or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sceptre X37SV-Naga review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sceptre X37SV-Naga review - Page 123

post #3661 of 3746
Hi,
I recently bought my sceptre and am very happy with it. $989 from Newegg
I have tried searching this forum for the answer to my question but have not found any and 125 pages is a lot of reading.

The manual tells you how to set favorites for SD channels. How do you do the same for DTV channels? Also is there any way to remap channels? I dont understand how the channel numbers work for DTV channels. When I look at the EPG I see numbers like 87-1. What numbers do I have to press on the remote to get to that channel? 87? 1?

Thanks.
post #3662 of 3746
hey ive been researching hi defs for a few weeks now on my limited budget. I plan to use it for a good chunk of the time with pc gaming/surfing which is why i opted for a 1080p... as well as movies and limited hdtv depending if i can rip signals from my comcast. Ive come down to this naga and the slightly more expensive and better Sharp LC 32D62U - 32". I was wondering if anyone has had any durabilty problems with the sceptres, as ive read of breakdowns and/or reductions in pic quality over time. Ive considered dishing out the extra few bucks for the sharp but if the naga does preform as well with similar durabilty as most other lcds i see no reason why not to get the bigger naga for less. Also, ive read of sceptres customer service being "less than par" but if your tv does stop working under their year waranty they do usually replace it, correct? What do you guys think?
post #3663 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefgamer View Post

Ive considered dishing out the extra few bucks for the sharp but if the naga does preform as well with similar durabilty as most other lcds i see no reason why not to get the bigger naga for less. Also, ive read of sceptres customer service being "less than par" but if your tv does stop working under their year waranty they do usually replace it, correct? What do you guys think?

I've had my X37SV since March of last year and have had NO problems with it so far. There's no picture quality degradation noticeable. Since I bought it from C*stco under their old policy I can return it to them for a full refund if needed.

My suggestion is to wait for the new 46" Sceptre FullHD that's being sold online by C*stco in August. It should be around the same price as the Sharp after discount.
post #3664 of 3746
I purchased my X37 in December of 2005 and it worked great for my needs, (XBOX 360 w/add on, S-DVD, Dish Satellite HD etc..). Unfortunately, due to an accident, the screen was shattered and now there is no picture.

Contacting Sceptre resulted in a price quote of $1000.00 PLUS SHIPPING! ($200)!!

Well thats not an option, so I replaced the set with a new Samsung 42" and am quite happy with it. But what to do with my Sceptre? I put it in the Sammy box and totally wrapped it up in plastic to keep dust and dirt out. I would like to find a source for just the panel and replace it myself. A good service manual would be helpful too. I'm an electronics tech and used to doing stuff like this so I think I could do it, but if anyone thinks special equipment would be needed, that would be helpful information.

So any information about Sceptre service companies and parts would be greatly appreciated. BTW, only the picture is gone, everything else on the TV still works great.

Thanks in advance!
post #3665 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefgamer View Post

hey ive been researching hi defs for a few weeks now on my limited budget. I plan to use it for a good chunk of the time with pc gaming/surfing which is why i opted for a 1080p... as well as movies and limited hdtv depending if i can rip signals from my comcast. Ive come down to this naga and the slightly more expensive and better Sharp LC 32D62U - 32". I was wondering if anyone has had any durabilty problems with the sceptres, as ive read of breakdowns and/or reductions in pic quality over time. Ive considered dishing out the extra few bucks for the sharp but if the naga does preform as well with similar durabilty as most other lcds i see no reason why not to get the bigger naga for less. Also, ive read of sceptres customer service being "less than par" but if your tv does stop working under their year waranty they do usually replace it, correct? What do you guys think?

I'm actually looking at taking mine back either this month or next month. The hdmi port is one that does not have the screw above it, and so over time it has gotten loose and the connection sometimes jumps or it won't connect at all. It will work for the pc if I use a coffee can to hold th hdmi cable just right, but it won't work at all with the dish network vip 622 receiver. I have to use component again and the picture is much more washed out and it has the dynamic contrast that I can't turn off. I find that "feature" really annoying. you can disable that option over hdmi, but not for anything else. Unfortunatly I swapped the hdmi connection too many times before I broke down and got a switch, and it's now breaking down.

