or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › SIMA CT-2 or the SIMA CT-200: Which is better?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SIMA CT-2 or the SIMA CT-200: Which is better? - Page 3

post #61 of 189
I doubt Macrovision will ever go after any people unless they are selling copies of DVDs but they will go after first companies that make them, then companies that import them & then places that sell them.

In otherwords dry up the sources for the fliters so the average consumer can't get his hands on one.
post #62 of 189
Thread Starter 
Yeah Bill1313. That makes much more sense. The regular individual has nothing to fear. Unless of course they are doing exactly what you are saying then they SHOULD go down.

PhantomGremlin,

I agree with your friend on rebates. I think I have only used 3-4 rebates(including the SIMA one being the latest) over the last couple years. Results are mixed.

I got a $30 rebate from Warner Bros for DVD purchases(ER 1-3). My Sirius $50 rebate was a yearlong FIASCO that finally got resolved about a month ago. But it took alot of e-mails/phone calls/faxing by me to finally get it. There system is completely screwed up.

Rebates as a whole should be taken out at the register immediately IMHO. Let the big companies(the B&M store and the manufacturer) fight it out and leave the customer out of it. Let them fight it out as to who owes who what, and let the customer be.

That would be a nice change. Never going to happen, unless congress gets involved.
post #63 of 189
Your totaly right when it comes to the stores handling rebates but after being in the retail business you quickly learn that there are a ton of people that will NEVER redeem the Rebates or use Coupons & the companies count on this to be able to advertise a lower price on a product knowing that they will only have to sell it at that price to a very small % of people.

Hate to say it but if everyone got their Rebates companies would either stop using them or not lower the price as much on their products.

So you can thank all the people that don't use rebates & coupons for getting you a better deal on products.

The big problem I see on rebates is that just about all companies farm out their rebates to marketing companies & some are good & some are bad like anything else but what I've never understood is how a company can let some BAD Marketing Outfit ruin their name over some silly rebate & some companies are now starting to take that into account before they use Rebates.
post #64 of 189
Does CT-200 remove "one copy only" broadcast flag?
post #65 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrecorder View Post

Okay, but to me, when I watch a vhs COPY tape, SHOULDN`T
the Macrovision be gone? SINCE I`m going through the
Copy Master, THEN the SCC-2, THEN the CT-2. I would guess that
there would be no difference than watching a pre-recorded vhs tape.
OR, is the Macrovision AMPLIFIED because I did NOT have the SCC-2
in the line BUT I DID have the Copy Master and THEN the CT-2?
What gives?
What`s the answer?

I JUST bought the Sima CT-200 and
I notice SOME of the color bleeding is gone, HOWEVER, There`s a
GREEN STRIPE across my screen from left to right on a couple
of my VIDEOTAPES. I took the CT-2 OUT and put IN the CT-200.
Playback of VIDEOTAPES are not good, there seems to be a WASHED OUT
effect, and the picture is too bright. Is THIS the black level bug?
post #66 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudytx View Post

Looks like the CT 200 is an upgrade of the CT 2

You can buy a CT200 at Compusa this week for $49.99 after MIR (Go to Compusa, the product on sale is actually a CT200). I bought one today for $49.99 after $20 MIR. Rebate also lists CT200.



would you still have a copy of the rebate form? I also purchased one at CompUsa but forgot to make a copy of the rebate form before mailing it in, I checked the website for my rebate and it says "no submission found", how long does it take for submission, I sent mine in on Aug. 22, 2005, thanks
mine is CT-200 model by the way
post #67 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

Oops. Yes I meant to type CompUSA.

Based on reports from this forum "a friend" bought one of these devices for cash from CompUSA. I have it on good authority that he won't be mailing in the rebate. My "friend" feels the rebates are a hassle in the best of circumstances and he doesn't usually bother with them.

My guess is that CompUSA won't be restocking this item. When the price is cut so drastically that's usually an indication that the item will be gone for good after the sale is over. Why? I don't know, but maybe Macrovision leaned on CompUSA and in response CompUSA's lawyers said to their management: "get rid of this, we're not making enough money on it for us to deal with with legal hassles".

I agree there is nothing illegal about buying the devices. IANAL, but if Macrovision wins its suit (and wins appeals) it could sue owners of this device for using their patent without a license. That's a civil procedure not a criminal one. And it doesn't matter if you bought it in good faith. If it's patented and you don't have a license then you can't use it (except for limited exceptions).

