or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Paradigm Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 867

post #25981 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

Hey, all. What's a good price on a pair of Studio 20 v4 ? The seller is asking $450. I've searched to find other ads but most I've found are a couple years old or more. They appear to be in good shape, but I haven't inspected them. Assume they are at least 8-9 out of 10. Black ash finish.

I paid under $1000 brand new for my Studio 20 V5's, I'm not sure anyone actually pays $1500 for them (I hope not!). Paradigm dealers typically discount their product pretty good.
post #25982 of 30056
Hey gang,

I still run some V2 or V3 Mon 9's and love my setup. So helping a friend with setting up his new HT and want some advice. They probably won't go to the Studio line as this is meant mostly like 90% for HT and budget is a concern. Back in the day, I would have recommended a set of Mon 3 (8 inch), CC370 (or larger) Minis and a sub (maybe an HSU or the PW-2200). What is a mid range (price) setup these days from Paradigm. Have not been in the market for gear and would love some feedback. Will probably end up with a Denon or Yamaha receiver to power the setup.

Any tips would be appreciated.
post #25983 of 30056
Would a pair of 2010 Studio 10's work well for rear channel speakers in a HT setup? Guy is selling a pair locally. Asking $650. Fair price, or should he go down a bit?

Thanks

Steve
post #25984 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLV View Post

Would a pair of 2010 Studio 10's work well for rear channel speakers in a HT setup? Guy is selling a pair locally. Asking $650. Fair price, or should he go down a bit?
Thanks

Same price is the only par on Audiogon (though if "local" is "St.Paul", it might be the same guy)
post #25985 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLV View Post

Would a pair of 2010 Studio 10's work well for rear channel speakers in a HT setup? Guy is selling a pair locally. Asking $650. Fair price, or should he go down a bit?
Thanks
Steve

I would ask $700 for my 5 month old 10v5's. So $650 is not bad.
post #25986 of 30056
what is the current 60's 690 v5 ? I heard v6 is current now can anyone verify ?
post #25987 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

what is the current 60's 690 v5 ? I heard v6 is current now can anyone verify ?

Version 5 is still the official version. Version 6 is rumored to be announced at CES 2013, which is in January.
post #25988 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

Has anyone bracket mounted their ADP-590s? Did you use the Paradigm brackets or a 3rd party?
These look a little more flexible than the OEM ones, thinking of giving them a shot:
http://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-110120B-lb-Speaker-Mount/dp/B0002BBNEE/
Or maybe the omnimount?
http://www.amazon.com/OMNIMOUNT-30-0-Universal-Stainless-Mounting/dp/B00009W5X2/
I see a warning that some speakers don't have the right mount points for these kits tho, requiring drilling or an expensive adapter...

Not sure if you've actually purchased mounts at this point, but if not, you should be aware that the ADP-590 is made to be mounted flush against the wall. They may have a keyhole slot (I don't think so, but you'll see them if they are there) already attached, but you could also opt for a slightly more secure (and flush, better looking) mount and use a french cleat. There are some heavy duty ones here, but I found some fairly cheap ones at my local Home Depot. You will need to drill into the back of your speakers, but that's going to be true for any mount unless you use provided keyhole slots or use stands instead. I wouldn't be looking at mounts like the ones you linked to for ADP speakers.
post #25989 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

Also, Studio 100s ordered. More than I wanted to spend but now I know I won't be living with regret. YOLO AMIRITE?!?!? =)
If you didn't spend more than you wanted, you didn't get the speakers you NEEDED.
post #25990 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

Hey gang,
I still run some V2 or V3 Mon 9's and love my setup. So helping a friend with setting up his new HT and want some advice. They probably won't go to the Studio line as this is meant mostly like 90% for HT and budget is a concern. Back in the day, I would have recommended a set of Mon 3 (8 inch), CC370 (or larger) Minis and a sub (maybe an HSU or the PW-2200). What is a mid range (price) setup these days from Paradigm. Have not been in the market for gear and would love some feedback. Will probably end up with a Denon or Yamaha receiver to power the setup.
Any tips would be appreciated.

Bump, anyone else in here besides all the high end talk about Studios? Looks like this thread has turned into a Studio thread smile.gif
post #25991 of 30056
Does anyone knows the difference between these two Monitor 11 version?
$799 each - made in China
$1299 each -made in Canada

Also there's lots of versions "v" here and there too. I'm confused confused.gif
post #25992 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

Hey gang,
I still run some V2 or V3 Mon 9's and love my setup. So helping a friend with setting up his new HT and want some advice. They probably won't go to the Studio line as this is meant mostly like 90% for HT and budget is a concern. Back in the day, I would have recommended a set of Mon 3 (8 inch), CC370 (or larger) Minis and a sub (maybe an HSU or the PW-2200). What is a mid range (price) setup these days from Paradigm. Have not been in the market for gear and would love some feedback. Will probably end up with a Denon or Yamaha receiver to power the setup.
Any tips would be appreciated.

