or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Paradigm Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 983

post #29461 of 30057
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

I am picking up mine today........not sure when I will get them installed though. I would listen to some white noise while adjusting volume and listen to all three speakers .......... they should sound virtually the same........in tone.

Play some music and movies and stick your ear up against each and every driver..........make sure there is sound from each and that it sounds normal........no crackling etc. I always do this with new speakers, found a bad lower bass driver (so I thought) on an Energy RC-70........turned out it was the crossover. I did not really hear anything wrong with the RC-70 playback ...... but just wanted to check for function and I am glad I did.........they went back to Future Shop (that was 6 or 7 years ago).

I think a few people had a bad midrange on their CC690 .......discussed in this thread.......awhile back. Maybe others who know about it can chime in. I think 13" off the ground is a little low........might be a contributing factor.

Will try that, as for the height really can't go any higher case the speaker would be above the acreen but when I am sitting down its pointing at my chest.
post #29462 of 30057
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschetech View Post

Rusty give the 690 time to break in. It really is an amazing speaker. Does your equipment allow full adjustment for the centre? Such as bass, treble, db gain, x-over, etc?

Fist let me clarify that I am in now "crapping" on this speaker just not used to the sound or maybe not getting the sound I think I should.
Outside of Level and Hz the next settings you can change are in the EQ. right now using the Front Setting but you can change these settings within the EQ but have no
idea of what I am doing when it comes to that.

Frequency
Q
Gain
post #29463 of 30057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustolem View Post

Will try that, as for the height really can't go any higher case the speaker would be above the acreen but when I am sitting down its pointing at my chest.

Ideally, the tweeter should be pointing at your ears. If you're off axis, it will sound muffled.

Can you post a pic of your setup?
post #29464 of 30057

Hi,

Can someone please suggest me wall mount bracket option for Paradigm Milleania ADP rear/surround speakers?

Will the MB-60 wall mount bracket from Paradigm work?

Thanks in advance.

Sid

post #29465 of 30057
I agree with JKR1963, listen to each of the drivers to verify that they are working. The CC690 should not sound muffled even right out of the box. You might try raising it up so aims more at your ears. Mine is about 19" off the floor and I sit about 9' from them.
post #29466 of 30057
I thought the ADP speakers come with a mount built into them and they mount flush to the wall, I am sure they are designed to use the wall. The MB-60 looks like it is for a book shelf type speaker not a surround speaker.
post #29467 of 30057
Monitor 7v6
Cc190 v6
Adp bipolar surround
Svs20-39+ pc
post #29468 of 30057
Anybody had cc190 and then upgraded to the 290 ... Is there a big difference
post #29469 of 30057
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopper12 View Post

Anybody had cc190 and then upgraded to the 290 ... Is there a big difference
I thought there was a noticeable difference. My dealer told me when I bought the 190 that I might want a bigger center. After about a week I took it back and got a 290. My only regret is that I didn't get a cc390 which is nowhere to be found these days. At the time though, I just didn't have room for that beast.😥 that 290 is matched with monitor 9's V6.
post #29470 of 30057
I have adp190's and 390's and they came with wall mounts that allow you to mount them virtually flush to the wall.
post #29471 of 30057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustolem View Post

Fist let me clarify that I am in now "crapping" on this speaker just not used to the sound or maybe not getting the sound I think I should.
Outside of Level and Hz the next settings you can change are in the EQ. right now using the Front Setting but you can change these settings within the EQ but have no
idea of what I am doing when it comes to that.

Frequency
Q
Gain

Yes you can adjust these in manual mode. You should be able to copy across your flat curves and modify the centre as desired. But from experience the 690 is a prick to get right in a room that is not treated, lack of furnishings and carpet etc.
I sold mine and went up to the C5 to get some satisfaction.
post #29472 of 30057
Anyone had a problem with an ADP-390 grill vibrating?
I just bought one used and it has a very annoying buzz. It doesn't change if I put pressure on the grill but if I take if off it stops.
post #29473 of 30057
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconxr6 View Post

Yes you can adjust these in manual mode. You should be able to copy across your flat curves and modify the centre as desired. But from experience the 690 is a prick to get right in a room that is not treated, lack of furnishings and carpet etc.
I sold mine and went up to the C5 get some satisfaction.

which version C5 do you have?

