or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sharp LC-45 OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD Part 2: FAQ/ Clayface issue...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sharp LC-45 OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD Part 2: FAQ/ Clayface issue... - Page 22

post #631 of 1318
I'm still trying to decide if my Gx6U has that issue or not.

At first, coming from a 32" CRT 800x600 (RCA 32MM110), it sure looked that way to me. The picture was decent but faces just looked washed. Like everyone had too much make-up on. Kind of the way a poor line doubler makes things look.

Now I've come to realize that the Sharp really doesn't do well on any source material that was 480i and got upconverted. The OTA stations around here all transmit 1080i but whether the material they're transmitting is upconverted from 480i or true high def is a function of the program you're watching (and sometimes the scene in that program, for things like the news).

Most HiDef prime time shows I believe are upconverted from film, and they look OK, not spectacular, but OK.

We have one local newscast that's shot with HiDef cameras and it looks stunning. The excess make-up look that you see with upconverted material essentially disappears. But when they cut to a scene shot with 480 stuff it looks like hell.

WMVHD stuff, which is natively 1080p as I understand it, looks stunning.

I'm wondering if what I'm seeing isn't just characteristic of having a display that's natively a progressive display. Or the fact that almost everything that's displayed on it had to get line doubled somewhere along the way because it was provided in an interlaced format.

Does anyone know how to check the firmware versions?

My serial number also starts with 506. I suspect that was about the end of the GX6U production run.
post #632 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfmax View Post

I'm still trying to decide if my Gx6U has that issue or not.

At first, coming from a 32" CRT 800x600 (RCA 32MM110), it sure looked that way to me. The picture was decent but faces just looked washed. Like everyone had too much make-up on. Kind of the way a poor line doubler makes things look.

Now I've come to realize that the Sharp really doesn't do well on any source material that was 480i and got upconverted. The OTA stations around here all transmit 1080i but whether the material they're transmitting is upconverted from 480i or true high def is a function of the program you're watching (and sometimes the scene in that program, for things like the news).

Most HiDef prime time shows I believe are upconverted from film, and they look OK, not spectacular, but OK.

We have one local newscast that's shot with HiDef cameras and it looks stunning. The excess make-up look that you see with upconverted material essentially disappears. But when they cut to a scene shot with 480 stuff it looks like hell.

WMVHD stuff, which is natively 1080p as I understand it, looks stunning.

I'm wondering if what I'm seeing isn't just characteristic of having a display that's natively a progressive display. Or the fact that almost everything that's displayed on it had to get line doubled somewhere along the way because it was provided in an interlaced format.

Does anyone know how to check the firmware versions?

My serial number also starts with 506. I suspect that was about the end of the GX6U production run.

i just got mine setup. its looking like clayface? but im using THE ISLAND DVD to test, maybe its just the way the movie is shot...?
post #633 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfmax View Post

When I boot my computer with the flat panel connected directly, Display Properties offers me 4 resolutions: 800x600, 1024x768, 1600x900, and 1920x1080. When I go to Advanced - Adapter - List all modes, I see those 4 (in various color depths) plus 640x480. But if I select 640x480 from there, the monitor won't lock up to it.

I understand what you are describing, but I assure you the display will take native 1280x1024 video signal and scale it full screen. The issue you are describing is nVidia card not realizing what video formats your display is capable of because the EDID information does not include anything other than 1920x1080. I don't have the energy right now to play tag with my nVidia board to provide better instructions on how to get 1280x1024 working. I don't remember the other mode it supported, either 1280x720 or 1280x768. I think the latter.

