or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Comcast Technology Topic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comcast Technology Topic - Page 15

post #421 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

maybe for other things but I cannot imagine how one would be justified for SDV.

Its complicated, everyone I've talked to either don't know what SDV is or that Comcast considered it in 2008 and decided that its not worth pursuing, thus will not be doing it.
post #422 of 838
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wolf View Post

Its complicated, everyone I've talked to either don't know what SDV is or that Comcast considered it in 2008 and decided that its not worth pursuing, thus will not be doing it.

According to a email conversation I had with the CTO they will be implementing SDV.
post #423 of 838
Does SDV as implemented allow for two simultaneous channels?

tnx
jim
post #424 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

According to a email conversation I had with the CTO they will be implementing SDV.

Yes, our California Region VP of Communications has already confirmed that SDV will be coming to Comcast here soon, likely early to mid 2011. No question about it, Comcast will be implementing SDV across it's systems.
post #425 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Miller View Post

Does SDV as implemented allow for two simultaneous channels?

tnx
jim

Yes, you should be able to get as many SDV channels as you have tuners.
post #426 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Yes, our California Region VP of Communications has already confirmed that SDV will be coming to Comcast here soon, likely early to mid 2011. No question about it, Comcast will be implementing SDV across it's systems.

well not sure why since Comcast's CEO's office confirmed that they aren't.
post #427 of 838
The person I spoke with on Sunday told me that Comcast lost interest in 2008. Apparently they were wrong. They also said they saw no projects slated for my area that involved switched digital video. So far you’ve only shown claims for populated areas and not for smaller areas such as mine with around 6,000 subscribers, according to my local office. Please don’t confuse personal feelings with information, ok?
Now I called the corporate office again, and he said that SDV will start being rolled out at some point later this year in my area, if they see the need for it. His name was Terrence, and I was not given a last name. I will be receiving a callback in a few days after he speaks to the engineering department to see what channels would be gained or lost, with no word on any new HD channels. Also I was told October 12th the DTA's will be available.
post #428 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wolf View Post

Please don't confuse personal feelings with information, ok?

Whose personal feelings, yours? I have no idea what you're implying here.
post #429 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Whose personal feelings, yours? I have no idea what you're implying here.

I believe he is referring to the comments by 'Mr. J' as many of the statements in those articles are prefaced with 'I feel', 'I think', and 'should be', etc. ie, not written fact just Mr. J's expectations and possibilities.
post #430 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by [OC]Pik4chu View Post

I believe he is referring to the comments by 'Mr. J' as many of the statements in those articles are prefaced with 'I feel', 'I think', and 'should be', etc. ie, not written fact just Mr. J's expectations and possibilities.

yes but I was also referring to keenan's statement to me "I'm sorry that it's something you don't want, and you can choose to believe what ever you wish, but there really doesn't seem to be any doubt that at some point in the near future Comcast will go live with SDV. My suggestion is to get used to the idea instead of fighting it as it's already a done deal." which I took offense to both personally and professionally since he seems to constantly reply with something to undermine whatever I say. I asked for the discussion to end but he doesn't seem to want the same.

Thanks Pik4chu *hugs*
post #431 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wolf View Post

yes but I was also referring to keenan's statement to me "I'm sorry that it's something you don't want, and you can choose to believe what ever you wish, but there really doesn't seem to be any doubt that at some point in the near future Comcast will go live with SDV. My suggestion is to get used to the idea instead of fighting it as it's already a done deal." which I took offense to both personally and professionally since he seems to constantly reply with something to undermine whatever I say. I asked for the discussion to end but he doesn't seem to want the same.

Because keenan is trying to represent the situation accurately, where you are not.

It's public knowledge Comcast will be implementing SDV beyond the test bed areas by the end of this year. This is on record with the FCC.

End of story.
post #432 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Because keenan is trying to represent the situation accurately, where you are not.

It's public knowledge Comcast will be implementing SDV beyond the test bed areas by the end of this year. This is on record with the FCC.

End of story.

Thats your opinion that I'm not.
post #433 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wolf View Post

Thats your opinion that I'm not.

Let me rephrase my comment. You may not have been trying to misrepresent the situation, but you did.

And that's not an opinion.
post #434 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Let me rephrase my comment. You may not have been trying to misrepresent the situation, but you did.

And that's not an opinion.

I disagree but to each his own.
post #435 of 838
Look man, you can't just call Comcast's CSRs, assume they know what the hell they're talking about, and then come here and try to contradict what people are saying. Ken is a well-respected mod around here with a true insider's knowledge of the industry.

