or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › Panasonic 8th generation PWD commercial displays now available:)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic 8th generation PWD commercial displays now available:) - Page 21  

post #601 of 630
I saw a post in here indicating that you can't adjust aspect ratio on this set if you're using component inputs, that you need to run s-video for 4:3.

Is that true? Deal killer for me if it is. The family is already ticked at the complexity of the HT. :) Having to switch inputs simply in order to go from 16:9 to 4:3 stations is not a good thing.
post #602 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB
I saw a post in here indicating that you can't adjust aspect ratio on this set if you're using component inputs, that you need to run s-video for 4:3.

Is that true? Deal killer for me if it is. The family is already ticked at the complexity of the HT. :) Having to switch inputs simply in order to go from 16:9 to 4:3 stations is not a good thing.
Not true. The aspect ratio is only fixed if the panel is being fed a HD (720p or 1080i) signal. If the panel is getting 480i or 480p, you should be able to change the ratio.
post #603 of 630
Hi Everyone..

I tried to do search to get the differences b/w the two HDMI blades avail, but couldn't find it.

So, does any know the differences b/w the TY-FB7HM and the TY-FB8HM? Bruzzi - I figure you might know best..

I have a "7UY" coming soon and I already ordered a "7HM" blade with it.

Thanks.
post #604 of 630
The TY-FB7HM supports 480/60p, 575/50p, 720/60p, 1080/60i, and 640x480@60Hz.

http://www.remc.org/files/items/241.1.pdf
post #605 of 630
My first post on ANY message forum EVER. It's all new to me.

I'm looking to purchase a Panasonic 42" Display. I've narrowed it down to the TH-42PHD8UK
Does anyone know a reputable and cost effective online authorized dealer? I can't find a local (San Diego CA) plasma dealer that knows jack squat!

I can't believe all the horror stories I've read.

Sorry if this is out of line with the thread continuity. Truth is I've only visited one other message forum. I'm not that computer / online savvy.

THANKS!!!!
post #606 of 630
Boltnut,
Try the Visualapex link at the top of the page. Also TV Authority and Plasma Concepts. They all have great reputations on this forum.
post #607 of 630
Well, now Visual Apex shows the HD 7UYs as discontinued and the HD 8UKs for sale. Heeeeeere we go!
post #608 of 630
When watching the 8UK I'm noticing on some scene with vertical blinds and mini blinds a funky moving wave pattern on the blinds. What is that and can it be adjusted? Also noticed on another scene the middle of a window which had a pane running up the center, the pane was a broken line that kept attempting to straighten out. It's all very distracting.
post #609 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruZZi
The TY-FB8HM accepts different signal formats than the TY-FB7HD.



.
Check Out the all-new BruZZi's Panasonic Plasma FAQ
The FAQ plus links to Plasma Stands, Wallmounts, Murals, Lifts, Speakers, Frames, Bezels & More.
Also links to Audio/Video Faqs, Comparisons, News, Reviews, Shootouts, Tutorials, Tweaks & Many More.
I see that the TY-FB8HM doesn't take 1080p, but the TY-FB7HD does. Should I be getting the TY-FB7HD if I'm getting a new TH-42PHD8UK? Why the discrepancy between these blades?
post #610 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeshong
I see that the TY-FB8HM doesn't take 1080p, but the TY-FB7HD does. Should I be getting the TY-FB7HD if I'm getting a new TH-42PHD8UK? Why the discrepancy between these blades?
Most likely you are not going to have a signal at 1080p to send to your 8UK for a while to come. Even then, the plasma displays 720p and not full 1080p, so there's no "real" reason to require 1080p via HDMI at this point. That being said, I bought the TY-FB7HM anyway... :)

EDIT: Edited for clarity of 7th gen HDMI card model number.
post #611 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by chill903
Most likely you are not going to have a signal at 1080p to send to your 8UK for a while to come. Even then, the plasma displays 720p and not full 1080p, so there's no "real" reason to require 1080p via HDMI at this point. That being said, I bought the TY-FB7HD anyway... :)
Yeah, I understand all these points, but I just want the card to at least accept the signal and downconvert it. I assume this is why you got that blade, too? Just the peace of mind?