The way adapter scaling should work is all the standard resolutions you'd expect should be available to the application. When I get back from holidays I will try out some configurations.
post #634 of 1318
I suggest if you think you are seeing clayface, post some digicam photos (preferably higher resolution than AVS allows) and list the source information.
post #635 of 1318
heres a pic of my setup


and, can anybody check for clayface? i turned off the flash and shut the curtains in the room. the movie is Batman Begins DVD running off of a Philips DVP642 / progressive scan 480p. Thanks. (again unit is GX6U, serial starts with 506)

(bad focus sorry)


some more, these are closeups


sorry not good with taking pics.
post #636 of 1318
Looks fine to me, although it's kind of hard to tell given the low res images you've posted.
post #637 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablofreak View Post

and, can anybody check for clayface? i turned off the flash and shut the curtains in the room. the movie is Batman Begins DVD running off of a Philips DVP642 / progressive scan 480p. Thanks. (again unit is GX6U, serial starts with 506)

No clayface there. If there was, any dark shadow area would be a complete blob. If you want sharper pictures, try the WMV-HD 1080p video clips.
post #638 of 1318
thanks rugeekman and sfhub. i'm waiting for a gefen hdtv switch and will run a pc in there at 1080p when its here. thanks for the insights and happy new year
post #639 of 1318
Has anybody with the 45GX6U successfully connected to the RCA DVR2160 digital video recorder via iLink? I have heard that some Sharp LCD owners have, but I have not. My Aquos was one of the first delivered, and I have heard mention of firmware upgrades. Is this something I can get done? Thanks for any help.
post #640 of 1318
Hi all,
I have a Sharp LC-45GX6U and a HTM MX-800 remote. I've been trying to locate discrete power on/ power off codes. Does anyone know if this TV handles discrete power on/off? IF so, where can I locate the codes?
Thanks in advance,
JT
post #641 of 1318
Hi JT -

I got these off this forum - they work with my lc45-gd4u:

SHARP-AQUOS (1,50) Input1
0000 006d 0000 0020 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 068b 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 068b

SHARP-AQUOS (1,51) Input2
0000 006d 0000 0020 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 068b 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 068b

SHARP-AQUOS (1,52) Input3
0000 006d 0000 0020 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 068b 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 068b

SHARP-AQUOS (1,211) Input4
0000 006d 0000 0020 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 068b 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 068b

SHARP-AQUOS (30,129) PC Direct
0000 006d 0000 0020 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 068b 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 068b

SHARP-AQUOS (17,74) Power On(only)
0000 006d 0000 0020 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 068b 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 068b

SHARP-AQUOS (17,75) Power Off(only)
0000 006d 0000 0020 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 068b 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 001e 000a 0047 000a 068b

--Jason
post #642 of 1318
Whan I downloaded the MX-700/MX-800 new IR data base (dec 05) the discrete code for my 45GD5U were already in place.
post #643 of 1318
Hi Doug and Jason...thanks for the replies.

Doug, I tried the update before posting, but it seems that the codes that I have are not discrete. Both the on/off turn the set on/off. I'll reload the remote to try it again. I used the 45GX6 database file, maybe I'll try the 45GU5?

Jason, would you mind giving me a little help on what to do with the codes data you have. The only one' s I need are for the power, as the discrete inputs seem to work. Can I cut and paste the data into some file to be recognized by the MX-800 software? Not really sure what to do?! Thanks in advance.

John
post #644 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejensen View Post

Has anybody with the 45GX6U successfully connected to the RCA DVR2160 digital video recorder via iLink? I have heard that some Sharp LCD owners have, but I have not. My Aquos was one of the first delivered, and I have heard mention of firmware upgrades. Is this something I can get done? Thanks for any help.

if anyone can help out with this, i'm very interested to see if this is possible as well.
post #645 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyrone View Post

...
Can I cut and paste the data into some file to be recognized by the MX-800 software?
...

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the MX-800. I've got a Pronto Neo, and had to use a program called Neo Hacker to cut and paste the codes into the remote. I checked out the MX-800 software and didn't really see a place to do the same thing.

However, you might try searching the MX-800 forums and files at http://www.remotecentral.com. I see someone there has posted the disrete codes for the LC-37HV4U - those might work, and the forums could have a better solution.

