or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Paradigm Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 865

post #25921 of 30056
Any Sig 2 owners in here? Thinking about a new pair of Sig 2's to replace my Studio 10v5's
post #25922 of 30056
I haven't bought speakers since 1997 when I bought my Paradigm monitor 7s, CC-350 and ADP-350 surrounds. Haven't looked at speakers since and they have moved into my new home and kick just as much ass here.

I just started looking for a similar set to wire up my basement theater which is in a much bigger room. Went to a few places and have listened to the Monitor 11s and the studio 60s, and actually liked the demo of the 11s better...

Today I had the misfortune of hearing the Studio 100s. I'm gonna need a bigger boat.....
post #25923 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

Any Sig 2 owners in here? Thinking about a new pair of Sig 2's to replace my Studio 10v5's
Yes there are Sig2 owners in here. Did you have a question for us?
post #25924 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallyou604 View Post

i got the upgrade to the yahama 3020 instead of the 2020.Should i keep the 3020 or go to the mx700?,Both selling for $2200 at my dealer, so switching shouldnt be a issue. I would rather demo them myself but dont have access.
Looks like im keeping my 3020, dealer said there is a $600 cost difference between the two for him,they're both selling for $2199 on his site, looks like he doesnt want to take the hit. The MSRP for the 3020 is $2199, and MSRP of 700 is $2000(back in 2010, probably gone up) like there is more markup for him selling anthem, he seems to be pushing their line, saying yahama is crap, anthem is way better. i havent receive my speakers or avr yet.

Yamaha is definately not crap in fact it is the most reliable product I sold. Between denon anthem pioneer and Yamaha hands down Yamaha for reliability. That being said the room correction and richness of sound in the anthem is second to none. If it were me I'd buy an mrx 300 and an mca 30 if you spending 2200 plus tax.

Just my two cents
post #25925 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

Yes there are Sig2 owners in here. Did you have a question for us?

I wouldn't mind chiming in I have 60s v5 would you ecomend s2s I need to get smaller bit don't want to lose sound quality
post #25926 of 30056
im getting the 3020 in the studio 100, c690, adp590, sub 15 package for 10k after taxes.
post #25927 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Spyder View Post

I wouldn't mind chiming in I have 60s v5 would you ecomend s2s I need to get smaller bit don't want to lose sound quality
The 60 is a 2.5-way ported tower. The S2 is a 2-way ported bookshelf (though deeper).

You'll loose the lowest frequencies and gain in every other respect. If you are running with a sub, it's a no-brainer. If you are running without a sub; you may or may not like the change.

I've had Studio 40v3, Studio 60v4 and my S2's, and the ones that are still in use are the S2s ( as part of a HT system with subs).
post #25928 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

Yes there are Sig2 owners in here. Did you have a question for us?

My local dealer offered me a deal at $3k for a new set. Not really sure what todays price is on them. I had put half down on a set of Inspirations and now it looks like it will be months before Paradigm ships them out. Just wanted to know how SIG2 owners liked their speakers. They would be used 90% for HT and 10% for music. I was thinking Studio 20's since they will match my 490cc center speaker.
post #25929 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

My local dealer offered me a deal at $3k for a new set. Not really sure what todays price is on them. I had put half down on a set of Inspirations and now it looks like it will be months before Paradigm ships them out. Just wanted to know how SIG2 owners liked their speakers. They would be used 90% for HT and 10% for music. I was thinking Studio 20's since they will match my 490cc center speaker.
There are a few overlapping questions in there.

- I don't know what a good current street price for a pair of S2's is.
- Both the S2 and Studio 20 are good HT speakers. For L/R, I've got a definite preference for the S2's which sound better and go lower (which may improve your ability to integrate with your sub).
- But you may want to match your center. I'm surprised you have a CC-490 and don't already have matching L/R speakers. That said, I don't run a center-channel in that HT because I prefer the sound phantomed.

Your dealer won't let you audition?
post #25930 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

Today I had the misfortune of hearing the Studio 100s. I'm gonna need a bigger boat.....

So this has been grating on me since yesterday, I'd really like to get the 100s but matching the whole set out with center and rears doubles the price. I'm thinking over whether I should just go ahead and order fronts and a sub and wait on the rears and center for tax return time or just buy the whole monitor 11 package. Just know that if I go with the 11s I'm going to question the choice forever...
post #25931 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

So this has been grating on me since yesterday, I'd really like to get the 100s but matching the whole set out with center and rears doubles the price. I'm thinking over whether I should just go ahead and order fronts and a sub and wait on the rears and center for tax return time or just buy the whole monitor 11 package. Just know that if I go with the 11s I'm going to question the choice forever...

