or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Paradigm Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 784

post #23491 of 30095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post


Beauty about speaker selection is we have a lot of choices. We hear things differently too. Studios are a damn fine speaker for mixed listening... IE: music and HT. But, don't buy blind. Audition them first.. You may not like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post


Beauty about speaker selection is we have a lot of choices. We hear things differently too. Studios are a damn fine speaker for mixed listening... IE: music and HT. But, don't buy blind. Audition them first.. You may not like them.

That's why I am asking questions. I thought I wanted focal. Wasn't impressed. Liked the paradigm and wonder what else was out there. I have dealers within 3 hours that carry PSB, monitor Audio, Dynaudio and others. I know I'm asking on a paradigm thread. But are there other brands to consider? I hear good things about paradigm but can't find any recent reviews on the 100's

I've read enough threads to know somebody will chime in with you have to listen and its your ears. Just trying to get a short list. I want to be blown away like I was with the Maggie's and still have that punch with HT.
post #23492 of 30095
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadFish67 View Post

That's why I am asking questions. I thought I wanted focal. Wasn't impressed. Liked the paradigm and wonder what else was out there. I have dealers within 3 hours that carry PSB, monitor Audio, Dynaudio and others. I know I'm asking on a paradigm thread. But are there other brands to consider? I hear good things about paradigm but can't find any recent reviews on the 100's

I've read enough threads to know somebody will chime in with you have to listen and its your ears. Just trying to get a short list. I want to be blown away like I was with the Maggie's and still have that punch with HT.

The Maggies are at a whole other level when they are in their element. For me it came down to the B&W Diamond series and the Signature S8. Both hit hard when properly powered and gave me the sound I was looking for in a mixed HT/Music setting. In the end I decided to properly power the Studio 100s and am happy I decided to save some money and get the sound I wanted at the same time. I found such diminishing returns and had to draw a line in the sand somewhere. Good luck with your decision.
post #23493 of 30095
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadFish67 View Post

That's why I am asking questions. I thought I wanted focal. Wasn't impressed. Liked the paradigm and wonder what else was out there. I have dealers within 3 hours that carry PSB, monitor Audio, Dynaudio and others. I know I'm asking on a paradigm thread. But are there other brands to consider? I hear good things about paradigm but can't find any recent reviews on the 100's

I've read enough threads to know somebody will chime in with you have to listen and its your ears. Just trying to get a short list. I want to be blown away like I was with the Maggie's and still have that punch with HT.

When I first auditioned the Paradigm S4's I was blown away. Absolutely wonderful sounding. Unfortunately Paradigm discontinued them, but I'd recommend listening to the S6's & S8's if you get a chance. Also give the B&W 805 Diamonds a listen to. They're imaging is fantastic and I think they are very reasonably priced. You can of course demo the other 800 series Diamond speakers which also sound fantastic.
post #23494 of 30095
So you would put the signature in the same class as the 800 series B & W. I read somewhere online that paradigm was like Honda. Lots of bang for your buck and very reliable.
post #23495 of 30095
Quick question;
I've got a 5.1 Paradigm Studio setup (Studio 20s, cc-590, ADP-590s and a sub 12 processed by an Onkyo TX-SR1008) but I think my living room is just a bit too big (or open) for my Sub-12. The problem is the only reason I was able to afford what I have now is because I saved for over 3 years and came into a little bit of money and the end there so buying another Sub-12 in any reasonable amount of time is, unfortunately, not an option. My question is, can I get another 12inch sub (I'm thinking HSU or Elemental Designs) without throwing off the rest of my system or would I be better off selling the Sub-12 and buying 2 subs of the same type. My budget for a single additional sub would be somewhere between $400-$600. The budget for 2 subs if I sell the Sub-12 would be whatever I sell the Sub-12 for (it's about 14 months old in pristine condition so I'm guessing around $1500 maybe)

I know whatever I get won't have the power of the Sub-12 but I'm hoping that an additional sub will take enough of the load from the 12 to really let it shine or two less powerful subs (but the same size) well even out and sound better than the single more powerful sub.