Any suggestions from naga 37 owners on a replacement set? I've been really happy with the performance of this set until recently, especially over hdmi. I'm kind of looking for something in the 46-52 range and below 2.5k.
post #3666 of 3746
I jsut got this screen and when i set the resolution to 1920x1080 while connected to my pc via hdmi/dvi the desktop is outside the viewable area. The start bar, the gadgets and the desktop icons on the right side are all outside the view of the screen. How do I fix this? if i scale the resolution back to 1768x992 I can see everything. This viewable area problem also exists with xbox 360. HELP!
post #3667 of 3746
I just got this screen and when i set the resolution to 1920x1080 while connected to my pc via hdmi/div the desktop is outside the viewable area. The start bar, the gadgets and the desktop icons on the right side are all outside the view of the screen. How do I fix this? if i scale the resolution back to 1768x992 I can see everything. This viewable area problem also exists with xbox 360. HELP!
post #3668 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWUJoe View Post

I just got this screen and when i set the resolution to 1920x1080 while connected to my pc via hdmi/div the desktop is outside the viewable area. The start bar, the gadgets and the desktop icons on the right side are all outside the view of the screen. How do I fix this? if i scale the resolution back to 1768x992 I can see everything. This viewable area problem also exists with xbox 360. HELP!

Make sure you have the input set to DVI for your pc connection.
post #3669 of 3746
I have the below set up:
I have connected the monitor to a computer (Mac Mini) per the instructions in the manual (DVI->HDMI cable connected between HDMI port on tv and DVI port on computer, and 1/8" stereo cable connected between PC Audio In port of tv and headphone jack on computer). When I select the PC Source DVI, it says there is no signal. Did any one experience the same problem? My Wii works fine with the AV1. Please help me identify the issue....
post #3670 of 3746
Does anyone know if component supports 1080p with the newest firmware? Are there still PS3 blue ray issues?
post #3671 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogt3 View Post

Does anyone know if component supports 1080p with the newest firmware? Are there still PS3 blue ray issues?

I can tell you that I have one of the new "blue light" versions and I can not get 1080p working correctly over component on the xbox 360.
post #3672 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaneko View Post

OH ONE WORD OF WARNING!!! I added a new wallpaper yesterday morning and left my Sceptre on all day while I was at work, and what yah know, slight burn in. It's not so bad, noticeable only under certain image conditions (IE, solid blue background). I made sure to enable my screen saver.

Can someone explain this? I thought LCDs didn't burn in?
post #3673 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannadiars View Post

I have the below set up:
I have connected the monitor to a computer (Mac Mini) per the instructions in the manual (DVI->HDMI cable connected between HDMI port on tv and DVI port on computer, and 1/8" stereo cable connected between PC Audio In port of tv and headphone jack on computer). When I select the PC Source DVI, it says there is no signal. Did any one experience the same problem? My Wii works fine with the AV1. Please help me identify the issue....

Note that most DVI output ports supports both analog (DVI-A) & digital (DVI-D) outputs on different pins of the same connector. I would guess Mac Mini drives out the graphics signal on either DVI-A or DVI-D (not both). The HDMI connector only uses DVI-D, so if the Mac is driving the signal on DVI analog, there will be no signal at the HDMI input. I don't know a lot about the Mac, but with a PC there is sometimes an issue where you have to fiddle with the graphics configuration to be sure that digital graphics is default in order to get the PC to drive out DVI-D.

Hope this helps...
post #3674 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkLOLstfu View Post

haha I do! I don't think there will be too many on this forum though. But anyway, I'm thinking about upgrading from my 24" dell to this and am a bit worried about something this big being on my desk. Ths seems like it would be way too big for the distance that I would be sitting at.


