or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › New Theater FINALLY Complete!!!! - Self Designed - Pictures Inside.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Theater FINALLY Complete!!!! - Self Designed - Pictures Inside. - Page 4  

post #91 of 139
Sounds like good reasoning to me.. One other question that came to mind and is pretty general, but certainly applies to a theater as great as this one (where essentially very minimal compromises were made):

If you could build it again, what would you have done differently?
post #92 of 139
You may have answered this elsewhere (its been a while since I've been in here) and I almost hate to even ask it for fear of being lambasted by both sides of the issue, but...

[flame suit on]

In a theater that is done out this well, with complete light control, why did you decide to go with a digital projector (albeit a very NICE digital projector)?

[flame suit off]
post #93 of 139
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltimj
Sounds like good reasoning to me.. One other question that came to mind and is pretty general, but certainly applies to a theater as great as this one (where essentially very minimal compromises were made):

If you could build it again, what would you have done differently?
Hmm.....Right now I have a bit of a cooling problem in the equipment room, so that would be my first order or business to have planned for that better. I didn't think the electronics would make that much heat. But with 2 racks full of stuff, I was wrong. Oh well, it can be worked around.
Other than that, I honestly can't think of anything. Not to be cocky, but this theater was in the planning stages for over a year before we ever broke ground, so virtually every day I was on AVS taking notes. Fortunately that has helped me to make it as optimal I can think possible, at least with my level of expertise.
post #94 of 139
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr
In a theater that is done out this well, with complete light control, why did you decide to go with a digital projector?
Personal preferance. Also CRT would be difficult to mount in this room with the 12' ceiling where it would have to hang down. That would look very awkward with that huge thing hanging down. Is it a reference picture, probably not, but I am very happy with the picture nevertheless.
post #95 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeeK
Hmm.....Right now I have a bit of a cooling problem in the equipment room, so that would be my first order or business to have planned for that better. I didn't think the electronics would make that much heat. But with 2 racks full of stuff, I was wrong. Oh well, it can be worked around.
What are you using for cooling right now? Is it simply ductwork to the rack space, fans, etc? Where are the fans/ductwork located, etc.. By the way, thanks for sharing about your theater... it will certainly help those of us building them!
post #96 of 139
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltimj
What are you using for cooling right now? Is it simply ductwork to the rack space, fans, etc? Where are the fans/ductwork located, etc.. By the way, thanks for sharing about your theater... it will certainly help those of us building them!
Right now I only have rack fans. Not enough I found out. The garage is directly adjacent to the theater/equip. room, so I will probably have some type of fan installed that just vents directly out to the garage. Fortunately it's hopefully an easy fix, but still one that I should have planned better for.
post #97 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeeK

2) Center Channel is above the screen mounted in the wall, then covered with GOM. Unfortuantely no access to his speaker unless we take down the screen the the GOM material. Technically I could get to it from the other side, which is the garage side if I really had to w/o distroying the theater.
May I ask why you decided on locating the center channel above the screen versus directly behind a perforated screen?
post #98 of 139
Stunning, Simply stunning! Thanks for sharing it with others!

Dave
post #99 of 139
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by richh
May I ask why you decided on locating the center channel above the screen versus directly behind a perforated screen?
Easy. I wanted a Vutek Silverstar screen and it is not made in a perforated version.
post #100 of 139
Very nice, love the woodwork.
post #101 of 139
Thanks, Rajeek for the answer. Digital is certainly easier to deal with than the three eyed monsters. Also, I know what you mean re: hanging down. My ceiling is 10' and I had to hang my Marquee down from the ceiling to get it within its specs for keystone correction. I used threaded rods in channel struts and it isn't that bad (only down a foot or so). Yours would have been another 2 feet off the ceiling, though.

Again, awesome job.
post #102 of 139
Thanks for all the feedback. Your room is an inspiration for all. I'm in the "planning" stage for mine as we speak. My goal is to have it completed by Superbowl so I can watch it in HDTV. Then, follow that up with a movie (undecided right now).

BTW -- what was "the movie" you chose to showcase first?

Steve
post #103 of 139
OMG! That theater is amazing. When I joined this forum, I was expecting just people who have a big HDTV, with some good speakers.