Not trying to flame you Phantom Gremlin, but I would say it is HIGHLY unlikely that Macrovision would go after consumers. First off how would they know who owns the ct-200's, ct-2's, etc.? Someone could of purchased it as a gift, it could of broken since it was purchased, paid with cash, theres far to many variables for a judge to give Macrovision a warrant (which is what they'd need) in order to make Sima furnish them with a list of consumers they MAY know owns one of there products. Even if Macro wins there lawsuit (which I think they prob. will) against Sima they aren't entitled to that info. One has nothing to do with the other. Now the Sima is capable of brightening, darkening, etc. images. That is not illegal. How does Macro know that the owners of these devices aren't simply using them to improve there picture? They don't, and can't prove it. I'm not even touching fair copy use ground, wouldn't need to. There are to many variables for Macro to go after consumers even if they beat Sima in court. Plus would you want to spend money on anything Macrovision had to do with if you knew they were going after your average joe in a court of law? I wouldn't, and think many would agree. Macro would stand to loose boatloads of money and would never win in court. (against consumers) Won't happen. I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts on this one.
post #68 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoMP5 View Post

Not trying to flame you Phantom Gremlin, but I would say it is HIGHLY unlikely that Macrovision would go after consumers.

Even if Macro wins there lawsuit (which I think they prob. will) against Sima they aren't entitled to that info. One has nothing to do with the other.

I agree with you. Macrovision won't go after consumers. But they could take other actions. For example, ask fleabay to not allow resale of the devices.

I disagree with you on whether or not Macrovision gets a customer list (e.g. who got a rebate). I think they will. It will be part of a settlement or part of a judgement against Sima. I don't know what Macrovision will do with that information since they won't be using it to harass consumers. But I think they will have it.

Time will tell.
post #69 of 189
I don't think they would even want a list unless in part of the settlement Sima had to notify customers not to use the devices anymore for copying & Macrovision wanted to check up to see if customers had been notified.

Believe me they will never go after consumers unless they are selling the copies they make & in big numbers & if they did you in turn could probably sue whoever sold the unit to you?

What they will probably look to do is get it off the market & then add another small thing to the macrovision so the Sima units & others will no longer work & if they win they now can go after any company that gets anywhere near their patent rights when they try to build another new filter to bust the new system.
post #70 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrecorder View Post

Hi, I have a slight problem. I have the Sima SCC-2 AND THEN the Sima CT-2
hooked up. Now so far, they PLAY DVD`s perfectly, I have NOT had a chance to
RECORD with them YET! HOWEVER, when I PLAY back a Macrovision encoded
VHS through them, I STILL get the Dark and Bright background switching.
I have NOT had a chance to RECORD FROM a Macrovision VHS to VHS YET!
I ALSO have a Sima Copy Master SED-CM Going OUT of the VCR TO the
Sima SCC-2, THEN to the CT-2. NOW, is there ANYTHING that I`M MISSING?
OR is the is this the "Black level bug" that everyone here is talking about?
Will buying a Sima CT-200 FIX this problem? OR am I just better off with just
using 1 unit? I tried using the SCC-2 and the CT-2 BY THEMSELVES, and
I had bad luck! Can ANYONE here make a recommendation of what I need
to do to fix this problem?

I just purchased the CT-200 and am having the exact same problem.

I tried to record a copy-protected commercial VHS movie to my Panasonic DMR EH50 and got the Dark and Bright Background switching. This movie is in black-and-white and appears like a flickering of the brightness every second.

My setup is as follow: Composite cable from VCR to CT-200 Composite Input. Composite Cable (included with CT-200) from CT-200 Composite Output to EH50 composite input (IN2 on front). Audio Analog cables from VHS Audio Out to EH50 Audio In (IN2 on front).

At first I used the B/W enhancement setting. Then I tried all of them and got the same damn results.

Is my CT-200 Defective?
post #71 of 189
Bill1313
Advanced Member


Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 666 [b]

HA HA, Bill! You just reached status of "pure evil". Congrats!
post #72 of 189
At one time or another I had all three of the Sima units and sent them all back, I was never happy with the end result, I now use the Logic Design filter and it's perfect, the copy is exactly the same as the original, can't tell the difference, I'm useing it with the Panny E50, it's a great combo, I couldn't be happier.

I did an (a - b) comparision between the Sima 200 and Logic Design Filter, going from my DVD player through the 2 filters hooked directly to a 20 inch widescreen monitor, end result, not even close, Logic Design by a mile.
post #73 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by chole View Post

At one time or another I had all three of the Sima units and sent them all back, I was never happy with the end result, I now use the Logic Design filter and it's perfect, the copy is exactly the same as the original, can't tell the difference, I'm useing it with the Panny E50, it's a great combo, I couldn't be happier.