Hope that helps -
Jason
post #646 of 1318
Thanks, Jason.
Will give it a try.
John
post #647 of 1318
im having a problem with my gefen unit, there are green-ish noise dots all over the place (especially on the side)

can i ask where you guys got your gefen unit? mine is a hdcp dvi switcher. i tried a different cable than the sharp one, its actually worse and all i got is noise.

do i have a defective gefen unit? i got it from ebay i guess its back to the seller it goes


never mind, i think it was a bad connection, it looks fine now. 1920x1080 is so pretty
post #648 of 1318
I ahve been an owner for two months now and everything is great and the picture quality is awesome. I do however have some issues/questions:

1. I would like to use the Sharp speaker as the center channel in my 5.1 surround sound setup. However the back of the AVC box only has a RCA input (not speaker wire) for the center speaker input. So I bought a RCA to speaker wire cord from Radio Shack and it still doesn't work. I have everything turned on in the menus as well. Any clue why this isn't working?

2. I have a HD camcorder with i.link output. I figured I might be able to use this to output right to the TV. Is this possible? or is this just for D-VHS. Also, The AVS box firewire input isn't 4-pin or 6-pin firewire. What kind of firewire cord would I need for this?
post #649 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBeer View Post

1. I would like to use the Sharp speaker as the center channel in my 5.1 surround sound setup. However the back of the AVC box only has a RCA input (not speaker wire) for the center speaker input. So I bought a RCA to speaker wire cord from Radio Shack and it still doesn't work. I have everything turned on in the menus as well. Any clue why this isn't working?

The TV expects a line-level input for the center channel speaker, not a speaker-level input. I'm not sure what the RadioShack cable you describe does, but unless it has an inline amplifier/attenuator it's not going to work. To use the TV speaker as a center channel, your receiver needs to have a dedicated center channel pre-out. If it does, you just run an RCA cable from the pre-out to your TV, configure your TV and receiver and you're all set.

What it sounds like you're trying to do is run a wire from your receiver's center channel *speaker* output to your TV. While it is possible to do this (using a line level converter, IIRC), it will never sound very good and has the very real possibility of blowing out your TV speaker if done improperly.

Long story short, don't do it unless you *really* know what you're doing.
post #650 of 1318
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBeer View Post


2. I have a HD camcorder with i.link output. I figured I might be able to use this to output right to the TV. Is this possible? or is this just for D-VHS. Also, The AVS box firewire input isn't 4-pin or 6-pin firewire. What kind of firewire cord would I need for this?

it IS a standard firewire connector (don't recall which) but I think it is only for a D-VHS deck
post #651 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by racekarl View Post

The TV expects a line-level input for the center channel speaker, not a speaker-level input. I'm not sure what the RadioShack cable you describe does, but unless it has an inline amplifier/attenuator it's not going to work. To use the TV speaker as a center channel, your receiver needs to have a dedicated center channel pre-out. If it does, you just run an RCA cable from the pre-out to your TV, configure your TV and receiver and you're all set.

What it sounds like you're trying to do is run a wire from your receiver's center channel *speaker* output to your TV. While it is possible to do this (using a line level converter, IIRC), it will never sound very good and has the very real possibility of blowing out your TV speaker if done improperly.

Long story short, don't do it unless you *really* know what you're doing.

Thanks.

It sounds like it isn't worth doing. I guess I should just breakout my old center channel speaker and I guess i could detach the Sharp speakers too.

What do other sharp owners do with their surround sound setups?
post #652 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

it IS a standard firewire connector (don't recall which) but I think it is only for a D-VHS deck

It is smaller than a 4-pin firewire.
post #653 of 1318
I'm doing computer-related things, so I can't speak to consumer devices, but the two i.Link ports on the back of the 45GX6U are indeed 4-pin IEEE1394 Firewire ports. I have successfully connected a 4-pin firewire cable into these ports, and AVC device is recogonized automatically by the connected computer.
post #654 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBeer View Post

Thanks.

It sounds like it isn't worth doing. I guess I should just breakout my old center channel speaker and I guess i could detach the Sharp speakers too.

