or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns - Page 4

post #91 of 290
Can anyone tell me wich files would be usefull to me and how to use them on my Panny ae900?

I am no callibration wizard infact this is the first time i have ever entered this forum.
post #92 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post

I've added a new pattern. It's a combined luma and chroma frequency sweep.

http://www.w6rz.net/sweeps.zip

Ron

Excellent disc! If I could, I would like to request some additional patterns for consideration please:

a) please add a 75% white to the Color Patterns for both Rec 709 and 601 (so we have r,g,b,y,c,m and now White too). My software package prompts me to measure white in addition to the primaries and secondaries, and without this I do not have a 75% white anywhere else on the disc to use (and it needs to match the 75% of the other colors).

b) please consider making the color patterns also available at 100%

c) please add a set of IRE windows that go by 5 IREs (5, 10, 15 etc). Or if not then please add a single 5 IRE window. I can measure accurately at 5 IRE and like to dial that in.

d) please consider adding a pattern that consists of 6 horizontal bars from 0 to 10 IRE (0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10) as this helps give a good idea of how things hold up in the low end.

Thank you!
post #93 of 290
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Excellent disc! If I could, I would like to request some additional patterns for consideration please:

a) please add a 75% white to the Color Patterns for both Rec 709 and 601 (so we have r,g,b,y,c,m and now White too). My software package prompts me to measure white in addition to the primaries and secondaries, and without this I do not have a 75% white anywhere else on the disc to use (and it needs to match the 75% of the other colors).

b) please consider making the color patterns also available at 100%

c) please add a set of IRE windows that go by 5 IREs (5, 10, 15 etc). Or if not then please add a single 5 IRE window. I can measure accurately at 5 IRE and like to dial that in.

d) please consider adding a pattern that consists of 6 horizontal bars from 0 to 10 IRE (0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10) as this helps give a good idea of how things hold up in the low end.

Thank you!

Sure, those are all very easy. On the 6 bar low IRE pattern, "horizontal" is a little ambiguous. Do you want this:

or this:


Ron
post #94 of 290
Hi Ron - regarding the 6 step 0-10 IRE pattern - originally I was thinking the 2nd one. However after seeing this it is obviously that going with the first one (top image) would be much better because the bars are "thicker" and will be easier to judge color shifts/differences as a result. This is also more consistent with the orientation of most IRE bar patterns. So in summary, please use the style as shown in your top (first) image. Thanks!
post #95 of 290
Ron great work!! I would love to see some AVIA style color bars with the flashing boxes. The flashing boxes make it a ton easier to get your adjusts just right. Is this doable?
post #96 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post

Sure, those are all very easy. On the 6 bar low IRE pattern, "horizontal" is a little ambiguous. Do you want this:

or this:


Ron

I see banding!!!


post #97 of 290
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

I see banding!!!



Actually, I brightened those images a little so that all the bars could be easily seen. Here's the pattern at the proper levels.



I'm wondering if a 0 to 20 IRE pattern (also at proper levels) would be better?



Ron
post #98 of 290
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL_HD_Guy View Post

Ron great work!! I would love to see some AVIA style color bars with the flashing boxes. The flashing boxes make it a ton easier to get your adjusts just right. Is this doable?

Flashing is easy. I'll have to find my Avia disc to remember what the patterns look like.

Ron
post #99 of 290
Hi Ron -

I haven't checked them all but, is one of these a 24p moving vertical chroma (only) resolution test pattern? It would be interesting to see if the different blue laser DVD players have more or less vertical chroma rez due to a pass through 1080i processing.

- Tom
post #100 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post

Flashing is easy. I'll have to find my Avia disc to remember what the patterns look like.

Ron

That is a good idea, I find that the flashing colorbar boxes aid with precision.
post #101 of 290
That's great! I find the AVIA patterns are easier to use than DVE. You can find a nice screen shot of the color bars with flashing squares here: zapped by jr poster policy

More specifically this is the image: zapped by jr poster policy

Eric

See PM for URL's Thanks!
post #102 of 290
Cool
post #103 of 290
I burned the HD test patterns iso on dvd, it does not play on my xbox 360, what am I doing wrong?
post #104 of 290
The 360 needs a different chapter marking setup.

