or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Paradigm Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 907

post #27181 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWaffle View Post

After a few weeks of auditioning speakers I think I found what hits my sweet spot (and general budget): the Paradigm 100s. The shop is selling them for $3,500/pair. Compared to other speakers I sampled and liked this seems fair, but I'd hoped to find out if this seems reasonable based on others' experience.

If I go ahead, I then need to decide whether to go with the c-490 center channel (quoted price: $900) or the 590 ($1,300). Surrounds will wait and I'll let my current, under-powered front stage take up the rear.

Any thoughts? This is my first serious dip in to grown-up speakers and despite my research I feel a bit out of my depth on this.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

Jeez, the Studio line has sure shot up in price! I got my 100 v4 for about $2,500 brand new (that's after taxes!). Be that as it may, I really, really like them for the money. Pretty darn neutral too. Beautiful piano and guitar reproduction. I have the CC-690. It's the one to get with the 100's, truly (unless you're going with an acoustic projection screen, then another 100 would be in order). I listened to the whole center model range and sucked it up and went with the big boy. I'm not sorry I did. The v.5, except for the better cabinet, are basically the same as the v.4 sound-wise when I demoed them after their release.
post #27182 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWaffle View Post

After a few weeks of auditioning speakers I think I found what hits my sweet spot (and general budget): the Paradigm 100s. The shop is selling them for $3,500/pair. Compared to other speakers I sampled and liked this seems fair, but I'd hoped to find out if this seems reasonable based on others' experience.

If I go ahead, I then need to decide whether to go with the c-490 center channel (quoted price: $900) or the 590 ($1,300). Surrounds will wait and I'll let my current, under-powered front stage take up the rear.

Any thoughts? This is my first serious dip in to grown-up speakers and despite my research I feel a bit out of my depth on this.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

A 490cc really won't cut it with the 100's unless it's a small room. I use a 490CC with my SIG2's for a smaller bedroom, would love a used 690cc.
post #27183 of 30098
Today is the one year anniversary of my v2 Signature S4/C3 ownership. These speakers put a big grin on my face with every listen.
Surprisingly enough, the upgrade bug has kept its distance but I do predict the S6 or S8 is in my future. smile.gif
post #27184 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrton View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by coresare View Post

How would you compare the Studio 100 to the S8? How bout the 690 to the C5?

I will agree with deltadube on his opinion. I personally think the S8s sound much better than the 100s. (I loved my 100s while I owned them)

I am not familiar with the other speaker line he suggested. You might check them out.

Best of luck, ayrton

Hey Ayrton .. you are a lucky man.. i didnt know you had S8 real sweet.. i see them as better for stereo play back but for movies think the difference is smaller..

wish i had some of the that luxury action.. biggrin.gif

in the meantime im pretty happy with the 100s..

oh by the way what kind of amp power did you feed your 100s? what do you feed the S8 now?

cheers..
post #27185 of 30098
Well I just arrived home with a big grin on my face. I put a deposit down on a pair of Paradigm Signature S2's after spending nearly 3-1/2 hours auditioning them side-by-side with a pair of Studio 20's exactly like the ones I have at home. They are beauties for sure!!
Now all I have to do is sell my Golden Ear Force Field 4 and a pair of Studio 20's. All are about 9 months old with very few gentle hours on them. When I say gentle, barely broken in. If anyone is interested in either please send me a PM.
post #27186 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadube View Post

Hey Ayrton .. you are a lucky man.. i didnt know you had S8 real sweet.. i see them as better for stereo play back but for movies think the difference is smaller..

wish i had some of the that luxury action.. biggrin.gif

in the meantime im pretty happy with the 100s..

oh by the way what kind of amp power did you feed your 100s? what do you feed the S8 now?

cheers..

I bought a XPA-3 for the 100s and 690 and currently using it with the S8s and C5.

If I still owned my 100s and 690 I would be very happy.

I helped a friend purchase speakers about 10 years ago and picked Monitor 9s. They are still sounding very good today and are used every day of the week!
post #27187 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrton View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadube View Post

Hey Ayrton .. you are a lucky man.. i didnt know you had S8 real sweet.. i see them as better for stereo play back but for movies think the difference is smaller..

wish i had some of the that luxury action.. biggrin.gif

in the meantime im pretty happy with the 100s..

oh by the way what kind of amp power did you feed your 100s? what do you feed the S8 now?

cheers..

