or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bar plans? - Page 3

post #61 of 854
Nice! The garden gate gives a great look. (When our 10 year old neighbor turns 15 we'll have to start locking our backdoor )
post #62 of 854
Chiliman,

Wonderful space you have there. Re; the sink... We had a large double sink in the counter before I began my project and it was too big. It left me with very little counter top area. I then went with the small bar sink...it's too small. I think (as Goldilocks would say) a single sink will be just right! I plan on putting in a new counter top and single sink.

One other thing...when they turn to teenagers they can be very resourceful....plan on it. Sounds like you are! We already know most of the tricks anyway. I've raised three boys and each of them had their moments!
post #63 of 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

Chiliman,

Wonderful space you have there. Re; the sink... We had a large double sink in the counter before I began my project and it was too big. It left me with very little counter top area. I then went with the small bar sink...it's too small. I think (as Goldilocks would say) a single sink will be just right! I plan on putting in a new counter top and single sink.

One other thing...when they turn to teenagers they can be very resourceful....plan on it. Sounds like you are! We already know most of the tricks anyway. I've raised three boys and each of them had their moments!


The sink thing was from my past experience too. The basement of our last house was very similar but one thing that I was always griping about was if I put 2 glasses in my sink it was full. The one we have now is a good 8 inches deep and 12-14 inches wide.

We'll see how the kids get in there, come 8 years from now, but I won't be too surprised when it happens!

Randy
post #64 of 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

Gotta love when the job calls for a new tool to add to the collection.

Yeah, I just added a cordless angle drill and dremel type tool to my collection. Needed to drill some holes in 2x4 studs and needed the dremel tool to cut circles for in-ceiling speakers. Originally I bought a manual drywall circle cutter for less than $10, but as I was in the HD tool crib I couldn't pass up the $60 cordless tool.
post #65 of 854
Where did you find the glass block design?
post #66 of 854
As far as small sinks go, you could add one of those big laundry type sinks to an adjacent back room. Or if you really hate to do dishes, buy one of those walmart microwave sized dishwashers. I was thinking about buying one...anyone have any experiences using one? or does anyone know how well they work?
post #67 of 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip92 View Post

As far as small sinks go, you could add one of those big laundry type sinks to an adjacent back room. Or if you really hate to do dishes, buy one of those walmart microwave sized dishwashers. I was thinking about buying one...anyone have any experiences using one? or does anyone know how well they work?

Will have to look into that...seems like the perfect thing for washing just glasses...
post #68 of 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

You are right, a different look. Since I'm going more for an Irish/Scottish/English pub look, I don't think I would go with glass, but it is a neat look.

What? You can still have glass block and an Irish/Scottish/English -GERMAN pub look....just not full block .





I'm waiting to cover and complete the bar last since it's the most expensive and time consuming. I wanted to get my HT up and running first!

This is the look I'm going for just with lighter wood and no columns:



I like your fridge. It looks like the same I want to use behind mine. Did you get it at HD?
post #69 of 854
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post

What? You can still have glass block and an Irish/Scottish/English -GERMAN pub look....just not full block .

I'm waiting to cover and complete the bar last since it's the most expensive and time consuming. I wanted to get my HT up and running first!

This is the look I'm going for just with lighter wood and no columns:

I like your fridge. It looks like the same I want to use behind mine. Did you get it at HD?

Very nice. I have been working out of town so haven't made any more progress on my bar, hopefully in a couple of weeks.

I actually got the frig at Sams. Here is the link to it on Wal-Marts site:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3192254
post #70 of 854
Thread Starter 
I have been working out of town and got no farther on my bar. My wife was ever so nice and called our tile guy and had him do the bar top for me! Yea, will save me a ton of time when I get home. And since our tile guy does our stuff "on the side" I know it was really inexpensive! Son is sending me a photo or two.
post #71 of 854
Thread Starter 
My son e-mailed me a couple of pic's. As mentioned, my wife called our tile guy and had the granite tile installed on my bar for me. I travel home tomorrow so hopefully can finish the bar up. From the photos, I like the bar top, I was hoping for a little smaller grout lines, but that is ok. Save me time in doing it myself and was inexpensive (less then $200 labor only).



post #72 of 854
WOW!! What a classy look! I'm going to go find some black granite and change my bar top. I love the look of your bar. Nice work! Have you decided on what kind of bar railing you are going with? Or are you just going to trim the outside?
post #73 of 854
Looking good, Sdallnct...

What kind of finish is that on the front paneling of your bar?
post #74 of 854
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

WOW!! What a classy look! I'm going to go find some black granite and change my bar top. I love the look of your bar. Nice work! Have you decided on what kind of bar railing you are going with? Or are you just going to trim the outside?