There is a different thread with instructions and a download for a 360 friendly disc.
post #105 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

The 360 needs a different chapter marking setup.

There is a different thread with instructions and a download for a 360 friendly disc.

Could you link me to it my friend?
post #106 of 290
sorry, calibration newby.

is there a thread that explains what they do/how to use all these test streams?

I have the hd-dvd up and running and also all the files on my PS3. I own Avia and have used it serveral times

thanks
Jeff
post #107 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganza_BPS View Post

Could you link me to it my friend?

Here you go.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9004903
post #108 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

Here you go.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9004903

Thank You.
post #109 of 290
Also check the following. There may be an update tonight.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9530387
post #110 of 290
Has anyone tried transferring the .ts files to their Tivo(HR10-250 or Series 3)? I would think a .ts file is a .ts file, but wanted to make sure before going through the hassle of getting into my tivo. I'd like to have these come from the "source" to adjust for any discrepencies.
thanks
dug
post #111 of 290
How can you get a .ts file into a S3? That would be very nice to get these loaded there.
post #112 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

How can you get a .ts file into a S3? That would be very nice to get these loaded there.

I don't know, I thought they were as open as the series 2's. I have the D* version. I was just specifying an HD tivo not SD. Sorry about the confusion...

edit, nevermind, I'd have to convert it to a .ty file....
post #113 of 290
Nope. They are closed tight as a.... Well, they have them locked down tight. You can't even use the SATA port that's built in, or any of the Tivo sharing between boxes stuff. Just hoped you had heard some hack to do it. I haven't had time to watch for one.

That does bring up an interesting idea though. Not to get OT but if one had a Sencore ATSc generator for a couple hours you could record the patterns via the Antenna port. That woudl be cool. Anyone have a Sencore HD I can borrow
post #114 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bester View Post

Has anyone tried transferring the .ts files to their Tivo(HR10-250 or Series 3)? I would think a .ts file is a .ts file, but wanted to make sure before going through the hassle of getting into my tivo. I'd like to have these come from the "source" to adjust for any discrepencies.
thanks
dug

I've recently loaded some of these .ts files onto my HR10-250.

Basic process is convert .ts to .mpg via HDTVtoMPEG2 and then to .ty via FFMPEG. Resulting .ty file is then put onto HR10-250 via MFS_FTP. Of couse, all this assumes you have a hacked tivo with network access.

Files play fine, and although I've not yet done any calibration with these files, they seem to be intact.

Jeff
post #115 of 290
Thanks,
I've converted the .ts to .ty using tyffmpeg, but I need to work out the insertion using MFS_FTP. I'm new to all of this stuff.

edit, After converting, did your files shrink? I asked on elsewhere, but I used the -acodec copy and -vcodec copy flags in ffmpeg and the irewindows went from 70Mb to 7Mb...

* disclaimer, I am not trying to take anything off the tivo....
post #116 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bester View Post

edit, After converting, did your files shrink? I asked on elsewhere, but I used the -acodec copy and -vcodec copy flags in ffmpeg and the irewindows went from 70Mb to 7Mb...

Yes they did shrink. Converting to MPG in HDTVtoMPEG2 reduced the file sizes. Not sure why. For example Bars709 went from 70,102KB down to 7,085KB. It was further reduced to 6,402KB after running through FFMPEG. I know that these files zip well as they are very redundant, maybe that has something to do with the decrease in file size. Don't know if their quality was reduced.

Jeff
post #117 of 290
The true test is to convert back the other way (when possible) and see if there were losses on the resulting images.
post #118 of 290
I am pretty sure the TS are packed with NULL packets to fill them out to 19.2Mbps. HDTVtoMPEG2 removes them thus the file size shrinkage. Most of the clips are non moving patterns so actual data rate should be very small.
post #119 of 290
yeah bars709 is 90.2% NULL packets. I use TSReader lite to look out what is in the transport stream, cool program
post #120 of 290
Thanks, that makes me worry a bit less that I am screwing something up...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns