or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLRxxx8W DLP Models
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLRxxx8W DLP Models - Page 261

post #7801 of 12092
I'm trying to decide which looks better on my 5668. If I input a 720p DVD movie and then set it to 1080i (both via hdmi) they both look great. What do all of you think looks better?
post #7802 of 12092
This is my first post and I hope someone can help me out. I have the 5668 model with SA8300HD digital box.

When I'm watching football or basketball in HD it seems like half of the field or court is lit brighter than the other half. It looks fine when I'm viewing the TV from the middle but when I'm sitting at a slight angle this occurs. Is this normal?
post #7803 of 12092
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HongE81 View Post

This is my first post and I hope someone can help me out. I have the 5668 model with SA8300HD digital box.

When I'm watching football or basketball in HD it seems like half of the field or court is lit brighter than the other half. It looks fine when I'm viewing the TV from the middle but when I'm sitting at a slight angle this occurs. Is this normal?

No ... the TV has a very wide horizontal viewing angle (160 degrees). How high is your stand?
post #7804 of 12092
It would be nice if they offered us 68/78 owners a 1080P HDMi upgrade for a few hundred dollars. Not that I expect it but it would be nice to have that option.
post #7805 of 12092
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

It would be nice if they offered us 68/78 owners a 1080P HDMi upgrade for a few hundred dollars. Not that I expect it but it would be nice to have that option.

I agree. A 1080p HDMI upgrade would be great. I wonder how hard that would be given the fact that the TV has a separate HDMI card.
post #7806 of 12092
I'll third that. I also wonder if we will ever see any software upgrades. I feel that those of us who went for the wobbulated sets and 1080i inputs would be extremely happy if Samsung recognized us.
post #7807 of 12092
Hello all.

Working with the 6168, and the 811 Dish HD box. Hooked up via Component video and TOS optical directly to the tv.

Question 1: Is it normal to get, for lack of a better term, "pixelation" while watching HD channels? Meaning, on HD channles, during fast movements, the screen turns into small (1/2 inch) squares where the picture is moving fast, then immediately goes away when the pic slows down.

Question 2: I get lip sync on regular tv. Is there a audio delay on the this set somewhere? I get it with my HK335 while the theatersound is hooked up, but the 335 obviously had a delay although not nearly enough delay.

Thanks for the help...

PS. Would the Felston Audio Delay work in conjunction with the HK?
post #7808 of 12092
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta4x4 View Post

Hello all.

Working with the 6168, and the 811 Dish HD box. Hooked up via Component video and TOS optical directly to the tv.

Question 1: Is it normal to get, for lack of a better term, "pixelation" while watching HD channels? Meaning, on HD channles, during fast movements, the screen turns into small (1/2 inch) squares where the picture is moving fast, then immediately goes away when the pic slows down.

Question 2: I get lip sync on regular tv. Is there a audio delay on the this set somewhere? I get it with my HK335 while the theatersound is hooked up, but the 335 obviously had a delay although not nearly enough delay.

Thanks for the help...

PS. Would the Felston Audio Delay work in conjunction with the HK?

Question 1: That is normal and is in the signal being received by your 811 Dish HD STB. It is not a problem with the TV.

Question 2: The only audio delay fix is to route the audio through the TV ... this will solve the problem, but you will lost DD 5.1 sound. So your best bet is the Felston, which will work correctly with your receiver.
post #7809 of 12092
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer970 View Post

I'll third that. I also wonder if we will ever see any software upgrades. I feel that those of us who went for the wobbulated sets and 1080i inputs would be extremely happy if Samsung recognized us.

I feel like I have been robbed. I wait until the 5668 is available in my local stores then finally buy the set only to find out a flipin week later a newer and better model will soon be out for about the same price I just paid.
post #7810 of 12092
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCSB View Post

Question 1: That is normal and is in the signal being received by your 811 Dish HD STB. It is not a problem with the TV.

Question 2: The only audio delay is to route the audio through the TV ... this will solve the problem, but you will lost DD 5.1 sound. So your best bet is the Felston, which will work correctly with your receiver.


