or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Toshiba RD-XS54
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Toshiba RD-XS54 - Page 5

post #121 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara View Post

Boy, you sure pulled that post from way back. I was referring to the discontinuation of the E-500 model (which I have), compared to the new EH-50 model. The ES10 is supposed to have the same improved 4-hr LP as the new EH-50.

RG

Got it. Thanks.
post #122 of 431
Hi guys, hope you're well. Haven't been here in a long time and this will be a brieft stay. Thanks to many of you for some nice e-mails. Two of you wrote regarding my comprehensive review of the RD-XS54 and also bugs, which is easiest addressed here in this manner for the moment. I will also have answers regarding anomalies, upgrades to the XS54 and other specific details and will post them on my personal web site.

The Toshiba XS54 is fun. It is the most capable machine, bar none, to make "polished" DVDs that impress superficially and navigationally. It does have an absurd menu system that makes things overly complicated but the features are incredible, especially the ability to prioritize recording high quality audio over picture for music concerts. There really is a difference between Dolby1 and Dolby2 and PCM - it's not superficial with just a decent HDTV (especially the bass and midrange.) It's lack of dual layer recording is unfortunate but I never use those discs, given price and likely inability of my S77 or many other players to play the dual layer format (which I think is different than double layer, but correct me if I'm mistaken.) One can also transfer recordings to a PC on 2 DVDRWs if you really want to preserve those "special" programs. It's an amazingly versatile machine for those who want to do more than just simply record their programs and make some DVDRs. That said, there are a couple of important issues I have discovered and the severity is uncertain and perhaps XS34 owners have experienced some of these:

(1) An inordinate number of blank DVD-Rs will say they are "unreadable or damages" initially. Taking out the DVDR and putting it in again, maybe wiping a pristine DVD will make this error go away. On occasion I have had to pull the plug out of the XS54 because the recorder got "stuck" when it was beginning to burn a DVDR. I am using TYs virtually every time with occasional Memorex which works no better or worse than TYs. It seems that it might be the writer and I will find out when I get a replacement (I can already hear the useful torrent of abuse coming from you know who.)

(2) More serious is after recording several items, mostly off of cable but NOT HBO or Showtime (which dubs to DVDR perfectly), I'll experience an error when trying to standard dub from HDD to DVDR/DVDRW of "DVD recording was terminated because a title or chapter with non-standard properties was detected" and no error code. Removing all chapters did not work. Per support, an unfortunate omission is any indicator whether a recording is copy protected or write once except when you try to write to DVDR. At that time you will see an error message with an error code that will tell you. So you could waste an hour editing to find out you might not be able to write the program to DVDR.

Now these that programs WILL burn to DVD-RAM. In addition, using rate conversion (which typically sucks) it WILL burn the same program to DVD-R or DVD-RW. This makes me wonder whether it is a software bug and not a copy protection issue. HOWEVER, I did encounter the same error when recording the same program twice, which is either coincidence or there is a format issue.

Regarding my previous ownership of the Pioneer DVR-633, I'll say it was a great machine although it doesn't have near the overall versatility to make great looking DVDs. For many this won't be a big deal. All they want is to see the movie/program and have chapter marks, no need to see the scenes they want to skip to and I can appreciate that. However, if the 2 areas where the 633 has real limitations which are apparent to me in using the XS54 are:

(1) No chapter mark ability while viewing a program in full screen. This is too bad since I really enjoy watching material I have recorded and getting rid of commercials/chaptering as I encounter them. Re-editing later takes a large chunk of time.

(2) Inability to properly format 16:9 material onto DVD due to no manual setting. Yes, when there is a 16:9 signal fed to it the 633 should, in theory, record it in that format and retain it when burning to a DVD. The problem occurs when you record off cable using the s-video from my experience. The boxes I have either didn't work at all or the format comes out actually in 4:3 format which is "squeezed." I don't think any standard recorder does better than 4:3 resolution anyways and with 16:9 recording you get the same number of horizontal and vertical pixels although I could be wrong. If you have a control on your TV to zoom or to do "full" screen format, it will unsqueeze the 4:3 and display it as 16:9. Looks good. However, when you try playing it on TVs that don't have the control or in many 4:3 TVs you end up with a small 4:3 picture that is long and skinny and no way to fix it. Fortunately with the XS54 you can hard set that flag to 16:9 and it will appear properly on all TVs, even though you recorded it in the "long and skinny" 4:3.