My usage is about 65% movies/games and 35% music.
post #23496 of 30095
Gryfter, before you sell that sub have you optimized it's placement? How did you?
Sub crawl or acoustic measurements (REW) or?
Possible you MLP is in a null.
Also, what eq is processing it? AudysseyXT or?

What is room size and volume?

Just trying to grasp your current setup .
Blending 2 subs is science and art, read some threads in the sub/DIY speaker forum.
post #23497 of 30095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryfter View Post

Quick question;
I've got a 5.1 Paradigm Studio setup (Studio 20s, cc-590, ADP-590s and a sub 12 processed by an Onkyo TX-SR1008) but I think my living room is just a bit too big (or open) for my Sub-12. The problem is the only reason I was able to afford what I have now is because I saved for over 3 years and came into a little bit of money and the end there so buying another Sub-12 in any reasonable amount of time is, unfortunately, not an option. My question is, can I get another 12inch sub (I'm thinking HSU or Elemental Designs) without throwing off the rest of my system or would I be better off selling the Sub-12 and buying 2 subs of the same type. My budget for a single additional sub would be somewhere between $400-$600. The budget for 2 subs if I sell the Sub-12 would be whatever I sell the Sub-12 for (it's about 14 months old in pristine condition so I'm guessing around $1500 maybe)

I know whatever I get won't have the power of the Sub-12 but I'm hoping that an additional sub will take enough of the load from the 12 to really let it shine or two less powerful subs (but the same size) well even out and sound better than the single more powerful sub.

My usage is about 65% movies/games and 35% music.

If you can get $1500 for that sub, I'd sell it and pick up a pair of SVS subs instead. Or even one higher end SVS sub. You don't need to match brands when it comes to subs... timber-matching is important for the higher frequencies, but much less so for the lowest ones.
post #23498 of 30095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post


If you can get $1500 for that sub, I'd sell it and pick up a pair of SVS subs instead. Or even one higher end SVS sub. You don't need to match brands when it comes to subs... timber-matching is important for the higher frequencies, but much less so for the lowest ones.

Sell it, get one or two from another brand for that price. Have you tried moving the sub around to see if some room boost would solve your issue?

I love paradigm speakers, a lot of speaker for the money; however, you can get more sub for e money from other places, check the sub forum, some bass heads there will make sure you are pleased with the amount of bass you will have.
post #23499 of 30095
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadFish67 View Post

Thanks for the info. So the general consensus is the studio 100's are the bee's knees and I can end my search.

Are the signature series that much better or are we getting into the law of diminishing returns. Say you had 6-8 grand to drop in speakers and wanted to end up with a slamming system and was willing to do it a little at a time.

If this were my problem, I'd go signature. Sure they may not sound twice as good as 100s, but you'll have the flagship 2011/2012 speakers from an incredible company, will last you years and years. I've had my paradigms for 13 years, and am only now considering an upgrade.

If you plan on reselling in the short term, I'd stay away from signatures, they have a tough resell value (I just need to find one locally to get my new system underway).
post #23500 of 30095
Anyone own Paradigm Signature version2 speakers, and upgrade the drivers to version3? Look to be the same dimensions. Change any crossover components? Wondering if anyone has done it? Cheaper to replace drivers, than buy new version 3 speakers. Drivers easy to replace, in Signature series speakers? Never replaced one before.
post #23501 of 30095
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJay View Post

Anyone own Paradigm Signature version2 speakers, and upgrade the drivers to version3? Look to be the same dimensions. Change any crossover components? Wondering if anyone has done it? Cheaper to replace drivers, than buy new version 3 speakers. Drivers easy to replace, in Signature series speakers? Never replaced one before.

