or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › The official Carada screen thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official Carada screen thread. - Page 2

post #31 of 1421
119 Brilliant White Carada mated with an Optoma H79 + IMX lens here. Great match for a beautiful image free of screen artifacts. The screen replaced my old Stewart 1.3 Studiotek / CRT combination. I don't miss the old system one bit. Carada makes a great screen at a bargain price in my humble opinion.
post #32 of 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Kuo View Post

119 Brilliant White Carada mated with an Optoma H79 + IMX lens here. Great match for a beautiful image free of screen artifacts. The screen replaced my old Stewart 1.3 Studiotek / CRT combination. I don't miss the old system one bit. Carada makes a great screen at a bargain price in my humble opinion.

Guy --

What is your room like in terms of light control, wall color, etc.? Any pics?
post #33 of 1421
Black for all surfaces (floor, walls, ceiling). Shine a flashlight on the back wall and the screen barely lights up. Very good light control as well. Turn off the lights and you can't see your hand. Essentially, the room has been removed as a contributor of backscatter. You just see the picture and the room practically disappears during viewing. You see what the projector is actually capable of delivering, not what the room adds. Result on the Carada is quite stunning. The last uniniated visitor who walked into the room yelled excitedly, "You're kidding! No way." when he saw it for the first time.

I love the lack of artifacts from the Carada screen surfaces. No speckles, wrinkles, streaks, or visible hot spotting.

Photos of the room are almost a lost cause. Here is one with camera flash on. Not much shows up.
LL
post #34 of 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Kuo View Post

Black for all surfaces (floor, walls, ceiling). Shine a flashlight on the back wall and the screen barely lights up. Very good light control as well. Turn off the lights and you can't see your hand. Essentially, the room has been removed as a contributor of backscatter. You just see the picture and the room practically disappears during viewing. You see what the projector is actually capable of delivering, not what the room adds. Result on the Carada is quite stunning. The last uniniated visitor who walked into the room yelled excitedly, "You're kidding! No way." when he saw it for the first time.

I love the lack of artifacts from the Carada screen surfaces. No speckles, wrinkles, streaks, or visible hot spotting.

Photos of the room are almost a lost cause. Here is one with camera flash on. Not much shows up.

Thanks, Guy. Nice looking room, well as far as I can tell from what shows up in the pic.
post #35 of 1421
Ordered a 104" BW Criterion Screen today. David gave excellent advices and admirable personal service. It will be shipped to Denmark and I'm sure it will be well worth, running those "extra miles".

So now I just need to figure out whether to get a Denon 2910 or spend the extra for the 3910.
post #36 of 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swearengen View Post

Ordered a 104" BW Criterion Screen today. David gave excellent advices and admirable personal service. It will be shipped to Denmark and I'm sure it will be well worth, running those "extra miles".

So now I just need to figure out whether to get a Denon 2910 or spend the extra for the 3910.

I really like my 2910 and I don't notice any macroblocking problems on my projector so far. I have watched several movies and not a problem. VERY good de-interlacing and scaling for my 3 chipper DLP.
post #37 of 1421
I recently found this company because i want install a projection system. It looks like very nice screens. I just have a question or two. When I get the screen and PJ how do i know where to hang it from the ceiling to fill the whole screen? Meaning is thee a certain feet back from the screen it has to be? Also is sitting to close a problem like when talking about LCD or Plasma displays? Meaning if I have a 92inch or 100inch how far away do I need to sit? I can go back about 12 to 14 feet. Thanks J.H.
post #38 of 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksr View Post

I have the gray fabric paired with a Studio Experience Matinee 2HD (Sanyo PLV-Z2) in a non-dedicated light-colored room . I originally ordered the Brilliant White but exchanged it for the gray. I couldn't live with the black level I was able to obtain with the white fabric although it looked great otherwise. I'm pretty happy with the gray! It certainly has less "pop" than the white but is better balanced overall.


Hey Frank, how would you compare the picture of the gray to a bare wall, and the bw to the bare wall?

My living roon is my viewing room so I have a simliar room to yours so any input would be helpful. Thanks =)
post #39 of 1421
Peter,

The gray has a much better black level than either the blank wall (mine was a very pale yellow) or the BW. Both the wall and the BW were quite a bit brighter, as you would expect, than the gray. Actually, I believe it was too bright on the wall and BW. The BW had the so-called "pop" factor in spades but, in my opinion, was spoiled by the too-high black level. Also, the gray rejects ambient light quite a bit better but I still find it best to view in a completely light controlled room. Also, for some odd reason, I found the CCW material to be a tad sharper than the BW but don't see how it could be! I had planned to paint the screen wall and ceiling gray but after getting the gray screen I don't think I need to. Sure, it would further improve the picture but I can easily live with it the way it is now. It looks great! BTW, I believe all the good things I've heard about David Giles and Carada. The screen (88" 1.78 format Criterion) is beautiful, the price is right, and you couldn't ask for better service!
post #40 of 1421
Guys

I have a Benq PE7700 with 114" BW Precision Carada screen. Awesome picture, construction...everything! Very professional and very good service and quality.

