or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › NHL done deal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NHL done deal - Page 7  

post #181 of 567
It's "permanent". At least as permanent as anything can be in the nu-NHL. The thought process is that they want to create more division rivalries and get away from the other rivalries that have built up over the last 75 years. I'll see if I can dig up the article over on TSN.ca that talks about it.

Laughing over what a terrible marketing guy Bettman is,
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman27
I agree about the schedule being weak. I am not sure if this is just because of the Olympics this season or a permanent thing.
post #182 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceblade
Other than the idiotic addition of shootouts so that every game has "winner". What a crock.
No argument here. I hate shootouts.

Quote:
And the new scheduling is a complete and utter joke. Little to no opposite Conference games. Playing your own division teams EIGHT times a year.
Actually, for the Northeast division this works well, particularly for the CBC. Toronto and Ottawa have developed a pretty good rivalry, and Buffalo has also been a good draw. Montreal / Toronto is as old a rivalry as there exists in professional sports, and can probably trace its roots to the Hundred Years' War in the late 1300's ;)

If only we could get Detroit into the Northeast, the Leafs rivalry collection would be complete!

Ross
post #183 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbb1226
On this one, I am certain you are wrong. True rivalries (Wings/Avalanche notwithstanding) are rarely about the players on the roster, and even more rarely about "immature" anything. And, if you really believe that fighting in hockey is always a result of immaturity, you should probably learn more about the game.
The Wings are the ONLY western conference team EAST of the Mississippi. Do you think they should be in the EASTERN conference?

8 games w/Nashville, and 8 w/Columbus. Boy oh boy, that should be some excitement!

Whether skeptics agree or disagree, unfortunately, fighting is apart of the game. Some like it, some don't. I'm about 45% for and 65% against.
post #184 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by iotp
The Wings are the ONLY western conference team EAST of the Mississippi. Do you think they should be in the EASTERN conference?

8 games w/Nashville, and 8 w/Columbus. Boy oh boy, that should be some excitement!
Detroit is not the only Western Conference city east of the Mississippi. There are the aforementioned Columbus and Nashville teams, and an Original 6 team in Chicago. While I'd prefer having more road games within my own time zone, I don't necessarily advocate re-aligning the conferences again. I understand why they are what they are. I would, however, prefer a more balanced schedule that lets my team play more games against the Eastern Conference, and particularly against traditional rivals like Toronto and Montreal.

We have no real way of knowing right now whether Nashville or Columbus (or Detroit, for that matter) will have an exciting team. I also don't want to leave the impression I hold any ill will for the cities themselves. Again, I'd just prefer a more balanced schedule.
post #185 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by iotp
Whether skeptics agree or disagree, unfortunately, fighting is apart of the game. Some like it, some don't. I'm about 45% for and 65% against.
Well, I'm 110% :p for fighting. It's a much better system of regulating against the unskilled players' system of cheap stick work than uneven officiating.

Shootouts are fun. I'm glad they're not in the playoffs, as they're no way to settle a game, but there's no denying the excitement of a good shootout. Ties suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbb1226
Again, I'd just prefer a more balanced schedule.
You've gotta make up your mind here. A schedule full of division-based games will only create rivalries. You bemoan the loss of rivalries, then complain that we'll be playing too many games against the same teams. I'm looking forward to having my Canucks take on (and beat) the Avalanche 8 times this year. Bring it.

As to Nashville, with the addition of Kariya, they shouldn't be boring this year. At least they won't need to all be on walkers like your dead Wings. :p
post #186 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_mal
Well, I'm 110% :p for fighting. It's a much better system of regulating against the unskilled players' system of cheap stick work than uneven officiating.
Correct. I guess this goes to show, even somebody who obviously knows nothing about which he speaks gets it right sometimes. ;) Keep in mind, though, that the proposal of the league is that more consistent officiating will be imposed this season and negate the need for fighting. We've heard that one before....

