or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays › The Official Samsung SlimFit HDTV Thread...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Samsung SlimFit HDTV Thread... - Page 92

post #2731 of 2843
louie826,

Thanks for all the info. It makes the zapping sound when I turn it on all the time. I read in some previous posts that it's a degauss or something. Makes sense if that's the case. It's not really a big deal.

I do have another question if you don't mind. I tried connecting my surround sound system to my slimfit with an optical cable and I'm not getting any sound. I just had this same system hooked up to a big screen tv the same way. Am I doing something worng?

Thanks for any additional input.
post #2732 of 2843
I don't have a Slimfit with an optical out. From searching through one of the online manuals on page 9 I found this notice:

DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL)
RF (Digital/Analog), AV, S-Video - Sound is output
Component, HDMI - Sound is not output

* When the COMPONENT IN or HDMI IN jacks are connected, the Optical jack on the TV does not output audio. If you want to hear audio, connect the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack on the DVD player or Set-Top Box directly to an Amplifier or DVD Home Theater, not the TV.

Is this true in your situation?
post #2733 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie826 View Post

Useless fact : there is an option in the service menu to increase or decrease the volume of the melody. Unfortunately, this option doesn't affect the melody volume in any way.

Really? I turned off the melody on my Slimfit through the regular menu (not the service menu). So, everyone should have the option of turning it off. I found it annoying, so I turned mine off. Don't know why they put that melody in the first place. It serves no purpose.
post #2734 of 2843
louie826,

I have my cable box and dvd player connected by both HDMI inputs. I couldn't get it to work so I just ran the optical cable from my surround sound system directly to my cable box. Kinda odd, but for some reason it sounds better than I remember when I was going through the TV on my other TV instead of directly through the cable box. I haven't messed with the melody option yet, but I'm going to have to try that out. Thanks for all your help.
post #2735 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

Really? I turned off the melody on my Slimfit through the regular menu (not the service menu). So, everyone should have the option of turning it off. I found it annoying, so I turned mine off. Don't know why they put that melody in the first place. It serves no purpose.

I turned my down to the lowest volume, but I like it. There are actually TWO jingles -- one that increases its notes (on) and the other that decreases its notes (off). I like it because sometimes my satellite box is showing a black screen, and I cannot tell if the set is on or off. Hitting the power button and listening to the jingle tells me whether the set is on or off.

I've had my TX-T3092WH for 1.5 years and haven't had any problems with it. I'm so glad that I bought the TV before Samsung completely discontinued the Slim Fit line.

TLK

[img]http://static.flickr.com/115/***************************[/img]
post #2736 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post

I like it because sometimes my satellite box is showing a black screen, and I cannot tell if the set is on or off.

I don't know about your TV, but mine has a standby light. So, that tells me if my TV is on or off.
post #2737 of 2843
I shut off that standby light once I saw the option to do so in the service menu. Standby lights annoy me and I got enough dumb electronics and surge protectors with little lights in my room.
post #2738 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

I don't know about your TV, but mine has a standby light. So, that tells me if my TV is on or off.

Yep, mine does as well. However, when I'm in a half-asleep stupor at 1:30 am, the jingle tells me more than whether I can see a little red light, or not.

TLK

[img]http://static.flickr.com/115/***************************[/img]
post #2739 of 2843
I have a 30" 79 model. It has the shutdown issue, that can be temporarily remedied by pointing a fan into the back of the set. I found a page by Jason Coyne that describes this issue and it's repair but without details.

The page mentions the fix of the issue by replacing some components but I cannot find out which components are replaced. I browsed the first 40 pages of this thread thus far and found others with my issue but no resolution. The page mentions that the service technician said this problem plagues all sets with a Y in ther serial number followed by an 8, 9 or A. Mine has a Y followed by a 9. This problem presents earlier on as geometry issues and eventually results in the protect mode like random shutdowns.

The question: does anyone know which caps/resistors, etc. need to be replaced and/or upgraded to resolve the automatic shutdown. I have done these types of repair before and am aware of the dangers already. It would simply save alot of time if someone has made this repair before and can tell me what to replace so I can get my set back up and running.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
post #2740 of 2843
Well I had my slim fit go bad on me on friday the picture went into an hr glass shape and it smelled really hot. It sounds like I now have a giant paper weight, any ideas?
post #2741 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimm98 View Post

Well I had my slim fit go bad on me on friday the picture went into an hr glass shape and it smelled really hot. It sounds like I now have a giant paper weight, any ideas?

