or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Paradigm Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 53

post #1561 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipside927 View Post

Hey guy i need some recomendations. I'm really new to this and this is my first theater system. I just recently picked up a Paradigm Cinema 70 CT 5.1 speaker system and an Onkyo TXSR504B Receiver. Now I have no clue what kind of speaker wires I need to buy. I was told the lower the gauge is like 12 is better.

I'm planning on getting these :
12AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Cable - 100ft
from Monoprice.

Also for the woofer.. its pretty far from the receiver so i need somehting long. the connection on the woofer is an L/R audio and in the receiver was just one plug and I dont know what kind it is. Any help would be appreciated thanx in advance!

How far are the speakers going to be from the receiver? and how far is "pretty far" for the sub?
post #1562 of 30073
well since i'm gonna make the wires run along the wall the furthest speaker would need 40ft of wire to the receiver and the woofer about 50ft since it goes around the room.
post #1563 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by KERMIE View Post

Want to get some opinions

I can buy the following all new. Just want to see if this is a good deal.

2 -Studio 40's
1- CC-570
4- ADP-470's

Total Cost

$3825.00 from dealer

I am a newbie on this and don't want to get screwed over, atleast not too bad...lol

Thank you,

Thats not too bad of a deal, retail is $4400 for that package. The only 2 problems I see is...

1) No sub....or do you have that already?

2) You have half of your money into the surrounds. A little steep and unnecessary if you ask me. If you have a budget set around $4K AND you do need a sub, then I would modify your choices with the following....

Studio 20's for the front
Studio CC570 for the center
ADP470 for the side surrounds
Studio 20's for the rear surrounds
And a PW2100 for the LFE

That would bring you roughly to the same retail pricing as you were previously.
If budget is tighter or maybe get a better sub, then nothing wrong with 4 Studio 20's for the surrounds, hell, even Minis or Titans are not a bad choice.

Of all the speakers in a given system, I feel the center and subwoofer are the biggest players in a HT setup....but thats just me.
post #1564 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipside927 View Post

well since i'm gonna make the wires run along the wall the furthest speaker would need 40ft of wire to the receiver and the woofer about 50ft since it goes around the room.

50'? Cant say I ever sold or seen a 50' sub cable. Most are 25' for the longest.
You may want to re-think where you want to place the sub as I'm sure you can find a closer location without any real problems. And please dont mention WAF.

Oh, and most cables will include a 'Y' connector for dual inputs on the sub.
post #1565 of 30073
Quote:


Your way of thinking is get a lesser product so that you can buy both the AMP and Pre/Pro at the same time.

Still the better option, in my opinion..

It's taken me 10 years to get my Studio 60 fronts..

Getting a better functioning HT, with all the neccessary components, is better than having a gaping hole missing..

Just my 2 cents..
post #1566 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 View Post

50'? Cant say I ever sold or seen a 50' sub cable. Most are 25' for the longest.
You may want to re-think where you want to place the sub as I'm sure you can find a closer location without any real problems. And please dont mention WAF.

Oh, and most cables will include a 'Y' connector for dual inputs on the sub.

i actually just found this at mono:

High-quality Digital Coaxial Audio RCA Cable M/M RG59U 75ohm Gold connector S/PDIF Subwoofer - 50ft.

and are the speaker wires i mentioned earlier good for my system?
post #1567 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipside927 View Post

i actually just found this at mono:

High-quality Digital Coaxial Audio RCA Cable M/M RG59U 75ohm Gold connector S/PDIF Subwoofer - 50ft.

and are the speaker wires i mentioned earlier good for my system?

Yes, all of the wire / cable you have chosen will do just fine. I wouldn't go under 12 gauge for the speaker wire at the length you are looking at. I also use a coaxial RCA for my sub (and all my interconnects for that matter).
post #1568 of 30073
Kermie, My bad! I just now realized that you had 4 surrounds in that qoute.

Also when I went to get a qoute from the dealer, I told them that i would be paying in Cash and they dropped the sale's tax....So if your paying via check or cash let them know and maybe that will help with the deal too.


AM
post #1569 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by am4966 View Post

Kermie, My bad! I just now realized that you had 4 surrounds in that qoute.