Bill, as always, thank you for the reply...
post #7811 of 12092
I have a 8300HD from Cablevision. I have found that I get the best picture by splitting the signal and connecting the cable directly to my 6768 TV. The picture is noticebly better than when I go through the cable box via either component or HDMI. To my pleasant surprise, when I connected the optical audio output from the TV to my AVR, I get 5.1 channel sound. Best picture and 5.1 channel sound...so I use these connections when watching live TV. Recorded shows, of course, come via the cable box's DVR.
post #7812 of 12092
Hi I have strange problem with Samsung 5078W when I connecting it with PC trough components cable, there is big delay in video and even when I move the mouse on the desktop .Btw I did not noticed this delay when I connect Xbox via components cable with same resolution
post #7813 of 12092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D View Post

I feel like I have been robbed. I wait until the 5668 is available in my local stores then finally buy the set only to find out a flipin week later a newer and better model will soon be out for about the same price I just paid.

I knew when I bought my set in the Summer that this would be the case. It happens every year. Nothing new.
post #7814 of 12092
I just received my second 5078. The first one had two problems with it. The first was a rainbow/prism pattern of light that stretched across the top of the screen. It was very noticable when watching a 2.35:1 DVD. The second problem was that there was a three to four inch column on the left side of the screen that was lighter than the rest of the screen. Both problems were noticeable on all inputs.

With the new set, I got the same rainbow/prism pattern across the top. The column on the left side of the screen looks like it's there but it is not nearly as pronounced. I don't remember seeing anyone else in this thread mention either of these problems. Should I go for set number three or is it something an ISF calibration might fix?
post #7815 of 12092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Morr View Post

I just received my second 5078. The first one had two problems with it. The first was a rainbow/prism pattern of light that stretched across the top of the screen. It was very noticable when watching a 2.35:1 DVD. The second problem was that there was a three to four inch column on the left side of the screen that was lighter than the rest of the screen. Both problems were noticeable on all inputs.

With the new set, I got the same rainbow/prism pattern across the top. The column on the left side of the screen looks like it's there but it is not nearly as pronounced. I don't remember seeing anyone else in this thread mention either of these problems. Should I go for set number three or is it something an ISF calibration might fix?

i think u should get another new set
post #7816 of 12092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D View Post

I feel like I have been robbed. I wait until the 5668 is available in my local stores then finally buy the set only to find out a flipin week later a newer and better model will soon be out for about the same price I just paid.

Do you feel robbed that Dell releases a new computer every six months that is more powerful and cost the same? As a former HLP owner who now owns and 6178 HLR I noticed incremental improvements but nothing earth shattering. I can guarentee you this, if you wait 6 months for the HLS models to become available for purchase you will be again dissapointed 6 months after that when they release the HLT in 2007. I'm hoping to watch my third consecutive Patriots Superbowl victory on my Samsung DLP. Have fun watching your 26" CRT while you wait.

To all you moaning about the lack of 1080P over HDMI, did you notice that Samsung's BlueRay player due out in April will only support 1080i?

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/01...sung/index.php
post #7817 of 12092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D View Post

I'm trying to decide which looks better on my 5668. If I input a 720p DVD movie and then set it to 1080i (both via hdmi) they both look great. What do all of you think looks better?


Well, all current DVD movies are at 540 lines of res. right? So your DVD changer is upscaling to 720p then the TV is upscaling again to 1080p? That is two upscaling passes. I just recently did a bit of toying with my 6168 and my Panny S97 DVD player. I found that bar none (surprise) the 1080i output of the DVD yielded the best picture. Tweaking the AV Enhance settings on the DVD pretty much eliminates the majority of macroblocking, at least in tmy test materials.

I would say all the comments I have seen are correct regarding decreasing processing when possible. The fewer upscaling passes the better. I would output at 1080i and call it good.

Works for me at least. YMMV

Cheers,
Wiley
post #7818 of 12092
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCSB View Post

I agree. A 1080p HDMI upgrade would be great. I wonder how hard that would be given the fact that the TV has a separate HDMI card.

My guess is the HDMI is a fairly dumbed down I/O card and there is processing done beyond that. Probably not as simple as upgrading the I/O.

If you look at the pending Blu-ray/HD DVD releases, some are pressing forward with 1080i vs. 1080p machines. That could be driven on the set side because so few can accept the progressive input, but it could also be a chipset availability issue.

Guess it's time to dig through the trade industry pubs to see what's cooking on the hardware side.
post #7819 of 12092
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2hometheater View Post

...As a former HLP owner who now owns and 6178 HLR I noticed incremental improvements but nothing earth shattering

It is interesting to note that like you, there are a number of 1080P owners who have upgraded from earlier Samsung DLPs. What do you all do with your old models? Do any stores take trade-ins (I certainly haven't heard of it)? Do you Ebay them for local delivery only? Run local want adds? Just curious.
post #7820 of 12092
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93SHOcar View Post

It is interesting to note that like you, there are a number of 1080P owners who have upgraded from earlier Samsung DLPs. What do you all do with your old models? Do any stores take trade-ins (I certainly haven't heard of it)? Do you Ebay them for local delivery only? Run local want adds? Just curious.