Haven't replaced crossovers, but switching drivers is a breeze. Shouldn't take long at all.
post #23502 of 30095
HSUs are no slouch for subs. I have two VTF15's running single port mode. They deliver clean tight hard bass in this tuned mode. VTF15's are completely tunable from being completely sealed to wide open dual port mode.
post #23503 of 30095
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBusiness View Post


If this were my problem, I'd go signature. Sure they may not sound twice as good as 100s, but you'll have the flagship 2011/2012 speakers from an incredible company, will last you years and years. I've had my paradigms for 13 years, and am only now considering an upgrade.

If you plan on reselling in the short term, I'd stay away from signatures, they have a tough resell value (I just need to find one locally to get my new system underway).

Thats the kind of advice I'm looking for. Thanks.
post #23504 of 30095
Paradigm Studio 100 owners please see my thread at:


http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=21581318

Need Advice!
post #23505 of 30095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

HSUs are no slouch for subs. I have two VTF15's running single port mode. They deliver clean tight hard bass in this tuned mode. VTF15's are completely tunable from being completely sealed to wide open dual port mode.

For music/movies my VTF-15H blends very well with my Studio's 100v3's.crossed over at 70Hz.
post #23506 of 30095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryfter View Post

Quick question;
I've got a 5.1 Paradigm Studio setup (Studio 20s, cc-590, ADP-590s and a sub 12 processed by an Onkyo TX-SR1008) but I think my living room is just a bit too big (or open) for my Sub-12. The problem is the only reason I was able to afford what I have now is because I saved for over 3 years and came into a little bit of money and the end there so buying another Sub-12 in any reasonable amount of time is, unfortunately, not an option. My question is, can I get another 12inch sub (I'm thinking HSU or Elemental Designs) without throwing off the rest of my system or would I be better off selling the Sub-12 and buying 2 subs of the same type. My budget for a single additional sub would be somewhere between $400-$600. The budget for 2 subs if I sell the Sub-12 would be whatever I sell the Sub-12 for (it's about 14 months old in pristine condition so I'm guessing around $1500 maybe)

I know whatever I get won't have the power of the Sub-12 but I'm hoping that an additional sub will take enough of the load from the 12 to really let it shine or two less powerful subs (but the same size) well even out and sound better than the single more powerful sub.

My usage is about 65% movies/games and 35% music.

I love my SVS-PB13 and it will hold its own musically and will blow your mind for movies. Its $2000 new and I am really thinking about adding another one.
post #23507 of 30095
Has anyone here ever used the Cinema line center speakers as rear speakers (standing them vertically?) Would that be a better option or should I stick with my Cinema 90s?
post #23508 of 30095
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post

I love my SVS-PB13 and it will hold its own musically and will blow your mind for movies. Its $2000 new and I am really thinking about adding another one.

It definitely looks like a kick ass sub but I think I'd still be in the same situation with it. The specs are very similar to the Sub-12, the SVS is a bit bigger but the 12 is 700w more powerful (continuous). I think I'm going to start messing around with the placement again to see if I can't improve it that way first, I think the sub is capable it's just getting it in the best position. I just wish I understood the science behind it better, I ran the PBK and it helped but I am completely clueless as to what all the data means or how to interpret it. Numbers turn my brain to jelly.

Does any one know if paradigm of does B-stock style sales? I'm thinking I should just start putting money away then just look for sales and what not next year... or I could win the lottery.
post #23509 of 30095
I don't own any Paradigm speakers, so forgive me for intruding... but I would just like to say that I had a chance to demo the Signature floorstanders, and they were easily the best sounding speakers that I had the pleasure of hearing at CES. I'd I had $9,000 to spare they would probably be in my living room right now!
post #23510 of 30095
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX View Post

I don't own any Paradigm speakers, so forgive me for intruding... but I would just like to say that I had a chance to demo the Signature floorstanders, and they were easily the best sounding speakers that I had the pleasure of hearing at CES. I'd I had $9,000 to spare they would probably be in my living room right now!

I was in the same boat, but adding the cost of the center and surrounds to complete the signature system, I would of had nothing left for anything else.
post #23511 of 30095
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Has anyone here ever used the Cinema line center speakers as rear speakers (standing them vertically?) Would that be a better option or should I stick with my Cinema 90s?