Even though I'll never SEE 1080p on the panel, I'd at least like to have a blade that accepts it.
post #612 of 630
Anyone have the TY-FB8HM or TY-FB7HM in stock? It looks like this might be in a transition phase. That is, the older HDMI card seems to be out of stock everywhere, and the new one not available yet?
post #613 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeshong
...I just want the card to at least accept the signal and downconvert it. I assume this is why you got that blade, too? Just the peace of mind?
Exactly.
post #614 of 630
In clarification to previous posts, the ty-fb7hm is the old hdmi card whereas the ty-fb8hm is the new one. the ty-fb7hd which accepts 1080p is the hd-sdi card, this is not hdmi, and it works with both the 7uy and 8uk models

Even if in the future 1080p becomes the norm it would not make a difference in the pq that you receive since you won't see the 1080p on your plasma based on the screen's native resolution, the image is going to be down-converted regardless. The only difference is that if the board doesn't accept 1080p, then the image will be down-converted at your cable box, whereas if the board were to accept 1080p it would be down-converted at the plasma, the picture would likely turn out to be the same quality either way, based on the assumption that the scaler of your cable box is of a good quality.

.
post #615 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by psteele
In clarification to this and previous posts, the ty-fb7hm is the old hdmi card whereas the ty-fb8hm is the new one. the ty-fb7hd which accepts 1080p is the hd-sdi card, this is not hdmi, and it works with both the 7uy and 8uk models.
Okay, so then if the TY-FB7HD is an HD-SDI card, I can't plug an HDMI cable into it? Say, one coming from a DVD player?

So if I'm getting a new TH-42PHD8UK, which card should I get since I want to have the panel accept HDMI (the idea being that I'll someday get an HDMI switching receiver)?

And how, if at all, will my panel only being 768 lines vs. 1080 affect my ultimate PQ?
post #616 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeshong
Okay, so then if the TY-FB7HD is an HD-SDI card, I can't plug an HDMI cable into it? Say, one coming from a DVD player?

So if I'm getting a new TH-42PHD8UK, which card should I get since I want to have the panel accept HDMI (the idea being that I'll someday get an HDMI switching receiver)?

And how, if at all, will my panel only being 768 lines vs. 1080 affect my ultimate PQ?
That is correct, HDMI can't be connected into the HD-SDI card. If you want to recieve HDMI with your 8uk, you should get the ty-fb8hm.

As far as your panel's resolution being 768 lines of resolution rather than 1080, the difference would lie in the amount pixels rows your plasma can display. It's basically a measure of detail, not necessarily picture quality. If you are more than a couple feet away from your plasma, you would likely not know the difference in the amount of detail. For those that view in progressive mode, with 720p being the current standard, a panel with 768 lines of resolution gives you better pq since there is less scaling required to match the screen's resolution.
post #617 of 630
I found info on the new PHD8UK model on inoa. So far the diff. I see is 4000:1 instead of 3000:1, 25% less power usage, and no speakers. I am torn between 3 plasma's -- I need help determining which one to buy. Help!!! anyone, please.

I have surround speakers and use Comcast cable. I don't care about PIP or the card slot. I want the best picture and bang for the buck.

TH-50PHD8UK
TH-50PX50U
TH-50PX500u

Also, I need a new digital receiver and ceiling speakers. I have old AR (Acoustic Research) floor speakers and am wondering if I should replace them or not. My Center channel is Infinity.

For A/V receiver, I prefer more base. My old Marantz fried. Looking at Yamaha, Denon, and Onkyo. Any recommendations?

I'm not an a/v poweruser. Just want a reasonable TV and surround system.
post #618 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmang
I found info on the new PHD8UK model on inoa. So far the diff. I see is 4000:1 instead of 3000:1, 25% less power usage, and no speakers. I am torn between 3 plasma's -- I need help determining which one to buy. Help!!! anyone, please.
That information is incorrect. The HD 8UK models have the same contrast ratio as the consumer models: 3000:1.
post #619 of 630
Tk you for your response. You can't always believe what the etailers tell you. I copied this from the inoax website:

The TH-50PHD8UK 50 Inch HDTV Plasma TV boasts Panasonic’s phenomenal image quality, exceptional 4000:1 contrast ratio, multi-slot functionality and an impressive 60,000-hour service life.

