or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Pioneer 4360/5060/Elite Experiences, Set-up, Questions & Pictures Thread!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Pioneer 4360/5060/Elite Experiences, Set-up, Questions & Pictures Thread!!! - Page 170

post #5071 of 5599
Shortly after purchasing my Pioneer 5060, I bought a stand for the 1130 on Ebay (which was a major improvement in appearance and function). I am now wondering about "upgrading" my PDP S38 speakers for the PDP S50's. The Pioneer site seems to say they work with all 50" plasmas.

Can anyone confirm that they will work with my 5060 and would they have improved the sound quality over the S38's I have now?
BTW: I am hooked up to my surround system but frequently just use the TV's speakers, especially when the kids are using the TV.
post #5072 of 5599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

Shortly after purchasing my Pioneer 5060, I bought a stand for the 1130 on Ebay (which was a major improvement in appearance and function). I am now wondering about "upgrading" my PDP S38 speakers for the PDP S50's. The Pioneer site seems to say they work with all 50" plasmas.

Can anyone confirm that they will work with my 5060 and would they have improved the sound quality over the S38's I have now?
BTW: I am hooked up to my surround system but frequently just use the TV's speakers, especially when the kids are using the TV.

i had no idea there was a difference. what is it?
post #5073 of 5599
I have an 1130HD connected to a Pioneer VSX80-TXV with 3-ring mini-cable for SR+ functionality. I have encountered one quirk. Normally, when I press THX, Advanced Surround, Volume Up, etc., the first press of the button displays the current setting of that feature and additional presses of the button will effect changes. If you press a button once, the display comes up showing the current setting. If you don't press the button again, in about 5 seconds the display will go away. This works for all functions that are supported by SR+ except the Std Surround button. If the source is Dolby Digital, when you press Std Surround, the OSD shows Dolby Digital but the display will not automatically go away. I have to do something like press volume up or down, to get the DD display to go away. Similarly, if the source is not DD, then pressing Std Surround will actually begin to cycle through the various digital surround formats (DPLII movies, DPLII music, etc.) instead of first displaying the current setting.

Has anyone else encounted this same bug?
post #5074 of 5599
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHolleman View Post

i had no idea there was a difference. what is it?

That's really the second part of my question. It is next to impossible to find detailed information about either set of speakers. I am assuming there is a difference because of the difference in the model numbers and that the peripherals of the Elite series are generally improved.
post #5075 of 5599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

That's really the second part of my question. It is next to impossible to find detailed information about either set of speakers. I am assuming there is a difference because of the difference in the model numbers and that the peripherals of the Elite series are generally improved.

i remembered TVA has pio speakers but they only list them for the commercial models. where have you found the Elite speakers? TVA's are quite pricey. if i remember correctly the 43/5060 speakers are 10 watts and the ones listed for the commercial models are 12w. maybe that's the difference if the elites and the commercials use similar speakers.
post #5076 of 5599
I have a question that's probably been asked numerous times. But since it involves the word 'cable,' searching for it is dang near impossible.

I have the 4360 and basic CableTV service. However, I do get some HD content (a few locals). I also get a bunch of rogue digital channels, music and pay-per-views, which might be handy to keep around.

I am caught up in this Mediacom fiasco and got an antenna so I can get the channels I'm missing out on. The 4360 has 2 inputs, so I thought I'd be ok. I have my CableTV in the AntA and tried to plug in my antenna to AntB. As everyone reading this already knows, AntB doesn't get digital signals, and therefore, I can't get my HDTV.

I have a switch so I could put both signals into AntA, but is there an easier/better way to do this. I assume a regular ol' coax splitter wouldn't work, would it?

Any response is greatly appreciated.
--Nick
post #5077 of 5599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

Shortly after purchasing my Pioneer 5060, I bought a stand for the 1130 on Ebay (which was a major improvement in appearance and function). I am now wondering about "upgrading" my PDP S38 speakers for the PDP S50's. The Pioneer site seems to say they work with all 50" plasmas.

Can anyone confirm that they will work with my 5060 and would they have improved the sound quality over the S38's I have now?
BTW: I am hooked up to my surround system but frequently just use the TV's speakers, especially when the kids are using the TV.