The C5s accentuate the midrange (where the male voice is). some have complained that it makes it sound a bit husky or chesty.

i'd like to see a frequency response chart for a CC-690....can't find one though.
Edited by tubeheadEL34 - 2/4/14 at 12:18pm
post #29474 of 30057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

Anyone had a problem with an ADP-390 grill vibrating?
I just bought one used and it has a very annoying buzz. It doesn't change if I put pressure on the grill but if I take if off it stops.
The only problem I have with my ADP-390's is taking the grills off when someone wants to see what they look like. They are really tight. Are you sure they are completely on?
post #29475 of 30057
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeheadEL34 View Post

which version C5 do you have?

it's interesting how they've tuned the versions differently, with post v1s accentuating the midrange (where the male voice is). some have complained that it makes it sound a bit husky or chesty. the V1 is a little flatter.

i'd like to see a frequency response chart for a CC-690....can't find one though.

My C5 is the V2.
post #29476 of 30057
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post

The only problem I have with my ADP-390's is taking the grills off when someone wants to see what they look like. They are really tight. Are you sure they are completely on?

Yes I put it on 3 different ADP's to make sure and it did it on all of them. I guess I'll have to order a new grill cause I can't figure out what's actually vibrating.
post #29477 of 30057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

Yes I put it on 3 different ADP's to make sure and it did it on all of them. I guess I'll have to order a new grill cause I can't figure out what's actually vibrating.
Maybe the grill is warped or stretched. On the plus side, better a grill problem then a speaker problem. Hope it works out for you.
post #29478 of 30057
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post

Maybe the grill is warped or stretched. On the plus side, better a grill problem then a speaker problem. Hope it works out for you.

Yeah for sure. I just bought them used,get them hooked up, put on the bean/drum scene from flying daggers and then hear a buzz and thought Oh no. Was glad it was just the grill. Thanks.
post #29479 of 30057
Had to build custom shelves too because he didn't have the wall mount brackets.

post #29480 of 30057

Hi,

This question may have been asked before but do the studio 100 and the cc-690 match well with the Surround 3 OR do I need the Millenia ADPs for this purpose?

Trying to stay below budget.

Thanks

Sid

post #29481 of 30057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

Anyone had a problem with an ADP-390 grill vibrating?
I just bought one used and it has a very annoying buzz. It doesn't change if I put pressure on the grill but if I take if off it stops.

The only time I had a Buzz in my ADPs was due to damaged drivers. Only did it under specific conditions. Both 590s I bought new had some bad drivers. Authorized dealer ran a Sweep on them. Replaced bad drivers and never had a problem since.

Good luck with yours!
post #29482 of 30057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustolem View Post


Wanted some info on your experience with the 690, I have had my 100's and 690 for a week now, and can say that I love the 100's but the 690 I am still trying to figure out.
I am using a Yamaha CX-A5000 with a Emotiva XPA-5, I have my 690 set at 80hz with the individual level at +.5, it puts out alot of sound but for me the actual voices seem
to be like they are slightly muffled or just not that crisp. It can vary with the different source material but with Brays it just seems not as clear.
I have the 690 on a stand right in front of the tv about 13 inches off the ground and using the feet to raise the tilt and I am about 10 ft. from the speaker.
I have been switching back and forth on the EQ settings on the Yamaha from Natural to Through and so far the Natural has made some difference.
Can it be that the speaker needs more "break in" time or is just a sound I have to get used too?

 

Sorry I won't be a huge help here as I haven't purchased mine yet. I have to get the boat sold first :) The 690 that I auditioned for probably 2 hours sounded very crisp! Looks like others have already provided some great feedback for you though.

post #29483 of 30057

I have a set of 5se, a set of 3se and a set of Atoms.  I am considering using the Atoms as my surround.  I have no rear wall for the system (or at least it's way back and has a wet bar on it).  I would like to have dipoles, but am probably just going to use what I already have.  I hate to put holes in them by using a mount.  Has anyone built boxes to wall mount them?  According to the THX site, placement would put them at about 6' (2' above the listeners ear). I lose the ability to articulate them, but if placement is right, I shouldn't need to.

post #29484 of 30057

Hi,

I have  HT room that is 14X24X8.5 in size (approx 3000 sq ft). The room is enclosed and has been treated.

