or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › The official Elite screen thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official Elite screen thread. - Page 6

post #151 of 1663
Has anyone paired a Mistu HD1000U with the Elite M100XWH-E24?

Starting out and have not ordered either but looking for experiences with this screen. Given the offset of the HD1000U and the secondary room that would be used for this configuration(92" ceiling), I need the extra drop this screen offers. Only offered in MW so no option for gray. Curious on others experience and if any, the depth, height of the case. Every inch counts here and modeling it now on a 4"X4" depth/height.

Thanks,

Ham
post #152 of 1663
I just bought the Panasonic PT-AE1000U projector and im trying to find a good screen so i was looking at these elite screens and i was thinking of going with the 100" one in the fixed frame model, is this a good idea?
post #153 of 1663
Can anyone with the Cinetension model tell me whats the max drop from the bottom of the case to the top of the 16:9 screen they can get?

Oliver
post #154 of 1663
drop is 18". I just asked Elite. Just Ordered a 120" 16x9 Cinetention for my dad's theater.
post #155 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertola View Post

drop is 18". I just asked Elite. Just Ordered a 120" 16x9 Cinetention for my dad's theater.


Great! Thats what I need. Thanks!

Oliver
post #156 of 1663
my screen decided to drop 2 inches.

I went away for the holidays for a week, and came home to find that my elite screen had dropped 2 inches and the recoil no longer works.

The screen was first installed in a basement theater and remained in down position for about a year. I recently moved, and the recoil was working fine. It has been in down position in my new home for about 2 months.

Either the maintenance guys who where working on the plumbing while I was away messed with it, or something inside let go. I doubt the maintenance guys touched it, since they work for me and its just not a likely scenario.

So I am sort of stumped. Any input is appreciated.
post #157 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseeburg View Post

I just bought the Panasonic PT-AE1000U projector and im trying to find a good screen so i was looking at these elite screens and i was thinking of going with the 100" one in the fixed frame model, is this a good idea?

I just installed a 120" Light Gray Elite ez-Frame in my theater last week. I have it paired with an Optoma HD72 and I can recommend it without hesitation.
post #158 of 1663
I like the EZ frame screen. But ill be changing it soon. I was satisfied until new ones keep coming.
post #159 of 1663
looking for some input. i'm a long time da-lite manual guy. all model B's with CSR (controlled screen return). i've had matte white, hcmw and high power.

last summer my 3 year old took a bic ballpoint to my upstairs screen. i could have died, but it was actually pretty cute. she was drawing me a picture. at any rate, my wife's not real excited about replacing it because it doesn't bother her. well it bothers me, and i almost can't stand it anymore.

long story short, i'm looking at the 100" elite manual 16:9 because if i go from a 92" da-lite i could switch my two projectors around and have my in76 permanently reside upstairs in our main living room. (it just hasn't been getting used enough downstairs and i'd like to put some more hours on the lamp). it would also give me greater upgrade flexability down the road as my throw is at 14.5'.

can any of you who've either owned or seen da-lite manual screens comment on the elite 100" 16:9 version? the pricing is attractive, but i could probably get a custom da-lite for another $100 or so. the reviews i've read online have been pretty poor.
post #160 of 1663
I've read that Elite has recently changed their screen material (which is why you see R106H1 vs. just R106H). The H1 is the new material. I wonder if they've fixed some of the issues being reported here.
post #161 of 1663
OK I have a Sony VPL-HS51 projector in a controlled light, dark ceiling, dark carpet, brown walled dedicated home theatre. I have been thinking about the Elite Screens EZ-Frame R106WH1 (Tension Matte White material). I have read through the thread, and am concerned with what I read. Questions:

Does anybody have this screen in a similar setup?
Also -- I read somewhere, something negative about one of the two screens for home theater use -- is the white better than the grey, or vice versa?

Thanks!
post #162 of 1663
Has anyone used the Elite 100" pull up screen? I'm planning on ordering one tomorrow.
post #163 of 1663
I had a potential client place an order for an Elite screen, against my advice, and then after the screen arrived, backed out. I took the 120" 16:9 screen, Matte White, and put it on the wall of my theater. It's not the best picture, but if your just getting started, don't hesitate. At under $300.00 delivered, you can't beat it. HTMarket.COM were great to work with and very quick. I was told it would ship in 2 days and be there in a week. It went from California to Indianapolis in 2 days with no overnight shipping charges. Now that's fast!

A few Pros and Cons

Easy to set up and light weight. Colors are good, and blacks, although a bit subdued, still very acceptable. There were no waves or creases in the material.

