or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Home A/V Distribution › Control4 FAQ, tips & tricks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Control4 FAQ, tips & tricks - Page 6

post #151 of 1429
AJF, from what I understand, they originally were only wireless, but there were a decent number of requests for wired ones, so I am pretty sure they are coming out with ethernet versions of the lcd keypad shortly.

Joe
post #152 of 1429
Great, I think it's a steal at the price . The simple Niles keypads cost about the same .
post #153 of 1429
The Wireless LCDs will be out 1st (scheduled 8/31/05 release) and possibly a wired version later - no date set though so it could be a while. The wireless LCD's do work on Zigbee though and NOT on WiFi ethernet to clarify. They require 110v.

As far as lighting goes the network is secure from controlling neighbors houses and vice versa. When the dimmers are linked to a processor they can't be controlled by another processor. Your neighbor would have to be initializing dimmers at the same time you are to create a problem (that could still be easily fixed.)

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #154 of 1429
I'm trying to decide which controller I should get so I can start to get a good feel for Control4's products. I'm debating between the $599 Home Theater Controller and the $1499 Media Controller. The Home Theater Controller seems to do a lot but from what I've seen, it doesn't offer support for WiFi and would have to be wired. I also have conflicting on the info for the Media Controller. One of the brochures I read indicated it supports 802.11b while another indicated 802.11g. Anyone know which is correct?

My main objective is to manage my media an do so w/ the best bang for my buck. I figured w/ the HTC I could mount the drives from my networked PCs and still have access to all my MP3s and such. Any words of wisdom on this would be much appreciated.

The 80gb hard drive in the media controller is nice but between my PCs, I have nearly a terabyte of storage so I don't want to pay an extra $900 just for the drive.

TIA!
post #155 of 1429
The Wifi portion is an external Wifi router. Your choice b,g. This is the same same for any controller.
post #156 of 1429
Hey Brent, question about the color LCD touchpad. My new house has an "open" layout so many zones open to each other and are very close. Can I install just one touchpad in a central location and control the source and volume for each of the zones (kitchen, formal dining, powder room, deck)? This would save me a ton of money compared to having keypads with volume control in each zone as well as reduce wall clutter. I think the answer is yes based on my experience with the media controller but I just wanted to confirm.
post #157 of 1429
Stash, yes, you can control any room from one keypad. I have the mini touch panel and have been able to easily play songs, change volume, etc. in other rooms.
post #158 of 1429
Has anyone created their own drivers yet? I know there are instructions on how to do this, just looking for real world feedback. I am going to create some drivers for the Denon AVR 4806 and the Pioneer PDP 5050HD. It sure would be nice if C4 would update its online driver database with current products.
post #159 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash View Post

Hey Brent, question about the color LCD touchpad. My new house has an "open" layout so many zones open to each other and are very close. Can I install just one touchpad in a central location and control the source and volume for each of the zones (kitchen, formal dining, powder room, deck)? This would save me a ton of money compared to having keypads with volume control in each zone as well as reduce wall clutter. I think the answer is yes based on my experience with the media controller but I just wanted to confirm.


You might think about putting 3 button keypads in some of the rooms so you don't always have to go to the touch screen to change the volume of the room your in.

With the three buttons: one could be vol up, two vol down, three room on/off
post #160 of 1429
Question about Control4 Wireless Thermostat

My current thermostat is somewhat intelligent - it know how long it takes to cool\\heat my house. So, if i want my house to be at 70 at 6:00PM - it will know when to start AC to get to cool house to 70 at 6:00PM.

Can Contol4's thermostat do this ?
post #161 of 1429
Thread Starter 
I'm planning a 6-zone wired distributed audio setup, similar to http://www.control4.com/documents/technotes/0005-04.htm. In my case, I won't use any speaker points or audio points, all speaker wires will be homerun. I already have a B&K multi-channel amp instead of the C4 amp; I already have the MC and will get the Matrix Switch.

My question is -- how is volume controlled in individual zones? Which component is responsible for doing that? If I'm in zone 2, and hit up volume on the remote, which device interprets the command and raises the volume? Is it the Matrix Switch? I read the Matrix Switch manual and didn't see any discussion about this.

Thx,
Max
post #162 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill View Post

Question about Control4 Wireless Thermostat

My current thermostat is somewhat intelligent - it know how long it takes to cool\\heat my house. So, if i want my house to be at 70 at 6:00PM - it will know when to start AC to get to cool house to 70 at 6:00PM.

Can Contol4's thermostat do this ?

You could program this logic...

Also, Control 4 is working on other HVAC integration to support non-C4 thermostats. What brand do you currently have?

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #163 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Spivak View Post

I'm planning a 6-zone wired distributed audio setup, similar to http://www.control4.com/documents/technotes/0005-04.htm. In my case, I won't use any speaker points or audio points, all speaker wires will be homerun. I already have a B&K multi-channel amp instead of the C4 amp; I already have the MC and will get the Matrix Switch.

My question is -- how is volume controlled in individual zones? Which component is responsible for doing that? If I'm in zone 2, and hit up volume on the remote, which device interprets the command and raises the volume? Is it the Matrix Switch? I read the Matrix Switch manual and didn't see any discussion about this.

Thx,
Max

The Matrix Switch physically manipulates the volume, balance and tone. The Controller tells it to do it at the time you want it to do it. It takes both devices to accomplish the task.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #164 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuskins View Post

You could program this logic...