Sounds like you should go with the Studio 100s for now? Are you primarily listening to music or HT? If music you can do without the sub for now. I would get the best L/R you can afford if you are into music. For home theater I think the depths to which the L/R plunge matters less since you'll likely cross over to the sub at 60-80Hz. For example the S2 is around the same price as the Studio 100s and can still cross over well to a sub at 60Hz.
post #25932 of 30056
I assert that the S2 + good sub combination sounds better than Studio 100's (with or without sub). Why pay for LF extension you aren't going to use?

But, truth be told, I've never been terribly fond of the 100's; so consider that a grain of salt to take my opinion with.
post #25933 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

There are a few overlapping questions in there.
- I don't know what a good current street price for a pair of S2's is.
- Both the S2 and Studio 20 are good HT speakers. For L/R, I've got a definite preference for the S2's which sound better and go lower (which may improve your ability to integrate with your sub).
- But you may want to match your center. I'm surprised you have a CC-490 and don't already have matching L/R speakers. That said, I don't run a center-channel in that HT because I prefer the sound phantomed.
Your dealer won't let you audition?

The matching center speaker for the Studio 10v5 is the 490cc. I'm sure the S2 would be better than my Studio 10's, just not sure it would be better than the Studio 20's as i don't listen to much music I would guess i could audtion the S2's at my local dealer, but no two rooms sound the same. I could always try the 490CC and see if it works well with the Sig2's, or just get a pricey C3.
post #25934 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

Sounds like you should go with the Studio 100s for now? Are you primarily listening to music or HT? If music you can do without the sub for now. I would get the best L/R you can afford if you are into music. For home theater I think the depths to which the L/R plunge matters less since you'll likely cross over to the sub at 60-80Hz. For example the S2 is around the same price as the Studio 100s and can still cross over well to a sub at 60Hz.

i'd say 90% HT and I am going to probably put a Hsu VTF-15h in with it to get ultra low for movies. But listening to music on the 100s blew me away...
post #25935 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

The matching center speaker for the Studio 10v5 is the 490cc. I'm sure the S2 would be better than my Studio 10's, just not sure it would be better than the Studio 20's as i don't listen to much music I would guess i could audtion the S2's at my local dealer, but no two rooms sound the same. I could always try the 490CC and see if it works well with the Sig2's, or just get a pricey C3.

Ahh. You have Studio 10's and you are considering moving to studio 20's (presumably because you want a lower crossover or higher SPL).

Got it.
post #25936 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

Ahh. You have Studio 10's and you are considering moving to studio 20's (presumably because you want a lower crossover or higher SPL).
Got it.

I had put 50% down on the Paradigm Inspirations back in Sept, so my plans were to get the Inspirations. I can wait them out or go for the Studio 20's or Sig2.
post #25937 of 30056
I listened to the monitor 11's and then the studio 100's and knew if I got the monitor 11's I would always know how much better the studio were.
post #25938 of 30056
I have a pair of studio 10s that I'll now be selling. They are in perfect shape, not a mark on them. How much should I sell them for?
post #25939 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarroll01 View Post

I listened to the monitor 11's and then the studio 100's and knew if I got the monitor 11's I would always know how much better the studio were.

Yep, this is exactly my issue =)
post #25940 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarroll01 View Post

I listened to the monitor 11's and then the studio 100's and knew if I got the monitor 11's I would always know how much better the studio were.

Yep, this is exactly my issue =)

I hope both you have in your budget appropriate acoustic treatments.......makes a world of difference, and for upgrade-itis should be done first before going up the good-better-best marketing strategy of speaker makers.

If either of you are in SE Michigan open invitation to come over and listen to my HT set-up.
post #25941 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

Yep, this is exactly my issue =)
I decided if I get the studio 100's to do it pieces at a time instead of the monitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

I hope both you have in your budget appropriate acoustic treatments.......makes a world of difference, and for upgrade-itis should be done first before going up the good-better-best marketing strategy of speaker makers.
If either of you are in SE Michigan open invitation to come over and listen to my HT set-up.

I appreciate the offer but I live pretty far away. For the treatment I think I am going to wait a little on that, I have some painting and other additions I have to do as well as get the speakers but that is also on the list with what will be a separate budget.
post #25942 of 30056
have a dedicated basement projector system in my current house (Totem Acoustics) but I'm moving to a smaller place and want to keep it modest while using my Totem towers for a dedicated 2 channel listening area elsewhere in the house.

so the A/V store I deal with recommended a modest system using Paradigm Cinema series on-wall speakers.

it's a small room about 12'x16' and we're orientating in on the short length (12'x11' area) so I can put office desks on the end wall.