Does anyone have an opinion on which is the best bang for the buck between the 3 models I listed?
post #620 of 630
I was also told that the new model has 2 HDMI instead of just 1. Can you please verify if this is correct or not? Thx
post #621 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmang
Does anyone have an opinion on which is the best bang for the buck between the 3 models I listed?
The picture will be the same for all three. They have the same "guts." The only difference is the connections - for the 8UK, you'll need to buy blades to use DVI, etc. Comes standard with PC and Component (BNC) inputs. The others have speakers, tuners, cablecards etc. The 500u adds PC input and SD slots and the EPG (electronic programming guide).

If you're using your own sound system, I'd say the 8UK is the best "bang for the buck," but that's my opinion (and why I'm getting one this week).
post #622 of 630
Tks for your opinion - much appreciated. Can you please explain what blades are to use DVI (and what DVI means). Sorry -- my learning curve has been pretty high on shopping for a new TV. And, is my assumption correct that with a digital receiver and surround speakers, why pay more for those being built into the TV? I have no plans to use with my PC, so it does look like the 8UK will save me money. Are they shipping it yet? May I ask where you purchased yours?
post #623 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie
That information is incorrect. The HD 8UK models have the same contrast ratio as the consumer models: 3000:1.
right, but as a matter of clarification, while the PHD models have 3000:1 aspect ratio, the PWD models have 4000:1
post #624 of 630
I had to make some calls, but I understand now. The PWD models with 4000:1 are only on sizes smaller than 50". I, however, am only looking at 50" which only comes in the high def, thusly, PHD model which is 3000:1 as you say. The specs are wrong on that one website. Thx for the info. I still can't decide on the 500U vs the 8UK, but have eliminated the consumer model 50U which is the only one I can get through brick & mortar stores.

If anyone knows of someone who can install & set up a Panasonic plasma in the Denver area, please advise.
post #625 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmang
Tks for your opinion - much appreciated. Can you please explain what blades are to use DVI (and what DVI means). Sorry -- my learning curve has been pretty high on shopping for a new TV. And, is my assumption correct that with a digital receiver and surround speakers, why pay more for those being built into the TV? I have no plans to use with my PC, so it does look like the 8UK will save me money. Are they shipping it yet? May I ask where you purchased yours?
DVI is a video connection. It offers an all-digital connection that many claim is superior to component video or other such connections. The DVI connection is built-in to the consumer models, but you need to buy a "blade" or a connector for the commercial models (i.e. 8UK) that runs ~$150 if you want to use that connection. I'm going to use component cables, so the commercial model as-is is fine for me.

I ordered mine from Visual Apex, one of the forum sponsors. One of the best prices around and a great reputation to boot. I have to pay sales tax because they're also in WA, but I'll be able to pick it up on Thursday or Friday this week and save on the shipping charge.

Good luck on your decision.
post #626 of 630
We are within days of the release of the new HD Panasonic 8UK!!

8th generation Panasonics here
post #627 of 630
We are within days of the release of the new HD Panasonic 8UK!!

8th generation Panasonics here
post #628 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo
So Im shocked, the TH-50PHD7UY is one of the most popular plasmas around and only one person posted a response to my question. Not I am not thankful for the poster chiming it, but as he said he is only taking a guess at what the model number might be of the replacement 8th generation for the TH-50PHD7UY.
Any other info anyone could offer would be great.

Thanks
Davyo
search for 50PHD8UK, several threads...
post #629 of 630
Threads Merged!

Dave
post #630 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesrocky
I think that the panel is the same as the one on pd50 (costumer product). If you want to see how it looks any any retail chain should have one!
Pansonic commercial website says this about 8UK's:

"Up to 2,048 shades of gradation (4,096 shades via HDMI or DVI connection) - New Advanced Real Gamma System and up to 14-bit signal processing provide superior performance at brightness levels where the human eye sees best"

Consumer site specifies only the usual 2,048 shades.

14-bit processing (4,096 shades) seems to be something new. Maybe same glass, but different electronics?!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › Panasonic 8th generation PWD commercial displays now available:)