Also, Control 4 is working on other HVAC integration to support non-C4 thermostats. What brand do you currently have?

Brent Huskins
Media Design

So, is it the matter of flipping "Bring house to programmed temperature at programmed time" vs "Start heating\\colling at programmed time" switch ?

I currently got LUX, i believe model 9000

http://www.luxproducts.com/thermostats/tx9000.htm
post #165 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuskins View Post

The Matrix Switch physically manipulates the volume, balance and tone. The Controller tells it to do it at the time you want it to do it. It takes both devices to accomplish the task.

Brent,
Can the MC also do this on it's own if you aren't using the Matrix Switcher ? Also, have you heard anything more about the Video Switch that was mentioned by Eric ? Will it do video AND audio ?
post #166 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJF View Post

Brent,
Can the MC also do this on it's own if you aren't using the Matrix Switcher ? Also, have you heard anything more about the Video Switch that was mentioned by Eric ? Will it do video AND audio ?

The MC or HTC won't physically do it on it's own. It needs to control the switch or a C4 amp (or a receiver as well - basically any device with built-in volume, even a TV). If you're using speaker points the MC or HTC controls the speaker point directly.

I would expect them to offer a Video only switch to complement the Audio Switch. I wouldn't doubt them to offer an A/V switch later down the road, but haven't heard any direct discussions of that. C4's philosophy is to offer flexibility, 2 separate devices makes more sense in accomplishing that as long as their priced right. So far so good on the pricing.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #167 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill View Post

So, is it the matter of flipping "Bring house to programmed temperature at programmed time" vs "Start heating\\colling at programmed time" switch ?

I currently got LUX, i believe model 9000

http://www.luxproducts.com/thermostats/tx9000.htm


If you're talking about daily automation, it could be programmed to start the AC ahead of when you want it to cool to a certain set point so that at a given time it reaches that set point. Basically the same thing can be accomplished as your current unit; it just has to be approached differently. You could program it based on how may degrees the current temperature is above the desired set point and to start the routine so many minutes early per degree of drop needed.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #168 of 1429
Thanks Brent .
post #169 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuskins View Post

You could program it based on how may degrees the current temperature is above the desired set point and to start the routine so many minutes early per degree of drop needed.


How do i program it ? Do i need the special software from Control 4 that i wouldn't be able to get or can i use menus\\buttons on the thermostat itself ?
post #170 of 1429
You would use the composer software.
post #171 of 1429
and create a scheduling agent...

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #172 of 1429
Jim and Eric, when will C4 be offering an updated remote. I have the media controller up and running but it is impossible to use the remote in dark locations. I have also noticed that there is a 2-3 sec lag from when you press a button until the action happens. I would be great to see you offer a remote with backlit keys and a better button config. Other than that the media controller is great (my wife loves it).

It would be nice if you could add some additional drivers to your online database (specifically the Denon 4806 receiver and Pioneer 5050HD plasma...wink, wink).

I also have some product suggestions. It would be nice to have some outdoor rated equipment such as a plug in control for landscape and holiday lights, outdoor keypads and volume controls, and an outdoor remote.

Keep up the good work!
post #173 of 1429
The Pioneer PDP-5050HD is the exact same driver used for the Pioneer PDP-5040HD and 5045HD...use one of them and you'll be golden. The Denon will have to be custom created for the time being...it's too new of a model.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #174 of 1429
Thanks Brent! Do you think it would a good idea to try to modify the 5805 driver, or just start from scratch.
post #175 of 1429
Also, is there any way to set the media controller to output video in a 16x9 format. Right now I am using the component outs but the image doesn't fill the entire screen.
post #176 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash View Post

I also have some product suggestions. It would be nice to have some outdoor rated equipment such as a plug in control for landscape and holiday lights,

Good call. I once suggested this and totally agree.

Also, anyone have an idea if the zigbee network would be strong enough to have switches/dimmers/etc in a detached garage that is ~20ft from the main house?

Thanks. Can't wait to finish my basement and home theater so I can order some stuff from Control4.
post #177 of 1429
The 5805 is likely a good starting point, but it may be more simplified to just create one from scratch.

As far as 16 x 9 goes...it is in 16 x 9 but doesn't stretch to the edges. It's a fixed resolution...likely 480i. I've commented about this to tech and would like to see the ability to stretch and/or resize the image to fit the screen entirely.

If Roku Labs can do it on their $300 High Def Photo Bridge, Control 4 can do it on their $1,500 unit. Granted it may not be that simple, but it sure would be nice. BTW-the Roku's GUI quality is just excellent. The product itself needs work still, but the 720P GUI has razor sharp resolution on my Pioneer plasma. It allows you to select the desired output - 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, etc. and then allows you to custom trim the edges to make it fit perfectly out to the last pixel. This feature really needs to be looked at from Roku. That's the one thing they've mastered.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #178 of 1429
well everybody suggesting new products - i want watter resistant remote - so i can use one in whirlpool tub.
post #179 of 1429
One like this would be great:



It floats.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #180 of 1429
Thread Starter 
I upgraded Composer to version 1.1 last night, which updated the drivers as well. I didn't see a driver for the C4 Thermostat, do others have it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home A/V Distribution
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Home A/V Distribution › Control4 FAQ, tips & tricks