or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › >>> The Official Sony Grand Wega V (A10 series) Thread <<<
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

>>> The Official Sony Grand Wega V (A10 series) Thread <<< - Page 2

post #31 of 10847
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoote View Post

A10 Series Inputs:

Input(s): PC Input (D-sub 15) + Audio Input (Stereo Mini) 1 (1 Front 1 / 0 Rear)

I know you copied this right from SonyStyle, but it's some sort of a typo. The manual clearly shows the PC input and its corresponding audio input on the rear of the TV, not the front. Actually, looking at it closer, I have no idea what "(1 Front 1 / 0 Rear)" is supposed to mean; at first I thought it was saying it was in the front. Anyways, I think it should be "(0 Front / 1 Rear)".

Just pointing this out since it's one of my major gripes on some of the Panasonic sets.. they only have it on the front.
post #32 of 10847
It takes a brave man/woman to spend two thousand or more dollars on an item that they have never actually seen/tried. Patience...

I personally will not buy one until I can see one first, and read the opinions of the fine folks here.

Having said all that, I did buy a car once without ever driving a model like it (I did sit in one first). This decision was based on purely on the reputation of Toyota, and the total disregard for car salespeople. I got lucky and still like it 7 years later. YMMV.

I suspect that some buyers of DLP technology buy sets without seeing one first, only to be disappointed that they see rainbows.

Yet another consideration is the example of the Dell 42" TV. I almost bought one, but cancelled when I started seeing reports of problems. It might be prudent to wait until people live with them for a month or two.

My $.02 worth.
post #33 of 10847
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper78 View Post

I know you copied this right from SonyStyle, but it's some sort of a typo. The manual clearly shows the PC input and its corresponding audio input on the rear of the TV, not the front. Actually, looking at it closer, I have no idea what "(1 Front 1 / 0 Rear)" is supposed to mean; at first I thought it was saying it was in the front. Anyways, I think it should be "(0 Front / 1 Rear)".

Just pointing this out since it's one of my major gripes on some of the Panasonic sets.. they only have it on the front.

I've seen it in person - the PC input is indeed on the back of the set, not the front (or side).
post #34 of 10847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley View Post

How is the SDE on the 50" A10? I was looking at the previous model 3LCD 55" model and it's fairly noticeable (especially to my wife). Would it be less noticeable on the 42"?

No SDE that I could tell at 10' back of the 50A10. I did notice SSE, but no worse than any other microdisplay - and personally, SSE doesn't really bother my viewing experience much.
post #35 of 10847
notreally -- What store and how special was the price at your store?
post #36 of 10847
Whats SSE stand for?

Chris
post #37 of 10847
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris2o0o View Post

Whats SSE stand for?

Chris

Silk Screen Effect...I believe where white areas or very light areas of the picture tend to have a sparkle or glimmering effect to them. I've read on other posts that it's due to the nature of the screen that's in all rear-proj. sets.
post #38 of 10847
Quote:
Originally Posted by abward View Post

It takes a brave man/woman to spend two thousand or more dollars on an item that they have never actually seen/tried. Patience...

I personally will not buy one until I can see one first, and read the opinions of the fine folks here.

I tend to agree, however, in this case we're talking about minor technological improvements to a proven item. I'd be less concerned about dropping a dollar sight-unseen than on something that contains overly new technology.

The addition of the iris is important to most people, but it's just a small electromechanical device that has been used for years in other things (cameras, etc), so it's a proven technology that is being used here for the first time perhaps, but in a fairly basic form.

If the A10's don't hit the stores before 8/3, I'll probably return my 655 and put my 27" back in place until they do. Not because I'm afraid of ordering sight unseen, but rather because I'd rather pick it up and bring it home myself.
post #39 of 10847
My biggest questions related to these sets are:

What's the advertised and measured contrast ratio?

Is there much lag with 480i and 480p sources (think classic game consoles, and lip synch with cable/laserdisc/etc)?

Is there a front 'glare' protective screen?

Any improvements in vertical banding?

What's the response time? I don't want blur with 720 60p (think Xbox 360 and ESPN HD).


Of course, I know it's kind of early to expect answers to these questions. I'd love to see a full ISF analysis on these sets out of the box.
post #40 of 10847
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper78 View Post

I know you copied this right from SonyStyle, but it's some sort of a typo. The manual clearly shows the PC input and its corresponding audio input on the rear of the TV, not the front. Actually, looking at it closer, I have no idea what "(1 Front 1 / 0 Rear)" is supposed to mean; at first I thought it was saying it was in the front. Anyways, I think it should be "(0 Front / 1 Rear)".