My neighbor has a DIY screen he built with wood moldings that he painted black....lets just say that he will be another Carada customer.

I do only want minimal lighting...small amount of light from adjacent room or from my rear sconces, more than that and the black level washes out too much.

Jim
post #41 of 1421
I am considering marrying my AE700 to a Carada and would like to have impressions of viewing cone for the BW material. Can anyone comment?

thanks,
ted
post #42 of 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksr View Post

Peter,

The gray has a much better black level than either the blank wall (mine was a very pale yellow) or the BW. Both the wall and the BW were quite a bit brighter, as you would expect, than the gray. Actually, I believe it was too bright on the wall and BW. The BW had the so-called "pop" factor in spades but, in my opinion, was spoiled by the too-high black level. Also, the gray rejects ambient light quite a bit better but I still find it best to view in a completely light controlled room. Also, for some odd reason, I found the CCW material to be a tad sharper than the BW but don't see how it could be! I had planned to paint the screen wall and ceiling gray but after getting the gray screen I don't think I need to. Sure, it would further improve the picture but I can easily live with it the way it is now. It looks great! BTW, I believe all the good things I've heard about David Giles and Carada. The screen (88" 1.78 format Criterion) is beautiful, the price is right, and you couldn't ask for better service!

Thank you Frank!

It seems strange that hardly anyone is using gray screens. My 700U seems bright enough on just the wall (143") and I can not completely darken my room (white walls, shiny wooden floors, 3 large windows but with blinds). Here is my room (pardon the mess). I think I should also get grey =)
LL
post #43 of 1421
Maybe I missed it reading through the thread, but how big are the screen samples?

I'm finishing up my theater as we speak and need to order a screen in the next month or two. I framed the screen area for a 106 1-1:78 Carada screen and now need to decide on whether I want CCW or HCG.

Thanks for any info anyone can share!
post #44 of 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

Maybe I missed it reading through the thread, but how big are the screen samples?

Funny you should ask - I just received mine today.
9.5" x 12.5" is what they measure.
Quite generous when compared to others.
Drop them some Email - David is prompt in replying.

ted
post #45 of 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvted View Post

Funny you should ask - I just received mine today.
9.5" x 12.5" is what they measure.
Quite generous when compared to others.
Drop them some Email - David is prompt in replying.

ted

Thanks tvted, will do!
post #46 of 1421
I am very intrigued by the Carada screens and I am contemplating purchasing the Z4 as my first projector. I want to have a CH setup eventually and really like the price and aspect ratios offered by the Carada screens. I have seen some decent reviews on Audioholics and hometheaterblog. However, projector central had next to nothing nice to say about Carada and basically suggested spending more or spending less. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

It is even acknowledged on the Carada web site the the HCG and CCW pass more light than the brilliant white making enough lumens from your projector a key factor. I have a room where can prevent light from coming in, but the ceiling is and will be white (the walls are a deep red). I plan on ceiling mounting a Z4 anywhere from 13 to 16 feet from the screen and was considering the 112" diagonal 2.35 to 1 (seating at 13.5 feet). I suspect my choice will be HCG or BW, but I will wait to get the projector and obtain some samples from Carada. However, any insights on this setup and the best screen material would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete
post #47 of 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post

I am very intrigued by the Carada screens and I am contemplating purchasing the Z4 as my first projector. I want to have a CH setup eventually and really like the price and aspect ratios offered by the Carada screens. I have seen some decent reviews on Audioholics and hometheaterblog. However, projector central had next to nothing nice to say about Carada and basically suggested spending more or spending less. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

It is even acknowledged on the Carada web site the the HCG and CCW pass more light than the brilliant white making enough lumens from your projector a key factor. I have a room where can prevent light from coming in, but the ceiling is and will be white (the walls are a deep red). I plan on ceiling mounting a Z4 anywhere from 13 to 16 feet from the screen and was considering the 112" diagonal 2.35 to 1 (seating at 13.5 feet). I suspect my choice will be HCG or BW, but I will wait to get the projector and obtain some samples from Carada. However, any insights on this setup and the best screen material would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

How many actual lumens does your projector put out? I would not use the HCG screen with anything less than 900 actual lumens as I think it would be too dim after the bulb dims a little. I use the HC gray and love it but I have a light cannon. My pj puts out a real 1250 lumens in low lamp mode.

I also own a BW screen and it looks fantastic. I am keeping it so when my bulb dims a little, I can get that punch back by putting it back on.

If you are at that 500 to 800 lumen range and have decent contrast and good light controll, you can't go wrong with the BW screen. Perfect uniformity and great colors.

If you have the brightness for the HC grey, don't go by the small sample. It will look very dark compared to a white wall and you will not be able to tell how good the picture will look. Colors, picture and brightness look fantastic on my HC gray screen. You need the full screen to really be able to tell how it will look. The main issue is final footlamberts. Use a gain number of around .6 to .7 for the HC gray and around 1.2 or 1.3 for the BW screen and shoot for 12 footlamberts when the bulb is 4 or 500 hours old.