So that's the current news guys. Thanks for writing, feel free to contact me or ask questions about the stuff I post on my personal site and I hope you are all enjoying your new equipment.
post #123 of 431
Thanks for the update Slinky

post #124 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post

The Toshiba XS54 is fun. It is the most capable machine, bar none, to make "polished" DVDs that impress superficially and navigationally. It does have an absurd menu system that makes things overly complicated but the features are incredible, especially the ability to prioritize recording high quality audio over picture for music concerts. There really is a difference between Dolby1 and Dolby2 and PCM - it's not superficial with just a decent HDTV (especially the bass and midrange.) It's lack of dual layer recording is unfortunate but I never use those discs, given price and likely inability of my S77 or many other players to play the dual layer format (which I think is different than double layer, but correct me if I'm mistaken.)

I do think dual layer == double layer, it's just that now there are burnable formats rather than simply pressed double layer discs.

Could you expound upon how the menu system is "absurd"? For example, I never use the orange button (I forget, it's NAVI maybe?) on my XS32 remote.

I know that there were a few changes between the XS32 and XS34, possibly more to the XS54.. But the "quick menu" is virtually always useful, IMHO.

Basically -- the system would definitely be complex to a lot of people, but I do think in some ways it's well thought out.

There are bugs like you say too (as I have run into on my XS32.. and hosed my disk).

You don't have to pull the plug btw, you can hold down the power button for ~5 seconds.

I haven't actually tested the audio differences firsthand, but I instinctively use LPCM for music shows or talk shows with music performances I will dub.. D1 for everything else.
post #125 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshelley61 View Post

BLACK LEVEL BUG - is really not a flaw as much as it is a design limitation in some DVD recorders. Here in North America (and only in North America) our legacy analog video system is based on the NTSC standard. Particular to the North American NTSC standard (but not the Japanese NTSC standard) is our reference black level is 7.5 IRE (very dark gray), while every other analog TV system in the world uses 0 IRE (true video black) as the reference black level. ....

None of this affects digital video at all. ....

....

That's the "black level bug" in a nutshell.

Hi,
Are you certain that digital video will not have this bug? I have been debating between XS34 (no BL bug) and XS52 (with HDMI). My main usage is copying to DVD from my miniDV camcorder. If you are certain, XS52 is the winner. Thx.
post #126 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post

Hi guys, hope you're well. Haven't been here in a long time and this will be a brieft stay. Thanks to many of you for some nice e-mails. Two of you wrote regarding my comprehensive review of the RD-XS54 and also bugs, which is easiest addressed here in this manner for the moment. I will also have answers regarding anomalies, upgrades to the XS54 and other specific details and will post them on my personal web site.

The Toshiba XS54 is fun. It is the most capable machine, bar none, to make "polished" DVDs that impress superficially and navigationally. It does have an absurd menu system that makes things overly complicated but the features are incredible, especially the ability to prioritize recording high quality audio over picture for music concerts. There really is a difference between Dolby1 and Dolby2 and PCM - it's not superficial with just a decent HDTV (especially the bass and midrange.) It's lack of dual layer recording is unfortunate but I never use those discs, given price and likely inability of my S77 or many other players to play the dual layer format (which I think is different than double layer, but correct me if I'm mistaken.) One can also transfer recordings to a PC on 2 DVDRWs if you really want to preserve those "special" programs. It's an amazingly versatile machine for those who want to do more than just simply record their programs and make some DVDRs. That said, there are a couple of important issues I have discovered and the severity is uncertain and perhaps XS34 owners have experienced some of these:

(1) An inordinate number of blank DVD-Rs will say they are "unreadable or damages" initially. Taking out the DVDR and putting it in again, maybe wiping a pristine DVD will make this error go away. On occasion I have had to pull the plug out of the XS54 because the recorder got "stuck" when it was beginning to burn a DVDR. I am using TYs virtually every time with occasional Memorex which works no better or worse than TYs. It seems that it might be the writer and I will find out when I get a replacement (I can already hear the useful torrent of abuse coming from you know who.)