The bad points are 2. First, the screen material is thinner than what you expect. This may/probably will lead to the edges rolling in over time, if left extended. And the worst of the items is the SMELL! Holy Schnikees! Boy oh boy do the chemicals smell. It goes away after a day, but, GAG ME!

We watched the Colts Patriots AFC Championship game, and everyone there was impressed. Even with 30 people gathered around, jumping and running at the screen on a good/bad play, the screen stayed stable.

Don't hesitate
post #164 of 1663
I have a 100" ez frame unused if you are interested.
post #165 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago25624 View Post

I had a potential client place an order for an Elite screen, against my advice, and then after the screen arrived, backed out. I took the 120" 16:9 screen, Matte White, and put it on the wall of my theater. It's not the best picture, but if your just getting started, don't hesitate. At under $300.00 delivered, you can't beat it. HTMarket.COM were great to work with and very quick. I was told it would ship in 2 days and be there in a week. It went from California to Indianapolis in 2 days with no overnight shipping charges. Now that's fast!

A few Pros and Cons

Easy to set up and light weight. Colors are good, and blacks, although a bit subdued, still very acceptable. There were no waves or creases in the material.

The bad points are 2. First, the screen material is thinner than what you expect. This may/probably will lead to the edges rolling in over time, if left extended. And the worst of the items is the SMELL! Holy Schnikees! Boy oh boy do the chemicals smell. It goes away after a day, but, GAG ME!

We watched the Colts Patriots AFC Championship game, and everyone there was impressed. Even with 30 people gathered around, jumping and running at the screen on a good/bad play, the screen stayed stable.

Don't hesitate

How did you get that size and that price from them? They show over 400 dollars.
post #166 of 1663
There is something strange right now at TigerDirect.ca

There is two VMAX 100" VMAX100UWH listed ???

Item #: E110-1012 - Mfg Part No: VMAX100UWH
Nominal Diagonal: 101"
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Viewing Size (H x W): 49" x 87"
Screen Size (H x W): 57" x 91"
Remote Control: IR
Over All Size (HxWxD): 60.6" x 91" x 3.1''
Case Length: 100"
Case Color: Black
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...16720&NoMapp=1


Item #: E110-1100 - Mfg Part No: VMAX100UWH-H (noticed the -H)
Nominal Diagonal: 100"
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Viewing Size (H x W): 49" x 87"
Screen Size (H x W): 67" x 91"
Remote Control: IR
Over All Size (HxWxD): 60.6" x 91" x 3.1''
Case Length: 100"
Case Color: Black
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...?EdpNo=1945538

Do I miss something here? What the -H means and why the screen size are not the same? Black drop lenght or just a typo? Both the same price too...


And god, thoses screens are cheap at only 254$ CND but the extra 202$ for shipping just make non sense.

The Mustang 106" at 331$ ship to my door for only an extra 35$...
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...238&CatId=2441

But the Elite look better and I really would like prefer a 100"... 106" might be just a little too big for my room and anyway, a larger screen means more chance to wave after time.
post #167 of 1663
Used my 100" Elite Pull-up now for a week and I'm please with it.
post #168 of 1663
i just ordered a package with this projector and screen combo. the screen i am getting is the Elite high contrast light gray screen. this is going in my basement where i can totally control all the light. there will be no sunlight comming in. do i need a white screen instead of the light gray? will any light, such as a lamp, affect a pure white screen?

i need help fast, because i placed my order and i need time to change it if i could.


this is what i got.. Elite Screen model #R92H1

http://www.projectionguys.com/product.cfm?id=47

Elite Screens brings together the latest in Screen Technology when they introduced their new Fixed Frame Series.

The screen is a .9 Gain High Contrast Grey Material for outstanding black levels in different lighting conditions. They have also used a premium black crushed velvet trim coating over their durable alumunim frame. When you want the best for home theater, get the new Elite ez-frame series.



Features:

Weight: 19.00 lbs
Warranty: 1 Year


45" X 80" Viewing Area

92" Diagonal
post #169 of 1663
I wouldn't go with the grey. I've seen reviews that the grey is pretty dark, and you'll lose light output. If the room is light controlled, the white should be fine. I got some samples of their tension white material, and it compared favorably to my Da-lite high contrast matte white, 1.1 gain. It's not really quite as bright was the Da-lite, but pretty close. I just picked up the Cinetension electric screen, and I'm installing it tomorrow.
post #170 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscardeuce View Post

I wouldn't go with the grey. I've seen reviews that the grey is pretty dark, and you'll lose light output. If the room is light controlled, the white should be fine. I got some samples of their tension white material, and it compared favorably to my Da-lite high contrast matte white, 1.1 gain. It's not really quite as bright was the Da-lite, but pretty close. I just picked up the Cinetension electric screen, and I'm installing it tomorrow.