FWIW
post #48 of 1421
Pete,

I have a Z4 that I will be using in a CIH setup. I purchased the BW in a 147" 2.35:1 size. My equivalent 16:9 size is 117" diagonal. Personally I would get the BW if you're looking at CIH. The Z4 should do fine with contrast on this screen. Slightly lower black detail compared to a grey screen is fine with me as long as the picture still has "pop". We should all be pretty use to a slight lack of black performance/detail where I could never get use to a dim picture. I don't think there's a better option than the Carada BW on the market for a 2.35:1 screen. It's a great value with what you get. At $645.08 MSRP for the Precision Series in the 112" 2.35:1 size you want I wouldn't hesitate.

Also, my installation is set for this weekend. I should be posting Pics this weekend and possibly videos later on for those that are interested. Check the 2.35:1 CIH forum here on AVS.

Dusk
post #49 of 1421
Thanks Dusk.

I have been looking at the CIH forum also. I look forward to your impressions of your setup once it is it up and running.

Pete
post #50 of 1421
I am in the market for a screen for my Pany AE900. I am looking at 110"D for a completely dark room with ideal seating about 13' back. Romm size is about 11' x 20'. The walls are a hunter green at the bottom and a tan at the top. The ceiling is a drop white ceiling. The floors have dark green carpet. We will put some lights on the back walls on a dimmer switch, but while watching movies we will proably have them off. If we watch TV or sports, we may have them dimmed low. There are no windows or any other ambient light. Would you guysgo with the BW or HC Grey? David recommended the BW, but others say the grey is better. Any thoughts? Also, do you think 110" is too big? should I go with a smaller size?
post #51 of 1421
Received my Carada 104" BW screen in Denmark today and having checked the shipment, it seems just gorgeous. Looks like A+ quality goods. Tomorrow I have a long drive getting my new Denon-3910, then getting back to assemble the screen and get it up. Big thanks to David from Carada.

Just got my room painted and carpet on today, so can't wait to see/listen to everything in action. Pictures and a couple of avi's below.
post #52 of 1421
Looks like Saturday is a big day for theater installs.
post #53 of 1421
Got everything up running today. The Carada screen is absolutely brilliant and not just because of the name. Haven't calibrated my Z4 yet and the picture is just so smooth and overall, beautiful.

Very easy to assemble, highly recommended!!!
post #54 of 1421
Flemming:

Please describe your setup a little bit. Ceiling mount? Seating distance? Do you see any hot spotting? How is your light control, ceiling and wall color, etc.

I am leaning toward your setup, but I am still on the fence somewhat.

Thanks, Pete
post #55 of 1421
Theres a couple of avi's in the homecinema section of my signature. My room is 5.5 meter long and 3.6 meters wide. I sit approx 4 meters from screen. Ceiling and upper walls are black, lower walls red, completely lightcontrolled. Not ceiling mount yet, but it will be, and 5 meters 4,7 meters from the screen.

I will go down calibrate some now, but I havent been able to see any hotspotting at all.

Regards
Flemming
post #56 of 1421
Hi,

Thinking about a 120" wide, 51" high 2.35 AR screen for a Panny AE900 mounted at 22 feet from the screen. Anyone comment on this setup w.r.t. viability? I will be using a horizontal lens and a scaler.

Thanks
~hemster
post #57 of 1421
any one here tried Carada screen BW with the Sim2 Domino series projectors ? Can the two work ?

thanks.
post #58 of 1421
Ok, took the plunge. I ordered a Carada Criterion 118" (1.78:1) BW screen. I am hoping I get it by this weekend, but it will be tight. I am pairing it with a new AE900U.

I will give feedback once I have everything hooked up.
post #59 of 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdinand77 View Post

any one here tried Carada screen BW with the Sim2 Domino series projectors ? Can the two work ?

thanks.

I would think just about anything would look great with the BW screen. I had it pared with my Sim2 C3X and the picture was very nice but I wanted to tone it down a little as I am putting out 1400 lumens in low lamp mode. I am now using the HC gray screen with it and love the picture. When the picture dims with bulb age I will just put the BW back on to get the punch back.

Figure about 1.2 gain with this screen.

Jeff
post #60 of 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCARACER View Post

I would think just about anything would look great with the BW screen. I had it pared with my Sim2 C3X and the picture was very nice but I wanted to tone it down a little as I am putting out 1400 lumens in low lamp mode. I am now using the HC gray screen with it and love the picture. When the picture dims with bulb age I will just put the BW back on to get the punch back.

Figure about 1.2 gain with this screen.

Jeff


Jeff,

That is one awesome projector!! i saw it with the firehawk at a show and it was fantastic.
So, BW should work w/ the 30H domino in your opinion ?

When you put back your bw back, will it still be tight when you stretch it back to the frame ?

maybe i should get the hc gray cloth only...hmm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › The official Carada screen thread.