Purchased impulsively on Black Friday, 2 x Cinema 200 for L & R, 2 x Cinema 100 for rears and 1 x Cinema 400 for the centre channel....reusing my current sub.

it was actually my idea to use the Cinema 400 for the centre and the salesman obviously didn't have problem and was surprised I would know to invest more into the centre channel.

question is, should I even bother and just save the $100-125 and get the Cinema 200 for the centre? or drop another $200 for 400's for the L&R? The salesman said in my room, the 400's for L&R would be more "want" than "need" for the modest sound levels needed in such a small room.

Never owned Paradigm and I actually bought these without listening. They solved an issue I had using a 55" panel as my monitor (no more projector) and being on sale, hundreds less than some other brands I was looking at (KEF and Totem)

This is 90% for movies or TV watching and 10% background music. I'm curious how "good" this set up is and how different Paradigm sound is to Totem? I obviously didn't want to invest in a major HT in the new house or I would have bought the Millennium series for more $$.
Edited by poopiehead - 11/26/12 at 1:18pm
post #25943 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarroll01 View Post

I listened to the monitor 11's and then the studio 100's and knew if I got the monitor 11's I would always know how much better the studio were.
But the real comparison is Studio 100's vs Studio 20's or 60's and spending the difference upgrading your subwoofer.

Studio 100's cost what? $2500?
Studio 20's cost around $1000?

Even if you were gonna run the 100's sans sub: $1500 is a lot of subwoofer.
And personally, I like the resulting sound better.

Your mileage may vary.
post #25944 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

But the real comparison is Studio 100's vs Studio 20's or 60's and spending the difference upgrading your subwoofer.
Studio 100's cost what? $2500?
Studio 20's cost around $1000?
Even if you were gonna run the 100's sans sub: $1500 is a lot of subwoofer.
And personally, I like the resulting sound better.
Your mileage may vary.

I would rather go with floor standing rather than bookshelves, so I guess the comparison would be studio 60 vs 100's which would leave $1000 for subs.
post #25945 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

The matching center speaker for the Studio 10v5 is the 490cc. I'm sure the S2 would be better than my Studio 10's, just not sure it would be better than the Studio 20's as i don't listen to much music I would guess i could audtion the S2's at my local dealer, but no two rooms sound the same. I could always try the 490CC and see if it works well with the Sig2's, or just get a pricey C3.
I upgraded from v4 Studio 40's and a CC590 to v2 S4s and a C3. The upgrade was done primarily for the Sigs musical performance but I was pleasantly surprised at the improvement for HT.
Listen to the S2s - you won't be disappointed.
post #25946 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

But the real comparison is Studio 100's vs Studio 20's or 60's and spending the difference upgrading your subwoofer.
Studio 100's cost what? $2500?
Studio 20's cost around $1000?
Even if you were gonna run the 100's sans sub: $1500 is a lot of subwoofer.
And personally, I like the resulting sound better.
Your mileage may vary.

The Studio 100s are more like $3500 and at that price I think the S2 is a better buy. I also think the S1 is a better buy than the Studio 60s. LF extension is not worth the compromised mids / highs to me. You will have to listen for yourself.
post #25947 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by 519audiofan View Post

I upgraded from v4 Studio 40's and a CC590 to v2 S4s and a C3. The upgrade was done primarily for the Sigs musical performance but I was pleasantly surprised at the improvement for HT.
Listen to the S2s - you won't be disappointed.

I went ahead and dropped my order for the Inspirations and orderd a pair of Sig 2's in cherry. I will try them out with the 490cc and see how they sound together. I think the C3 cost around $1700.
post #25948 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

I have a pair of studio 10s that I'll now be selling. They are in perfect shape, not a mark on them. How much should I sell them for?

I was gonna ask $700 for my 5 month old mint Studio 10 v5's with the boxes.
post #25949 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

I went ahead and dropped my order for the Inspirations and orderd a pair of Sig 2's in cherry. I will try them out with the 490cc and see how they sound together. I think the C3 cost around $1700.
You won't be disappointed with the S2s. Their low frequency extension is surprising. For me the most dramatic difference between the CC 590 and the C3 was the additional low frequency output of the C3.
post #25950 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by 519audiofan View Post

You won't be disappointed with the S2s. Their low frequency extension is surprising. For me the most dramatic difference between the CC 590 and the C3 was the additional low frequency output of the C3.

I'm sure i will like the Sig2's. Think i got the price wrong on C3, think it's more like $2700, i would have problem using the C3 on my stand as it would be almost too wide. I mean to say it is too deep.
Edited by CHASLS2 - 11/27/12 at 3:16am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Paradigm Owners Thread