I agree. I bought the gray because I have some ambient day time light, and it is just too dark. If I were to do it over I would purchase the white, especially if I had a room with controlled lighting day or night. By the way, my projector is a Panny AE-900 about 18 feet from a 106 inch screen.

Hey Oscardeuce, I have emailed and phone elite trying to get a sample of the white for over a month now and they just can't seem to get one to me. Are you through evaluating yours? I would be glad to paypal some money to you if you would send it to me. Just PM me if you have any interest.
post #171 of 1663
Stay away from the Grey!!

I just bought my first projector from the same "guys". I went with a package deal since I had no idea which screen to use with a Z5 in a completely light controlled room. I assumed that these people knew what they were doing when they put these packages together.

Right.

A grey screen made sense in my case for better contrast but, while the Elite Screen model #R92H1 is a nice screen for the money, it's entirely too dark even with my basement (meaning no windows) theater. It has no pop and I cannot use the lower light output options on the Z5. I bought a DVE Calibration Disk and it's acceptable now, but I will eventually change to a white screen. Lesson learned.

BTW, I'm throwing 17' onto a 92" screen.
post #172 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezeez View Post

Stay away from the Grey!! I just bought my first projector from the same "guys".

Yep, bought a package from them too, which included the gray screen in the tab tensioned electric. And when I called to complain about the gray, they said that everyone else who has ordered it was very pleased and they had no complaints. Now, try selling a 106 inch screen afterwards when it can't be shipped for less than $150. Oh well, now I am in the market for a white screen, and will likely have to eat the 106.
post #173 of 1663
is the gray dark gray or very light gray, almost white? post some pics of you could. i have to decide what screen i want asap. i can stick with the eilte light gray or get the elite matte white for $75 more. i really dont want to spend an extra $75.
post #174 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpartyshack View Post

I agree. I bought the gray because I have some ambient day time light, and it is just too dark. If I were to do it over I would purchase the white, especially if I had a room with controlled lighting day or night. By the way, my projector is a Panny AE-900 about 18 feet from a 106 inch screen.

Hey Oscardeuce, I have emailed and phone elite trying to get a sample of the white for over a month now and they just can't seem to get one to me. Are you through evaluating yours? I would be glad to paypal some money to you if you would send it to me. Just PM me if you have any interest.


which model screen did you get...
post #175 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by one028 View Post

i really dont want to spend an extra $75.

It is very dark gray. Get the white. $75 now is better than throwing away $750 on the wrong screen. I can speak from experience. I bought the tab tensioned 106 gray, don't know the model number off hand.
post #176 of 1663
projection guys told me that the old elite gray screens were darker, and the new ones are a lighter gray...you can tell by the model number...the H1 screens are the new model.


here is a review of the updated elite screens with the lighter gray...i dont know if you have the newer model or older darker model,

http://www.projectorreviews.com/Elit...meHC/index.asp
post #177 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezeez View Post

Stay away from the Grey!!

I just bought my first projector from the same "guys". I went with a package deal since I had no idea which screen to use with a Z5 in a completely light controlled room. I assumed that these people knew what they were doing when they put these packages together.

Right.

A grey screen made sense in my case for better contrast but, while the Elite Screen model #R92H1 is a nice screen for the money, it's entirely too dark even with my basement (meaning no windows) theater. It has no pop and I cannot use the lower light output options on the Z5. I bought a DVE Calibration Disk and it's acceptable now, but I will eventually change to a white screen. Lesson learned.

BTW, I'm throwing 17' onto a 92" screen.


are you 100% positive you got the R92H1? they said that the H1 is the newest model of elite gray screens. the older H model was a darker gray that wasnt very good.
post #178 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezeez View Post

Stay away from the Grey!!

I just bought my first projector from the same "guys". I went with a package deal since I had no idea which screen to use with a Z5 in a completely light controlled room. I assumed that these people knew what they were doing when they put these packages together.

Right.

A grey screen made sense in my case for better contrast but, while the Elite Screen model #R92H1 is a nice screen for the money, it's entirely too dark even with my basement (meaning no windows) theater. It has no pop and I cannot use the lower light output options on the Z5. I bought a DVE Calibration Disk and it's acceptable now, but I will eventually change to a white screen. Lesson learned.