Quote:
Shootouts are fun. I'm glad they're not in the playoffs, as they're no way to settle a game, but there's no denying the excitement of a good shootout. Ties suck.
I could not disagree more emphatically. Shootouts may be fun for your over-30 team pick-up games or the pee-wee leagues, but a tie is infinitely more preferrable to deciding a professional hockey game by shootout. It is patently unfair to totally discount 65 minutes of hard skating and strategizing against the opponents' strengths and weaknesses, only to settle it by a completely different type of game that emphasizes only a couple of the skills involved in the game of ice hockey.

Quote:
You've gotta make up your mind here. A schedule full of division-based games will only create rivalries. You bemoan the loss of rivalries, then complain that we'll be playing too many games against the same teams. I'm looking forward to having my Canucks take on (and beat) the Avalanche 8 times this year. Bring it.
My mind is made up. More games do not a rivalry create, IMO. Rivalries develop on their own, often outside the confines of the division, and can't be forced. The league has been around for 75+ years, and that history means something to some of us. I would like to see the NHL give each team at least one home game against every other team in the league, so fans get at least one chance to see every team. Failing that, they ought to keep intact the old rivalries by allowing them to play at least once a season.

Quote:
As to Nashville, with the addition of Kariya, they shouldn't be boring this year. At least they won't need to all be on walkers like your dead Wings. :p
Did you see Kariya in action at Colorado in 03-04? You call that excitement? Right. :rolleyes:
post #187 of 567
Breaking Ice: Humbled NHL Woos Back Fans

By NEIL PARMAR Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL August 8, 2005; Page B1

Returning to the ice after a 16-month absence caused by a labor dispute, the National Hockey League faces a new challenge: winning back disgruntled fans. The NHL's answer? Overwhelm them with kindness.

In advance of the dropping of the puck in the first games Oct. 5, hockey teams have slashed ticket prices and, in some cases, handed out thousands of free tickets, something rarely seen in professional sports. Teams have taken out full-page ads in newspapers thanking fans for putting up with the lockout. And in an effort to lure new followers, the league is giving the game a make-over with a series of rules changes, a classier-looking logo and the working slogan: "A Whole New Game."

For the first time, the National Hockey League and the NHL Players' Association have entered into a joint marketing partnership in an attempt to woo fans. The two entities, which usually operate separately, will craft a "nontraditional, very aggressive" ad campaign, an NHL spokeswoman says, noting that details are still being finalized.

"The worst thing we could do for hockey is to dwell on what happened this year," says Charlie Jacobs, executive vice president of the Boston Bruins. Rather than continue apologizing to fans, "We have to talk about our players, our game ... and [build] the excitement over our product," Mr. Jacobs says.

To court unhappy fans, some teams are cutting ticket prices. The Montreal Canadiens have set aside about 4,800 tickets -- 23% of the total available -- that will sell for US$24.72, a sharp discount to the usual price. Teams in struggling markets, where the sport has failed to draw large crowds, are being even more aggressive. The Buffalo Sabres, for instance, have cut ticket prices 12% to 28%, the largest one-time reduction in the team's 36-year history.

The Anaheim Mighty Ducks has a new outreach program to get young school kids interested in the game by introducing them to players and handing out free tickets to games. The California team is also relying on a few gimmicks to boost early-season sales: People who buy two tickets get two more free, while season ticket holders will receive free food and parking at the first three games. "Everybody has to do what works in their market," says Tim Ryan, executive vice president and chief operating officer of the team.

Indeed, without a new playbook, hockey faces a dim future. TV audiences for hockey games had been shrinking in the U.S. well before the lockout, according to Nielsen Media Research. Even in Canada, where the NHL first formed in 1917, the lockout managed to help erode a previously solid fan base. Since 2003, the number of Canadian sports fans older than 12 identifying hockey as one of their favorite sports has dropped to 55% from 68%, according to Solutions Research Group Consultants Inc.

In addition to the discounts and freebies, NHL "teams must take on an unprecedented service mentality" by retraining customer-service employees to better handle disgruntled fans, says Robert Cornilles, president of Game Face Inc. The Tualatin, Ore., consultancy is working with six NHL teams to recruit new employees for in-house marketing efforts. It is also coaching some of its players on how to win back corporations that used to sponsor teams.

"Anyone can take out a newspaper ad, but the human touch is what corporate sponsors and fans need right now," Mr. Cornilles says.

Some teams have gotten a jump-start. Throughout the lockout, the Boston Bruins management ranks combed through blogs and emails and met with their season ticket advisory board and focus groups made up of fans. Mr. Jacobs says the top complaint across the league, was that players -- some of whom frowned on giving interviews and autographs -- "had become inaccessible" before the lockout. Now, some kinder, gentler teams are planning meet-and-greet sessions and celebrity hockey clinics to lure back their followers.

What's more, the NHL has already begun tapping its rising star. Last weekend, a number of events were held in Ottawa to show off young players recently signed to NHL teams. The main attraction: 18-year-old Sidney Crosby, a rookie from Nova Scotia who recently signed endorsement deals with Reebok International Ltd. and PepsiCo Inc.'s Gatorade. Mr. Crosby, known by sports commentators and fans simply as "The Next One" (in reference to Wayne Gretzky, "The Great One"), has become quite literally, the poster boy for the new season.

Other teams are overhauling their entire image. The Phoenix Coyotes have doubled their advertising budget and hired a marketing firm to conjure up a new slogan, Web site and ad campaign, says Douglas Moss, the team's president and chief operating officer.

To attract new and younger fans, the NHL is even jazzing up some of the game's rules. The new emphasis will be on "entertainment, skill and competition," according to the league. Attack zones will be expanded to quicken the pace of the game, and goalie equipment reduced to make it easier for players to score. A "shootout," which has long been popular during Olympic hockey games and in videogames spun off from the NHL, will determine the winner if a game remains tied after five minutes of overtime.

"The essence of hockey has not changed since the 1940s and we hope [these changes] are going to help," says Chris Botta, a spokesman for the New York Islanders. "We need to win over new fans. The entire sport does."
post #188 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbb1226
It is patently unfair to totally discount 65 minutes of hard skating and strategizing against the opponents' strengths and weaknesses, only to settle it by a completely different type of game that emphasizes only a couple of the skills involved in the game of ice hockey.
Hear, hear! There's nothing wrong with a tie. It leaves something to settle the next time the two teams meet. Both teams get a point for their hard work. Consider it the hockey equivalent of splitting a golf hole in match play.

As for using a shootout to settle a tie, here's some suggestions for other sports that can't break a deadlock in regulation:

1. Baseball. After 10 innings, have a home run hitting contest. Bobby Abreu will make a billion on the free agent market.

2. Football. After 4 quarters + one OT, have a field goal kicking contest. Start at the 35, and move back 5 yards at a time until one side misses. Buffalo fans will love this one!

3. Basketball. After 4 quarters + one OT, switch to a slam-dunk contest. Vince Carter can start contributing to the W column again (sorry -- we're still bitter up here).

4. Soccer. After regulation + injury time, have a penalty kick contest. Put the ball close enough to the goal keeper such that he has to flat-out guess which way the ball is going to be kicked.

Oh wait, scratch that last one... bad example.

Ross
post #189 of 567
Ross,

That was quite possibly the most poignant illustration of the idiocy of the shootout that I have ever read. Cheers to you for putting it in words even a five year old can understand. Though I think something like a game of "H-O-R-S-E" would be closer to the NBA analogy. Actually... more like "Dr. J vs. Larry Bird" for Commodore 64 is closer than that. Though the thugs in uniforms nowadays are a far cry from those players of the past. But I digress... :)

In summation...
Scheduling sucks
Shootouts suck
Rule changes for the most part are good/great
Parity to the lowest common denominator sucks

But I'll still be front and center when the puck drops on my "Dead Wings". :rolleyes:
post #190 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf
I know in Boston you do not need extended basic in order to get digital cable and the lowest tier digital classic includes those Briuins home HD games.