At this stage I am pretty well set with the Studio 100s and CC-690 as the center. The question is regarding the surrounds and the rear set up. Talking to the Paradigm dealer, the suggestion was that I need to stick with the reference series surrounds like the Millenia ADPs mainly because they have the same timber as the front and center speakers. I wanted to go with the Surround 3s on the side and the back to save money. The extra dollars would help me to maybe......maybe get an additional FV15HP sub making it a powerful dual sub setup. Do I even need two subs for a HT room that is 3000 sq ft in size?

What do you think? Should I go with the Millenia surrounds and let go the extra sub OR go the two sub route and but the surrounds set up?

Help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sid

 

 

 

 

post #29485 of 30057
If you can place one sub in the back of the room and one in the front to even out the bass response in the room I would go with two subs and the lesser surrounds. If both subs are going to be near the each other like both in the front of the room I would go with better surrounds and one sub.
post #29486 of 30057

HI,

I would like to know if this sounds like a good deal to you. This is the quote I got from a dealer

Paradigm Reference series Studio 100s (Front and Left), Center CC-690, 4 Millenia ADPs (Left and Right Surround Plus Two in the rear) OTD including taxes for $7800.

I will appreciate your response.

Thanks

Sid

post #29487 of 30057

Hi,

Do the Millenia ADPs come with their own wall mount brackets?

The Paradigm websites states that the ADP -590 come with their own brackets.

But no such information is shown for the Millenia ADPs.

If no brackets come with the speakers then can anyone recommend good brackets that mount the speakers flush to the wall?

Thanks

Sid

post #29488 of 30057
I don't know if they come with brackets or have keyhole or some other type of mounting system built in but I would imagine they do as they are designed to go on the wall unlike book shelves. Did you decide to go with only one sub?

My comment about two being up front is they are often not placed to correct room problems, if they are far enough apart up front you can solve some width modes in the room but still does nothing for the length modes. To help with length modes one needs to be placed towards the rear of the room. If they are too close together up front they will just have more output and exaggerate room problems.

Also, depending on your room and seating the Surround3 might be a better choice. The Surround3 is a bi-pole and the ADP is a di-pole and each has advantages depending on your situation.
post #29489 of 30057
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlnb View Post

I don't know if they come with brackets or have keyhole or some other type of mounting system built in but I would imagine they do as they are designed to go on the wall unlike book shelves. Did you decide to go with only one sub?

My comment about two being up front is they are often not placed to correct room problems, if they are far enough apart up front you can solve some width modes in the room but still does nothing for the length modes. To help with length modes one needs to be placed towards the rear of the room. If they are too close together up front they will just have more output and exaggerate room problems.

Also, depending on your room and seating the Surround3 might be a better choice. The Surround3 is a bi-pole and the ADP is a di-pole and each has advantages depending on your situation.


I have tried to contact Paradigm but it seems like they are not interested in responding to emails. I will call them to day to find out.

Regarding the subs, I really like what I have heard so far about the Fv15HP. I have 14 feet of space in front of my screen in which I have to squeeze in the CC-690, two Studio 100s and then either one or two of the big boy subs. I may not be able to fit the two subs in there depending on space and other dynamics. Then I guess I have no option but to place the second sub in the rear.

I have heard conflicting comments on whether I require one or two subs (HT room size 3000 cubic feet). The technical guy from Rythmik suggested I go for one and that two will be an overkill for that room.......I am confused.

post #29490 of 30057
Hello Siddhu,

My room is 3350 cubic feet. I have the Paradigm 100's the CC-690 and 3 Seaton Sound SubMersive HP's and I couldn't be happier. (My side surrounds are Paradigm Monitor 9's and the rear surrounds are Paradigm Monitor 3's.) I think in your room, 2 subwoofers would be awesome. I really don't think you can have too much woofage and having headroom is great. Subs add so much visceral content to the movie or music, you're going to love it. I would focus on the subs now and worry about upgrading your surrounds later if you are not happy with them.

Just my 2 cents,

Paul
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Paradigm Owners Thread