Just pointing this out since it's one of my major gripes on some of the Panasonic sets.. they only have it on the front.

Thanks for the info, I'll go ahead and update.
post #41 of 10847
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by abward View Post

I suspect that some buyers of DLP technology buy sets without seeing one first, only to be disappointed that they see rainbows.

Yet another consideration is the example of the Dell 42" TV. I almost bought one, but cancelled when I started seeing reports of problems. It might be prudent to wait until people live with them for a month or two.

My $.02 worth.

I agree, this is a pricey purchase (for me anyways). I'll be interested to see what the initial owners have to say and what others think about it once it hits the stores. I think things will become a lot more lively once they hit the major chains, which would be very soon.

DLP is out for me because I can see rainbows
post #42 of 10847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael St. Clair View Post

What's the advertised and measured contrast ratio?

As of yet their is no advertised CR but for measured CR I would predict they will have around 2000 to 2500 on/off CR. This is based on the measured contrast ratio of the HS51. Also the highest measured on/off CR I have ever heard for a fixed pixel display was 4200 and that was for a $10,000+ front projector DLP. For most RP LCDs the measured on/off CR is only around 800 so reaching 2000 would be quite an accomplishment for a RP LCD.


My main question about the A10's is whether or not they can accept 1:1 pixel mapping over the HDMI/VGA inputs. That is because I would use the HDMI input for the PS3 and the VGA input for the X-box 360. Consoles, and computers, always do best with 1:1 pixel mapping so those two questions would heavily affect my decision to buy one of the A10's. I wouldn't even mind having to mess around in the service menu as long as their was some way to get 1:1 pixel mapping for those inputs.
post #43 of 10847
Does anyone know yet how the sound of the new Sony 3LCD 50" compares to the 50" Sammy DLP. I use the TV speakers only and consider my HLN437W sound to be a very high quality......not tinny with sufficient bass to sound "full". Any comments and comparisions to the sound quality would be appreciated. I intend to get the Sony KDF-E50A10 as soon as I can sell my DLP.
post #44 of 10847
I am also interested in the sound quality since I don't use my surround sound system for most of my tv watching. My 4-yr old Proscan has an external speaker connection to which I have fairly large 3-way speakers(w/10-in woofer) attached. The tv's amp handles them well with full bass. I wish more manufacturers added this simple connection on their sets. If only I knew of an easy way to get into the A10 and bypass the internal speakers.... I'm somewhat concerned the sound won't be at all great on these new sets.
post #45 of 10847
Quote:


My main question about the A10's is whether or not they can accept 1:1 pixel mapping over the HDMI/VGA inputs.

The owner's manual says the closest thing is 1280x768 over the 'PC Input', so that's a little troublesome.

I'll use a component input for the Xbox 360 if I have to.
post #46 of 10847
As far as buying one sight-unseen is concerned, here's a couple of anecdotes that are making me seriously consider (pre)ordering one:

I was at a home theater store yesterday (Barrett's) and asked if they had the 50A10 in stock. They didn't - they're supposed to get them in on Aug 12 - and then I asked about the 42A10 and we talked about some things and to make a long story short he actually suggested that I order the 42 on the Sony site since he said the Sonystyle price for the 42 was pretty much their cost and that he's seen this in the past with Sony where once the unit hits the shelves they pop up to MSRP. So, that got me thinking. Afterall, why would the salesman suggest I go and buy it elsewhere?

Then, I spent some time looking at the 42WE655 (the "42A10 predecessor") and the 55A20 (which at least shares the new Wega stuff as the A10) and these sets looked great. And, I noticed a better picture on the A20 than the 55whatever655predecessor model next to it.

So, the way I see it is that Sony knows what they are doing when it comes to these LCD rear projector sets. The outgoing 42 looks great so I would only expect greater things from the 42A10 plus comparing the 55A20 to the outgoing 55 model indicates that Sony has indeed improved things even without the dynamic iris. Throw in the salesman's statement about pricing and throw in the fact that I have a Sonystyle store within 30 minutes of home making it relatively easy to return the unit if it turns out to be a dud, and I'm seriously considering preordering one of these puppies.

Can anyone talk me out of it? Seriously, please try - I might learn something.