I am not sure what theyt do in DEtroit.
Last season the NHL played, local affiliates had blackout 'power' over HDNet. Thus, I was never able to watch the Sabres play live in HD, home or away, since Empire covered all games. My concern is that it won't get changed.

Mr. Cuban, when I asked via email, replied that 'we're working on it'.

It's Bettman's call. I'm not holding my breath.

And on the other stuff:

1) I like the divisional matchups. I miss being excited about seeing Buffalo play Montréal, Boston, and TO. Now they're just No Big Deal.

2) Shootouts are lame. Expect teams to exploit loopholes for this- if a team has a crushing defensive "style" a la NJ, you can look forward to a dead game in the event of a tie, then they bring out the snipers for the shootout. This, IMO, is even worse than the "point for losing in OT" nonsense.

3) Not holding my breath about rule enforcements either. We've seen this one many times before...
post #191 of 567
Regarding HD Coverage in Detroit.... I don't think they ever had any in the last couple seasons. They played once or twice on HDNET... but only for "away" games at Carolina... and I can't recall the other place. My understanding was that UPN50 that carries the games in Detroit isn't setup for HD broadcast (at least at that time) anyway, so even if they got the cameras and trucks to The Joe, you'd have to count on some other broadcast to see the game in it's glory.

IIRC, the Kings and the Blues seemed to be on HDNET alot in the past.

Regs,
Jeff
post #192 of 567
Do any of you guys play hockey?

I believe with the new rule changes there will be higher scoring games. The more goals being scored the less chance of a tie occuring. Two years ago, 2002-2003 season I believe it was there were a ton of tie games. As a hockey player of both ice and inline nothing is more frustrating than a tie. A tie makes you feel like you played a whole game for nothing. Unless you are in a tournament or playoffs to keep moving to the next level I would rather have a true winner than a tie. I would rather win, but I am serious when I say I would rather lose than have a tie.

I understand the point of saying the shootout undermines 65 minutes of play. I have seen so many times low scoring games like 2-2 go into overtime yet one team played far better than the other but the goalie saved the other team. Ties don't always mean both teams played equally well, so many times the goaile may be the deciding difference. With 4-4 overtime and the newer open ice and rules thus the likelihood of more goals being scored, shootouts may not occur that often anyway to be an issue.



Detroit fans who were bitching about the road schedule to the west being difficult should embrace the new schedule.

The new changes and rules are here. If you don't like them I understand but you may as well embrace them as you cannot change them. The NHL had to do something. Based on where hockey was going and the fact that even long time fans had dwindled, NHL hockey could not survive on its old fan base. It needs to draw new spectators in and if it had to depend on the hardcore fans like you and I, the NHL would have died. Unfortunately we were not enough to support it. They are calling it "a whole new game" and in many ways I hope and think it will be, but I hope it will be for the better.
post #193 of 567
Shootouts are an embarassment to the game.... Just an awful idea IMO.

I'll live with the other rule changes, until I can judge for myself, but the shootout is awful.

As for HD, I'll get the Devil games on Cablevision.

I've only seen a few College games so far, but Hockey in HD is incredible.
post #194 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMiesterNJ
Shootouts are an embarassment to the game.... Just an awful idea IMO.

I'll live with the other rule changes, until I can judge for myself, but the shootout is awful.

As for HD, I'll get the Devil games on Cablevision.