I found the black granite tiles at Lowes. I doubt I'm going to put any sort of bar railing, I think I would have had to plan for that before this point, so likely just trim. I had some decorative wood trim I was going to use, but it may be a little busy and take away from the tiles. So I might just stain a piece of plane wood and glue/nail it on.
post #75 of 854
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

Looking good, Sdallnct...

What kind of finish is that on the front paneling of your bar?

Well believe it or not that is really cheap "photo finish" paneling. Well actually it is not paneling but wanes coat (sp?). It is sold in like 4X5 sheets, and I have cut some to fit, but have not installed yet, also picked up at Lowes. I was going to go with bead board paneling and stain it, but I really liked this "leather" look to the paneling, so I'm going to install it and see how it holds up. It is so cheap if it gets beat up, or I really don't like it, I won't feel bad about taking off and replacing (it was like $7 a sheet and I will use 5 sheets). But as it is pretty thin paneling, that is why I installed the insulation board between the supports to give it some extra support.
post #76 of 854
Thread Starter 
Some details going in on the bar. Still not finished as I keep having to go out of town, but getting close....



post #77 of 854
Beautiful! I really like the stain color and the granite. Nice work.
post #78 of 854
Neuner: Any further on your bar? New pictures?

Getting ready to start thinking about what type of design I'm going to go with.
post #79 of 854
No, I'm getting the bathroom wrapped up and some of the molding done. I've started looking for the pieces I need to finish the bar, so at least I'm *thinking* about starting it. I need to find the Bar Rail so I know how to construct the top to fit it. This thread highlights my hunt: Bar Rail

I've also started another project of ripping off our rotten deck and patio door and installing a concrete patio. It's really eating into my time also!

Patio & Sidewalk Project
post #80 of 854
Well, my bar is making some progress, now that the theater room is pretty much complete. Cabinets got installed yesterday. I think it looks pretty good. The center cabinets will have glass doors and apparently there was problem, so they had to reorder them.


Better shot of the base cabinets. Lazy Susan in the corner.


Dishwasher goes on the right. Cabinet for the sink in the center. Drawers on left for stuff like bottle openers, can openers, coasters, crap like that.


Couple more:
[IMG]hhttp://images49.fotki.com/v1510/photos/6/649633/3817012/100_1587-vi.jpg[/IMG]



I have the front part of the bar to do. I was thinking of a wainscot or panel system on the front (where you see unfinished drywall). I'm thinking of maybe doing the top part of the bar in your traditional wooden top with a bar rail and doing granite on top of the base cabinets. I'm going to have to either match the stain on the cabinets or do a complimentary color or paint.

Bud
post #81 of 854
Here's what I'm proposing for the front of the bar. Any comments or ideas?

Bud
post #82 of 854
Bud,

I thought about raised panels for my bar. I gave it a couple of weeks sitting at the bar and pondering how I would do it. I thought about making my own, or finding a cabinet door source and just attaching them to the front of the bar. I have a fair size overhang on my bar (about 12 inches) but I can sometimes still touch the bar with my knees. I began to think that banging my knee on a flat panel was not quite as bad as hitting a raised panel or trim. Granted it looks awesome when you see trim or panels on the front of bars. However, I went for a more functional front. I am thinking that perhaps in the future making some faux panels with very flat trim pieces. Jury is still out on that one. I still have to install bottom kick plates, but Lowes wide oak trim pieces are very expensive. I'm thinking of just getting oak 1X6's and routing one edge.

BTW your cabinets and bar are fantastic as usual!
post #83 of 854
Bud...

I have been working on plans myself, and I was going to use the same look on the front of my bar as you have in the picture.

The biggest problem I have to consider, is the lack of water and power at the arear I want to build my bar. I don't think power will be a huge issue, as I have to have my electrician in to wire the computer room (unfinished office) that will share a wall with the bar, but water is a whole other story. Might just have to use a tub and carry the dishes upstairs to wash.
post #84 of 854
Bud, I really like the recessed panel design. It will give it a great look! Will you be covering this in wood or paint & trim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

I have a fair size overhang on my bar (about 12 inches) but I can sometimes still touch the bar with my knees. I began to think that banging my knee on a flat panel was not quite as bad as hitting a raised panel or trim.

I still have to install bottom kick plates, but Lowes wide oak trim pieces are very expensive. I'm thinking of just getting oak 1X6's and routing one edge.