I did an (a - b) comparision between the Sima 200 and Logic Design Filter, going from my DVD player through the 2 filters hooked directly to a 20 inch widescreen monitor, end result, not even close, Logic Design by a mile.

Right now I am not concerned if the PQ on the end result is not exactly the same as the source.

My concern is whether I have a defective CT-200.

Did you get the flickering (dark/bright) on copy-protected VHS when you connected the Sima between your VCR and DVDR?
post #74 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnvideo View Post

Right now I am not concerned if the PQ on the end result is not exactly the same as the source.

My concern is whether I have a defective CT-200.

Did you get the flickering (dark/bright) on copy-protected VHS when you connected the Sima between your VCR and DVDR?

I only copied (copy protected DVD's) No. I didn't have that problem. I did have to adjust the brightness and wasn't happy with the correction.
post #75 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by chole View Post

I only copied (copy protected DVD's) No. I didn't have that problem. I did have to adjust the brightness and wasn't happy with the correction.

I am not trying copy DVDs. I purchased the CT-200 to preserve (to DVD) some of my commercial VHS Tapes which are copy-protected.

I guess no one here has had the same experience as me.

So tomorrow I'll have to phone Sima.
post #76 of 189
Phoned Sima this morning and the very nice lady told me to try some other VHS tapes to make sure it is the Sima CT-200 causing the problem.

So I did and, amazingly, another VHS copy-protected tape played fine without any signs of macrovision. There was no flickering between dark and bright. I recorded the B/W program to my EH50 and it looked fine.

I then tried two more VHS pre-recorded tapes which would certainly be copy-protected and they were fine too. One was in B/W and the other Color.

So the bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with my CT-200.

But one of my pre-recorded VHS movies still comes through the CT-200 with some flickering as if macrovision is not completed defeated. And I wanted to preserve this movie badly because I doubt if it will ever come to DVD.

Anyone else experience problems with just one or a few VHS copy-protected movies when using the CT-2 or CT-200?
post #77 of 189
Even if the SIMA CT-200 works in most cases, the quality of resulting recordings is not as good as the Video Filter.

captnvideo, if the CT-200 looks good to you, you may be satified with the recording quality but you can't appreciate how much better if could be without trying something else.
post #78 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by chole View Post

At one time or another I had all three of the Sima units and sent them all back, I was never happy with the end result, I now use the Logic Design filter and it's perfect, the copy is exactly the same as the original, can't tell the difference, I'm useing it with the Panny E50, it's a great combo, I couldn't be happier.

I did an (a - b) comparision between the Sima 200 and Logic Design Filter, going from my DVD player through the 2 filters hooked directly to a 20 inch widescreen monitor, end result, not even close, Logic Design by a mile.

Where does one find the Logic Design filter, and what does it cost?
post #79 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Design View Post

Even if the SIMA CT-200 works in most cases, the quality of resulting recordings is not as good as the Video Filter.

captnvideo, if the CT-200 looks good to you, you may be satified with the recording quality but you can't appreciate how much better if could be without trying something else.

I am sure the Video Filter is a quality product but it costs about 2.5 times as much as the CT-200 ($50 after rebate). I cannot see paying that much more money just to try something else. It is just not worth it for me. My main use of the CT-200 will be to record copy-protected VHS material that is not available on DVD, mostly older movies.
post #80 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Where does one find the Logic Design filter, and what does it cost?

Write me a private message and I'll tell you where to look.
post #81 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Design View Post

Even if the SIMA CT-200 works in most cases, the quality of resulting recordings is not as good as the Video Filter.

captnvideo, if the CT-200 looks good to you, you may be satified with the recording quality but you can't appreciate how much better if could be without trying something else.

I am sorry to say that the Sima CT-200 is not working that well at all.

I connected an S-Video cable from my DVD player (Panasonic A320) to the Sima's video input and another S-Video Cable from the Sima's video output to my DMR EH50.

The resulting PQ is way too bright even when I set the Sima to "darker". The black bars on letterbox look gray and the whites are too bright.

On some VHS copy-protected material it works, and on others I get dark/bright flickering.

This is very upsetting to me because I read many user reviews of this product before purchasing it. Most of these reviews were positive.

Any advice here?
post #82 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnvideo View Post

I am sorry to say that the Sima CT-200 is not working that well at all.