Also when I went to get a qoute from the dealer, I told them that i would be paying in Cash and they dropped the sale's tax....So if your paying via check or cash let them know and maybe that will help with the deal too.


AM


AM, Thanks for the help---I did edit the pricing.... I also will take note of the cash deal ...can't hurt to try..

Yosh---------I do have a ML Grotto Sub purchased from a friend to work into this. just to clarify..

thanks again..
post #1570 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by am4966 View Post

WHY? If your wanting to get model A and know that you wont be happy with model B, but model B comes with a Sub. They will buy Model A and get the sub down the road.

Look at it like this, some people will get a AMP then buy a Pre/Pro down the road due to cost. Your way of thinking is get a lesser product so that you can buy both the AMP and Pre/Pro at the same time.

AM

Precisely for the reason that Doug stated -- so you don't have a gaping "hole" in the quality of your system for a while.

Assuming one is going to be using the system for HT, 60s and sub will sound much better than 100s alone, no contest, for the same price. Given that most Paradigm dealers have an upgrade program, it doesn't matter financially which route you upgrade. So you might as well go the route where your system will sound better in the interim period.

Oh, and believe it or not, I've heard of the "budget" concept. I even use it myself.
post #1571 of 30073
Finally received my new Studio 60s this week. Yesterday I played around with different placements, and got curious results.

I had trade a pair of Studio 20v3s for these to go with the 570 center and (future) 470 di/bi-poles. They, along with a boxy CRT Pioneer HD-RPTV, are on the short wall of my 14' x 23' non-dedicated HT room (AKA the family living room). A Rotel 1055 receiver drives all speakers.

I had chose the 60s over the 100, not only due to cost, but also because of the fact that I had trouble finding the right spot for my 20s, without a mid to upper bass boom. I figured the 60s, with twice as many ports, would give me more of a fit, and the more bass heavy 100s just wouldn't work, due to how close they would be to the rear and side walls.

What is surprising me is that the 60s aren't showing any of the same bass problems, even when backed up to the minimum 8" from the back wall, and as close as 16" from a side wall! Not only that, also the imaging doesn't seem to suffer that much when the speakers are pulled behind the front plane of the RPTV, as long as I have a couple of feet distance between speaker and TV.

So why the heck would a bookshelf speaker, with less bass response, be harder to place then a full range, with more drivers and ports?

Next I plan on trying my Aragon 8008BB power amp on the 60s. When I tried it on the 20s, the sonics were too different to use, along with the Rotel receiver driving the center. Maybe it will work together this time.
post #1572 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome View Post

Finally received my new Studio 60s this week.

Next I plan on trying my Aragon 8008BB power amp on the 60s. When I tried it on the 20s, the sonics were too different to use, along with the Rotel receiver driving the center. Maybe it will work together this time.

Congrats on the purchase!

Please post the results of the Aragon test.
post #1573 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGZ28 View Post

Congrats on the purchase!

Please post the results of the Aragon test.

Looks like it going to work out.

I have to clarify. The last time I compared the Rotel to the Aragon was when I first got the 20v3s, before I had the 570 center. The Rotel was installed in an A/V closet, driving 45' Liberty Ultra Cap 12/4 speaker cable. The Aragon was in between the speakers; hooked up to RCA to XLR converting trannys, 45' balanced cabling, and short speaker cables.

Lots of variables there, the sonics were different enough to where I didn't bother to test again when I purchased the center.

This time I skipped all the audiophool stuff, install the 8008BB in the same closet as the Rotel, and used the same Liberty cable and simple unbalanced interconnects.

We rented "The Island" for a second time last night, to test things out. When we first watched it, I had just set up the Studio 20s, and the constant bass drumming in the soundtrack made the improperly set up 20s boom their butts off!

This time the bass was tight and accurate, although I still had to turn the sub down a touch. The chase scenes and helicopter fly byes sounded fine transitioning between the L/C/Rs using the two different amps.

The Aragon doesn't have the same treble roll off as the Rotel, so I set the 60s further back from the center and adjusted the time delay on the receiver. This seems to help quite a bit. And if the 60s break in like my old 20s did, the tweeters will smooth out even more.

