or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Blazing Ridge Cinema construction has begun!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blazing Ridge Cinema construction has begun! - Page 136

post #4051 of 4397
Bud, I cant remember, but I thought I read in your tgread where you built speaker boxes out of MDF. I want to do this in wall for my speakers, instead of building columns. Would it be a good idea for my sides and rears with the mdf or ???
post #4052 of 4397
Thread Starter 
Dseal,

Thought about buying them, then had a hard time finding them. I found info to build them, but then just decided to go without them. Pretty happy with the result and sound containment wasn't an issue, so not a big deal in my case. What speakers are you talking about going with?

Bud
post #4053 of 4397
I haven't researched them yet, I originally planned on mounting them on the walls. I like the look of my cousins in walls but i am concerned with the sound escaping.
post #4054 of 4397
Thread Starter 
Rumors about my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Been quiet, so here's a quick update to some of my New Year's resolutions...

1. Close to pulling the trigger on a Panasonic AE3000. In fact, I went ahead and order the new Chief interface bracket for my existing Chief mount. Basically, this the plate that attaches to the projector and then allows me to use the existing Chief mount. It's the meat part of the sandwich. This will give me the low profile mount still and hopefully won't have to monkey with the projector box at all. I tried to think ahead for upgrades when I built it, but what might get me is the thickness of the projector. Will probably order the projector next week.

2. Closing on my cabin on March 2. Will post some pictures of the place later, but there are a few options for a home theater there, at least of some sort. I'll have a shiney new (well... a new lamp at least) AE900 to use there, so I may be to come up with some sort of solution. I don't have a good room in the basement there, two weird rooms to work with. More later.

Bud
post #4055 of 4397
Bud

I have also been keeping an eye on that projector since the news of it.let us know how much better it is over the ae900.

Larry
post #4056 of 4397
Long time no chat Bud..... I'm on the prelim hunt for something to replace my 900 as well. Seems like there are a ton of good choices in the $2500-3500 range. Gotta figure out how to convince the wife about this one.....
post #4057 of 4397
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryep View Post

Bud

I have also been keeping an eye on that projector since the news of it.let us know how much better it is over the ae900.

Larry

Absolutely. See you got your camera working!

Bud
post #4058 of 4397
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodshook View Post

Long time no chat Bud..... I'm on the prelim hunt for something to replace my 900 as well. Seems like there are a ton of good choices in the $2500-3500 range. Gotta figure out how to convince the wife about this one.....

Jerrod,

Just think, just two years ago or so, the AE900 was 2K! I always went with, "I can sell the other (projector"" to reduce the costs. Besides, you must be racking up the lamp hours. Why put another 300.00 into a new lamp?

Bud
post #4059 of 4397
Yes some of the better pics are from my girlfriends camara.
lookin foward to the review!
post #4060 of 4397
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryep View Post

Yes some of the better pics are from my girlfriends camara.
lookin foward to the review!

Ok, this just sounded bad lol.
post #4061 of 4397
Wooops!
post #4062 of 4397
Thread Starter 
Ordered my AE3000 today, should be here Tuesday ....

Bud
post #4063 of 4397
I'm jealous, I would love a 3000. Will be a great addition to your theater. Do you plan to repurpose the 900?
post #4064 of 4397
Bud,

Are you going to be changing your screen to take advantage of the 3000's aspect feature?

Ditto on Jealous - new PJ is not in my immediate future but the money I've been spending on my cat lately is getting close to the price of a new PJ

Cheers,
Mark
post #4065 of 4397
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

I'm jealous, I would love a 3000. Will be a great addition to your theater. Do you plan to repurpose the 900?

May try and put in in the cabin (closed a on 3/2) in the basement since I have an extra lamp for it. We'll see.

Bud
post #4066 of 4397
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Bud,

Are you going to be changing your screen to take advantage of the 3000's aspect feature?

Ditto on Jealous - new PJ is not in my immediate future but the money I've been spending on my cat lately is getting close to the price of a new PJ

Cheers,
Mark

Chewing on the idea, I don't have much more width, so I'll think through that. Maybe I'll got ATS as well. Want to see what this thing will do.

Sorry about the cat, been there before with other animals.

Bud
post #4067 of 4397
congradulations on the new purchase. Can't wait for your review.reading the good reviews on the ae3000, I think you are on the verge of a great upgrade in video quality.

