! While I know you're pretty frosted over the Slimfit experience, understand that it's one of the worst products in Samsung's lineup. The vast majority of their electronics are of good quality; they make great LCDs as you can see. And they made good CRTs with the exception of the Slimfit line. You did exceptionally well with the replacement deal. Most manufacturers only give you a prorated (partial) trade value on your used equipment. Whether or not that's fair I'm not arguing, just saying to get a replacement valued higher than the original's retail...you made out very well indeed. Happy TVing.
post #2589 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by merggarvey View Post

I have a Samsung SlimFit HDTV 27" (TXS2782). I rarely listen to the TV with any significant volume whatsoever (maybe going up as high as 25 when watching a movie, but often watching at 10-15). After all, almost all my TV watching is at night when the kids are sleeping.

Despite that, I have noticed lately that the speakers sound almost like they are blown. Whenever there are low notes (or even mids for that matter) there seems to be a distinct "buzz" sound to it, almost like the source is overmodulated. I have tried this watching DirecTV as well as watching DVDs, the sound is the same.

This makes it irritating to watch TV to say the least, and makes dialog harder to understand. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be a setting in on the TV? And if it is in fact blown speakers, where/how do I go about replacing the speakers? I'm pretty competent technically, so replacing the speakers myself is a possibility if it's not ridiculously difficult.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It seems like the only suggestion that has actually worked it was one i suggested 5 or 6 pages back. I was messaged by a few members that said it worked wonders.

When I first plugged my TV in, I plugged it straight into the wall. I immediately noticed the buzzing from the speakers and purple-ish splotches in the corners. I decided before I boxed it up, I would try plugging everything into my monster powercenter. It looked better once the power was plugged in but there was still a very slight hissing from the speakers when watching tv or using my 360. I tried plugging EVERYTHING into the powercenter. That means power, coaxial, and even the ethernet to my xbox 360. After doing this, there was zero splotching, no terrible, migraine triggering squeal coming from the speakers and the picture looked significantly better. I also have to split my coax at the wall, so I tried a monster 2 GHZ splitter and a 900mhz splitter I found somewhere in my basement. With the 900mhz the picture looked "acceptable" but the internet was rather slow. With the 2ghz the picture looked a lot better and I gained 1.8 mb/sec on speedtest.

I say it everytime but I will say it again, I realize I sound like a monster sales rep, but their stuff has always been great for me. And when you can see a noticeable difference it makes it worth the money.

So in summary: Buy a monster powercenter, and CONNECT EVERY CABLE IN YOUR SYSTEM TO IT. I would also suggest the monster video cables, especially their HDMI M series cables. They are incredible.

Good luck!
Samuel
post #2590 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan View Post

The Slimfit is one of the worst choices for HTPC, unfortunately. Horizontal resolution is very low, and muddy at the edges. You'll have a hard time reading text in windows. If you keep Windows in 4:3 (manageable in your NVidia settings), text will be legible, but just barely.

Actually, when I connected my pc through DVI (using a dvi to hdmi adapter) it looked really good. Text looks suprisingly acceptable (I'm really not using it for writing papers or spreadsheets, if I was this would be difficult after a while). For web browsing, and desktop apps it works quite well. At first the picture was terrible, but i just had to mess around in the nvidia control panel for 10 minutes or so until it looked good. Call of Duty 4 looks great, as does video.

Thanks for the words of caution though. Also I appreciate that you don't give into random attacks and unreasonable demands of a company (i.e. give me an lcd that is twice the price of my crt, or else I will start crying and say I will sue you! Even though we both know that none of those inbreds have the balls, financial means or brain cell count to do anything). Your civility and effort to make the slimfit experience better for all us owners as opposed to pointless pissing and moans rants is an example I wish more would follow.