(2) More serious is after recording several items, mostly off of cable but NOT HBO or Showtime (which dubs to DVDR perfectly), I'll experience an error when trying to standard dub from HDD to DVDR/DVDRW of "DVD recording was terminated because a title or chapter with non-standard properties was detected" and no error code. Removing all chapters did not work. Per support, an unfortunate omission is any indicator whether a recording is copy protected or write once except when you try to write to DVDR. At that time you will see an error message with an error code that will tell you. So you could waste an hour editing to find out you might not be able to write the program to DVDR.

Now these that programs WILL burn to DVD-RAM. In addition, using rate conversion (which typically sucks) it WILL burn the same program to DVD-R or DVD-RW. This makes me wonder whether it is a software bug and not a copy protection issue. HOWEVER, I did encounter the same error when recording the same program twice, which is either coincidence or there is a format issue.

Regarding my previous ownership of the Pioneer DVR-633, I'll say it was a great machine although it doesn't have near the overall versatility to make great looking DVDs. For many this won't be a big deal. All they want is to see the movie/program and have chapter marks, no need to see the scenes they want to skip to and I can appreciate that. However, if the 2 areas where the 633 has real limitations which are apparent to me in using the XS54 are:

(1) No chapter mark ability while viewing a program in full screen. This is too bad since I really enjoy watching material I have recorded and getting rid of commercials/chaptering as I encounter them. Re-editing later takes a large chunk of time.

(2) Inability to properly format 16:9 material onto DVD due to no manual setting. Yes, when there is a 16:9 signal fed to it the 633 should, in theory, record it in that format and retain it when burning to a DVD. The problem occurs when you record off cable using the s-video from my experience. The boxes I have either didn't work at all or the format comes out actually in 4:3 format which is "squeezed." I don't think any standard recorder does better than 4:3 resolution anyways and with 16:9 recording you get the same number of horizontal and vertical pixels although I could be wrong. If you have a control on your TV to zoom or to do "full" screen format, it will unsqueeze the 4:3 and display it as 16:9. Looks good. However, when you try playing it on TVs that don't have the control or in many 4:3 TVs you end up with a small 4:3 picture that is long and skinny and no way to fix it. Fortunately with the XS54 you can hard set that flag to 16:9 and it will appear properly on all TVs, even though you recorded it in the "long and skinny" 4:3.

So that's the current news guys. Thanks for writing, feel free to contact me or ask questions about the stuff I post on my personal site and I hope you are all enjoying your new equipment.

looks like we're going to view some repeats again
post #127 of 431
I have only had my RD-XS54 for a bit over two weeks and while there are still many areas I have yet to play with, I do want to share my initial impressions. I figured living in a smaller market, I would probably not get the TV guide functionality via my analog cable on Cox. A day went by with the unit off...then two...eventually 5, on and off. At that point, I decided I would never get the really cool-looking (based on reading) TV Guide (TV-GOS) functionality. Suddenly, just yesterday, it pops up saying that it found several feeds and asked me to select one...sure enough, there was my TV Guide!! After TWO weeks!!! It makes programming incredibly convenient although its interface is extremely slow. The only other negative of the unit as previously described is the incredibly cumbersome/illogical menu structure. Those issues aside, this unit blows away the JVC DR-MX1S DVR/DVD/VCR I had tried prior to it. All other operations are faster and easier, the drive size is 3x as large, dubs are MUCH faster. In fact, I usually write to 1x - 2x Maxell DVD-RW discs...it burns at 6x however! This allows us to watch it on an rw-compatible player in another room when desired. It allows resume on all recorded shows (as opposed to just one) and lets you record while watching something that was recorded or while watching a dvd (if recording to hdd). It would be nice to have two tuners and be able to record two streams, but I can live without that. All in all, I am very impressed with the unit thus far...although I have an HD-ready TV, I have yet to see an HD signal on it so I cannot comment on its 480i (or upsampled to 480p, 720p, 1080i) output...however, I do watch DVDs via HDMI -> DVI upsampled to 720p on my DLP set and am very happy with the quality. Due to pixelation, I tend to watch the analog TV in composite or s-video though...garbage in, garbage out.

The flexible viewing and easy/fast dubbing are excellent features...now, with the TVGOS functionality working, program recording takes seconds to set instead of a minute or two. I have yet to try the ethernet functionality or a number of other functions yet, but of the two DVRs I have used now, this one is easily the clear winner. I'm very happy with the unit.
post #128 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgoldberg View Post

Suddenly, just yesterday, it pops up saying that it found several feeds and asked me to select one...sure enough, there was my TV Guide!! After TWO weeks!!!

