or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Paradigm Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 866

post #25951 of 30073
How big of a jump would it be from the Studio 60's and CC590 (both V5) to S2's and C3 if it is being used mainly 70% TV/movies, 20% video games, and 10% music paired with a subwoofer on both setups? Would you recommend it?
post #25952 of 30073
How does one answer "how big a jump"?

Erm... Seven?

If you are pairing with a sub, it would be the same jump as from the 20 to the 2.
post #25953 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35 View Post

How big of a jump would it be from the Studio 60's and CC590 (both V5) to S2's and C3 if it is being used mainly 70% TV/movies, 20% video games, and 10% music paired with a subwoofer on both setups? Would you recommend it?

It would be a huge jump in price. I will soon find out how much of a jump it will be going Studio 10's to the Sig 2's.
post #25954 of 30073
Ending up ditching my 5.1 800 Diamond setup in my small room (11x16) for a setup of Sig6s V3, C3, and ADP 1s. Paired with an MRX300, JL F110 sub, 3 Mcintosh MC501s, and an MC352. I only have 10 hours on them, so I won't say anything just yet. I've heard they require a lot of break in.
post #25955 of 30073
Has anyone bracket mounted their ADP-590s? Did you use the Paradigm brackets or a 3rd party?

These look a little more flexible than the OEM ones, thinking of giving them a shot:
http://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-110120B-lb-Speaker-Mount/dp/B0002BBNEE/

Or maybe the omnimount?
http://www.amazon.com/OMNIMOUNT-30-0-Universal-Stainless-Mounting/dp/B00009W5X2/

I see a warning that some speakers don't have the right mount points for these kits tho, requiring drilling or an expensive adapter...
Edited by Kadath - 11/27/12 at 7:01am
post #25956 of 30073
Also, Studio 100s ordered. More than I wanted to spend but now I know I won't be living with regret. YOLO AMIRITE?!?!? =)
post #25957 of 30073
I ordered several tweeter diaphragms from Paradigm and will be getting them soon. I wonder if I should buy some ferrofluid for the diaphragms? One of the tweeters will get the diaphragm replaced for the second time while the others will be get their first diaphragm replacement. Also, is all ferrofluid the same? Where is a recommended place to buy this online? Thanks for any help.

One final question. Should I replace the ferrofluid on the good tweeters?

My speakers are over 11 years old, btw.
post #25958 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

It would be a huge jump in price. I will soon find out how much of a jump it will be going Studio 10's to the Sig 2's.

There is more than one individual asking about the S2s. My original suggestion really only applied to those already looking at Studio 60s or Studio 100s should look also look at / consider the S1 / S2 speakers respectively. These will be very similar in price. I didn't mean to suggest someone considering Studio 10s should jump to more than 3x the cost in a speaker and that Signatures were the only way to go.
post #25959 of 30073
I would get the 100s now..in my opinion they are the best looking and sounding speaker you can get for the money..then when $ permits get the matching center and studio 10s for the rear..I'm actually using a cc-290 center that's in the monitor series with my para 60s...the sound blends very good..better than expected..and I saved 1200$....but...I still (if I had the money) would buy the cc-690!..I don't think there is a better sounding or looking center speaker out there this side of Venus!
post #25960 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by esh516 View Post

I would get the 100s now..in my opinion they are the best looking and sounding speaker you can get for the money..then when $ permits get the matching center and studio 10s for the rear..I'm actually using a cc-290 center that's in the monitor series with my para 60s...the sound blends very good..better than expected..and I saved 1200$....but...I still (if I had the money) would buy the cc-690!..I don't think there is a better sounding or looking center speaker out there this side of Venus!

Hehe, this is actually the opposite point that some of the signature owners are trying to get across. Considering a smaller signature system, for the same price or slightly lower as the LARGEST studio speakers may actually yield a nicer sounding system. This may be true when the sub cross-over is 60-80Hz, which even the smallest signature models can blend well into.
Edited by Tank_PD - 11/27/12 at 3:38pm
post #25961 of 30073
I went from big Klipsch RF7's RC7 and RS7'S in my bedroom to the Millenia One's 5 speaker system, then to the Studio 10's. I don't want to go back to big towers as they are just too cramped in my bedroom, or i would have gone with the Studio 100's as they are only a few $100's more then the Sig2's.
post #25962 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

How does one answer "how big a jump"?
Erm... Seven?
If you are pairing with a sub, it would be the same jump as from the 20 to the 2.