Edit 7/17: Well I switched it back to all speakers on the Rotel . Due to years of dealing with miss-matched speakers on miss-matched amps, I started to hear the same problems with the Aragon/Rotel combination, mainly uneven sound levels and dynamics, probably due to a miss-match of sensitivity ratings of the two amps. Guess I will be able to use the Aragon on my IB system after all...
post #1574 of 30073
I asked this in the home theater forum, and it almost started WWIII.

But I thought I would see what Paradigm owners say.

If you have 2 rows of seating, where do you place Paradigm ADP surrounds? I will be using the ADP 470s (to match my Studio 20s and CC470)?

Note that I am not talking about the rear surrounds in a 7.1 set-up (the back wall) -- I am ONLY talking about the side surround positioning in a 7.1 set-up (the side wall).

With 2 rows, do you pick one row and optimize the sound for that row? Or do you line up the ADPs somewhere between rows?

Note that my room will be 20 feet long. The 1st row will be at about 11 feet from the screen. The 2nd row (ears in that row), will be at roughly 15 feet.

I will use the 1st row more. So do I just put the side surrounds next to the 1st row or what?

So what do you guys do?
post #1575 of 30073
I'm planning the purchase of Paradigm Titans. Given various placement constraints I need to ceiling mount the rear speakers. I am going to use Omnimount 20.0s. However, due to the odd recessed channel in the back of the Paradigm Titans, the Omnimounts will be difficult to use b/c the mounting plate is wider than the channel and therefore cannot be easily attached.

Has anyone gotten the Omnimount 20.0s to work with the Titans, or does anyone know of a comparable ceiling mount that will work?

Right now I am seriously considering cutting down the width of the mounting plate with some sort of metal cutting tool, such as a dremel.

Any advice on how to solve this problem?

-Eric
post #1576 of 30073
I have been using Studio 20s v2 as my LRC for about six years and I am a happy camper except for periodic bouts of upgradeitis. The only issue I have on my existing 20s is that on some material they can a smidge bright for my taste. I wonder if that has been addressed on vr3. In any case I am going to upgrade my 2.1 system which is now Paradigm Mini Monitors and a Rocket UFW-10 sub. The Studio 20 v3 is on my short list of speakers to replace the Mini Monitors. Has anyone had a chance to compare v2 to the v3 or can comment on the audible differences between the two versions?

Many Thanks,
Nick
post #1577 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

If you have 2 rows of seating, where do you place Paradigm ADP surrounds? I will be using the ADP 470s (to match my Studio 20s and CC470)?

Note that I am not talking about the rear surrounds in a 7.1 set-up (the back wall) -- I am ONLY talking about the side surround positioning in a 7.1 set-up (the side wall).

With 2 rows, do you pick one row and optimize the sound for that row? Or do you line up the ADPs somewhere between rows?

Note that my room will be 20 feet long. The 1st row will be at about 11 feet from the screen. The 2nd row (ears in that row), will be at roughly 15 feet.

I will use the 1st row more. So do I just put the side surrounds next to the 1st row or what?

So what do you guys do?

With bi/dipoles, definitely put them next to the primary listening row. Ideal listening area is in their "null field", straight out from the speaker, since the drivers are firing to the sides. With 7.1, the rears should mesh well enough with the sides to provide an acceptable listening experience for the 2nd row. With direct radiating speakers, I would put them between rows, slightly closer to the primary row.
post #1578 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltimj View Post

With bi/dipoles, definitely put them next to the primary listening row. Ideal listening area is in their "null field", straight out from the speaker, since the drivers are firing to the sides. With 7.1, the rears should mesh well enough with the sides to provide an acceptable listening experience for the 2nd row. With direct radiating speakers, I would put them between rows, slightly closer to the primary row.


Note that I will be using direct speakers for the back surrounds (Atoms). Do you still think the 2nd row will have an acceptable listening experience?