I was thinking about how far to overhang my top. I've looked at a couple of bars (not too many, I'm married...with children ) and every one of them was different. Some had huge overhangs, and some without any at all, so I'm guessing there's no standard. How do you like the 12" overhang on yours and do you wish it hung out further? (Setup for an easy weiner joke).

I think I would route one edge myself. Even if you have to buy the bit which can be expensive, it should save from the premium of a tall trim piece.
post #85 of 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post

Bud, I really like the recessed panel design. It will give it a great look! Will you be covering this in wood or paint & trim?



I was thinking about how far to overhang my top. I've looked at a couple of bars (not too many, I'm married...with children ) and every one of them was different. Some had huge overhangs, and some without any at all, so I'm guessing there's no standard. How do you like the 12" overhang on yours and do you wish it hung out further? (Setup for an easy weiner joke).

I think I would route one edge myself. Even if you have to buy the bit which can be expensive, it should save from the premium of a tall trim piece.


Neuner,

I guess it depends on the length of your legs. One thing I hate is a very shallow top and you have to sit staddle legged or at an angle (side saddle). My base plywood top is 9.5 inches overhang and a couple of inches more once the bar rail is installed. I still hit the darn stiles occasionally too! But after a couple of suds, it doesn't matter

My overhang was also limited to not sticking out too far by the hallway.

It's amazing that I find myself sitting at the bar most of the time while in the basement. The bar railing makes it very comfortable. The height of the bar is perfect for me and I don't have to lean forward too much. Besides the wife is watching chick flicks on the big screen and I get to watch what I want at the bar.

Mock up what you think you will have and test it out first. I made a bunch of adjustments doing this.
post #86 of 854
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Here's what I'm proposing for the front of the bar. Any comments or ideas?

Bud

Great bar....Nice job!

Where did you get the wall phone? I've been looking for a replica antique English/British wall phone for my bar and have had no luck.
post #87 of 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Great bar....Nice job!

Where did you get the wall phone? I've been looking for a replica antique English/British wall phone for my bar and have had no luck.

Thanks. I got the phone from my father in law. He's collected a few from friends over the years. It's a 1950s Western Electric. I'm suppose to get some new guts for it from him to get it to work. It was a different color, like a salmon color, actually. I repainted it and found an old phone store online that was I able to by a black and white face sticker for it to finish it up.

Bud
post #88 of 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

Bud,

I thought about raised panels for my bar. I gave it a couple of weeks sitting at the bar and pondering how I would do it. I thought about making my own, or finding a cabinet door source and just attaching them to the front of the bar. I have a fair size overhang on my bar (about 12 inches) but I can sometimes still touch the bar with my knees. I began to think that banging my knee on a flat panel was not quite as bad as hitting a raised panel or trim. Granted it looks awesome when you see trim or panels on the front of bars. However, I went for a more functional front. I am thinking that perhaps in the future making some faux panels with very flat trim pieces. Jury is still out on that one. I still have to install bottom kick plates, but Lowes wide oak trim pieces are very expensive. I'm thinking of just getting oak 1X6's and routing one edge.

BTW your cabinets and bar are fantastic as usual!

Thanks Randy. I'm not sure I'd do anything too elaborate for the panels, just get some wood and route the edges so they're relatively flat, which would allow me to use some trim just to hold it in place. I expect that the overhand will be about 12 inches as well. I used one in our kitchen for dimensions, so the edge of the counter would be use at the end of the wall. I assumed I was going the granite route at that point, but again, thinking about doing the top in wood and the base cabinets in granite. Need to prototype.

Bud
post #89 of 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaIceMan View Post

Bud...

I have been working on plans myself, and I was going to use the same look on the front of my bar as you have in the picture.

The biggest problem I have to consider, is the lack of water and power at the arear I want to build my bar. I don't think power will be a huge issue, as I have to have my electrician in to wire the computer room (unfinished office) that will share a wall with the bar, but water is a whole other story. Might just have to use a tub and carry the dishes upstairs to wash.

I actually built the knee wall you see there in the picture and then had a plumber run the plumbing through the wall. I had used Home Depot's cabinet design services to figure out the basic layout so I could get the dimensions right and build the wall. I used a local cabinet manufacturer for the cabinets themselves. The HD design stuff is free.

Here were my basic plans from them, although the cabinets changed some.

http://images12.fotki.com/v252/photo...-vi.jpg?715680
http://images15.fotki.com/v234/photo...-vi.jpg?715650

Bud
post #90 of 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post

Bud, I really like the recessed panel design. It will give it a great look! Will you be covering this in wood or paint & trim?

I'm looking to stain everything once I figure out the details. Everything in dywall white you see should be stained to give it that classic look.

Bud
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home