What are your creds, exactly?
post #436 of 838
Slow, I respect that opinion.
Also my profile answers your question.
Check out 215-286-8960 which is where my info comes from.
post #437 of 838
So you're a Comcast tech? That's what I get by reading your profile.
post #438 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

So you're a Comcast tech? That's what I get by reading your profile.

Looks that way, which explains the knowledge level his comments reflect.
post #439 of 838
Zing...
post #440 of 838
Thread Starter 
This is important for Comcast customers who use cablecards - FCC ruling:

* CableCARD fees have to be the same for everyone, no matter which package you have.
* If your cable company allows any self installs, they must allow CableCARD self-installs.
* Cable companies must support SDV for CableCARD users -- this was implied before, now it is black and white.
* By default, all new deployments must be M-Cards (unless you actually request a S-Card).
* Cable companies can include an IP interface in set-top-boxes leui of a 1394 port.
* One way HD boxes without CableCARDs are no longer forbidden and they don't require IP interfaces.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1283562

It appears from reading the last bullet is that the FCC will now allow HD DTA boxes.
post #441 of 838
Yep, great news on the HD DTA front I think. The CableCARD changes are pretty minor, IMO, except for the self-install requirement. This could save customers some money as they won't have to pay for truck rolls. I also like that the cableCos cannot charge an STB price for a cable card rental.
post #442 of 838
Thread Starter 
Comcast in iy area renamed the STB charge of $9.25 on the first outlet to an HD technology fee (effective 10/15). If you have an STB their would be no difference in price however if you have a cable card I assume they will charge you this fee.
post #443 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

Comcast in iy area renamed the STB charge of $9.25 on the first outlet to an HD technology fee (effective 10/15). If you have an STB their would be no difference in price however if you have a cable card I assume they will charge you this fee.

Are you saying Comcast may start charging $9.25, or thereabouts, for my CCs instead of the $1.79 I pay now?
post #444 of 838
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Are you saying Comcast may start charging $9.25, or thereabouts, for my CCs instead of the $1.79 I pay now?

I don't have a CC but my daughter does - when she get's her next billl I will ask her. but from that statement it appears that is what they are saying. However if you have at least one HD cable box the charge will apply ti it rather than the rental charge.
post #445 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

I don't have a CC but my daughter does - when she get's her next billl I will ask her. but from that statement it appears that is what they are saying. However if you have at least one HD cable box the charge will apply ti it rather than the rental charge.

I hope not, I have no Comcast equipment(2 TiVos) and that charge will be a relatively large increase in the monthly bill.
post #446 of 838
Keep in mind that a cablecard is NOT an HD device. It is a decryption device. It is necessary to decrypt SD digital programs as well as HD programs.

It would be possible to subscribe to digital cable without subscribing to HD services. It doesn't seem appropriate to charge an HD Technology Fee for siimply having a cablecard.

I currently have Comcast and have undergone various HD upgrades. The HD Technology Fee is now on my rate sheet, but I am not being charged for it (yet?).

YMMV
post #447 of 838
Same here, and I also only have 2 Tivos (and a couple of free DTAs). I get charged $1.50 for the extra CC, and that's it. I can't see them charging me the HD Tech Fee because I'm not using their boxes, and HD channels are included in the tier otherwise.
post #448 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post

Keep in mind that a cablecard is NOT an HD device. It is a decryption device. It is necessary to decrypt SD digital programs as well as HD programs.

It would be possible to subscribe to digital cable without subscribing to HD services. It doesn't seem appropriate to charge an HD Technology Fee for siimply having a cablecard.

I currently have Comcast and have undergone various HD upgrades. The HD Technology Fee is now on my rate sheet, but I am not being charged for it (yet?).

YMMV

That's true, I had the CCs when I just had Limited Basic. And now that you mention it, I just looked at my latest rate sheet and it's there as well although we've never been charged for it, in fact, in this area they've dropped the additional outlet fees - they're on the rate sheet, but subs in the SF bay area not being charged for it, the local regional VP of Communications even told us they were dropping the fee.

Looking over the rate sheet, there's a lot of stuff listed there that I know has never been charged for in this area so I'm not so worried about that HD Technology.
post #449 of 838
Thread Starter 
Just to play the devils advocate Comcast could say based upon what has been authorize on your cable card you are getting HD channels and you should be paying the HD technology fee.

I hope you don't get charged but it could happen.
post #450 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

Just to play the devils advocate Comcast could say based upon what has been authorize on your cable card you are getting HD channels and you should be paying the HD technology fee.

I hope you don't get charged but it could happen.

Yes, but with Comcast, up until now anyway, not charging extra for HD and DIRECTV heading toward dropping their HD charge altogether(currently 2 years of no charge), I can't see where Comcast would start to enforce the charge, not with their direct competitor dropping theirs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Technical
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Comcast Technology Topic