Regards,
Samuel
post #2591 of 2843
Does anyone have this tv connected to a PS3, or any other source connected through HDMI or component cables? I am getting really agitating posterization every time I use these connections. Faces (especially in low lighting) have terrible blotchy skin tone, and the overall picture simply looks fake. I'm curious if this is a general problem with this type of set, or if there is something particularly wrong with my tv set. If anyone has this setup, and has gotten satisfactory picture results, I'd appreciate any information as to how. Thanks.
post #2592 of 2843
I have the TXT3093 and recently the chassis went out on the TV and Samsung had to send out a repair guy to fix the TV. It is fixed now but ever since the chassis was replaced in the TV, the geometry is terribly off. It was great when it came out of the box but now it sucks and I am having the same issue that almost EVERY OTHER PERSON has complained about. I have a repair ticket filed with Samsung to send out the repair guy again but I don't have alot of faith in him. I found the Service Code on here and messed with the deflection settings some and it looks better but isn't perfect. Can anyone post what their settings are for Deflection and DHC 1 and DHC 2 (I think that is the other two after deflection.) I am confident that I can fix it but I just need to know what these were at out of the box. Thanks for any feedback or help in this matter.
post #2593 of 2843
I purchased my 3093 when they first came out and thus far no problems. I'm looking to buy an upconverting dvd player and needed some information as to which HDMI cable I should buy. I'm looking on monoprice.com for a cable but I don't know what to choose. I don't know much about HDMI so I want to make sure the cable is compatible with my TV while also not paying a huge price for it. Thanks for any help.
post #2594 of 2843
Silly question, but is it better to have the tv plugged into the wall or through a surge protector?
post #2595 of 2843
After searching in this thread I did not find the answer I was looking for. I have my 2782H hooked up to cable (TimeWarner basic, i.e. no external box) and OTA antenna. When viewing STD def via the cable hookup, the picture fills the screen and does the expected distortions when switching between std, zoom1 and 2 and 16:9. When I switch over to my OTA antenna for Digital Broadcasts my picture is rather small. Info listed for the Digital channel shows 1080i, 16:9, and I set my P.Size to 16:9. The picture when set this way is not 16:9, it is smaller with black bars both above and below (expected) but also on each side (unexpected). Picture is 22" diagonally and measures 17.75" x 13" or 1.365 ratio. The ratio should be 1.78 if it was 16:9.

This was a new in the box set from BB purchased early last year (just found this thread recently ). I only went through standard automatic setup enabling both cable and OTA input and setting all channels.

Is there any scanning adjustment or is this the geometry problem that is mentioned in this thread. I should have more than a 22" diag picture with 16:9 and not have side black bars (2.75" wide).

Any help would be appreciated.
post #2596 of 2843
well i messed up my tv it's a txt2793h. yea i did this before i found this forum. any one have the factory deflection numbers for this tv. i searched but no luck. help please
post #2597 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by slepr View Post

After searching in this thread I did not find the answer I was looking for. I have my 2782H hooked up to cable (TimeWarner basic, i.e. no external box) and OTA antenna. When viewing STD def via the cable hookup, the picture fills the screen and does the expected distortions when switching between std, zoom1 and 2 and 16:9. When I switch over to my OTA antenna for Digital Broadcasts my picture is rather small. Info listed for the Digital channel shows 1080i, 16:9, and I set my P.Size to 16:9. The picture when set this way is not 16:9, it is smaller with black bars both above and below (expected) but also on each side (unexpected). Picture is 22" diagonally and measures 17.75" x 13" or 1.365 ratio. The ratio should be 1.78 if it was 16:9.

This was a new in the box set from BB purchased early last year (just found this thread recently ). I only went through standard automatic setup enabling both cable and OTA input and setting all channels.

Is there any scanning adjustment or is this the geometry problem that is mentioned in this thread. I should have more than a 22" diag picture with 16:9 and not have side black bars (2.75" wide).

Any help would be appreciated.

The reason you're probably getting the black bars on the side is that what you are watching OTA is not actually HD. Most OTA broadcasters send out their signal in the 16:9 HD aspect ratio and so have to pillarbox any 4:3 footage to properly fit that frame. If it was a true HD broadcast, then the full 16:9 image would be filled. It doesn't sound like a problem with the TV itself, but rather the broadcast you are receiving.

A quick Wikipedia search for "pillarbox" will explain this issue further.
post #2598 of 2843
Where can I find a 30" Slim Fit HD TV? My parent's have one and it is perfect for what I need, but BB and CC no longer sell them? Has Samsung stopped producing these TV's?
post #2599 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2015 View Post

The reason you're probably getting the black bars on the side is that what you are watching OTA is not actually HD. Most OTA broadcasters send out their signal in the 16:9 HD aspect ratio and so have to pillarbox any 4:3 footage to properly fit that frame. If it was a true HD broadcast, then the full 16:9 image would be filled. It doesn't sound like a problem with the TV itself, but rather the broadcast you are receiving.

A quick Wikipedia search for "pillarbox" will explain this issue further.


Thank you so much for the response. It just threw me since the channel info said 16:9 and the TV was in 16:9 mode. Just figured it would fill the screen with the proper image ratio with only black bars above and below. It is OTA from the local stations so I guess I am stuck with a much smaller picture for OTA broadcasts. I have Directv coming out next week with an HD setup so that should hopefully solve the problem.
post #2600 of 2843
The tvs are no longer being made. This is because the technology was not sufficient to project the picture over such a wide screen with a short tube. even if you do find one, dont get it (just my two cents).