Thanks,


Mitch
post #47 of 10847
I believe the MSRP on the new A10's is $1999 and $2499. I don't see why SonyStyle would increase the price later on unless they raise the MSRP across the board.
post #48 of 10847
A month ago, the press releases said something like $2399 and $2899 respectively. It was kind of a pleasant surprise when they showed up on SonyStyle for $400 less. But that's why some are speculating that the price will go up in a few weeks or we're seeing some sort of introductory pricing.
post #49 of 10847
Thread Starter 
That would be very interesting, but I'm not sure I could see Sony doing such a thing. Usually you see smaller business publishing 'introductory' pricing but not such a huge company like Sony. Interesting, does anyone remember when the WF's came out if the website price went up?

Chris
post #50 of 10847
Just ordered mine 50" A10 today. Should have it on Saturday. I could of got it on Tuesday but I am moving at the end of the week and don't really want to move it all over the place. I will post a review and some pictures as soon as I get it.
post #51 of 10847
Heard through a trusted source, 1 of the B&M retailers show dates of about 3weeks into August for the 50 A10.
post #52 of 10847
Was at bb yesterday, the 50a10 is in their system for approx 8/21-8/24. Sound advice (tweeters) has a date of approx 8/11 in so.fla. CC had no approx date.
post #53 of 10847
I highly doubt Sony will increase its price on the website "after" they are widely released. The goal with these sets is to sell as many as possible. That's why they are so competitely priced to begin with. Anyway, dealer cost is closer $1800 for the 50 A10.
post #54 of 10847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwater View Post

notreally -- What store and how special was the price at your store?

As a retailer, it isn't considered ethical, by site rule to list prices. Our store is in Toto land. Thanks for asking
post #55 of 10847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post

As far as buying one sight-unseen is concerned, here's a couple of anecdotes that are making me seriously consider (pre)ordering one:

I was at a home theater store yesterday (Barrett's) and asked if they had the 50A10 in stock. They didn't - they're supposed to get them in on Aug 12 - and then I asked about the 42A10 and we talked about some things and to make a long story short he actually suggested that I order the 42 on the Sony site since he said the Sonystyle price for the 42 was pretty much their cost and that he's seen this in the past with Sony where once the unit hits the shelves they pop up to MSRP. So, that got me thinking. Afterall, why would the salesman suggest I go and buy it elsewhere?

Then, I spent some time looking at the 42WE655 (the "42A10 predecessor") and the 55A20 (which at least shares the new Wega stuff as the A10) and these sets looked great. And, I noticed a better picture on the A20 than the 55whatever655predecessor model next to it.

So, the way I see it is that Sony knows what they are doing when it comes to these LCD rear projector sets. The outgoing 42 looks great so I would only expect greater things from the 42A10 plus comparing the 55A20 to the outgoing 55 model indicates that Sony has indeed improved things even without the dynamic iris. Throw in the salesman's statement about pricing and throw in the fact that I have a Sonystyle store within 30 minutes of home making it relatively easy to return the unit if it turns out to be a dud, and I'm seriously considering preordering one of these puppies.

Can anyone talk me out of it? Seriously, please try - I might learn something.

Thanks,


Mitch

The store's buyer shoul have been able to verify the new price with his Sony rep.
post #56 of 10847
Quote:
Originally Posted by GobbityGotz View Post

I highly doubt Sony will increase its price on the website "after" they are widely released. The goal with these sets is to sell as many as possible. That's why they are so competitely priced to begin with. Anyway, dealer cost is closer $1800 for the 50 A10.


Interesting. I wonder if the sales guy was looking at his cost for the 50A10 and comparing that to the cost of the 42A10 on SonyStyle. Hmmm. In fact, that's probably what was going on.

OK. I think I'm going to sit tight and wait as long as possible and see what happens.


Mitch
post #57 of 10847
Can anybody give me base dimensions of the E50A10 please. Also distance between rubber (or whatever) feet if present on the base.

Thanks
post #58 of 10847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Man View Post

Can anybody give me base dimensions of the E50A10 please. Also distance between rubber (or whatever) feet if present on the base.

Thanks

I'm also interested in these measurements. I want to build a stand and would like to know how big the TV is exactly.
post #59 of 10847
According to SonyStyle, the set is: 46 5/8"×32 5/8"×16 1/8"

And the stand is: 42 7/8" x 28" x 19 7/8"

The TV on the stand will be over 60" high? Somebody please tell me this is not right. This is too tall for a 50" set IMO!
post #60 of 10847
Need the base dimensions as my existing stand is exactly 42" wide.

Thank you somebody.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › >>> The Official Sony Grand Wega V (A10 series) Thread <<<