Did you contact Toshiba initially when the tv guide didn't load. I have the same problem with my rd xs54 that I bought 3 days ago. The tvguide is still empty after 48 hours.

I contacted Toshiba they went through diagnoses with me and told me that tv guide will work on this and they will let me know in about a week.

I hope that I would have the same luck as you!
post #129 of 431
I appreciate all the great info and effort here. Great work...

Does anyone know if this unit will interface well with the Toshiba MX195 cinema line of DLP's? I was looking into the Symbio 160HD4 which interfaces via DTV-Link (I.E 1394 ports of both units) but now I am not sure if I have pasted myself in a corner ordering a TV with a cablecard. The Symbio is limited to recording whatever is being displayed on the TV so the RD-XS54 offers much more functionality with its tuner, depending if I can use its 1394 port with the 56MX195 for the High-Def descrambled video. If not, lack of composite inputs could be a problem.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
post #130 of 431
Most DVD recorders have two major limitations that you may not be happy with:

1. All recordings are 480i standard definition TV. Any input to the DVD recorder must be 480i.

2. The IEEE-1394/FireWire/iLink interface on the DVD recorder only supports DV input, such as from a mini-DV digital camcorder. The IEEE-1394 output from your HDTV is likely MPEG-2 and NOT compatible with the digital input of the DVD recorder.

While I don't know the specifics of your HDTV or DVD recorder, the above statements hold true for every example of HDTV and DVD recorder that I have ever seen or heard of.

I don't believe the FireWire output of your TV can be set for 480i always since the digital bit stream received from the broadcast station is passed at its original (source) resolution, which could be 1080i, 720p or 480i depending on the digital broadcast station sub channel being watched.

The tuner in the DVD recorder is most likely NTSC analog and will not receive any digital channels from cable or off the air. Signal-wise, the DVD recorder is much like an S-VHS VCR with digital recording and a program guide in addtion to VCR+ and time-based recording.

Think of FireWire as a shipping container, where the payload/content can vary. Payload compatibility is necessary for successful content transmission between FireWire-equipped devices. Mini-DV is not directly compatible with MPEG-2.
post #131 of 431
Can this unit be incorporated into a wireless network or does it have to be wired?
post #132 of 431
First impressions after 1 day. Nice machine..BUT.......Something no one has mentioned in this VERY long thread. I cannot copy HBO, Showtime shows from HDD to DVD-r. I knew other machines had this protection scheme, so I ordered this model as I saw no mention of it. I know I can copy to DVD-Ram, but that's not the point. Anyone else expecting to copy from HDD/SAT/CABLE to DVD-r, it wont happen.

IS THERE A SECRET KEY BUTTON PRESS TO SECRET MENUE TO DISABLE THIS ON THE TOSHIBA XS54 ? I know other (CHEAPER) machines have this option, but imagine this is not available. Any help much appreciated.

TIA

Jim
post #133 of 431
Why is this an issue if you can copy to DVD-RAM? You can archive for personal use. I would think that all DVD recorders don't allow one to copy the pay channel movies to distributable discs?
post #134 of 431
Other than the copy protection issue with HBO, Showtime, etc. (which is expected) this thread has been quiet for a while. Has the problem with the recording stopping early when extending the time by 30, 60, 90min been solved? Have any other issues with this unit shown up? The XS54 is on the top of my list, just waiting for the price to come down (with Christmas and recent AV acquisitions the money well is just about dry).

Bryant
post #135 of 431
Hi All,
Unfortunately my XS54 stopped recording altogether after only a few times (just testing) within a week. I'm in the process of returning and getting another but I also had some problems which I'm not sure were related to having a dud unit or not.
1 - Originally I was using a Cablevision STB (Scientific Atlanta 4200HD) coax output to input to the recorder due to no component inputs. Passing this signal through to the High Def Toshiba 56MX195 for a HD channel was annoyingly grainy and low quality. I have to assume recording from this source would have the same poor quality. I know the coax output of the STB is only a Standard signal but will using the s-video input from the STB make that much of a difference? The component output of the STB to the TV was very crisp. I'd like to be able to record this quality especially if using the timeslip for HD football games etc. Standard TV displayed on the Tv was OK. Any comments?
2 - TVGOS never worked on this unit however it did work on the Toshiba TV using component inputs. Possible bad unit problem here however has anyone got this to work using direct coax? Also when I get to retry this should I set up using V-LR inputs or S-Video for the best quality.
By the way, HDMI output using the DVD player was very crisp and the Home Theater experience using a Denon AVR786 was excellent.
Thanks in advance, Andrew
post #136 of 431
I've had my XS54 for about 2.5 months. It has worked as expected in every aspect. Any "problems" I've had were solved by consulting the owners manual, quick start, or quick reference cards. I've read them all from cover to cover, but I can't seem to remember everything!

Keep in mind that this is not an HD recorder, it just has the HDMI output from the DVD player. Because of this, I don't see any reason to think that it would timeslip an HD program in HD quality. I don't have any HD source to run to the unit, so I can't comment on the actual results of attempting to do so, but this is not advertised or sold as an HD unit.

TVGOS started displaying info less than 24 hours after the initial setup. It did take a couple of days for the entire schedule to fill in. Since then, it has always been complete. I have analog cable with no cable box. My unit is attached directly to the coax as shown below.

...............................RD-XS54
................................/
coax from wall-->splitter
................................\\
...............................VCR-->TV

While a splitter isn't required with this unit, it was with the PVR I was using previously, so I left it in there.
post #137 of 431
I think I'm one of the first ones to get an XS54. I had an XS34 previously, liked it and upgraded to the XS54. Mine's been running fine since September.

I've also got mine hooked up like MaddogMoney, where I don't use a cable box.

Andrewavs, connecting from your STB to the XS54, do you have the IR transmitter set up where the XS54 can change channels on the STB? It needs this so the XS54 can tune to the channel that receives the TVG info when the XS54 is turned off.
post #138 of 431
Thanks for the replys guys ...
Yes the IR transmitter works fine. However on my cable system (Cablevision) when it gets to the On Demand channels, it is expecting a reply back to a "you have no rentals" question that stops the process until I manually answer it.
There is also a difference here to the Toshiba TV where TVGOS was working in that the TV had a splitter where there is a direct non STB connection to the TV in addition to the STB. I believe this is why it is working. I.E It doesn't work coming through the STB and the direct cable connection would not scan above to the On Demand channels anyway. Also I have no IR transmitter hooked up from the TV to the STB; only from the XS-54 and yet the TV picked up the TVGOS listings.
I will try connecting the non STB cable signal directly into the XS-54 in addition to the STB to see if this resolves the problem when I get my unit returned.
I am not so concerned about recording in High Def as opposed to just getting a picture quality that is good. I will also try the s-video and V-LR inputs and test the quality. Perhaps the original coax connection I was using was damaged. I do wonder though why they allow you a 9mb/sec recording setting which seems higher then the average DVD (or perhaps this equals DVD?) if the machine doesn't support a higher quality recording? In any case DVD quality is excellent on this TV so shouldn't I at least be able to match the DVD recording quality when recording HD broadcasts which are better quality (1080i)?
post #139 of 431
Hello all, Been a lurker for some time just received my XS54 this past wed. I was kinda worried with all the TVGOS issues that have been reported. But I did solve all the issues as of today.
My First set up was a "normal" setup using the supplied coxial cable to run from my STB to the XS54. I didnt have the GLINK set up correctly going through the codes, BUT when I did attach it to the STB it changed the channel so I accepted the settings. I left it over night. Next day to my dismay no TVGOS. SOOOO I ghanged the setup. NOW I have a splitter that runs one cable to the STB and one cable direct to the TV. I ALSO have some spare cables so I used the "old" cables that I had and screwed them in. Left it off all day and night. THis AM got home and nothing .
SO I figured that maybe it was the code I was using and I would ahve to set it up again. (my TV at this point had the TVGOS downloaded) I re did the set up this time I selected the 1st code that worked which was different then the code I orriginally set it up for. Competed the Set up, turned it off for about 10 min. Decided to just see and BAM to my suprise TVGOS through the STB .
I have Cox in New England using thier nonHD STB (Motorola), and I am able to access all the channels so far through the STB on the XS54.
Dont know if this will help anyone but I thought I might try to share my good experience.
post #140 of 431
Congrats on getting the TVG to show up. I don't think getting TVG to work on Toshiba players is any harder/easier than another manufacturer from reading on this forum. Hopefully people aren't worried about this recorder for that reason.
post #141 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddogMoney View Post

Keep in mind that this is not an HD recorder, it just has the HDMI output from the DVD player. Because of this, I don't see any reason to think that it would timeslip an HD program in HD quality. I don't have any HD source to run to the unit, so I can't comment on the actual results of attempting to do so, but this is not advertised or sold as an HD unit.