I've only seen a few College games so far, but Hockey in HD is incredible.
I wonder if you ever watched IHL or similar games in-person where shootouts occur. Embarrassment is a stong word you'll no doubt change your mind on. With marty in net, devils fans such as ourselves get a few points a year ;)

I think the shootouts are great personally, and will add some excitement to a sport that is dead on TV.
post #195 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc
Do any of you guys play hockey?
Yes, as a matter of fact... ice for the last 2 years and roller for the previous 4 or 5. I have a tournament starting this Friday night. Thanks. :)

As a Detroit fan that is complaining... it's not JUST the fact that I get to watch 24 games worth of God awful Nashville, Chicago and Columbus... it DOES have alot to do with the lack of seeing Toronto or Montreal or the Rangers or nearly every Original 6 rival worth playing. Yes, that would somewhat be addressed by a move to the East... but God only knows what cluster**** Bettman would create to make that happen. Maybe stick Boston in the West... yeah, that makes good Bettman Sense.

Anyway... I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on shootouts. I'm as competitive as the next guy... and moreso than most, but I'll take a tie over a loss ANY DAY. I'll never forget last seasons's finals for my team. We tied the game 6-6 with 4 seconds to go. Played the OT to scoreless tie... .and then... the dreaded shootout. It took 11 skaters before a goal was scored... and it was the dude that sucked the worst for their team that could barely stand up and hadn't had a point in like 4 seasons.... he somehow manages to get the puck to crawl across the line and wins the game. Did I feel gypped? Hell yeah. Would I have rather played 5-5 for another period or six to truly get a winner... ABSOLUTELY. Shootouts suck. I don't care if you're at the peewee level or in the old sh*ts league (as we call it in our rink). Reducing the team sport down to a one on one contest that requires little more than luck in many cases is a travesty.

Have a good season,
Jeff
post #196 of 567
I try to limit my IHL watching only to times I feel the need to make the stereotypical saying "I went to a boxing match and a hockey game broke out" a reality. :)

I'd rather watch college hockey ANY day vs. the IHL games.

That being said, I don't disagree with your point about shootouts possibly bringing in new fans. And who knows... maybe it will get hockey on Sportscenter for 0.0000003457 more seconds than it used to be. That exposure should buy the NHL about 27 more fans. :rolleyes: (That's more a cut on Sportcenter than on the NHL. )

Regs,
Jeff
post #197 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceblade
Yes, as a matter of fact... ice for the last 2 years and roller for the previous 4 or 5. I have a tournament starting this Friday night. Thanks. :)

As a Detroit fan that is complaining... it's not JUST the fact that I get to watch 24 games worth of God awful Nashville, Chicago and Columbus... it DOES have alot to do with the lack of seeing Toronto or Montreal or the Rangers or nearly every Original 6 rival worth playing. Yes, that would somewhat be addressed by a move to the East... but God only knows what cluster**** Bettman would create to make that happen. Maybe stick Boston in the West... yeah, that makes good Bettman Sense.

Anyway... I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on shootouts. I'm as competitive as the next guy... and moreso than most, but I'll take a tie over a loss ANY DAY. I'll never forget last seasons's finals for my team. We tied the game 6-6 with 4 seconds to go. Played the OT to scoreless tie... .and then... the dreaded shootout. It took 11 skaters before a goal was scored... and it was the dude that sucked the worst for their team that could barely stand up and hadn't had a point in like 4 seasons.... he somehow manages to get the puck to crawl across the line and wins the game. Did I feel gypped? Hell yeah. Would I have rather played 5-5 for another period or six to truly get a winner... ABSOLUTELY. Shootouts suck. I don't care if you're at the peewee level or in the old sh*ts league (as we call it in our rink). Reducing the team sport down to a one on one contest that requires little more than luck in many cases is a travesty.

Have a good season,
Jeff

I know it isn't easy when playing and ending in tie only to be thwarted by a shootout. I personally do not take part in shootouts as I am not an avid goal scorer, I am more of a defensive player, bluntly I sucked at shootouts and trying to score on the goalie 1-1.

Having said that I actually love playing hockey more than watching. As much as I love watching the NHL , I would rather play than stay home and watch a game, unless of course we are talking about going to an actual NHL game.