I meant sound wise. I already have the 60's and cc590. I've been thinking of upgrading to something else and the S2's have been in my mind.
post #25963 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35 View Post

I meant sound wise. I already have the 60's and cc590. I've been thinking of upgrading to something else and the S2's have been in my mind.
I understand, it's just that it's difficult to quantify.

I originally had Studio 40s. I felt the difference was enough to warrant upgrading to the S2s.
post #25964 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35 View Post

How big of a jump would it be from the Studio 60's and CC590 (both V5) to S2's and C3 if it is being used mainly 70% TV/movies, 20% video games, and 10% music paired with a subwoofer on both setups? Would you recommend it?
My trigger to upgrade my Studios was listening to S2s and S6s. At our local dealer, my friend and I started with the Studio 20s and moved up through the Studio line finishing with the Sigs (S2,S6). As soon as we moved from the Studio 100 to the S2 it was clearly evident that the Sigs are a much better sounding speaker. After returning home I played the same music through my v4 Studio 40s and it was as if a veil had been placed in front of my speakers - so the decision was made to upgrade. The main reason for upgrading was music but I was pleasantly surprised with movies/tv as well. Certain scenes and special effects,such as glass shattering or quiet warehouse scenes with slow dripping water, sound more realistic. The width of the soundstage has also improved - for movies there is now action going on well beyond the left and right speakers. I mentioned in an earlier post the improvement in bass the C3 displayed over the CC 590 is clearly noticeable. Nothing else in my system changed except the addition of the v2 S4s and C3 so it was very easy to notice the differences - even my wife noticed! I firmly believe in a small Sig system vs. a large Studio system (room permitting of course).
BTW My friend in the story above initially went in looking at Studio 60s/100 and a CC 590 and ended up buying S6s and a C3.
Hope this helps.
post #25965 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by 519audiofan View Post

My trigger to upgrade my Studios was listening to S2s and S6s. At our local dealer, my friend and I started with the Studio 20s and moved up through the Studio line finishing with the Sigs (S2,S6). As soon as we moved from the Studio 100 to the S2 it was clearly evident that the Sigs are a much better sounding speaker. After returning home I played the same music through my v4 Studio 40s and it was as if a veil had been placed in front of my speakers - so the decision was made to upgrade. The main reason for upgrading was music but I was pleasantly surprised with movies/tv as well. Certain scenes and special effects,such as glass shattering or quiet warehouse scenes with slow dripping water, sound more realistic. The width of the soundstage has also improved - for movies there is now action going on well beyond the left and right speakers. I mentioned in an earlier post the improvement in bass the C3 displayed over the CC 590 is clearly noticeable. Nothing else in my system changed except the addition of the v2 S4s and C3 so it was very easy to notice the differences - even my wife noticed! I firmly believe in a small Sig system vs. a large Studio system (room permitting of course).
BTW My friend in the story above initially went in looking at Studio 60s/100 and a CC 590 and ended up buying S6s and a C3.
Hope this helps.

I hope to find out this Friday how much better my Sig 2's are compared to all of my other speakers over the years. My local dealer should have my Sig 2's in this Friday for me to pick up. I have a 200 watt amp to power them.
post #25966 of 30073
I am just about to order an HT system with the Studio 100's and the CC-690.

Now I see this discussion that I should at least be considering the S2's with the C3 center channel speaker. However, I don't see the S2's listed on Paradigm's website, just the S6's and S8's which are both more than I care to spend.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Steve
post #25967 of 30073
Steve-

Look under "Bookshelf"

;-)
post #25968 of 30073
Thanks. I will check them out...but what I am hearing is that the S2's with the C3 will sound better than the 100's with the CC-690? My retailer doesn't have these set up for comparison. I did listen to the Studio 60's and the 100's and then a set of Goldenear's (which were not competetive to my ears.)

Steve
post #25969 of 30073
Yep.

The difference between the Studio 20 and Studio 100 is LF extension. They use the same tweeter, and the same midrange.
The difference between the S2 and the S8 is LF extension. They use the same tweeter, and the same midrange.

This is a pretty important thing if you aren't running a sub.

Once you pair a sub, and if the extension is enough to make a good crossover point, it's just wasted capability.

