Originally Posted by ChrisC47
Hey kids, I've got some good news on this problem.
Short story: do a TVGOS reset with the code below.
I'd been continuing to have this problem -- the listings would work for a few days at a time, but most of the time they weren't working. The data was still visible by searching for particular programs, and the regular recordings were still happening, so the data was coming in, it just wasn't displaying the listings. And thus I couldn't easily program new recordings, and certainly couldn't just browse the EPG listings.
The Pioneer guy kept calling me back once a week or so to see if my problem was still existing, and I assured him that it was, so he was leaning towards doing an RMA on my unit. I don't want the hassle of losing the use of the unit, and having to dump the recorded shows from HDD to DVD. Further, I think the problem probably has something to do with my particular environment (OTA lineup, VBI signal quality, disc use) that is causing the machine to go nuts, so they probably would have found no problem in the factory anyway. So I rejected the RMA idea.
Two weeks ago he called me with a procedure to try. After you enter the debug code and get to the first grey screen, you then type in 653274147 which is some sort of TVGOS reset; after it comes back you repeat the TVGOS setup (zip code and RF input).
It seems to reset just the listings data -- the channel lineup and recording settings persisted. About 2 days later I had listings building up again. Of course, the reset had indeed wiped out the 8-day accumulation of listings and so it only had the 1-2-8 days at first, but over the next week it all built up again. As long as you do this reset when you're in a period of 2 days of no programmed recordings, I don't think you'll miss any recordings.
It's now two weeks later, and the unit is still working just fine. I haven't lost the listings once since the reset, which is the longest I've gone since my first incident in September. Maybe it'll screw up again soon, but now I think we've got a procedure to at least get it back in a couple days. In my case, I just do the reset over the weekend when I have no regular recordings.
Looking at the debug screens, the only odd thing I see is that lots of the packet counters are sometimes zero'd out, including the Pass / Fail counters and lots of the VBIstats numbers, which are usually very much non-zero. I do see the download history and everything else looks normal, just lots of counters remain at zero.
If it hits again, I'll try this TVGOS reset and report here on the results. For now I'm happy with the unit again.