I bought a XPA-3 for the 100s and 690 and currently using it with the S8s and C5.

If I still owned my 100s and 690 I would be very happy.

I helped a friend purchase speakers about 10 years ago and picked Monitor 9s. They are still sounding very good today and are used every day of the week!

im Happy you lucky guy.. s8 how sweet... corvette and s8 eh! you got me beat all over.. chevy ltz impala and 100s..

just saw the new model impala today its a bit smaller never seen one before and i drive by the plant daily.. gm oshawa did make impalas but the line up comes and goes..

well got a tip for you Ayrton.. order up some nice mono blocks for those S8 your not doing em justice.. xpa 1 x 2 2000.. cheap.. catch em on sale save 200...

cheers...
post #27188 of 30098
I am going to buy two paradigm towers.which model do you suggest to me between monitor 9 v6 and monitor 9 v7 ? What do you think about monitor special edition?
post #27189 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by milito80 View Post

I am going to buy two paradigm towers.which model do you suggest to me between monitor 9 v6 and monitor 9 v7 ? What do you think about monitor special edition?
That all depends. Price being the same, get the v7's, they sound slightly more refined. Price NOT being the same, what is that slightly better sound worth?
post #27190 of 30098
Just sold my Signature S4 after about 9 months of owning them... My C3 is up on the Gon. They were great speakers and will be missed. But I'm moving on to more music oriented speakers. Have fun guys!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
post #27191 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybenz View Post

Just sold my Signature S4 after about 9 months of owning them... My C3 is up on the Gon. They were great speakers and will be missed. But I'm moving on to more music oriented speakers. Have fun guys!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

What speakers are you going to look at?
post #27192 of 30098
I decided to try again with Paradigm about my insulation problem (Studio 20s) and they replied:

"Thanks for the link. QC department has looked at this. They verify that the white insulation you see has moved out of it’s place, and should be pushed back into place. This insulation takes on a U shape as it’s installed in the speaker. The black screen you see is actually a black foam that should be located against the back panel of the speaker and should not be in contact with the port tube at all.

Access to re adjust these foam pieces is done by removing the port tube and simply pushing the foam back into place. We can certainly take care of this if you return the speaker to the factory or perhaps get some assistance from the selling dealer.

Please let me know if you prefer to send the speaker to us, I will have to generate an RMA for service before it’s sent in.

Thank you."

So obviously, that insulation shouldn't be there. I can either send it back (would have to pay one way shipping) or take it to a paradigm dealer, and have them fix it at my cost. Unless I'm willing to drive to the dealer I bought them at (2 hours away) its really not worth the drive.

Shipping would probably cost ~$20ish but the wait would be terrible tongue.gif I'm leaning towards that route atm just to ensure the repair is done properly.
post #27193 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie68 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybenz View Post

Just sold my Signature S4 after about 9 months of owning them... My C3 is up on the Gon. They were great speakers and will be missed. But I'm moving on to more music oriented speakers. Have fun guys!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

What speakers are you going to look at?

Ordered a pair of Selah Prestigio's. They use a RAAL 70-20XR ribbon flanked by two Seas W16NX woofers. I'm going from 5.1 to 2.1. If I miss the surround setup, I'll go back to 5.1 with matching Selah's.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
post #27194 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080pee View Post

I decided to try again with Paradigm about my insulation problem (Studio 20s) and they replied:

"Thanks for the link. QC department has looked at this. They verify that the white insulation you see has moved out of it’s place, and should be pushed back into place. This insulation takes on a U shape as it’s installed in the speaker. The black screen you see is actually a black foam that should be located against the back panel of the speaker and should not be in contact with the port tube at all.

Access to re adjust these foam pieces is done by removing the port tube and simply pushing the foam back into place. We can certainly take care of this if you return the speaker to the factory or perhaps get some assistance from the selling dealer.

Please let me know if you prefer to send the speaker to us, I will have to generate an RMA for service before it’s sent in.

Thank you."

So obviously, that insulation shouldn't be there. I can either send it back (would have to pay one way shipping) or take it to a paradigm dealer, and have them fix it at my cost. Unless I'm willing to drive to the dealer I bought them at (2 hours away) its really not worth the drive.