Bump, anyone else in here besides all the high end talk about Studios? Looks like this thread has turned into a Studio thread smile.gif

I hear you, the good/better/best strategy seems to be lost here with most recommendations for the best.

Seems most people here imply only the high margin top end product will suffice.

I'm running 2008 v5 Monitor 9s CC390 with ADP390 in a 7.1 arrangement in my properly acoustically treated basement home theatre and love them.
When I go to AT screen (2014/2015) then I'll upgrade to a baffle wall and different Front R/C/L.

I highly recommend every person to apply appropriate acoustic treatments to manage the room-speaker interaction prior to upgrade itis.

Anyone living in SE Michigan is welcome to listen to them, I might host a HEMI meet in Spring, since I'm going 11.2 smile.gif
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435778/moving-past-7-1-5-1-into-9-1-11-2-upgrading-your-ht-room-via-audyssey-dsx-or-dolby-pl-iiz#post_22528318





Sent from my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk
Edited by mtbdudex - 12/4/12 at 4:50am
post #25993 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

I hear you, the good/better/best strategy seems to be lost here with most recommendations for the best.
Seems most people here imply only the high margin top end product will suffice.

I highly recommend every person to apply appropriate acoustic treatments to manage the room-speaker interaction prior to upgrade itis.

It's not that only the top will suffice, but several people were asking about the S2 vs. Studio 100. Or the most expensive studio set. vs. the least expensive signature set. They are very similar in price. If you can afford one you can afford the other. Doesn't mean you can't ask about another speaker, but don't feel entitled to an answer. Not everyone is familiar with every model or want to write a book for good / better / best based often on very little information from OP. You can often get a better consultation from a dealer.
post #25994 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

I still run some V2 or V3 Mon 9's and love my setup. So helping a friend with setting up his new HT and want some advice. They probably won't go to the Studio line as this is meant mostly like 90% for HT and budget is a concern. Back in the day, I would have recommended a set of Mon 3 (8 inch), CC370 (or larger) Minis and a sub (maybe an HSU or the PW-2200). What is a mid range (price) setup these days from Paradigm. Have not been in the market for gear and would love some feedback. Will probably end up with a Denon or Yamaha receiver to power the setup.
Any tips would be appreciated.

Monitors are still at the same point within the Paradigm line-up that they were when you bought.

What is "mid price" to you?
What is a "setup" to you? 2 channel, 4, 5, 7, 9?
What's the room size?
What's the intended SPL?

You start by picking the speakers. Then you'll know if you can run off an AVR or need an amp. Then you can pick an AVR based on the features needed. Then you check and make sure you didn't creep over-budget. Then you buy.
post #25995 of 30056
Does any one have any listening experience with Signature 5 LCR in wall speakers or what other Paradigm speaker would be comparable to listen to?

I currently have Triad Gold 6 in walls and am doing a redo of my theater and screen wall and need a shallower in wall than the Triads?

Thanks
post #25996 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

I have 40v3's in rose near mint. Still have the boxes. PM me if you are hunting a pair.
Sent PM
post #25997 of 30056
Can the ADP 590's be mounted on the J-29 stands. I have my rig in the LR and don't have a wall on the RHS which opens in to the kitchen and the dinning area. Is it a bad idea to have the ADP-590 mounted on stands or am I better off with the Studio 20/10. Can anyone let me know if the ADP 590 can be bolted to the J-29 stands.
post #25998 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydj View Post

Can the ADP 590's be mounted on the J-29 stands. I have my rig in the LR and don't have a wall on the RHS which opens in to the kitchen and the dinning area. Is it a bad idea to have the ADP-590 mounted on stands or am I better off with the Studio 20/10. Can anyone let me know if the ADP 590 can be bolted to the J-29 stands.

There are two brackets for the J-29. A large rect. bracket for the S2, and a smaller square for the ADP3. The ADP3 does NOT bolt into the stand, but only sits on top. The ADP1 bolts into the GS-30 stand, which also fits the S1.

I'm unsure if the ADP-590 bolts into J-29, but my guess would be just like the ADP3 and that it sits on top. You can check with a Paradigm dealer to be 100% positive, but I think the only mount holes are located on the back of the ADP speakers.

I don't think there is anything wrong w/ the speakers on stands, though the best location is probably on wall above the seating area. Because they smear the sound around they do better closer to the listening area than a bookshelf on stands. With a bookshelf you will be able to localize the sound very easily if it's too close to the sitting area.