BTW, I'm throwing 17' onto a 92" screen.

Greetings, I thought I would weigh in, since as some have mentioned, I liked the gray in my review. Generally grey screens take some getting used to. And if you have a projector that's not particularly bright - such as the Z5, yes you will likely not run it in best mode, to get the lumens.

But more to the point, I believe some of the confusion comes from "which screen is which". To my best understanding, the Cinetension and the fixed wall - the ezFrame (I reviewed the EZ frame), have a newer, and definitely much lighter gray surface. In addition, it really isn't very "High Contrast". It is a combination that I really like.

It's no match for my Firehawk, and lighter gray to boot, but I found using it pleasing with all but dim projectors, and not even bad there. I suspect that those of you saying its pretty dark, have the older versions (without the 1), or have a pull down? I reviewed the ezFrame back in August and the surface was pretty new I believe. I don't know what they were putting into the VMAX or other motorized, but I'm pretty sure the pulldowns did not have it.

Hope that helps a little... I wouldn't bet the farm that I got everything straight here, but I'm pretty sure those not happy with their grays, do not have the fabric that is on the ezFrame I reviewed (R100H1, if I recall correctly).

Biggest problem is that picking screens is more subjective than the projectors, and tougher to choose.

-art
post #179 of 1663
Again, Stay away from the grey!

All of my paper work states that I have the R92H1. It's not a very dark grey, more like a dull white. I took delivery just after Christmas so I'm sure it's the newer material.

Bottom line is that a screen is a subjective choice. Most new projector buyers such as myself are very confused about what screen to buy. From now on, I will always error on the possibilty of a screen being a little too bright then end up with the unimpressive dullness that I have now. Unless of course the projector I buy is powered by a small slice of the sun.

Most under $2000 projectors, even the ones that are rated as bright for the class, are not that bright in a real world application.
post #180 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezeez View Post

Again, Stay away from the grey!

All of my paper work states that I have the R92H1. It's not a very dark grey, more like a dull white. I took delivery just after Christmas so I'm sure it's the newer material.

Bottom line is that a screen is a subjective choice. Most new projector buyers such as myself are very confused about what screen to buy. From now on, I will always error on the possibilty of a screen being a little too bright then end up with the unimpressive dullness that I have now. Unless of course the projector I buy is powered by a small slice of the sun.

Most under $2000 projectors, even the ones that are rated as bright for the class, are not that bright in a real world application.

Greetings Dezeez,

I understand your frustration, and your screen isn't even that large. I'm not sure by any means, but suspect that your walls are not dark, and that makes a huge difference.

There is another factor to consider, as well. As we all know, the Z5 is not particularly bright, but further complicating that, your 17 foot placement to a 92" screen indicates (without me looking up the throw chart) that your zoom lens is just about full telephoto position. In that position, your Z5 produces less than half the brightness as full wide angle.

So, you are double blessed, in lack of lumens... In the Sanyo's best mode; Pure Cinema, lamp at low power, iris closed down, you are probably lucky if you are getting much more than 160 lumens.

My guess is that you probably are running it in a different mode, just way too dim there. And that's the rub... the primary purpose of a gray HC is lower black levels - something the Z5 doesn't need in its best modes. The only other reason for that type of screen is the HC rejecting some side ambient light...

Yes, your circumstances almost certainly call for a white surface (btw, in my review I recommend the carada brilliant white, stewart studeotek 130 and similar screens all with 1.1 to 1.4 gain...

However, if someone is buying a DLP that in best mode is cranking out close to 500 lumens, very common - like the low cost Mits HD1000 or Optoma HD70 or HD72, (all of them can produce at least 400 lumens in low power/best mode, if I recall correctly, then owners of those projectors, have at least 2 and probably 3 times the lumens you have to work with. Yes, you probably aren't in best mode/low power with your screen, but same applies, those projectors can all pretty much crank out 700+ lumens still in one of their best modes, and lamp on full power... But, only the HD72 lacks a "white" slice on its color filter, so the Z5 with its dynamic iris, etc. can do better black levels, and therefore be less likely to call for HC gray...

So, in summary, your R92H1 definitely sounds like a weak match for you, unless you are a black level fanatic, which you are obviously not.

That doesn't negate the use of hc gray type screens with much brighter projectors than the Z5 (which is virtually every other current, under $2000 projector)... and especially those Darkchip2 DLP projectors with the white slice (7 segment wheels).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › The official Elite screen thread.