I also upgraded to an Elite stand shortly after getting my 4360, but took a different approach to upgrading speakers. Almost any quality bookshelf speaker will sound a lot better than either the 5060 or Elite speakers. After much research on the speaker forum, I wound up with a pair of Ascend speakers. They are small, unobtrusive, and even though they recommend much more power, they sound surprisingly good with the 12 watt internal amps in my 4360. While I've not listened to any Elite speakers, their physical dimensions alone would make it unlikely that they would be a significant upgrade.
post #5078 of 5599
Been watching my Pro-1130HD without any issues since buying it in September 2006. Have a Zenith Silver Sensor connected to Ant Input A and have been receiving all of my local OTA channels digitally (as well as in analog form). A couple of days ago the digital channels stopped tuning in a picture (no show banner displayed either). So, yesterday I ran the tuner setup again for tuner A and when it finished there were only analog channels showing up - NO DIGITAL CHANNELS at all were listed and cannot be tuned manually.

I have no problems tuning digital channels with the other 3 ATSC tuners in my house and I've checked the coax connection to tuner A (I wouldn't be receiving the analog channels if there was a problem with the connection).

I never thought this would happen, but do you guys think the ATSC DTV tuner inside my Pio's media receier has left the farm? It's under warranty, so I can always go that route, but would like to at least find out if others have had this problem occur, because I don't really want to disconnect the MR for a week while the service center can diagnose and repair it.

Thanks in Advance.

UPDATE - the local service center advised me to try unpluggin the MR and also to switch the tuner setup to Cable (run it) and then back to AIR (and run it again). Did both and now receiving digital channels just fine. Can't say for sure if it was the unplugging or the forced switch on the tuner set-up since I didn't try a tuner setup immediately after repowering. Thus, one of the two changes helped.
post #5079 of 5599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphish View Post

UPDATE - the local service center advised me to try unpluggin the MR and also to switch the tuner setup to Cable (run it) and then back to AIR (and run it again). Did both and now receiving digital channels just fine. Can't say for sure if it was the unplugging or the forced switch on the tuner set-up since I didn't try a tuner setup immediately after repowering. Thus, one of the two changes helped.

I had the same problem you had on my 1140. Pio Support (800-421-1404) advised me to do a full factory reset. Part of that process is to unplug the display for 30 seconds. Tuner set up for AIR worked fine after that. In my case, the progress bar on the setup screen never moved past 75% or so. That green bar has to go all the way to end and then the tuner setup console has to still be present so you know it was a successful setup.

Bottom line is that I believe you only need to unplug it for 30 seconds.
post #5080 of 5599
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichael View Post

I had the same problem you had on my 1140. Pio Support (800-421-1404) advised me to do a full factory reset. Part of that process is to unplug the display for 30 seconds. Tuner set up for AIR worked fine after that. In my case, the progress bar on the setup screen never moved past 75% or so. That green bar has to go all the way to end and then the tuner setup console has to still be present so you know it was a successful setup.

Bottom line is that I believe you only need to unplug it for 30 seconds.


For future reference, what's the entire procedure for a FFR?
post #5081 of 5599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphish View Post

For future reference, what's the entire procedure for a FFR?

I don't have the steps with me. However, it may be different for 6th and 7th gens, so you would be well advised to just give Pio a call. Next time I have a problem like this, it will not hurt to try a 30 second unplug to see if that solves the problem. This is probably a good first step and I don't believe the first course of action should have been a FFR (you lose your settings), and if you had an ISF calibration, well... Lets not get into that potential nightmare.
post #5082 of 5599
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliWu View Post

I also upgraded to an Elite stand shortly after getting my 4360, but took a different approach to upgrading speakers. Almost any quality bookshelf speaker will sound a lot better than either the 5060 or Elite speakers. After much research on the speaker forum, I wound up with a pair of Ascend speakers. They are small, unobtrusive, and even though they recommend much more power, they sound surprisingly good with the 12 watt internal amps in my 4360. While I've not listened to any Elite speakers, their physical dimensions alone would make it unlikely that they would be a significant upgrade.

whooaa....do the ascends mount like the factory speakers? what model? got any pics? that's pretty interesting.
post #5083 of 5599
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHolleman View Post

whooaa....do the ascends mount like the factory speakers? what model? got any pics? that's pretty interesting.

The model I got is the 170 SE, which you can see on this link:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...70/cbm170.html

As you will see, they do not mount like the factory speakers which was a plus for me. I have them in the cabinet under the display and prefer the clean narrow frame look that removing the factory speakers gives. While the visual apperarance part is a matter of taste and setup, I did find the sound to be a major improvement. My big concern going in was how they would sound with the 12 watt internal amps of the TV and I am very pleased with the result.
post #5084 of 5599
I think i have a problem.

I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD PVR set to output 480i, 720p and 1080i. My PDP-5060 displays a white noise image for about 1-2 seconds when my plasma changes resolution from 1080i -> 720p or vice versa.

I verified this on my PS3, which does it randomly as well. Not as frequent however.