Yes. Find some paper.

TLK

[img]http://static.flickr.com/115/***************************[/img]
post #2742 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimm98 View Post

Well I had my slim fit go bad on me on friday the picture went into an hr glass shape and it smelled really hot. It sounds like I now have a giant paper weight, any ideas?

Same here. I've been trying to fix it in the deflection menu but no luck... wish these things had a reset.
post #2743 of 2843
Last Friday I could not turn my set back onat all. Had to take it to tweeter and pay 50 bucks for them to sent some where so that they can tell me if thing can be fix for a good price. I thnk that I'm SOL :{
post #2744 of 2843
Have had a 30" 79 model for about 2 years. Turned it on the other day and didn't have the color red any longer.

Is this a common problem and how do I fix it? Is it possible to fix without bringing it to a repair shop?

Thanks for any assistance!

tommyfw
post #2745 of 2843
Problem with TX-S2782

My brother has directv and last week upgraded to hd service. When hooking up set top hd receiver to tv via either hdmi or component, the audio is not in sync with the video. The audio is about 2 seconds behind the video. I tried a second hd receiver with the same result. When I use the audio out of the hd receiver to his stereo, the audio is in sync. I just turned the volume of the tv off. When he had his old directv sd receiver hooked up via the a/v input there was no problem. It seems to affect only hd inputs.

Could this be a service menu issue where there are adjustments to syncronize audio and video? Or is this a bad component part issue? If a service menu issue, which item on the menu list would this be? Access to the service manual would be appreciated from anyone who may have one if this is a service menu issue. The tv is out of warranty, so if a part issue it probably isn't worth the repair cost.
post #2746 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakedbean View Post

I have a 30" 79 model. It has the shutdown issue, that can be temporarily remedied by pointing a fan into the back of the set. I found a page by Jason Coyne that describes this issue and it's repair but without details.

The page mentions the fix of the issue by replacing some components but I cannot find out which components are replaced. I browsed the first 40 pages of this thread thus far and found others with my issue but no resolution. The page mentions that the service technician said this problem plagues all sets with a Y in ther serial number followed by an 8, 9 or A. Mine has a Y followed by a 9. This problem presents earlier on as geometry issues and eventually results in the protect mode like random shutdowns.

The question: does anyone know which caps/resistors, etc. need to be replaced and/or upgraded to resolve the automatic shutdown. I have done these types of repair before and am aware of the dangers already. It would simply save alot of time if someone has made this repair before and can tell me what to replace so I can get my set back up and running.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

I had the "shutdown issue" crop up about 3 weeks ago on my 30" Slimfit. Looked here in AVS and also at Jason Coyne's page, no real help. Like some others I've read of, mine was accompanied by another symptom, increased horizontal overscan that was noticed about the time of the first shutdown. A 4x3 program nearly filled my 16x9 screen in 4x3 mode all the time.

I decided to try adjusting the image back to normal width using the deflection menu accessed from the service menu. I used ONLY the deflection menu ... wrote down all factory settings ... then adjusted "H-AMP" until the 4x3 screen looked about the right width; centered it using "H-SHIFT"; exited service mode; selected a 16x9 source & went to 16x9 display mode; then back to the service menu for another check of the width & overscan. I left it with just a little H overscan in 16x9, rechecked 4x3 mode again, and quit there.

To my delight, since I adjusted my set it has not shutdown at all and it's been over a week. Prior to that it was shutting down at least once per evening, sometimes more. Keeping fingers crossed!

[November 21: My 30 inch Slimfit has now died. Won't turn on at all. Will be buying an LCD flat panel to replace it this weekend.]
post #2747 of 2843
I have owned the 27" Slimfit for almost two years and am very happy with it. In fact, my only regret is that I didn't just spend the extra $50 and get the 30" (TXT3093H) from the getgo. When I made the purchase I had no idea that I'd soon be getting all the FiOS HD biz and really "need" those extra inches!