No current standalone DVD recorders can record a hgh def signal in anything but downconverted resolution, ie 480i. Period. There are no Hi def recorders yet. There aren't even any hi def players yet.
post #142 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wong View Post

Congrats on getting the TVG to show up. I don't think getting TVG to work on Toshiba players is any harder/easier than another manufacturer from reading on this forum. Hopefully people aren't worried about this recorder for that reason.

Alan, I hope so as well as so far so good, there is only ONE issue that I ahve so far, and that is while the unit is off throughout the day it will cycle through the channels on the STB. I dont know if it is "looking" for new channels. channels will be changing and as soon as it tunes the channel it will go to the next ie..it will go to channel 9 if 9 tunes it goes to 10 ect....Not sure what it is exactly doing but it makes watching TV with it off sometimes difficult. Just wondering if anyone had seen this problem before on any recorder and if there is a FIX for it. THis happens on and off. THanks for any help anyone can give.
post #143 of 431
It is looking for the TVGOS EPG host channel.
post #144 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara View Post

It is looking for the TVGOS EPG host channel.

....

THanks for the reply.....SO I guess the only way to stop the cycle is to have it on all the time.....Not sure what my host channel is but it has allready downloaded the info....Does this mean that it keeps "loosing" the TVG host channel???O thought once the info was downloaded it had allready found the host channel...Ah well at least it works and has recorded succesfully )
post #145 of 431
My understanding is that it will look for the host channel each time it begins to download the EPG data. And you are correct, the only way to prevent this is to have the recorder on while you are watching TV using the cable box. While it is on, the recorder will not try to download the EPG data.
post #146 of 431
RG,
just a question was going through the "service" menus and when I saw the listing for Host Chan. it was blank....THis could be the problem I think that it continues to "loose" the host channel. It was able to find info BUT it only downloaded a few days in front then JUMPS to later in the week the middle of the week is missing. I am thinking I may have to reset it just to see if that works but I think I am going to wait untill tomorrow to do it. THank you for the info.
post #147 of 431
If the listing for the host channel is blank, that means that the last time it tried to download the EPG data, it could not find a host channel.

Having a "hole" in the middle of the 8-day EPG is normal at the initial download since the EPG download "today", "tomorrow" and 8 days from now. If you have "holes" in the middle of the schedule after the EPG has been downloading for a while, that means that on one or more days the TVGOS could not find a suitable host channel and the EPG could not be downloaded.
post #148 of 431
thank you for all the Help RG really appreciate it. I am guessing then that this is the same reason that the "info" for the shows is also not showin we have like 3 PBS channels so I left it on for a couple hours on one of them will try a different one tonight hopefully I will be able to find the "sweet spot" and get this guide working perfectly, cant complain though as it looks like I am faring better then some others.
post #149 of 431
When you're not watching TV, leave the STB on and turn the XS54 off. Don't worry about the XS54 changing channels. It will "seek" channels until it knows what channel to get the TV listings from. After it's found the channel, it won't scroll through all the channels anymore. It'll just tune to the specific channel.
post #150 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wong View Post

When you're not watching TV, leave the STB on and turn the XS54 off. Don't worry about the XS54 changing channels. It will "seek" channels until it knows what channel to get the TV listings from. After it's found the channel, it won't scroll through all the channels anymore. It'll just tune to the specific channel.

THanks for the Reply, THats what I was doing, BUT recently I tried something out whenever I dont leave it on channel 2 when the XS54 is off it will "search"... if I leave it on 2 or I change it to 2 while it is searching the searching stops. Seems like it is not "holding" the Host channel ID for some reason. Hey no complaints at least I know how to fix it now if it would just "fill in" the guide I would be happy I have Mon Tues Wed (skips THurs) and the various hits from Friday On... Weid But it doesnt really effect me too much as I am still able to set up recordings the day off. Hopefully after sometime it will fill in and everything will be ok (using patience) Thanks for all the help......BTW the Info problem was MY fault I had turned that feature off for some reason.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Toshiba RD-XS54