I haven't used both in my room, but I've compared them in a shop and I ended up getting a pair of 90's. I just didn't notice a huge difference between them and the larger Cinema speakers for surround duty.

Considering that the cost of the larger Cinema speakers is pretty close to the price of a pair of Atoms, I think the Atoms would be a much better upgrade...assuming you have the space for them. Space constraints may be why you're looking at Cinemas though.

Personally, I'd stick with the 90's rather than spending money on other Cinema speakers. YMMV
post #23512 of 30095
I have a pair of S8 v3 (cherry) in excellent condition for sale. No marks or anything on them. Just like brand new. I am downsizing. I am ready to sell for a great price. If interested PM me.
post #23513 of 30095
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX View Post

I don't own any Paradigm speakers, so forgive me for intruding... but I would just like to say that I had a chance to demo the Signature floorstanders, and they were easily the best sounding speakers that I had the pleasure of hearing at CES. I'd I had $9,000 to spare they would probably be in my living room right now!

The price range for this hobby is almost infinite. I have just learned to set a budget, expect to spend a little more, and enjoy what I have. My monitor series V6, Yamaha 2010, PS3 and 55" Sony is the envy of many and probably junk to some others. The thing is, it sounds and looks great to me. At the end of the day, that is all that matters. Just my 2 cents.
post #23514 of 30095
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post

The price range for this hobby is almost infinite. I have just learned to set a budget, expect to spend a little more, and enjoy what I have. My monitor series V6, Yamaha 2010, PS3 and 55" Sony is the envy of many and probably junk to some others. The thing is, it sounds and looks great to me. At the end of the day, that is all that matters. Just my 2 cents.

Your comments are spot on and mirror my view on this hobby.
post #23515 of 30095
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post

The price range for this hobby is almost infinite. I have just learned to set a budget, expect to spend a little more, and enjoy what I have. My monitor series V6, Yamaha 2010, PS3 and 55" Sony is the envy of many and probably junk to some others. The thing is, it sounds and looks great to me. At the end of the day, that is all that matters. Just my 2 cents.

Truth right there. We all have different budgets and sometimes, a little reality check is needed. The only person I need to impress is myself. Besides, I have a family and can't be selfish with this hobby.
post #23516 of 30095
has anyone bought from 6ave.com electronics???
post #23517 of 30095
Hi guys, I'm about to list my 10 out of 10 studio 100's v5 in black ash that have been boxed up for some time on audiogon. My question is, does the buyer or the seller usually pay for the shipping of the speakers and what is a reasonable asking price (not sure if i'm allowed to ask that or not)? I was thinking 2400 or 2500. Thanks so much
post #23518 of 30095
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore84 View Post

has anyone bought from 6ave.com electronics???

I've bought from them in the past with good experience. I believe they are now out of business and whatever inventory is left is on liquidation.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post

Hi guys, I'm about to list my 10 out of 10 studio 100's v5 in black ash that have been boxed up for some time on audiogon. My question is, does the buyer or the seller usually pay for the shipping of the speakers and what is a reasonable asking price (not sure if i'm allowed to ask that or not)? I was thinking 2400 or 2500. Thanks so much

The buyer generally pays shipping. $2500 is a safe price for those speakers. If you ship them, be sure to offer that they are either shipped freight to protect them or double box them with another carrier. I can't stress enough that shipping via ups/FedEx is a safe bet on those speakers, so be sure to use extreme caution here. Things could get ugly quickly.
post #23519 of 30095
I have a chance to buy one of these old subs for my system. Problem is I cannot find any real specs on this perticular unit anywhere. No manuals can be downloaded to give me the information.

What I need to know is what the frequency range or the lowest Hz this unit was designed to output. The PS 1000 was rated down to 24hz, so Im trying to find out how much above that the PS 800 is. I would guess 30Hz, but a spec sheet would tell me that.

Does anyone know anything about this sub?
post #23520 of 30095
Venomous, thanks so much for the tip and info.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Paradigm Owners Thread