I connected an S-Video cable from my DVD player (Panasonic A320) to the Sima's video input and another S-Video Cable from the Sima's video output to my DMR EH50.

The resulting PQ is way too bright even when I set the Sima to "darker". The black bars on letterbox look gray and the whites are too bright.

On some VHS copy-protected material it works, and on others I get dark/bright flickering.

This is very upsetting to me because I read many user reviews of this product before purchasing it. Most of these reviews were positive.

Any advice here?

Yes, return the Sima and get a Video Filter
post #83 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Design View Post

Yes, return the Sima and get a Video Filter

I was thinking about the Sima, but now, not so sure. Could you elaborate on the Video Filter you are talking about? Thankx
post #84 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Design View Post

Yes, return the Sima and get a Video Filter

Unfortunately, it is too late to return the CT-200.

I am starting to think that CompUSA pulled a fast one. I ordered the CT-2 on their website but they shipped the CT-200.

The positive reviews I read were for the CT-2. Could the CT-200 actually be inferior to the CT-2?

I have no doubt that the Video Filter is a superior product and would reproduce DVDs so much better than the Sima.

But I wish there was a way I could try the Video Filter risk free. I am concerned that I will still get that dark/bright flickering on those two copy-protected VHS movies.
post #85 of 189
-Edited Out-
post #86 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnvideo View Post

Unfortunately, it is too late to return the CT-200.

I am starting to think that CompUSA pulled a fast one. I ordered the CT-2 on their website but they shipped the CT-200.

The positive reviews I read were for the CT-2. Could the CT-200 actually be inferior to the CT-2?

I have no doubt that the Video Filter is a superior product and would reproduce DVDs so much better than the Sima.

But I wish there was a way I could try the Video Filter risk free. I am concerned that I will still get that dark/bright flickering on those two copy-protected VHS movies.

I emailed Sima and was advised to return the CT-200 to them as it appeared to be defective. I did so last week.

Yesterday, a new CT-200 arrived without any explanation. I emailed Sima and they replied that my original unit was defective.

I'll give Sima every benefit of the doubt and try the new CT-200 this weekend and report the results.
post #87 of 189
Thread Starter 
Actually I am a bit surprised that Logic Design is even allowed to push his own product here on the Forum. I am surprised the mods have not come down on him yet. Maybe they should be made aware of this.

You people do realize he is the maker of the Video Filter, right? And of course he would tell you to get it because you are giving him your money.

This is not to put down the product. Some people have it and seem satisfied.

I am just confused that the Mods on AVSForum would allow him to promote his own product in the threads.
post #88 of 189
Captnvideo
I got your pm on you were still having trouble with the new ct-200 you received. Thought I would restart this tread. The ct-200 I just purchase I am totally happy with so far. The only thing in question is that it seens to run a little warmer than I think it should.
The quality of the end recording if not same is pretty close to the orignal. Just curious what batch number does yours have on back. My is batch number 9109
I am using a 65" rptv tv at 420p so small details do show up.
post #89 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin1 View Post

Captnvideo
I got your pm on you were still having trouble with the new ct-200 you received. Thought I would restart this tread. The ct-200 I just purchase I am totally happy with so far. The only thing in question is that it seens to run a little warmer than I think it should.
The quality of the end recording if not same is pretty close to the orignal. Just curious what batch number does yours have on back. My is batch number 9109
I am using a 65" rptv tv at 420p so small details do show up.

I own an excellent 32" direct view 480i TV.

I received a reply from Sima today and they said that it is normal for the black bars on the top and bottom of letterbox 4:3 material to be reproduced gray via the CT-200 and that I should adjust the brightness on my TV! Do you find this true?

They cannot come up with a reason why macrovision is not entirely defeated on a few of my copy-protected VHS movies where I get dark/bright flickering and a bit of video instability. They suggested I test this with a 2nd VCR, which I do not own or have access to.

I will look up the batch number when I get home this evening.

For now, it just appears that I am stuck with a product which does not come close to satisfying me.
post #90 of 189
I just don't know. I have just use the ct=200 to copy dvd to dvd so far don't know about vcr tapes. I would think that vcr tapes would be more critical. I have use a video stabilize that I order out of a magazine about 10 or more years ago to copy vcr tapes to vcr tapes. The one I have is just like the one in this link except it just has battery not an ac adapter. I am not reccomending it just showing you what I
have.
http://www.checkhere22.com/stabilizer.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › SIMA CT-2 or the SIMA CT-200: Which is better?