Is this happening to anyone elses' PDP-5060 or PDP-4360 ( I believe we have the same media boxes)?

Thanks,
Steve
post #5085 of 5599
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post

I think i have a problem.

I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD PVR set to output 480i, 720p and 1080i. My PDP-5060 displays a white noise image for about 1-2 seconds when my plasma changes resolution from 1080i -> 720p or vice versa.

I verified this on my PS3, which does it randomly as well. Not as frequent however.

Is this happening to anyone elses' PDP-5060 or PDP-4360 ( I believe we have the same media boxes)?

Thanks,
Steve

is this a new occurance? i do know that you lose the picture for a moment when switching resolutions (i have a 4360) but i never see white noise. since you verified it with the PS3 you can with some degree or certainty rule out the PVR. are you using the same cables with the two devices? i'm just throwing out ideas.
post #5086 of 5599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphish View Post

See post #232 waaaay back in this thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0p#post6238685), which claims that the 6G Pios could receive 1080p24. I asked about this a few months ago and NemoZorro replied that he thought the 6G panels could not receive 1080p24. Sounds like your tests prove that it can.

This is great news if its true, as I would love to send a direct 24p signal to mine, using the 72hz mode and have it do nothing but downscale the signal from 1080 to 768, without introducing any deinterlacing artifacts.

This would be great news; has anyone been able to try and verify this? Sometimes a unadvertised specs get into product, and this would be fantastic for us 6g owners.

EDIT - sorry, reading backwards to catchup on this thread - been offline for a while. Sounds like it has already been verified. I hope to be getting a Pio Blu-ray player soon, and will post results with my 1130. This is really exciting, and makes me feel much better about the 6gs. Even though it can't do 1080p, the 24 support should eliminate judder as Jediphish pointed out. I can live with some down rezzing to get that stability; I've seen it in action on the 1080p panel and it was nothing short of incredible.
post #5087 of 5599
All,

I've finally decided to hang my TV. Could anyone confirm if Item # 195509 at costco.com will fit the 5060? It's rated to 200 lbs and has tilt capability as well as can move up and down 12".

Thanks and let me know what you get if otherwise.
post #5088 of 5599
I have a 4360 which is wall mounted. I used a very very similar wall mount for mine. If you look at the back of your TV, you can see that Pioneer has done a wonderful job of engineering their TVs. You could pretty much bolt it up to any bracket. Well, I'm sure some bracket don't work, but your Costco one looks like it'd fit

I can't say for the 5060, but I imagine it is very similar to the 4360. Just be sure to have a friend help you lift it, because these monster TVs get heavy where they're above your head . . .
post #5089 of 5599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardji View Post

All,

I've finally decided to hang my TV. Could anyone confirm if Item # 195509 at costco.com will fit the 5060? It's rated to 200 lbs and has tilt capability as well as can move up and down 12".

Thanks and let me know what you get if otherwise.

the spacing on the mounting holes have a VESA rating. smaller tv's have a different number than larger ones and tv's in the same class/size range typically use the same VESA. i can't for the life of me remember what VESA pio uses, but it's in the manual. at any rate i bought my mount from these guys and everything went great with the transaction:

http://www.mountsdirect.com/product_...roducts_id=128
post #5090 of 5599
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHolleman View Post

is this a new occurance? i do know that you lose the picture for a moment when switching resolutions (i have a 4360) but i never see white noise. since you verified it with the PS3 you can with some degree or certainty rule out the PVR. are you using the same cables with the two devices? i'm just throwing out ideas.

I switched inputs from my PVR and PS3 and it's coming from my PVR. Time to go get that repaired.

If it was my plasma i'd be so pissed. My warranty just ran out last month!

I can't believe these expensive plasma's only come with a one year warranty!

Thanks,
Steve
post #5091 of 5599
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post

I can't believe these expensive plasma's only come with a one year warranty!

Just for clarification, since this thread covers Elite models, too, the Elites have a two-year warranty.
post #5092 of 5599
I own a 4360 today and find it excellent quality. I have a chance to get at 5070. Two questions:

1] The 5070 does not have the media center. Has anyone found a problem with all of the electronics in the plasma cabinet itself?
2] I an thinking of buying this from a mail order house like Abes of Maine. Any comments on that versus local store purchase?
post #5093 of 5599
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb8888 View Post

I own a 4360 today and find it excellent quality. I have a chance to get at 5070. Two questions:

1] The 5070 does not have the media center. Has anyone found a problem with all of the electronics in the plasma cabinet itself?
2] I an thinking of buying this from a mail order house like Abes of Maine. Any comments on that versus local store purchase?

no problems with the deletion of the MR with the 70 series plasmas. setup my parents 70 series saturday and it's a hell of a tv. pioneer scrapped the MR to reduce costs and the fact that the new gen A/V receivers do HDMI switching. kind of redundant.

i've gotten two plasmas shipped to me. flawless transactions on both. i must say, you should research who you order from.
post #5094 of 5599
i've looked but had no luck finding anything on this: does the 1130 HD have a built in scaler or converter to upscale DVD content?