What do other sharp owners do with their surround sound setups?

It's very, very easy to access the wires that lead to your Sharp's speakers. Just look, they run to little spring loaded terminal thingies just like you find on the back of most speakers.

I simply disconnected them there and hooked the wires into my stereo's center channel speaker output. Works fine.
post #655 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

Sharp told me the 1.31 firmware update for the GX6U was to address Cablecard issues

I have new DEC 2005 LC-45GX6U but cannot get the cablecard to work. Cox cable has tried 2 cards. Sharp sent local tech today and he tested digital tuner via antenna and it works. Sharp tech support on phone last week said that no firmware update was required. I get NO digital cable channels at all but analog is fine. Any ideas??
post #656 of 1318
Hi All,
HELP!!!!! I love the 45GX6U set I have, but one problem is driving me CRAZY. I have a MX-800 remote but CAN"T GET THE DISCRETE OFF to work. I've updated the software, but DISCRETE OFF works as a toggle, while discrete on works. Is this an issue unique to this TV or am I doing something wrong? Is there a TV menu setting to correct this? Can anyone confirm that their discrete off works only as OFF? Thanks for the help.
John
post #657 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBeer View Post

I ahve been an owner for two months now and everything is great and the picture quality is awesome. I do however have some issues/questions:

1. I would like to use the Sharp speaker as the center channel in my 5.1 surround sound setup. However the back of the AVC box only has a RCA input (not speaker wire) for the center speaker input. So I bought a RCA to speaker wire cord from Radio Shack and it still doesn't work. I have everything turned on in the menus as well. Any clue why this isn't working?

Hi,
The easiest way to do this is run the center speaker out directly to the TV speaker wires under the back panel. I hooked mine up in series (2 speakers on TV), but parallel may also work. Mine sounds fine.
John
post #658 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jts_VAB View Post

I have new DEC 2005 LC-45GX6U but cannot get the cablecard to work. Cox cable has tried 2 cards. Sharp sent local tech today and he tested digital tuner via antenna and it works. Sharp tech support on phone last week said that no firmware update was required. I get NO digital cable channels at all but analog is fine. Any ideas??

I'm on COX cable in Phoenix Arizona and the cablecard I got here works. In a period of 5 months, I've had 3 incidents where the cable-card seemed to lose some or all of it's channels, but contacting COX and having them "hit" the card again seemed to clear it up each time. I'm not sure if the hiccups were the fault of the TV, the card, or COX.

Phoenix
post #659 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyrone View Post

Hi All,
HELP!!!!! I love the 45GX6U set I have, but one problem is driving me CRAZY. I have a MX-800 remote but CAN"T GET THE DISCRETE OFF to work. I've updated the software, but DISCRETE OFF works as a toggle, while discrete on works. Is this an issue unique to this TV or am I doing something wrong? Is there a TV menu setting to correct this? Can anyone confirm that their discrete off works only as OFF? Thanks for the help.
John

I don't remember for sure, but I believe if you send discrete off within a few seconds of the set turning off, it will turn back on, but if you wait a little (maybe 5 seconds, ie after the fans shut down), it functions as discrete off.

To me, discrete on is far more important to work all the time than discrete off. Discrete on gets sent all the time in my macros when I switch between DVD, cable, PVR, etc. modes, while discrete off usually just gets sent once when the whole system shuts down.

For me, discrete on works great.
post #660 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablofreak View Post

im having a problem with my gefen unit, there are green-ish noise dots all over the place (especially on the side)

can i ask where you guys got your gefen unit? mine is a hdcp dvi switcher. i tried a different cable than the sharp one, its actually worse and all i got is noise.

do i have a defective gefen unit? i got it from ebay i guess its back to the seller it goes

never mind, i think it was a bad connection, it looks fine now. 1920x1080 is so pretty

i actually have this problem again... anybody help?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sharp LC-45 OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD Part 2: FAQ/ Clayface issue...