For those people looking for factory deflection settings, they wont help. The settings are going to be unique to your tv. Other peoples settings will not help you much. Also, write down everything before you change it because it is easy to screw up and it can happen faster than you think.
post #2601 of 2843
I went to my local Sears store where they are still selling these TVs and went into the Service Menu there. I took pictures of all the settings and sent them from my phone to my email. Got back home and changed my TV settings to those in the TV that I took pictures of at Sears. It is pretty much fixed. There are a few geometry things like the top of the screen is a little off and so is the bottom but I think I can correct those. Just wanted to let people know that it did make it a lot better. If anyone needs the settings, just let me know and I will post them.
post #2602 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisgoforth View Post

I went to my local Sears store where they are still selling these TVs and went into the Service Menu there. I took pictures of all the settings and sent them from my phone to my email. Got back home and changed my TV settings to those in the TV that I took pictures of at Sears. It is pretty much fixed. There are a few geometry things like the top of the screen is a little off and so is the bottom but I think I can correct those. Just wanted to let people know that it did make it a lot better. If anyone needs the settings, just let me know and I will post them.

Like sclawis said, each set has its own unique settings, even though they're the same model number. This is why it's important to write down the settings before changing anything.
post #2603 of 2843
The crack is on the front just to the left of the power button. It starts very small in the middle of the plastic and has run up to the black part the outlines the screen and it is cracking there as well. I have extended warranty with CC and some rude lady at CC customer relations told me it was just cosmetic and not covered. I went to my CC store and the manager said it may be overheating or some sort of heat issue. Any ideas?
Thanks
Robby
post #2604 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusson View Post

Silly question, but is it better to have the tv plugged into the wall or through a surge protector?

I bought an APC voltage regulator (which has surge protection, too--but no battery backup) and it has cured the macroblocking I experienced with my 3092. So this might help, since the Slimfits' power supplies seem to be questionable.

Bottom-of-the-line battery backups are not true power conditioners, since they do not have voltage regulation (which is included in more expensive backups).

I got the regulator for less than 50 bucks online through Provantage. Fast delivery, good packaging.
post #2605 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by giper View Post

Where can I find a 30" Slim Fit HD TV? My parent's have one and it is perfect for what I need, but BB and CC no longer sell them? Has Samsung stopped producing these TV's?

My Slimfit 3092 works great, but if you read through this thread, you'll see that some people despise theirs.

I see them on the shelves at some Best Buys and Sears (the 3093, mostly), but you may have to shop online if you really want a 3092. It looks as if their production has been discontinued, so they're probably mostly in warehouses now.
post #2606 of 2843
I just had my LN-T3242H delivered today and they took away the crap fit. I could not be happier. Not only does it not buzz, but the picture is straight and the screen does not overscan when being used as a monitor with my macbook. AWESOME.
post #2607 of 2843
Just have a quick question for all you Slimfit owners. Did any of you have to lower the color down on your TV set? Because on my TX-T2082, the colors were set at 50, which is the default setting, but I found it too high. Not only were the colors way too rich, but there was significant amount of blooming and bleeding in the picture. So I had to lower my color to 35 in Component mode and 43 in AV mode and now it's fine.

Anyone else had that problem? I was just curious as people told me that the richer the color, the better it is. While I do agree that rich color is nice, too rich can be bad as well.
post #2608 of 2843
The angle of the picture on my TV is slightly off and bugging me. Does anyone know of the proper setting to adjust TILT in the SERVICE MENU, not the standard menu? It will only allow me to go to 7,-7 in the standard menu and it is not enough.

If there is not a TILT option in the service menu, then this was a huge oversight by Samsung since the electron gun is so easily repositioned.
post #2609 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

Just have a quick question for all you Slimfit owners. Did any of you have to lower the color down on your TV set? Because on my TX-T2082, the colors were set at 50, which is the default setting, but I found it too high. Not only were the colors way too rich, but there was significant amount of blooming and bleeding in the picture. So I had to lower my color to 35 in Component mode and 43 in AV mode and now it's fine.

Anyone else had that problem? I was just curious as people told me that the richer the color, the better it is. While I do agree that rich color is nice, too rich can be bad as well.

I adjusted my settings, too. I think that in the Picture menu, I've got mine at 92/82/72 for the top 3, and a click or two toward green from red. My set came from the store with the top one at 100.

It's hard to find an OTA test pattern, but when I saw one on my set, it looked to be spot-on. The small bars ranging from black to gray are subtle but important indicators.
post #2610 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambam View Post

I adjusted my settings, too. I think that in the Picture menu, I've got mine at 92/82/72 for the top 3, and a click or two toward green from red. My set came from the store with the top one at 100.

It's hard to find an OTA test pattern, but when I saw one on my set, it looked to be spot-on. The small bars ranging from black to gray are subtle but important indicators.

Thanks. I'm glad it's not just me that felt this way. I don't know why the factory settings are like that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays › The Official Samsung SlimFit HDTV Thread...