Needless to say, I saw this.


FANTASTIC JOB.
post #104 of 139
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevesTivo
Thanks for all the feedback. Your room is an inspiration for all. I'm in the "planning" stage for mine as we speak. My goal is to have it completed by Superbowl so I can watch it in HDTV. Then, follow that up with a movie (undecided right now).

BTW -- what was "the movie" you chose to showcase first?

Steve
My wife and I watched Spiderman II first. Needless to say....we were hooked after that. Our 3 yr. old is now addicted also. All day long he keep saying movie, movie, movie....oh well, so it goes. Starting the little ones early on HT.
post #105 of 139
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogo111
OMG! That theater is amazing. When I joined this forum, I was expecting just people who have a big HDTV, with some good speakers.

Needless to say, I saw this.


FANTASTIC JOB.
Hey we all have to start somewhere and that is exactly where I started...with a panasonic 56" HDTV and some B&W speakers. I had that setup for almost 5 years before we moved up to this.
post #106 of 139
Its been months since I have browsed thru the fourm and I just wanted to also say awesome job!
post #107 of 139
very amazing, i do love the woodwork...ah to have a house as nice as that room
post #108 of 139
nm. double post
post #109 of 139
WOW! Incredible!!

Quote:
Hey we all have to start somewhere and that is exactly where I started...with a panasonic 56" HDTV and some B&W speakers. I had that setup for almost 5 years before we moved up to this.
That's great perspective AND inspiration for our next house! (or maybe the one after that...)
post #110 of 139
Beauty!
post #111 of 139
Rajeek,
How did you sound isolate your recessed ceiling cans? That's my dilemma right now on a new home I'm building. I still have a while before that stage, but I want to plan correctly.
post #112 of 139
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscholl
Rajeek,
How did you sound isolate your recessed ceiling cans? That's my dilemma right now on a new home I'm building. I still have a while before that stage, but I want to plan correctly.
They are sealed cans and the ceiling is fully packed with insulation. Also the upper floor of the house has 1 1/2" of concrete poured on it, which dampens sound better than any other sealing of the lights that I could do. That being said, w/o the concrete they could certianly be a weak link for sound leakage if that is not an option for you. Unfortunatly I am not really an expert on sealing lights any further than getting sealed cans. Maybe others have suggestions or a search on the topic could provide more info.
post #113 of 139
Rajeek,

I apoligize if this has already been answered somewhere in this thread: Where did you get the electrical putty pads that you used to help soundproof your electrical boxes?

thanks. Bill
post #114 of 139
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchbill
Rajeek,

I apoligize if this has already been answered somewhere in this thread: Where did you get the electrical putty pads that you used to help soundproof your electrical boxes?

thanks. Bill
Here ya go. You should also be able to get them at any electical supply house. Just ask for Fire Stop Putty Pads, 3M also makes them.

You can go to http://www.acousticalsolutions.com and click first on the left hand side where it says "Order Online". Then on the top row click where it says "sound blocking materials" and then click on the far left row where it says "firestop putty" to get a better idea of what they look like. You can also order from them.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
post #115 of 139
Holy Crap!!!!! Normally I just lurk, but after stumbling across this had to register and post to say NICE NICE WORK. Best I've seen on this forum yet and truly an inspiration.
post #116 of 139
Most impressive indeed sir.
post #117 of 139
I wanna see it DESPERATELY, but the site http://home.pacbell.net/rajeek/theater.html is not working for me.

??? :(
post #118 of 139
brings a tear to my eye...(because mine doesn't look like that!) Great job. :rolleyes:
post #119 of 139
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I wanna see it DESPERATELY, but the site http://home.pacbell.net/rajeek/theater.html is not working for me.
Thanks again all. Didn't realized this had been ressurected. Not sure why it is not working for you "rajdude," may want to try it again. Seems to work fine for me. Any further questions or comments, just shoot.
post #120 of 139
RajeeK,

Do you happen to have a pic of your ceiling? It looks like it is coffered with black drywall between the coffers. Did you do stars up there?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › New Theater FINALLY Complete!!!! - Self Designed - Pictures Inside.