Just received my HL-R5087W yesterday. I am completely blown away. I was up until 2AM watching Batman Begins on HBOHD (I think). HD looks incredible, DVDs upconverted to 720p rock, and even the crappiest of SD stations (DC Channel 20) looks quite good. Here are my connections:
Comcast HD DVR Set-Top Box
- Monster Coax In (FWIW)
- Monster Component Video to TV (will likely change to HDMI after I buy another cable and an HDMI switch/splitter)
- Audio Line Out to TV for normal viewing
- Optical Digital Audio to Sony 7.1 HT Receiver for Surround
Samsung Combo Upconvert DVD/Hi-Fi VHS Player
- Monster HDMI to TV
- Coaxial Digital Audio to HT Receiver (will likely change to Optical after I buy another cable)
- A/V Line Out to TV for VHS Playback
- A/V Line Out from TV to HT Receiver for VHS or OTA Surround
No Coax is touching this TV!
Also have the PS2 connected, but haven't tried it yet.
Haven't messed with the picture settings at all (it's set on Standard/Warm1 out of the box). The TV displays 4:3 content as-is, HD is full 16:9 glory, and DVD is dependent on the title (some -- like Finding Nemo -- go full 16:9, and some -- like The Incredibles and The Matrix -- are slightly letterboxed).
I am ecstatic that I got this nice of a TV for $1499 and free shipping. They appear to be sold out at TigerDirect now, but I highly recommend this unit if you can find it, especially for the first-time HD buyer. Even when it's turned off, it looks very nice in the room with that pedestal and all.
Yet another satisfied "Kirk" owner!!