Have a good season too Jeff, it is an awesome sport.
post #198 of 567
Yeah... I'm no offensive juggernaut... but comparatively speaking, I'm usually number one or number two on the team in terms of points and goals. So I was one of the shooters in the game. I totally flubbed the backhand right into the goalies pads. Don't THINK I didn't see THAT shot for the next week on instant replay in my pea brain. :)

Meanwhile... the game winner featured the 55-60 year old shooter falling on his face as he shot the puck... which SOMEHOW trickled under the best netminder in the leagues pads. Not easy to take. Worse when the other team shakes your hand and says things like "ouch.. you guys shouldn't have lost like that". Did I mention we scored three goals in the last 3 minutes to make it 6-6? Yeah... that felt good. :)

Is it puck dropping time yet??!?!?!?!?

Regs.
Jeff
post #199 of 567
And Bertuzzi's back! This season's going to ROCK.
post #200 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc
Do any of you guys play hockey?
I'm a Canadian. We're fitted with our first pair of skates before we leave the maternity ward.

Quote:
I believe with the new rule changes there will be higher scoring games.
As for the appeal of higher scoring games, I believe the important "excitement" stat is shots on goal rather than goals scored. Don't muck around with the net & goalie equipment to make scoring easier, instead make rule changes to make shots on net easier. Some of the new rules are doing just that, which I find encouraging. Oh, and teach the kids to take a shot from the point for crying out loud rather than make one too many passes (where is Al MacInnis when you need him? http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...31/ai_96194014)

...oh and pray that Sidney Crosby brings to the game the kind of playmaking excitement a certain young lad (and future Phoenix coach) from Brantford, Ontario did back in the '80's...

Ross
post #201 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa
Even in Canada, where the NHL first formed in 1917, the lockout managed to help erode a previously solid fan base. Since 2003, the number of Canadian sports fans older than 12 identifying hockey as one of their favorite sports has dropped to 55% from 68%, according to Solutions Research Group Consultants Inc.
More details here: http://www.srgnet.com/news/_globeandmail_jul27_05.html

I dunno. The longer article states that no other sport really picked up the hordes of disgruntled hockey fans. I think those stats will rebound once there's some action on the ice. Perhaps not a 100% rebound, but a rebound nonetheless.

...the article did mention a pick-up in auto racing interest. NASCAR has been making noises about having a race on this side of the border, but that's a topic for a different thread!

I wonder if we can adopt NASCAR's "lucky dog" rule to the NHL... someone get me Bettman on the phone!

Ross
post #202 of 567
You bet... I believe the number is 1-800-JACK-ASS :)

Too bad GB didn't get run out of town like BG did. Hey... I just realized those two guys have opposite initials. Who says you don't learn stuff posting on internet forums. :)

We'll see what Crosby brings to the big boys game. The new rules SHOULD make players like him alot more exciting to watch since they shouldn't be draped in 6'5, 240lbs defenseman as they try to cross the blueline to get into the zone.

As for the comment someone made about shrinking that pads being a BAD thing. Did you ever catch one of the specials on goalie pads that they ran on TSN? It is UNREAL how overgrown those pads have gotten in the last 20 years. Imagine what a Terry Sawchuk could have done with pads that covered nearly 60% of the net without him even MOVING. Besides, it's not like they're shrinking to the size of soccer shinguards here.

Once again, elite, talent laden goalies will rise to the occasion, while the overgrown troglodytes who's only skill was being HUGE will fall by the wayside without their gargantuan pads to rely on. IMHO, of course. :)

Regs,
Jeff

PS - Oh good God... don't even GO there with Neckcar. Could there be a bigger waste of high definition broadcast? Wow... look at how much clearer you can see them turn left, Jim-Bob-Delroy! :rolleyes: Go back to the trailer park, Jim-Bob-Delroy.