I'm wondering if the 2nd row will hear pans going from back to front (like a helicopter fly over correctly)? Or will it sound weird?
post #1579 of 30073
Monitor 9 Fronts
Monitor 3 Rears
CC370 Center
Sony A/V Reciver (90watts) (I will upgrade this soon)
PW-2100 sub
Yamaha DVD-S657

My current plan is to keep the sony for my movies and tv, but get a NAD C162 and a NADC272, and a Yamaha CD Changer. Plug the 9's into the c162 and have a true, dedicated, seperate audio system. Of couse, the Monitor 9's will stay as my fronts for av as well.
post #1580 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Note that I will be using direct speakers for the back surrounds (Atoms). Do you still think the 2nd row will have an acceptable listening experience?

I'm wondering if the 2nd row will hear pans going from back to front (like a helicopter fly over correctly)? Or will it sound weird?

It depends how far the 2nd row is from the back wall. In your case, 5 ft should be enough room to disperse sufficiently. The only way to know for sure, though, is to put them in your room and try them out.
post #1581 of 30073
Anyone care to recommend a good setup for a rectangular shaped room in 5.1? Measurments would be 15x25 most likely with the setup forming a square within the rectangular room. Ive demoed paradigm studio speakers and series 100's but it was all in ideal settings and my apartment is hardly ideal. Therefore i figure i would trust those using them more. Im after clarity and not loudness. The reason I ask is that my first inclination would be to overkill and go for biggest best when that would most likely end up not being optimal for my room. Fire away, any response is appreciated.
post #1582 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatti-man View Post

Anyone care to recommend a good setup for a rectangular shaped room in 5.1? Measurments would be 15x25 most likely with the setup forming a square within the rectangular room. Ive demoed paradigm studio speakers and series 100's but it was all in ideal settings and my apartment is hardly ideal. Therefore i figure i would trust those using them more. Im after clarity and not loudness. The reason I ask is that my first inclination would be to overkill and go for biggest best when that would most likely end up not being optimal for my room. Fire away, any response is appreciated.

Your room is about the same size as mine. I've been extremely satisfied with the following set-up:

L/R - Paradigm Signature S4s
C - Paradigm Signature C3
Sur - Paradigm Signature ADPs
Sub - Velodyne DD15

A cost effective alternative:
L/R - Paradigm Studio 40s or 60s
C - Paradigm Studio 570
Sur - Paradigm Studio ADPs
Sub - Velodyne DD12 or Paradigm Seismic 12 or Paradigm Servo 15

Cheers,

- Tim
post #1583 of 30073
I need your expertise to help me justifying update my Denon 3805 to Outlaw 990/7125 comb.
Room: 14X26
Speakers:
L/R - Paradigm Studio 40s
C - Paradigm Studio 570
Sur - Paradigm Studio ADPs
Back Sur-Studio 20's
Sub - Paradigm Servo 15
70/30 music/Movies
Is the Outlaw 990/7125 worth the money to update? I like the current system for the movies.
Also want to setup a two channel system with Sig. S4, any recommendation for the receiver or pre/amp. ?
post #1584 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

I asked this in the home theater forum, and it almost started WWIII.

But I thought I would see what Paradigm owners say.

If you have 2 rows of seating, where do you place Paradigm ADP surrounds? I will be using the ADP 470s (to match my Studio 20s and CC470)?

Note that I am not talking about the rear surrounds in a 7.1 set-up (the back wall) -- I am ONLY talking about the side surround positioning in a 7.1 set-up (the side wall).

With 2 rows, do you pick one row and optimize the sound for that row? Or do you line up the ADPs somewhere between rows?

Note that my room will be 20 feet long. The 1st row will be at about 11 feet from the screen. The 2nd row (ears in that row), will be at roughly 15 feet.

I will use the 1st row more. So do I just put the side surrounds next to the 1st row or what?

So what do you guys do?

Here is my room and my setup
It works like a charm
Don't forget you always set your main speakers to the primary listening position
and this should be applied to all the speakers.
So what I would do is to place ADP's about 1' behind front row
Hope this helps
LL
post #1585 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmac View Post

Here is my room and my setup
It works like a charm
Don't forget you always set your main speakers to the primary listening position
and this should be applied to all the speakers.
So what I would do is to place ADP's about 1' behind front row
Hope this helps

If the ADPs are 1 foot behind the front row, is that correct for having the front row in the null part of the ADPs?