I'm very willing to upgrade, but am concerned about getting one with one of the flaws mentioned in this thread. ("Let not the perfect be the enemy of the good")

My questions:
  1. Does the 30" Slimfits have more problems than the 27"?
  2. Is Samsung still making revisions to this model or is it no longer in production?
  3. If they have made revisions to correct these problems, how can I be sure to get the most up-to-date model?
  4. Does anyone one of places in the DC area where I can find a demo model?

Any other helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
post #2748 of 2843
Samjunk dumped these slimfit crt models-if that tells you anything-and I'm glad you had good luck with your 27" for 2 years-but don't gamble-stay away from these things like you'd stay away from a poison pill.
post #2749 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnestheus View Post

I have owned the 27" Slimfit for almost two years and am very happy with it. In fact, my only regret is that I didn't just spend the extra $50 and get the 30" (TXT3093H) from the getgo. When I made the purchase I had no idea that I'd soon be getting all the FiOS HD biz and really "need" those extra inches!

I'm very willing to upgrade, but am concerned about getting one with one of the flaws mentioned in this thread. ("Let not the perfect be the enemy of the good")

My questions:
  1. Does the 30" Slimfits have more problems than the 27"?
  2. Is Samsung still making revisions to this model or is it no longer in production?
  3. If they have made revisions to correct these problems, how can I be sure to get the most up-to-date model?
  4. Does anyone one of places in the DC area where I can find a demo model?

Any other helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Don't do it. Buy a used Sony or Panasonic if you have to have a CRT, otherwise just get a cheap flatpanel.
post #2750 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post

Samjunk dumped these slimfit crt models-if that tells you anything-and I'm glad you had good luck with your 27" for 2 years-but don't gamble-stay away from these things like you'd stay away from a poison pill.

I've had my Slimfit (TX-T2082) for over a year already. The darn thing still works, but I still have that darn flickering problem. What is wrong with this thing? You'd think that if this thing flickers, it's obviously no good and would break, but no. It's still alive.
post #2751 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post

...but don't gamble-stay away from these things like you'd stay away from a poison pill.

OK, let me put it this way: Is there anyone who is problem-free and happy with their 30" Slimfit?
post #2752 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnestheus View Post

OK, let me put it this way: Is there anyone who is problem-free and happy with their 30" Slimfit?

I have had mine for almost two years now and have been beyond happy with it. There was noticable overscan when I first got it but it was easily fixed in the service menu.

There is bowing, but only when you look for it. It's pretty minor on my set.

I've read all the horror stories about this set online but I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

The picture is incredible as well... looks better than many 720p LCDs I've seen.
post #2753 of 2843
And last question: What's the difference between the TXT3093WH and TXT3093H?
post #2754 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuloMan5 View Post

I have had mine for almost two years now and have been beyond happy with it. There was noticable overscan when I first got it but it was easily fixed in the service menu.

There is bowing, but only when you look for it. It's pretty minor on my set.

I've read all the horror stories about this set online but I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

The picture is incredible as well... looks better than many 720p LCDs I've seen.

Ah, but you see, you have bowing and overscan problems, but you easily overlook them. There are people who are happy with their Slimfits, but there's no such thing as a 100% flawless one.

I wish there is some way I can sell mine on Ebay. I'm just so unhappy with mine.
post #2755 of 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnestheus View Post

And last question: What's the difference between the TXT3093WH and TXT3093H?

I think one had side speakers and one had bottom speakers. Somebody correct me.
post #2756 of 2843
Just wondering if anyone has used a blue ray player and watched movies on the slimfit. Just want to get some opinions on how the picture looks. thanks
post #2757 of 2843
Does anyone here still own a Slimfit? Because I think there are only a few of us who have it now. Everyone else's Slimfit probably broke down.
post #2758 of 2843
I've still got mine. I kind of fear it going out, but at least it's under warranty for about another year and a half. Hell... if they can't fix it then, who knows what I can get for the money!
post #2759 of 2843
Mine is still working great and I still have another year and a half warranty like TrueBlueLS. I'm not sure how the warranty works. I guess they try to fix it and then maybe replace it with a refurb. Or maybe even cut you a check for the purchase price. Just a guess. Anyone have to use the warranty and if so, how did they take care of it?
post #2760 of 2843
I guess you all must've bought the extended warranty. I didn't, so the warranty on mine is already over. But shhhhh, don't say that in front of my TV. These Slimfits tends to fail the minute it knows that its warranty is up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays › The Official Samsung SlimFit HDTV Thread...