PPS - No offense to any Jim-Bob-Delroys that might be reading this. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross in Toronto
More details here: http://www.srgnet.com/news/_globeandmail_jul27_05.html

I dunno. The longer article states that no other sport really picked up the hordes of disgruntled hockey fans. I think those stats will rebound once there's some action on the ice. Perhaps not a 100% rebound, but a rebound nonetheless.

...the article did mention a pick-up in auto racing interest. NASCAR has been making noises about having a race on this side of the border, but that's a topic for a different thread!

I wonder if we can adopt NASCAR's "lucky dog" rule to the NHL... someone get me Bettman on the phone!

Ross
post #203 of 567
TSN is reporting that Comcast will be getting the NHL for the next two years and will be using OLN to show the games.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132876

Can Comcast get OLN-HD up and running for this season or is that a pipe dream?

EDIT:

Link to original story out of Philly, no real mention of HD plans other than speculation though.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/12337268.htm
post #204 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petteri
TSN is reporting that Comcast will be getting the NHL for the next two years and will be using OLN to show the games.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132876

Can Comcast get OLN-HD up and running for this season or is that a pipe dream?

EDIT:

Link to original story out of Philly, no real mention of HD plans other than speculation though.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/12337268.htm
Any announcement on NHLCI-HD yet?
post #205 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross in Toronto
...oh and pray that Sidney Crosby brings to the game the kind of playmaking excitement a certain young lad (and future Phoenix coach) from Brantford, Ontario did back in the '80's...

Ross
Ross...Mr. Crosby just convinced me to splurge on my first Penguins season ticket plan last week...WOOHOO!!!! GAME ON! :D :D :D

Mario, flanked by Sidney and Ziggy...I haven't been this excited in a while. Even old man Lemieux is excited.

Now if Mellon Arena doesn't cave in I'll be set. Dump.

Iceblade...Usually the people that make the "back to the trailer park" comments regarding NASCAR are actually the ones with the level of class that they're insinuating race fans have. I'd expect that out of an elitist golf snob or something...not a hockey fan. Heck...there are more mullets on one NHL team than in the Nextel Cup, Busch series and Craftsman Trucks COMBINED.

VROOM VROOM baby.

No offense, of course. ;)
post #206 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross in Toronto
More details here: http://www.srgnet.com/news/_globeandmail_jul27_05.html

I dunno. The longer article states that no other sport really picked up the hordes of disgruntled hockey fans. I think those stats will rebound once there's some action on the ice. Perhaps not a 100% rebound, but a rebound nonetheless.

...the article did mention a pick-up in auto racing interest. NASCAR has been making noises about having a race on this side of the border, but that's a topic for a different thread!

I wonder if we can adopt NASCAR's "lucky dog" rule to the NHL... someone get me Bettman on the phone!

Ross
I don't know about all this. Calgary is already completely sold out of season tickets for the upcoming hear. That is something that hasn't happened in 10+ years.
post #207 of 567
WTH does this mean?

Quote:
Comcast would televise games nationally twice a week. On one of those nights, Comcast would retain exclusivity in U.S. markets as the only game available on TV at that time.
No regional or center ice on that day? Similar to Saturday afternoon's and baseball? That is awful, if true.
post #208 of 567
That would be terrible. I wouldn't watch that game and I wouldn't be able to watch the team I want to watch on the other coast. I would end up watching less hockey this way. Those who get center-ice should have choice of games every night and as much hd as possible. I have been able to get past not having hockey for a year but to have a tv setup like baseball is unacceptable.
post #209 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudot
WTH does this mean?



No regional or center ice on that day? Similar to Saturday afternoon's and baseball? That is awful, if true.
Comcast means no HD...Comcast means OLN, which on D*TV means "sports pack" extra charge (not available in Total Choice)...Comcast means LITTLE NHL exposure to new, potential fans...Comcast means NHL STUPID (once again)!! :mad:
post #210 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudot
WTH does this mean?
NHL Center Ice in HD

<Dr. Evil>No? I was just trying it on...</Dr. Evil>
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › NHL done deal