It will take substantial force to knock an ADP speaker over even when placed on the stand w/ no bolts. So much so though that even if it were bolted down I think it would be enough to tip the whole thing over anyway.
post #25999 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

There are two brackets for the J-29. A large rect. bracket for the S2, and a smaller square for the ADP3. The ADP3 does NOT bolt into the stand, but only sits on top. The ADP1 bolts into the GS-30 stand, which also fits the S1.
I'm unsure if the ADP-590 bolts into J-29, but my guess would be just like the ADP3 and that it sits on top. You can check with a Paradigm dealer to be 100% positive, but I think the only mount holes are located on the back of the ADP speakers.
I don't think there is anything wrong w/ the speakers on stands, though the best location is probably on wall above the seating area. Because they smear the sound around they do better closer to the listening area than a bookshelf on stands. With a bookshelf you will be able to localize the sound very easily if it's too close to the sitting area.
It will take substantial force to knock an ADP speaker over even when placed on the stand w/ no bolts. So much so though that even if it were bolted down I think it would be enough to tip the whole thing over anyway.

thanks for the info
post #26000 of 30056
Just picked up my first set of Paradigm speakers and actually my first real home theater system. I recently graduated college and was just running pretty much computer speakers! eek.gif So this upgrade is huge.
I went to a dealer near me to demo some B&W CM8s and in the same room they had the studio 20, 60, and 100. The CM8s were good, but IMO the Studio line just blew them away. I also demoed the Monitor 11s. The whole studio line pretty much had the same sound which is to be expected. The studio 20s were surprisingly good and if paired with a nice subwoofer, I think it would be great for a smaller setup. The Studio 100s only seemed to be slightly better than the 60s, but definitely not $1000 better. They were able to get lower and were a little more full, but that's about it. IMO the Studio 60s was the best of the studio line when taking everything into account. I also demoed the monitor 11s as they were $1000 cheaper. The Monitor 11s were also surprisingly good but seemed sloppy on the low end. They also didn't produce the soundstage and well-balanced sound that the studios produced. They seem to be suited more towards rock-type music as well. I also thought that the studios looked A LOT better than the monitors, so that did weigh into my decision.

I ended up buying the Studio 60s, CC-590, and Integra DTR30.4. I had no clue what to buy for the receiver, so I just asked the dealer I bought from and he suggested this. I've been relatively happy with it so far, although I probably should've came here to ask before deciding on it. If any of you have a different suggestion for a similar price range, let me know and I can probably exchange for something else.

So now my impressions now that they're in my apartment. At the dealer they clearly sounded better due to the equipment they had driving the speakers, the room setup and treatments. BUT I am very satisfied. For music I've found that I prefer stereo over any other setting such as PLII, Neo6, or All Stereo. For movies DTS (if available) or PLII seemed to be the best. If I was living in a house I would for sure buy a subwoofer as the studios don't provide the punch that many movies would benefit from, but they definitely handle bass very well. I have no complaints for music.

Onto the pictures! I had no clue that the center was this big! I had to temporarily put the TV on a box and move the stand away from the wall. It also makes the 37" TV look tiny. Maybe it is a reason to upgrade the TV and wall mount it! biggrin.gif


Figured I'd do a size reference picture with my hand to show the center size. I can't even imagine how big the CC-690 must be.




post #26001 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by razz589 View Post

Does any one have any listening experience with Signature 5 LCR in wall speakers or what other Paradigm speaker would be comparable to listen to?
I currently have Triad Gold 6 in walls and am doing a redo of my theater and screen wall and need a shallower in wall than the Triads?
Thanks

I just installed the backer boxes for Sig 5 LCRs in a new home construction, though my Theater room is still a couple of months away from completion. I have read somewhere, I think on this site, that the Sig 5's are similar to the Signature S8's without the deep bass extension.
post #26002 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by swargolet View Post