Shipping would probably cost ~$20ish but the wait would be terrible tongue.gif I'm leaning towards that route atm just to ensure the repair is done properly.

did you call the dealer.. to see if they can fix it up for you? in 2 mins.. man i would miss my speakers.. didnt even look in the ports.. eek.gif
post #27195 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080pee View Post

I decided to try again with Paradigm about my insulation problem (Studio 20s) and they replied:

"Thanks for the link. QC department has looked at this. They verify that the white insulation you see has moved out of it’s place, and should be pushed back into place. This insulation takes on a U shape as it’s installed in the speaker. The black screen you see is actually a black foam that should be located against the back panel of the speaker and should not be in contact with the port tube at all.

Access to re adjust these foam pieces is done by removing the port tube and simply pushing the foam back into place. We can certainly take care of this if you return the speaker to the factory or perhaps get some assistance from the selling dealer.

Please let me know if you prefer to send the speaker to us, I will have to generate an RMA for service before it’s sent in.

Thank you."

So obviously, that insulation shouldn't be there. I can either send it back (would have to pay one way shipping) or take it to a paradigm dealer, and have them fix it at my cost. Unless I'm willing to drive to the dealer I bought them at (2 hours away) its really not worth the drive.

Shipping would probably cost ~$20ish but the wait would be terrible tongue.gif I'm leaning towards that route atm just to ensure the repair is done properly.

Yeah, just ship it to them. That's what I would do...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
post #27196 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadube View Post

did you call the dealer.. to see if they can fix it up for you? in 2 mins.. man i would miss my speakers.. didnt even look in the ports.. eek.gif

Well my local dealer can do it...for a cost. The dealer I bought it from is over 2 hours away so not worth the drive, but otherwise I'm sure they would do it for free.
post #27197 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080pee View Post

Well my local dealer can do it...for a cost. The dealer I bought it from is over 2 hours away so not worth the drive, but otherwise I'm sure they would do it for free.

To each his own, I would certainly fix that myself...probably would only take you
Ten minutes. Your speakers are under warranty and you have documented it
With Paradigm. I couldn't stand to be without my new speakers sending them
Back,and I certainly would not do that drive either. You would be surprised at
How simply they are put together inside.

I replaced a defective mid-woofer on my Studio 40's that Paradigm sent me.
post #27198 of 30098
Probably should be on a different forum for this but here goes. Is there a power formula that tells you how many watts are being used to power your Paradigms at lets say 9 feet away at 78 sound pressurel level. C weighted slow from Radio Shack SPL Meter. Wanted to see how close I am to rated 230 watts for Studio 100 v5. Thanks for any feedback.
post #27199 of 30098
I have officially put my Studio 20's up for sale. They are in MINT condition with black oak finish, purchased about 9 months ago and gently barely broken in. Will be posting in the classified section in a few moments. Just thought putting a plug in this thread would generate some interest from those who appreciate Paradigms most...
post #27200 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickev View Post

Probably should be on a different forum for this but here goes. Is there a power formula that tells you how many watts are being used to power your Paradigms at lets say 9 feet away at 78 sound pressurel level. C weighted slow from Radio Shack SPL Meter. Wanted to see how close I am to rated 230 watts for Studio 100 v5. Thanks for any feedback.

Here you go Bikev...Hey Deltadube!!! Try this out for your system, let us know
If you still think you REALLY need those mono-blocks for your new Studios..
are you related to Tim Allen (more power)? Just kidding...LOL


http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
post #27201 of 30098
You could use this: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

With 230 watts, you'd be up around 110 dB. You're well under a watt.
post #27202 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

To each his own, I would certainly fix that myself...probably would only take you
Ten minutes. Your speakers are under warranty and you have documented it
With Paradigm. I couldn't stand to be without my new speakers sending them
Back,and I certainly would not do that drive either. You would be surprised at
How simply they are put together inside.

I replaced a defective mid-woofer on my Studio 40's that Paradigm sent me.