I'll use towers because I'm not using a sub, or I use towers because it saves me buying a stand, or I use towers because there was no savings to be gained going to a bookshelf. (I actually do use quite a few towers).
Edited by JerryLove - 11/29/12 at 5:03am
post #25970 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLV View Post

Thanks. I will check them out...but what I am hearing is that the S2's with the C3 will sound better than the 100's with the CC-690? My retailer doesn't have these set up for comparison. I did listen to the Studio 60's and the 100's and then a set of Goldenear's (which were not competetive to my ears.)
Steve
Not being able to compare makes it really hard to choose. FWIW, I have 100's / CC-690 and am very happy but I haven't heard the S2's either. And dang it, this discussion is making me itch!
post #25971 of 30073
OK. So my HT room I am setting up from scratch is 14 X 22 X 8.5 ceilings.

I am getting a quote on a pair of 100's, a CC-690 and a pair of rear Paradigms (to be honest am not positive on model right now.) No subwoofer. Sounds like the speakers will total roughly about $7.5K with 3 stands. Looking at the top Anthem model with ARC for the AVR.

What am I looking at for price approximately if I go 2 S2's, a C3, a matching pair of rears and a sub? Which sub for that size room (basement, carpeted poured cement floors, sheetrocked and stud walls on 2 sides, studs and sheetrock over poured concrete over other two walls, rocked and sound insulation in ceiling). I am not looking for head banging base, but I do enjoy music and have a modest SACD collection I was looking forward to listening to along with Blu Ray movies and DTV in HD.

Thanks!

Steve
post #25972 of 30073
Wherever possible, I recommend 2 subs (or more). Much better room integration.

How about http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/cylinder/legato#.ULdjeofO0-s ?

or for a bit less, I was positively impressed with my audition of this: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html . Two should work well.

I suspect you will be fine: but you may want to do some checks for volume. 93db (100) / 91db (S2) is pretty efficient, and you should be fine; but I don't know how treated your room is nor how loud you listen.

I wouldn't worry too heavily about the surrounds (I'm using Infinities, I used to use Studio 40s). I honestly think you could get away with something like Behringer 2030p's; but I'd suspect you'll end up with something like Studio 10's / 20's.

Actually S2x2 ($3k) + SVSx2 ($2k) + Studio20x2 ($1k) leaves $1500 for the center (that about right on the C2, or have I just under priced the center?)
post #25973 of 30073
Hey, all. What's a good price on a pair of Studio 20 v4 ? The seller is asking $450. I've searched to find other ads but most I've found are a couple years old or more. They appear to be in good shape, but I haven't inspected them. Assume they are at least 8-9 out of 10. Black ash finish.
post #25974 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

Hey, all. What's a good price on a pair of Studio 20 v4 ? The seller is asking $450. I've searched to find other ads but most I've found are a couple years old or more. They appear to be in good shape, but I haven't inspected them. Assume they are at least 8-9 out of 10. Black ash finish.
Unless the v4 is, for some reason, less valuable than the v3 on the used market: $450 would seem to be an excellent price for ones with no damage.

(On eBay, undamaged 20v3's seem to sell for $450-$550)
post #25975 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

Actually S2x2 ($3k) + SVSx2 ($2k) + Studio20x2 ($1k) leaves $1500 for the center (that about right on the C2, or have I just under priced the center?)
I think the C3 would be in the low $2K range. Going with 1 sub initially would help offset the higher price of the centre.
post #25976 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

Hey, all. What's a good price on a pair of Studio 20 v4 ? The seller is asking $450. I've searched to find other ads but most I've found are a couple years old or more. They appear to be in good shape, but I haven't inspected them. Assume they are at least 8-9 out of 10. Black ash finish.
I sold my mint condition v4 Studio 40s in rosenut for $850.00 back in April. So $450 for the 20s seems like a good price.
post #25977 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by 519audiofan View Post

I sold my mint condition v4 Studio 40s in rosenut for $850.00 back in April. So $450 for the 20s seems like a good price.
Wish I'd been paying more attention to this thread last April :/
post #25978 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Wish I'd been paying more attention to this thread last April :/
I have 40v3's in rose near mint. Still have the boxes. PM me if you are hunting a pair.
post #25979 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

Hey, all. What's a good price on a pair of Studio 20 v4 ? The seller is asking $450. I've searched to find other ads but most I've found are a couple years old or more. They appear to be in good shape, but I haven't inspected them. Assume they are at least 8-9 out of 10. Black ash finish.[/quote

I would jump on that deal, new the v5's are around $1500.
post #25980 of 30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

I have 40v3's in rose near mint. Still have the boxes. PM me if you are hunting a pair.

You are about 28 miles from me in west Pasco county.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Paradigm Owners Thread