Just picked up my first set of Paradigm speakers and actually my first real home theater system. I recently graduated college and was just running pretty much computer speakers! eek.gif So this upgrade is huge.
I went to a dealer near me to demo some B&W CM8s and in the same room they had the studio 20, 60, and 100. The CM8s were good, but IMO the Studio line just blew them away. I also demoed the Monitor 11s. The whole studio line pretty much had the same sound which is to be expected. The studio 20s were surprisingly good and if paired with a nice subwoofer, I think it would be great for a smaller setup. The Studio 100s only seemed to be slightly better than the 60s, but definitely not $1000 better. They were able to get lower and were a little more full, but that's about it. IMO the Studio 60s was the best of the studio line when taking everything into account. I also demoed the monitor 11s as they were $1000 cheaper. The Monitor 11s were also surprisingly good but seemed sloppy on the low end. They also didn't produce the soundstage and well-balanced sound that the studios produced. They seem to be suited more towards rock-type music as well. I also thought that the studios looked A LOT better than the monitors, so that did weigh into my decision.
I ended up buying the Studio 60s, CC-590, and Integra DTR30.4. I had no clue what to buy for the receiver, so I just asked the dealer I bought from and he suggested this. I've been relatively happy with it so far, although I probably should've came here to ask before deciding on it. If any of you have a different suggestion for a similar price range, let me know and I can probably exchange for something else.
So now my impressions now that they're in my apartment. At the dealer they clearly sounded better due to the equipment they had driving the speakers, the room setup and treatments. BUT I am very satisfied. For music I've found that I prefer stereo over any other setting such as PLII, Neo6, or All Stereo. For movies DTS (if available) or PLII seemed to be the best. If I was living in a house I would for sure buy a subwoofer as the studios don't provide the punch that many movies would benefit from, but they definitely handle bass very well. I have no complaints for music.
Onto the pictures! I had no clue that the center was this big! I had to temporarily put the TV on a box and move the stand away from the wall. It also makes the 37" TV look tiny. Maybe it is a reason to upgrade the TV and wall mount it! biggrin.gif

You'll love 'em! I bought the same speakers and push them with an AV7005/Emotiva XPA-5. I also got the SA-ADP in-walls which kick ass. I have to ask you though...what the hell is up with that computer case??? It's fugly! Get rid of that thing! biggrin.gif
post #26003 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

Bump, anyone else in here besides all the high end talk about Studios? Looks like this thread has turned into a Studio thread smile.gif

I bought a pair of Monitor 9 v.7's along with a Center 3 & love 'em. They play loud & clean & have a good soundstage. I'll pick up at least a pair of Surround 3's come boxing day. I'm running them with an old 10" JBL sub & a Paradigm DSP-3600 sub crossed over at 80hz.
Sound & Vision reviewed this setup (along with a DSP-3200 sub) & Daniel Kumin highly recommended them.
post #26004 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgreg View Post

You'll love 'em! I bought the same speakers and push them with an AV7005/Emotiva XPA-5. I also got the SA-ADP in-walls which kick ass. I have to ask you though...what the hell is up with that computer case??? It's fugly! Get rid of that thing! biggrin.gif

Down the line I'd love to get a pre-amp + amp setup like that
Haha. That is my roommates computer case. He made that thing 6 or 7 years ago with just scrap parts from around his house. I just use it as a media center right now with XBMC. I may try out a Rasberry Pi down the road with XBMC, but I'm not sure how well I'd be able to stream HD movies to it or possibly just build my own dedicated media center.
post #26005 of 30056
I have recently purchased Studio 100's for my HT. I have a problem in that when I started looking into adding the center speaker, I have 5" between the cabinet containing the electronics and the bottom of the front projection screen and 8" from cabinet to top of the border of the screen. The Studio centers are too tall to fit in the space. Also in the cabinet there is a location to place a speaker and it is 17.5" tall, too short for the CC-490. Any recommendation for a center speaker that will fit in either of these spaces and have a decent match to the Studio 100's?

Thanks
post #26006 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelj View Post

I have recently purchased Studio 100's for my HT. I have a problem in that when I started looking into adding the center speaker, I have 5" between the cabinet containing the electronics and the bottom of the front projection screen and 8" from cabinet to top of the border of the screen. The Studio centers are too tall to fit in the space. Also in the cabinet there is a location to place a speaker and it is 17.5" tall, too short for the CC-490. Any recommendation for a center speaker that will fit in either of these spaces and have a decent match to the Studio 100's?
Thanks

Can you post a picture? I would try to find a work-around that alllows you room for a larger center channel. I have the CC-490 with Studio 20's. I would be looking at a 590 or 690 if I had the Studio 100's.
post #26007 of 30056
Just got my Sig 2's hooked up. Here it is next to the smaller Studio 10.
post #26008 of 30056
Very nice. What are your first impressions?
post #26009 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by 519audiofan View Post

Very nice. What are your first impressions?

They are a big step up from the Studio10's. Sounds seem to roll off with a much faster snap to them. I can hear stuff i have never heard before.
post #26010 of 30056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhydro View Post

Can you post a picture? I would try to find a work-around that alllows you room for a larger center channel. I have the CC-490 with Studio 20's. I would be looking at a 590 or 690 if I had the Studio 100's.

Taken with a cell phone (not great quality).

The top of the screen is at the ceiling. First of the wall including the screen, cabinet, and Studio 100s. 2nd a closeup of the cabinet and bottom of the screen. Total space above cabinet & top of the trim is 8".


Edited by stevelj - 12/5/12 at 6:12pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Paradigm Owners Thread