Larry
post #4068 of 4397
Thread Starter 
Should be here tomorrow, hopefully I can get it hung tomorrow night.

Bud
post #4069 of 4397
Just went back and reminded myself of the design and construction of your front wall. With that projector you really owe it to yourself to rebuild your front end and put a 2.35:1 Pfeiffer sheerweave 4500 screen. (less than $200).

A little framing and putting up some new fabric, then a DIY screen frame, stretch and staple the screen fabric. Something you could do in two weekends easy.
post #4070 of 4397
Thread Starter 
Big,

I am definitely considering it. Wanted to see what this puppy will do. The Pfeiffer sheerweave, isn't that the original SMX material? I could then repurpose the AE900 AND the Carada.... hmmmm......

Bud
post #4071 of 4397
Basically yes. RE: Shearweave.

I looked at your wall and thought you might not gain much width but may lose a little height. Then again the screen might be a bit closer to the eyes, so the immersive effect could be improved especially for scope material. Plus the audio benefits.
post #4072 of 4397
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Basically yes. RE: Shearweave.

I looked at your wall and thought you might not gain much width but may lose a little height. Then again the screen might be a bit closer to the eyes, so the immersive effect could be improved especially for scope material. Plus the audio benefits.

You're right, probably wouldn't gain any width at all. I have to do the math and the dimensions.

Bud
post #4073 of 4397
Thread Starter 
Projector has arrived and is waiting patiently for daddy to return home and fire it up.

Bud
post #4074 of 4397
You, my friend, are going to experience the LONGEST afternoon imaginable.
post #4075 of 4397
My understanding is that the Sheer weave is what Ruben started with until he had them do something in a custom weave. It is also the fabric that Seymour AV was using although they now have something new. Here is a place you can but it by the yard.

http://www.interiormall.com/cat/nsam...=113044&t=2182

DC I don't understand the comment that Bud will not be gaining much because I assume He dismantles and rebuilds the screen wall with the screen extending into the area now reserved for the speakers.
post #4076 of 4397
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

DC I don't understand the comment that Bud will not be gaining much because I assume He dismantles and rebuilds the screen wall with the screen extending into the area now reserved for the speakers.

I thought he might have to give up some image height to gain scope width.

He has a 100" Diag, which is 87 x 49 viewable. His room is 11.5 feet wide. Trim and boarders will take up at least 6", so say 132 inches is his new width. 132 / 2.35 = 56" (156" diag), so my first impression was wrong. If he stays at 49" of height, he could go as much as 115" wide or about 125" on the diag.

I see an upgrade coming.
post #4077 of 4397
Thread Starter 
Randy, you have no idea. Plan is to

1. Leave here (work) about 5:30.
2. Arrive home by 6:30.
3. Eat before 7:00.
4. Kids to bed by 8:30.
5. Hang the projector by 9:00.
6. Check operation, options, etc.
7. Maybe get a movie in by 9:30.
8. Get some Zzzs about 11:30
9. Begin my conference call at 2:00 AM (don't ask).

Bud
post #4078 of 4397
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Randy, you have no idea. Plan is to

1. Leave here (work) about 5:30.
2. Arrive home by 6:30.
3. Eat before 7:00.
4. Kids to bed by 8:30.
5. Hang the projector by 9:00.
6. Check operation, options, etc.
7. Maybe get a movie in by 9:30.
8. Get some Zzzs about 11:30
9. Begin my conference call at 2:00 AM (don't ask).

Bud

Well it is 2:30 on the west coast so Bud should be leaving for home. Still has four more hours until blast off..........
post #4079 of 4397
Dinner time ...... wonder what he had
post #4080 of 4397
Thread Starter 
Pastrami! After all, it is St. Patrick's day!

Everything done according to schedule and I'm even a few minutes early. Projector went up quick, I had to put on the new plate for the Chief mount and move the mount to the original position (centered). I went ahead and and fired her up and got it all setup, popped in "Hitman" and just got finished. Projector has an excellent picture, is easy to setup and is extremely quiet. It's a keeper!

I did not mess too much with the menu options, nor did I do anything with the settings for a scope movie. I did enough to get a picture on the screen on let her rip. More info to come as I get more time with it. Right now I have to get a few hours of sleep before the call (now at 3:00 AM).

Bud
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Blazing Ridge Cinema construction has begun!