I've had good success selling larger items on craigslist.org. Recently sold my older Mits RPTV over there.
post #7821 of 12092
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93SHOcar View Post

It is interesting to note that like you, there are a number of 1080P owners who have upgraded from earlier Samsung DLPs. What do you all do with your old models? Do any stores take trade-ins (I certainly haven't heard of it)? Do you Ebay them for local delivery only? Run local want adds? Just curious.

I upgraded to a 5668 and will be giving my old JVC 46 inch to my mother. For her this will be a huge upgrade from her very old 30 inch crt.
post #7822 of 12092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D View Post

I feel like I have been robbed. I wait until the 5668 is available in my local stores then finally buy the set only to find out a flipin week later a newer and better model will soon be out for about the same price I just paid.

Just got a 6178 a month ago. Love the set, BUUUUT I have issues with RBE and lip sync. I would have waited for the LED DLP. I hear that only the 56" will be released this year, so I may have to wait longer for the 61". No perfect answer!

I wonder what the market expectations are for turnover on these $4,000 sets. I went into the purchase with a 5-year plan. I don't know if I can make it stick, but my wife will make it stick.
post #7823 of 12092
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCSB View Post

Question 1: That is normal and is in the signal being received by your 811 Dish HD STB. It is not a problem with the TV.

Question 2: The only audio delay fix is to route the audio through the TV ... this will solve the problem, but you will lost DD 5.1 sound. So your best bet is the Felston, which will work correctly with your receiver.

Reg. 1) I have had this problem and it went away (almost completely) when I turned off some of those knobs in the SM which supposedly disable DNIE. So, while I am not disputing the fact that the little squares may be caused by some fault in the content itself, it can be taken care of by removing DNIE on the TV.
post #7824 of 12092
Does anyone how long the lamp lasts in these TVs?
I have an HL-R5078W.
How much do they cost?
I was told 8000 hrs at Tweeter, and appx. $250.
post #7825 of 12092
They may tell you that it is an 8000 hr bulb, but the replacements are only guaranteed for 90 days.... really hard to get 8000 hrs. in 90 days...... about 2100 hrs. in 90 days....

I got 6000 hrs out of my first bulb on my HLN5065

Don
post #7826 of 12092
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCSB View Post

No ... the TV has a very wide horizontal viewing angle (160 degrees). How high is your stand?

I have the stand shown with the TV on samsung website. I believe the height is 19". I can still view the TV at 160 degrees...its just that grass seems greener than the other half when watching from a slight angle. Thanks.

Jae
post #7827 of 12092
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HongE81 View Post

I have the stand shown with the TV on samsung website. I believe the height is 19". I can still view the TV at 160 degrees...its just that grass seems greener than the other half when watching from a slight angle. Thanks.

Jae

I always watch my set from an angle and I haven't noticed this problem.
post #7828 of 12092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1959 View Post

They may tell you that it is an 8000 hr bulb, but the replacements are only guaranteed for 90 days.... really hard to get 8000 hrs. in 90 days...... about 2100 hrs. in 90 days....

I got 6000 hrs out of my first bulb on my HLN5065

Don

Where is it that you check how many hours that you have used the bulb?

Also, any tips for making the bulb last? I never use the dynamic setting. It's either standard or movie, sometimes custom which has everything turned down.

How about time between turning the TV on and off or off and on. Does that affect lamp life?
post #7829 of 12092
Quote:
Originally Posted by HongE81 View Post

I have the stand shown with the TV on samsung website. I believe the height is 19". I can still view the TV at 160 degrees...its just that grass seems greener than the other half when watching from a slight angle. Thanks.

Jae


The grass is ALWAYS greener than the other half.....sorry I just couldn't resist.
post #7830 of 12092
I wonder if the difference in color has more to do with the difference of room lighting or something other than the TV itself? I usually sit at a sharp angle on the right side of the set. I have a window on the left wall near the set and a light on the ceiling in front of the set. Those don't seem to make a difference, however I wonder if I were able to sit at the same angle on the left side if the color would look different?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLRxxx8W DLP Models