HAha i play too. i would love to play on my tv but going to use the monitor. I dont want to buy the cable and the tv is way too far away. I would have to disconnect and reconnect. Whos your fav hero?
post #3675 of 3746
Hi all, I've had this tv/monitor for about a year now and all has been great. I have it hooked up to a HTPC with perfect pixel mapping so the image has been great. However, yesterday when I tried to turn it on it simply wouldn't! No matter what I do, i.e. reconnecting the cable multiple times, using the remote or the power button on the underside, it just appears to be dead. This is on a known good outlet. Has anybody experienced that?

Thankfully I purchased this set from costko before they changed their return policy, but it would still be a giant hassle.
Thank you.
Chris
post #3676 of 3746
Does anybody still have the original box for this TV? I'm willing to pay for shipping and throw in some extra cash if you can send it to me. Just PM me.
post #3677 of 3746
Mine has DIED. I bought it in Dec. of 2005 and last week I went to power it on and nothing. Tried directly plugged in the wall, power switch on the set. nothing. So I returned it to Costco... no questions asked! Got my $1799 back including the $100 mfr rebate and went and bought a Phillips 42" 1080p
post #3678 of 3746
I bought my unit in April 2006 from Costco. Can someone explain what options I have to return it and what the return process entails?

The monitor has had a large noticeable defect/discoloration for close to 6 months now, but I have not been able to return it because I don't own a car.

Thanks.
post #3679 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post

I bought my unit in April 2006 from Costco. Can someone explain what options I have to return it and what the return process entails?

You should be eligible for the original Costco return policy, which was anytime, for any reason, no questions asked. You need to get the unit to a Costco, if possible in its original box, with a receipt. Unless you paid with Costco AMEX, be prepared to get cash in the amount you paid., even if you paid by (other) credit card.

Dave Kristol
post #3680 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by regedit View Post

I purchased my X37 in December of 2005 and it worked great for my needs, (XBOX 360 w/add on, S-DVD, Dish Satellite HD etc..). Unfortunately, due to an accident, the screen was shattered and now there is no picture.

Contacting Sceptre resulted in a price quote of $1000.00 PLUS SHIPPING! ($200)!!!

Hey man, my Sceptre x37sv Naga is dead, had mine for two years and originally paid $1800 from costo.
I need to return my set for refund, but I don't have my stand! And they want the stand... Would you sell you stand to me? I willing to pay reasonable $$. Call me anytime. 760-473-3719 -Juan
Anyone, selling the original stand for this TV? I'll arrange delivery.

Sceptre service center says its a blown power supply and it costs $450 to fix.

Thanks in advance.
post #3681 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrf742002 View Post

Hey man, my Sceptre x37sv Naga is dead, had mine for two years and originally paid $1800 from costo.
I need to return my set for refund, but I don't have my stand! And they want the stand... Would you sell you stand to me? I willing to pay reasonable $$.
Anyone, selling the original stand for this TV? I'll arrange delivery.

Sceptre service center says its a blown power supply and it costs $450 to fix.

Thanks in advance.

I found my stand and was able to return my Sceptre37 to costco. I even got my full refund!.. After owning it for 2 years. That was awesome.
So dove into a Philips 42plf7422D/37. Its looking very nice as my center piece in my living room. Use it most definately for ESPN content. Sceptre 37 = $2000. Refund post 2years = granted. 2K credit = priceless.
check forum. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...42732&page=129
post #3682 of 3746
I just hooked up my new PS3 to my Sceptre 37 using HDMI. I have the same pink crawling dots that other people have noticed. I switched the input to DVI which solves the pink dot problem -- but introduces a new one -- no audio!

I saw some references to fixing the memory timing problem via the diagnostic menu. How do I get there?

To fix the audio problem, I hooked up the AV cables to my TV, a temporary fix.