I can take the port out, that shouldn't be an issue. Where to place the insulation after that is what I don't know. I get the feeling the mid-driver would have to be removed as well and thats where my hesitation/fear comes from.
post #27203 of 30098
Remove the port and gently push the insulation up to the left of the
Driver and up to the right of the driver. Take a pic and post if u need to.
The bass driver has two(2) wires connected to it...that's it.
post #27204 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

OK, I've decided to go with the Signature's all the way around. If anyone is interested I put these up on the classified.:
CC690 $1,170

ADP590 $1,170

They're already boxed and ready. I'm picking up my Sigs today! smile.gif
My Sigs are home! smile.gif
Still just admiring the finish and going to break them in FAST!!!. I'm going on vacation in a couple of days and was wondering, what volume level should I break them in at? I've got a 6,000 track playlist setup and my SPL meter ready to get them going (24/7 for five days). Is 75 db average SPL too loud - or too soft? Any input would be welcome as I can't find anything from Paradigm on how loud to break in the speakers.
post #27205 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

Remove the port and gently push the insulation up to the left of the
Driver and up to the right of the driver. Take a pic and post if u need to.
The bass driver has two(2) wires connected to it...that's it.
okay I think I'll try it my self but only if I can avoid taking out the driver. Thanks
post #27206 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080pee View Post

Well my local dealer can do it...for a cost. The dealer I bought it from is over 2 hours away so not worth the drive, but otherwise I'm sure they would do it for free.

So the authorized dealer from whom you purchased the at minimum cosmetically defective speaker wants to charge you to repair the defective speaker they sold you? I cant believe they dont see the shortsighted nature of that policy. I imagine you are not exactly itching to go back to then for your next AV purchase.

Sorry to hear that. I am sure the DIY repair will go fine.
post #27207 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidians View Post

You could use this: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

With 230 watts, you'd be up around 110 dB. You're well under a watt.

yup at 75 db he is way under the 230 watt max input with maxi of 10% amp clipping what ever that means paradigm.. 10 % clipping must sound like crap..

very cool link...

yeah the mono blocks give you better SQ and head room for sound dynamics.. to go from denon 3313 to xpa 3 was hugh sq improvement to go to xpa 1 would be a refined improvemnt of sq not
so much in db out.. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

the sq improvement in clarity and dynamics would be available at all listening levels.. not just louder but cleaner eh.. im just a poor guy think i will get the monos after i get some bad ass subs...

cheers..
post #27208 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080pee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

To each his own, I would certainly fix that myself...probably would only take you
Ten minutes. Your speakers are under warranty and you have documented it
With Paradigm. I couldn't stand to be without my new speakers sending them
Back,and I certainly would not do that drive either. You would be surprised at
How simply they are put together inside.

I replaced a defective mid-woofer on my Studio 40's that Paradigm sent me.

I can take the port out, that shouldn't be an issue. Where to place the insulation after that is what I don't know. I get the feeling the mid-driver would have to be removed as well and thats where my hesitation/fear comes from.

get the dealer to do it...
post #27209 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

OK, I've decided to go with the Signature's all the way around. If anyone is interested I put these up on the classified.:
CC690 $1,170

ADP590 $1,170

They're already boxed and ready. I'm picking up my Sigs today! smile.gif
My Sigs are home! smile.gif
Still just admiring the finish and going to break them in FAST!!!. I'm going on vacation in a couple of days and was wondering, what volume level should I break them in at? I've got a 6,000 track playlist setup and my SPL meter ready to get them going (24/7 for five days). Is 75 db average SPL too loud - or too soft? Any input would be welcome as I can't find anything from Paradigm on how loud to break in the speakers.

dont think its a good idea to run electronics and go away for 5 days.. sound like voiding your property insurance..
ive read part of the break in process is turning them off and on.. the componets need to heat up and cool down ..

just use em at home paradigm say they sound good right out of the box.. ive got 300 hrs in 23 days.. i cant hear any difference or
maybe i cant hear anymore.. cranking the blues too much.. down home blues...
biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #27210 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpose View Post

So the authorized dealer from whom you purchased the at minimum cosmetically defective speaker wants to charge you to repair the defective speaker they sold you? I cant believe they dont see the shortsighted nature of that policy. I imagine you are not exactly itching to go back to then for your next AV purchase.

Sorry to hear that. I am sure the DIY repair will go fine.

The dealer he bought them from is a two hour drive away.
a different dealer wants to charge him to repair it (local)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Paradigm Owners Thread