I thought that you are supposed to place the ADPs directly beside the row, not behind? Now I'm confused -- directly beside or 1 foot back?

Or is 1 foot back only because there is a 2nd row?
post #1586 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfc6e View Post

I need your expertise to help me justifying update my Denon 3805 to Outlaw 990/7125 comb.
Room: 14X26
Speakers:
L/R - Paradigm Studio 40s
C - Paradigm Studio 570
Sur - Paradigm Studio ADPs
Back Sur-Studio 20's
Sub - Paradigm Servo 15
70/30 music/Movies
Is the Outlaw 990/7125 worth the money to update? I like the current system for the movies.
Also want to setup a two channel system with Sig. S4, any recommendation for the receiver or pre/amp. ?

And your budget is ?
post #1587 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfc6e View Post

I need your expertise to help me justifying update my Denon 3805 to Outlaw 990/7125 comb.
Room: 14X26
Speakers:
L/R - Paradigm Studio 40s
C - Paradigm Studio 570
Sur - Paradigm Studio ADPs
Back Sur-Studio 20's
Sub - Paradigm Servo 15
70/30 music/Movies
Is the Outlaw 990/7125 worth the money to update? I like the current system for the movies.
Also want to setup a two channel system with Sig. S4, any recommendation for the receiver or pre/amp. ?

What is it that you feel you're lacking? That seems like a fine setup to me. The 7125 isn't going to give you much more than a 3805, and the receiver specs are similar to the 990 (can't remember the differences off the top of my head). I wouldn't have any problems with that setup... possibly another sub to balance out room response. Speaking of.. is the room treated? If not, that's your next step, IMO.
post #1588 of 30073
So I got an SVS 25-31PCplus a month ago and now the rest of my current system needs upgrading. Here's what I have right now beyond the SVS.

Onkyo Reciever, 4 yrs old, not great.
Polk audio speakers
Sony 34" HDTV
Mac Mini Media Center (DVI)
Toshiba HD-a1 HD-DVD player (HDMI)
Xbox 360 (Component)
Comcast Dual Tuner HD Cable Box (HDMI/Component)

So you can see I have lots of HD inputs....xbox, hddvd, cable, mac mini. And the Sony TV has one DVI in and two Component in.

So I need a new reciever to manage the HD video and the audio. And I also want to upgrade the speakers too.

After a month of casual research I'm leaning towards getting a Denon 2807 since it has the HD inputs and is a good value.

For speakers I'm looking at Paradigm Cinema 330 for LCR and something smaller in the same family for the rears. Or is there a better choice for that price range?

Then in two years or so I'll be looking to replace the TV. Right now I'm happy with the HD on the CRT Tube.

So I'd love to hear some input on my upgrade selections. I'd love some opinions. Or some owner reviews of 330's. Or like I said....any thoughts on better options.

Thanks!!
post #1589 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwilbur View Post

So you can see I have lots of HD inputs....xbox, hddvd, cable, mac mini. And the Sony TV has one DVI in and two Component in.

So I need a new reciever to manage the HD video and the audio. And I also want to upgrade the speakers too.

After a month of casual research I'm leaning towards getting a Denon 2807 since it has the HD inputs and is a good value.

Since you have four HDMI/DVI devices, the 2 inputs on the 2807 is obviously not going to be enough, so you're going to have to compromise somewhere. Either you use two component inputs and have the receiver convert, or you can get an HDMI switcher like the Gefen. It's relatively expensive, but you may be able to find it cheaper used. It would also allow you to get a cheaper receiver since you wouldn't be limited to those with digital video switching. You're not going to find one with 4 inputs without going to something like a $5K+ model anyway.

I was going to recommend two of the four sources to use via component video, but all of the are great candidates for digital video. The mac obviously, and the other three are all HD.. not something I'd choose to compromise by using component. Just IMO..
post #1590 of 30073
Seems a slow night for the Paradigm thread. Anybody care to take a minute or two and tell what, if any, are the differences in sound between the Studio 20s v2 and Studio 20s v3? I own the 20s v2 and I am thinking about 20s v3 for a 2.1 music system if the high end is a tad less bright on the 20s v3.

Thanks, Nick
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Paradigm Owners Thread