And there's another problem -- when I use the fake DVI input, BD playback is horrible -- a pink tint everywhere. But when I switch to HDMI (which has the pink dots in the XMB) ... it's perfectly fine. ARGH!
post #3683 of 3746
Without the speakers how wide is the set? I need to know if it will fit in my entertainment center.

I'm looking for the width, without the speakers. And you might as well tell me with them too, Thanks.
post #3684 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammaz View Post

Went to Sceptre today and got my LCD updated to the latest firmware and I can say that ALL ISSUES are fixed concerning HDMI and HDCP inputs.

can you please tell me which firmware version it is by pressing the channel + and - keys simultaneously pleae?

I have what I hope is the newer firmware but wwould like to check what your firmware is.

DEBUG 0119A 02
06/12/07 15:08
T370HW01
1920 X 1080
post #3685 of 3746
anyone? newer, older or the same?
post #3686 of 3746
I just picked up a Toshiba HD-D3 HD-DVD player at C and all I get is a blank blue screen using the HDMI cable included with the D3. If I connect the D3 to the Naga with a component cable it works fine -- except regular DVD upconverting is disabled (gak!!), and I hear there is the potential some HD-DVD discs will not play in full resolution.

I've never used the HDMI port on my Sceptre x37sv Naga, but all the other ports have worked fine. I purchased the Naga at C back in Feb 2006. The firmware is:

Debug 0111
06/01/16 14:58
T370HW01

Any suggestions on a fix? I'd rather not take it back to C for a refund, but if the HDMI won't work I may just do that.
post #3687 of 3746
I have an early Sceptre 37" Naga that I purchased from Costco about 2.5 years ago. Up until about two weeks ago, it has worked great and overall, I've been very happy with it.

Now, after it's been on for about 30 minutes, it suddenly turns off. When this happens, it cannot be turned on with the remote or power button under the bezel. The only option is to unplug it from the wall, wait 5 to 10 seconds and then plug it back in.

Sometimes, it only happens once and then it will stay on fine for the evening. Other times, it shuts down several times within in hour. I have emailed Sceptre tech support but have not heard back yet.

Any ideas???

If it helps, the firmware is:
Debug 0104
05/08/28 23:00
T370HW01

As far as I know, this is what the TV shipped with.

Thanks!
post #3688 of 3746
Anyone know of a way to get audio out when the VGA is being used as component? I don't have a receiver in the room my 37" is now, and this is a major bummer. I'll have to move the Wii into a different room or get a component video switcher :-(
post #3689 of 3746
If I understand your question correctly, you want to connect the audio output from the WII, to the Sceptre and have the audio play through the built-in speakers, whilst WII video is connected up through VGA-YPbPr2 connection? If so, there is a PC audio input on the back of the Sceptre that is active for all "Source PC" inputs except DTV and HDMI. So DVI, HDCP, VGA-PC, VGA-YPbPr2 selections all pass the PC audio input to the speakers and "earphone" jack.

I suppose that you want to do this because you've got something else occupying the other component video input (YPbPr1)? Of course, you'll need the appropriate adapter to go from 3 RCA plug component video to VGA connector. You'll also need an RCA to mini-headphone adapter, to be able to connect the WII's audio output to the Sceptre's PC audio input.

Just so nobody gets the wrong idea here, you cannot connect component video this way to an ordinary computer monitor, since few computer monitors can deal with anything but RGB via VGA connector. The Secptre and maybe some other HDTVs, accept YPbPr component video via VGA connector, in addition to standard RGB.
post #3690 of 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valence01 View Post

ou'll also need an RCA to mini-headphone adapter, to be able to connect the WII's audio output to the Sceptre's PC audio input.

I did not think of that... thanks a lot. I moved the wii back into the game room because of this problem. Yes, I have a component to VGA adapter. I originally used it with the 360 since I was running optical but wanted to put that RGB port to good use so this will work. I'll see if they have one at radio shack. I do see lets of mini stereo headphone to headphone (2 to 1) online but don't see this one yet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sceptre X37SV-Naga review