Now even as i write this i cannot even be sure i am asking the right question, but basically i am wondering whether i should upgrade to a new DVD player (i currently have a 2-yr old sony progressive DVD player). Thinking about the Oppos and the helios. anyway it occurred to me that i dont even know if i could make use of teh upscale features.

any thoughts, pointers to resources, advice? aside from the display (which i love) i have a very simple setup -- comcast HD PVR (hdmi) and sony DVD (component) and Wii (component) all hooked directly to pio media box.

is there even an ability to have two HDMI sources hooked in at the same time? i think i had to run my wii to the front input (#4) in order to use the component cables.

thanks and sorry if this has been asked and answered.
post #5095 of 5599
Hi Guys....

I've been trying to find the best settings for the Pioneer 5060 to work with my Sony DVD Player. I believe D-NICE provided settings somewhere on this thread, and I've tried to find it, but haven't been successful with so many pages on this thread.

Best settings for Pio 5060 ?

Best settings for Pio NS75H ?

Could someone please provide a link to this posting please. I have already completed the burn in procedure for 200 hrs, I'm just trying to find out what are the best settings now that I have completed this part.

Also what provides the best quality for output from the NS75H ?? 480p 720p 1080i ???

Currently I'm using Manufacture default settings on the DVD... but I think there is room for improvement.

Thank you in advance...

MIKE
post #5096 of 5599
Is anyone out there using a D-VHS recorder with one of these Pio or Elite plasmas? I'd love to hear some real user experience with either of the JVC or Mitz decks, combined with the TVGOS.

I hate having a connection go unused. The Mitz decks are pretty cheap now. Given OTA connected to the panel directly offers the best picture, D-VHS would seem to offer the best HD recordings. Thanks in advance.
post #5097 of 5599
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanishcop View Post

Hi Guys....

I've been trying to find the best settings for the Pioneer 5060 to work with my Sony DVD Player. I believe D-NICE provided settings somewhere on this thread, and I've tried to find it, but haven't been successful with so many pages on this thread.

Best settings for Pio 5060 ?

Best settings for Pio NS75H ?

Could someone please provide a link to this posting please. I have already completed the burn in procedure for 200 hrs, I'm just trying to find out what are the best settings now that I have completed this part.

Also what provides the best quality for output from the NS75H ?? 480p 720p 1080i ???

Currently I'm using Manufacture default settings on the DVD... but I think there is room for improvement.

Thank you in advance...

MIKE

One school of thought says to just bump up the contrast / brightness to your taste after the break in period, that is if you are happy with your colors. I don't have the time to search for the link, but I know D-Nice posted quite a bit early in this thread.
post #5098 of 5599
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfine View Post

i've looked but had no luck finding anything on this: does the 1130 HD have a built in scaler or converter to upscale DVD content?

Now even as i write this i cannot even be sure i am asking the right question, but basically i am wondering whether i should upgrade to a new DVD player (i currently have a 2-yr old sony progressive DVD player). Thinking about the Oppos and the helios. anyway it occurred to me that i dont even know if i could make use of teh upscale features.

any thoughts, pointers to resources, advice? aside from the display (which i love) i have a very simple setup -- comcast HD PVR (hdmi) and sony DVD (component) and Wii (component) all hooked directly to pio media box.

is there even an ability to have two HDMI sources hooked in at the same time? i think i had to run my wii to the front input (#4) in order to use the component cables.

thanks and sorry if this has been asked and answered.

Not sure I can address all of this, but the scaler in the panel is excellent. Many people think that sending native resolution of a SD-DVD (480i) to the Pio is the way to go as the scaling in the panel is better than most DVD players. I know one of the Oppos can output 480i - not sure which one, but you should find info here in this thread about it.
post #5099 of 5599
Is anyone else getting this screen displayed for 1-2sec when changing resolutions on channels from their Scientific Atlanta 8300HD?

I just want to know if anyone is getting this.

post #5100 of 5599
i wasn't getting that screen, but was getting some quick flashes. I set my 8300 to fixed output and that stopped it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Pioneer 4360/5060/Elite Experiences, Set-up, Questions & Pictures Thread!!!